Being involved in an auto accident or crash is extremely stressful and may result in serious injuries, medical costs, lost income and emotional trauma. But what happens when the accident involves a rideshare service like Uber or Lyft?
In this article, we’ll cover a number of aspects relating to exactly this topic, as well as covering some of the most frequently asked questions about Uber and Lyft accident cases.
If you’ve been involved in an accident with a rideshare company, it’s wise to secure the right legal representation to assist you navigate the often-complicated process of filing a claim for compensation for your damages. That’s where an Orlando Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident Lawyer can help you.
Our experienced team of Orlando car accident lawyers are dedicated to advocating for the rights of accident victims, and we’re here to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
If you’ve been involved in an Uber or Lyft accident, don’t hesitate to call The Law Place today at (941)-444-4444.
Common Causes of Uber and Lyft Accidents
There are several common causes of Uber and Lyft accidents, including:
- Distracted Driving – Using smartphones, drivers can easily become distracted – leading to serious accidents.
- Driver Fatigue – Uber and Lyft drivers often work long hours without taking a break. This can lead to fatigue and decreased alertness.
- Reckless Driving – Drivers may practice reckless behaviors like speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, and running red lights or stop signs.
- Poor Weather Conditions – Adverse weather conditions can make driving more hazardous thereby increasing the risk of road accidents.
- Vehicle Maintenance Issues – Uber and Lyft drivers are responsible for maintaining their vehicles, if they don’t maintain their vehicles regularly, accidents can sometimes occur.
- Inexperienced Drivers – New rideshare drivers may lack the skills and experience to safely navigate the roads which may lead to accidents.
- Road Hazards – Potholes, debris, and other hazards on the road can cause accidents.
- Intoxicated Or Drugged Driving – Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs are a serious danger to themselves and other road users.
There are other factors such as road construction, mechanical failures, and other external factors that can also contribute to accidents.
If you have been in an Uber or Lyft accident, it’s crucial to contact an Orlando rideshare accident attorneys at The Law Place. Let us help you determine the cause of the accident, deal with the insurance provider and seek maximum compensation for your suffering.
Understanding Your Legal Rights As aAn Uber Or Lyft Passenger
As an Uber or Lyft passenger, you have certain legal rights afforded you in the event of an accident. Here are some important things to bear in mind:
- You Have the Right to Receive Medical Attention – If you are injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, you have the right to receive medical attention. Prompt medical attention is essential to ensure your injuries are properly recorded and treated.
- You Have the Right to Document the Accident – Take pictures or videos of the accident scene, your injuries, and any damage to vehicles.
- You Have the Right to File a Claim – If you have suffered in an Uber or Lyft accident, it’s possible you may be able to file a claim with the rideshare company’s insurance provider.
- You Have the Right to Hire an Attorney – If you have suffered due to an Uber or Lyft accident, you should seek the advice of an experienced attorney who can help you understand your rights, investigate the accident, explain your options and pursue a claim for compensation for your damages.
- You Have the Right to Pursue Compensation – If the accident was caused by an Uber or Lyft driver being negligent, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, pain, suffering, and other damages.
With over 75 years of combined experience, The Law Place has handled cases in almost every Florida County as well as various Federal Courts. The lawyers at The Law Place have heard the stories, have supported our clients through difficult times, and will be there for you 100 percent as we pursue your case.
What to Do Immediately After an Uber Or Lyft Accident
In the event of a Lyft or Uber accident, there are a number of steps to take immediately to protect your legal rights and ensure your safety.
- Check yourself and others for injuries. Call emergency services immediately if anyone is injured.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident until authorities arrive. Exchange contact and insurance information with other drivers involved, if applicable.
- Collect evidence of the accident by taking photos or videos of the scene, the damage to vehicles or property, and ask witnesses for their contact information.
- Report the accident to the Lyft or Uber company straight away. Speak with the police to provide a statement and importantly, obtain a copy of the police report.
- It’s crucial to seek medical attention, even if you don’t feel injured, because some injuries may not present symptoms until days or weeks after the accident.
- Finally, contacting an experienced Uber or Lyft accident attorney who can guide you through the process and pursue a claim for compensation for your damages is highly recommended.
Many of our lawyers at The Law Place are AVVO 10.0 rated, the highest rating possible on the site, based on associations, trial skills, awards, lengthy service and client reviews.
Filing an Accident Claim With Uber Or Lyft
To file an insurance claim with Uber or Lyft after an accident, there are a number of steps you should take. After reporting the accident to the ride-share company, gather information about the incident, including the date, time, location, who was involved, and any witnesses.
Contact the insurance company, provide all the relevant information and documentation, and coordinate with the driver’s insurance if necessary. If you have sustained any injuries, provide medical reports to the insurance company for documentation.
Keep track of all expenses related to the accident, including medical costs, lost wages and vehicle repairs incurred. Follow up regularly with the insurance company to get updates about the status of your claim. It is important to follow these steps carefully, as filing an insurance claim with Uber or Lyft can be a complex process.
Due to the complexity of dealing with insurance providers, it is extremely wise to employ the services of The Law Place who are familiar with the tactics insurance providers may use and will deal directly with them.
Dealing With Insurance Adjusters
Dealing with insurance adjusters can be a challenging and stressful process, but there are several tips to help you navigate it.
Before any dispute arises, make sure you understand your policy and coverage. Be clear, concise, and honest in your communication with the insurance adjuster and keep concise records of all conversations.
Take photos and videos of any damage and injuries and keep a written account of what happened.
Seek professional help, such as from one of the dedicated attorneys at The Law Place, if you are having difficulty negotiating. Negotiations can become a minefield for the uninitiated, so it’s always wise to seek legal counsel.
By being prepared, communicating effectively, seeking skilled legal counsel, and understanding the appeal process, you can increase your chances of success.
Filing a Lawsuit Against Uber Or Lyft
Filing a lawsuit against Uber or Lyft is a major step that needs to be thought out carefully. Before filing, you’ll need to determine if there is a valid legal claim against the rideshare company.
It’s important to gather all relevant documentation, including police reports, medical records, and any other correspondence with the company. Seeking legal advice from an experienced attorney with experience in cases against ride-sharing companies is crucial.
Filing a lawsuit against Uber or Lyft should be taken seriously by injured accident victims and only after taking all necessary steps to ensure a valid legal claim.
How a Rideshare Accident Lawyer Can Help
A rideshare accident lawyer can provide valuable assistance in several ways if you have been involved in an road accident while using a rideshare service like Uber or Lyft. Here are some of the ways a rideshare accident lawyer can help:
- Legal Representation – A rideshare accident lawyer can represent you and your best interests in any legal proceedings, including negotiations with insurance companies and rideshare defense attorneys.
- Determining Liability – A rideshare accident lawyer is trained to investigate and determine fault and liability for the accident, which can often be complicated in rideshare cases.
- Calculating Damages – A rideshare accident lawyer can help determine the potential damages that may be available to you, including lost wages, medical costs, and pain and suffering endured.
- Negotiating A Settlement – A rideshare accident lawyer can negotiate with insurance companies and defense attorneys on your behalf to secure the best settlement for you.
- Litigating In Court – If negotiations fail, a rideshare accident lawyer can represent you in court and argue your case before a judge and in front of a jury.
A rideshare accident lawyer can provide valuable assistance by representing you legally, helping to determine liability, calculating damages, negotiating settlements, or litigating in court.
FAQs About Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accidents
Here are some frequently asked questions about Uber and Lyft rideshare accidents:
What Should I Do If I Am Involved in an Uber or Lyft Accident?
Firstly, make sure everyone is safe and call emergency services if necessary. Then, exchange contact and insurance information with all involved, including the driver and witnesses. Take photos or videos of the scene, any damage, and the driver’s license, registration, and insurance details. It’s then wise to contact a Lyft or Uber accident lawyer who has experience in rideshare accident cases to help guide you through the legal process and discuss your options.
Who Is Responsible for My Damages in an Uber or Lyft Accident?
Determining liability in rideshare accidents can be complicated. The driver should have a personal auto insurance policy and the rideshare company’s insurance policy and they may both apply, depending on whether the driver was on the way to pick up a passenger, on a trip with a passenger, or offline. A rideshare accident lawyer at The Law Place can help investigate who is responsible for your damages.
How Much Insurance Coverage Is Available in an Uber or Lyft Accident?
Uber and Lyft both provide up to $1 million in liability coverage to drivers and passengers while on a trip or on the way to pick up a passenger. However, the amount of coverage available may depend on many other factors, including the driver’s personal insurance coverage and whether the driver was at fault. A committed rideshare accident lawyer at The Law Place can help determine how much insurance coverage is available to you.
Can I sue Uber or Lyft After an Accident?
In some cases, you may be able to sue the rideshare company if their driver was at fault for the accident. However, this can be difficult, as rideshare companies often classify their drivers as self-employed rather than employees. A rideshare accident lawyer at The Law Place can help determine if you have a realistic case against a rideshare company.
Contact The Law Place Today!
Navigating the legal process alone can be overwhelming. The Law Place is dedicated to fighting for the rights of victims of rideshare accidents and helping them get the compensation they deserve.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a rideshare accident in Orlando, contact us today for a free consultation. Let us help you get justice and the financial support you’re entitled to.
Don’t wait. Call now at (941)-444-4444 and take the first step towards pursuing the justice you deserve!