Rideshare services, such as Uber and Lyft, have become increasingly popular all over the world, particularly in the State of Florida. In Bradenton, hundreds of people use Uber or Lyft daily to travel around for cheap. However, their popularity means it’s inevitable that ridesharing services are involved in car accidents occasionally, and it seems like the number of crashes will only increase as so does their use.
If you have been involved in a car accident and the other driver is found to be at fault, then they could be held liable for the injuries and damages sustained by the people involved in the crash. However, this is slightly different if you were a passenger of an Uber or Lyft vehicle at the time of the crash. If the Uber or Lyft driver caused the accident by negligence, then they’re liable for your injuries.
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in a car accident caused by an Uber or Lyft driver in Bradenton, then you should contact The Law Place. You could be entitled to compensation for the injuries and damages you sustained in the crash. In order to claim the money you deserve, you will need the help of a skilled personal injury lawyer who knows the complexities of the Florida legal system. Our team at The Law Place has over 75 years of collective experience in helping clients with cases just like yours. We offer free case evaluations for all of our clients, so if you have been involved in an Uber or Lyft accident, contact us today.
To speak to one of our diligent personal injury attorneys, call us at (941) 444-4444! Phone lines are open 24/7.
In This Article
- Common Causes of Uber and Lyft Accidents in Bradenton, FL.
- What Injuries Can a Florida Uber or Lyft Accident Cause?
- What to Do if You Are Injured in an Uber or Lyft
- Who Is Liable for an Uber or Lyft Accident?
- Florida’s Comparative Negligence Laws
- Whose Insurance Covers Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accidents
- How Should I Deal With My Insurance Company?
- Losses You May Be Able to Recover After a Uber or Lyft Accident in Bradenton, FL.
- What Will The Law Place Do for Me?
- How Much Will My Accident Lawyer Cost?
- Contact The Law Place Today!
Common Causes of Uber and Lyft Accidents in Bradenton, FL.
Although they often have plenty of experience, Uber and Lyft drivers can still make the same mistakes that regular drivers do. Some things that can often cause car accidents are listed below:
- Fatigued drivers.
- Poor weather and/or road conditions.
- Distracted driving.
- Reckless or aggressive driving.
- Driving under the influence.
- Failure to yield.
However, the rideshare driver involved isn’t always the cause of the collision. The vehicle itself may not have been adequately maintained, or the manufacturer may not have built the car correctly or may have used defective parts. In many cases, a crash may be caused by another third-party driver.
Regardless of what caused the accident, you will be entitled to compensation if the crash was not your fault. If you’ve been involved in an Uber or Lyft accident because of someone else’s negligence, then you should call The Law Place today to schedule a free consultation. Our accident attorneys all have extensive knowledge when it comes to Florida law, and so you can rely on their legal advice and trust that they’ll be your best chance at recovering compensation.
What Injuries Can a Florida Uber or Lyft Accident Cause?
All car accidents have the potential to leave those involved suffering from devastating and life-changing injuries. In some extreme cases, these injuries can, unfortunately, sometimes prove to be fatal. Listed below are some of the most common injuries sustained in rideshare accidents:
- Burns, lacerations, cuts, bruises, and sprains.
- Whiplash and other neck injuries.
- Brain damage and head trauma.
- Separated joints.
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Internal bleeding.
- Internal organ damage.
- Wrongful death.
Regardless of how minor or severe the injuries you sustained may have been, you should know that you can always seek compensation if the accident that caused the injuries was not your fault. Our car accident attorneys at The Law Place have the experience and skill necessary to fight for the justice that you deserve. So call our law firm now to book a free case evaluation!
What to Do if You Are Injured in an Uber or Lyft
If you’ve been involved in a car accident involving either Uber or Lyft, then there are some steps you should consider taking in order to protect your legal rights and ensure you have the best chance possible at securing compensation:
- Seek medical attention – If you have been injured, you’ll likely need medical treatment. Even if you don’t think your injuries require medical attention, you should still follow up with your doctor after the accident. Some injuries may not reveal symptoms for a while but could later prove life-threatening if left untreated. Seeking medical treatment will also provide you and your lawyers with evidence of the extent of your injuries caused by the accident, which will help your case and help your team establish the extent of your medical expenses.
- Contact the police – It’s crucial that you report any accident to law enforcement, who will be able to thoroughly investigate the accident. A police report can be used as strong evidence and to provide important information for establishing who was negligent and all relevant details.
- Get insurance and witness information – You should ask for the insurance information of the Uber or Lyft driver and any other drivers that were involved in the accident. The drivers may refuse to provide you with their insurance details – if this happens, you should wait for the police to arrive and collect the information. If there are any witnesses to the accident, you should also ask for their contact information.
- Take photographs – If you are able to, you should take photographs of the scene of the accident, damage to the vehicles involved, and your injuries. These photos can be used to establish who was at fault and substantiate your injury claims.
Who Is Liable for an Uber or Lyft Accident?
If you’re injured in an accident caused by a rideshare driver, then you could be entitled to seek compensation from the negligent driver. Depending on the circumstances, the company itself may owe you compensation. However, if the accident is caused by another vehicle, then you may only be able to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
On the occasions where it is the Uber or Lyft driver responsible for the accident, then the ridesharing service could also be liable. This depends on whether the driver was transporting a passenger, traveling to pick up a passenger, or signed into the ridesharing service mobile app looking for a passenger at the time of the accident.
If one of these three circumstances applied to the car accident, then Uber or Lyft and its insurance coverage may be held liable for the crash, especially if the rideshare driver is found to be at fault.
Florida’s Comparative Negligence Laws
In Bradenton and the rest of Florida, the legal system works within a comparative fault system, which is explained under Florida Statute 768.81. This means that more than one party could potentially be found negligent for an accident, even the victims of the crash.
However, as long as you are found to be less than 50% at fault, you may still be able to file a claim, although your settlement will be reduced by the same percentage that you are judged to be at fault. For example, if you are deemed to be 20% at fault, then you can still file a lawsuit, but your final settlement will be reduced by 20%.
It will be in the opposing party’s insurance companies’ best interest to argue that you were largely at fault in order to reduce the settlement they have to pay you, so we highly advise you to hire a car accident lawyer to ensure that you’re not taken advantage of and that you win the maximum amount of compensation possible. So don’t hesitate to contact The Law Place today to schedule a free consultation.
Whose Insurance Covers Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accidents
It is a requirement under Florida Statute 627.748 for both the rideshare companies and rideshare drivers to carry the necessary liability insurance, which covers passengers and others in the event of an accident. They must also carry enhanced coverage so that they are covered while they’re logged into the app and providing rides, and rideshare companies must provide this coverage if a driver can’t. Currently, both Uber and Lyft carry this insurance.
If Uber or Lyft drivers are negligent and cause an accident, then their insurance company and the rideshare company’s insurance companies should provide coverage. This coverage extends to rideshare passengers and other drivers, passengers, cyclists, or pedestrians that were also involved in the crash.
How Should I Deal With My Insurance Company?
Under Florida law, victims of car accidents must inform their auto insurance company as soon as possible, within 24 hours of the accident happening. However, we recommend that you get in touch with an experienced personal injury lawyer before you contact your insurance company to get legal advice.
If you must speak to the insurance companies first, then you should try to keep your statements short and stick to the truth, but don’t offer any more details than what is absolutely necessary. From the very beginning, they will be working with claim adjusters and their own personal injury lawyers to discredit your claim and ensure they pay out as little as possible. Because of this, be sure to contact an accident lawyer if you have been involved in a car accident in Bradenton to get specific advice on what you should and shouldn’t say.
Losses You May Be Able to Recover After a Uber or Lyft Accident in Bradenton, FL.
If you or a loved one were a victim of a Uber or Lyft accident that was not your fault, then our law firm wants to help you. Once we’ve determined who was liable for your accident, we’ll put together a case on your behalf and fight tirelessly to secure the maximum compensation that you deserve.
The most common damages that The Law Place has won compensation for are listed below:
- Medical bills – If you required medical treatment as a result of your injuries, then you may be entitled to receive compensation to cover the surgeries and other medical expenses.
- Loss of wages – If you were not able to attend work because of the accident, then you deserve to have your lost wages covered.
- Lost earning capacity – If the consequences of the collision mean you can no longer work as many hours or may even need to completely retire, then you deserve compensation.
- Pain and suffering – You may be enduring emotional trauma and mental distress from the accident that you deserve compensation for.
- Property damage – If your vehicle was damaged in the crash, then you deserve to have your auto repairs or vehicle replacement covered.
- Wrongful death – If you have lost a loved one in an Uber or Lyft accident, then you may be entitled to cover funeral costs and loss of consortium.
If you have been involved in a rideshare accident that wasn’t your fault, then you shouldn’t have to face the consequences alone. We know that compensation won’t be able to heal your injuries or trauma, but it will be able to help you financially and serve as proof that justice has been served. So contact The Law Place today to speak to an accident attorney for guidance and support through the legal process. Call now to schedule a free consultation.
What Will The Law Place Do for Me?
The Law Place offers free consultations for anyone who believes they may have a claim, meaning that you’d be able to sit down with an experienced Bradenton lawyer and discuss the specific details of your case and the best legal options available to you. We will also be able to roughly estimate how much compensation you deserve.
After this consultation, you will decide whether you wish to continue working with The Law Place. If you choose to continue with our law firm, we’ll arrange a second meeting with you, where we’ll be able to explore the accident in much more depth. We will take charge of your case, gather evidence, interview witnesses, and speak to all the parties who were involved. This means that you can rest assured knowing that professionals are dealing with your case, and you can relax and focus on healing,
So give yourself the best chance at securing the compensation you’re entitled to by scheduling a free consultation with The Law Place today.
How Much Will My Accident Lawyer Cost?
Many people are reluctant to hire a personal injury lawyer because they’re concerned about how much it could cost them. It’s often assumed that worthwhile legal representation isn’t affordable, and many are worried that they could end up facing surprise costs on top of the financial burden they’re already struggling with.
However, our team at The Law Place work on a contingency basis, commonly know as no-win-no-fee, meaning there’s nothing for you to fear. This ultimately means that, unless we win your case, you will not have to pay us a single cent. If we are successful, you will not have to pay anything from your pocket – instead, we’ll subtract our legal fees from the settlement you win.
And because our law firm is strictly monitored by The State Bar Association, you can trust that we won’t be charging you any unexpected costs – we will be completely transparent when it comes to our legal fees.
Contact The Law Place Today!
If you have been involved in a car accident in Bradenton or elsewhere in Florida, then you should contact The Law Place for our help. Victims of rideshare accidents are often left suffering from the injuries and trauma caused, but at our law firm, we have the experience, resources, and skill necessary to fight on your behalf to get you compensation for your injuries.
Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don’t hesitate to contact us! Get in touch with us today to book a free consultation with a skilled personal injury attorney. You deserve justice, and we’ll do everything we can to secure it for you! Call us today at (941) 444-4444!