Rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft have grown in popularity over the recent years, with up to millions of users worldwide. It is overall a fairly easy and convenient method of transportation to get you where you need to be. However, the increase in popularity has also resulted in an increase in car accidents involving Uber and Lyft rideshare services.
Every driver risks the possibility of getting involved in a car accident when they are on the road, and Uber or Lyft rideshare services are no exception. If you were injured in a rideshare car accident, then you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other related losses in North Port. However, it can be difficult to prove liability after an Uber or Lyft crash due to the different laws and regulations of rideshare services. That is why you will need a car accident lawyer with the necessary skills and resources to handle the case.
The Law Place has over seventy-five years of collective experience and knowledge when it comes to defending the legal rights of people who have suffered injuries and losses as a result of a car accident in North Port and across the State of Florida. We know that it might seem intimidating to take big companies to court, but our legal team has managed hundreds of cases involving Uber and Lyft rideshare services with great success, and we know that we can succeed with your case too.
If you call our office today, we can set up a free consultation in which a car accident lawyer will discuss the details of your case and offer advice to help you in your current situation. Our phone lines are open 24/7.
In This Article
- What Are Rideshare Services in North Port, FL?
- The Law on Rideshare Accidents in North Port, FL.
- Statute of Limitations on Rideshare Accidents in North Port, FL.
- Steps to Take After Getting Into a Rideshare Accident in North Port, FL.
- How Rideshare Accidents Are Managed in North Port, FL.
- When Uber and Lyft’s Insurance Policies Do or Don’t Apply in North Port, FL.
- Uber and Lyft Insurance Claims in North Port, FL.
- Types of Compensation Available After a Rideshare Accident in North Port, FL.
- How to Choose a Rideshare Accident Lawyer in North Port, FL.
- Contact The Law Place Today in North Port, FL.
What Are Rideshare Services in North Port, FL?
Uber was established in the year. Since then, the rideshare company has skyrocketed with millions of users worldwide. Customers consider it to be the more preferred method of transportation due to the convenient mobile application and the privacy that the service provides, as opposed to hailing for a taxi in the middle of the street or taking the train with hundreds of other people.
On the Uber mobile application, a user simply has to type in their current location and their desired destination, and then they are linked with the nearest available Uber driver. As soon as their trip is confirmed on the application, the user will see the driver, their vehicle model, and the past ratings of the driver that is coming to collect them. Making the payment, including tipping the driver, will be completed on the mobile application.
Following the success of Uber, another popular rideshare service known as Lyft was established in 2012. Uber and Lyft gained the name ‘rideshare programs’ as a way to allow drivers to share their personal vehicle with a third party to transport them to their destination. Uber and Lyft have a responsibility to provide a safe environment for the employed drivers and every rideshare passenger who pays for their service throughout the world.
Uber and Lyft have seen rapid growth in popularity over the years. Both companies are widely used in the State of Florida, especially in North Port, which means that the companies rake in millions of dollars every year, and they can afford to hire teams of defense lawyers in the event that an accident occurs. It is imperative that you hire a car accident lawyer with experience in handling Uber and Lyft cases to achieve justice for you and your family.
The Law on Rideshare Accidents in North Port, FL.
Rideshare companies follow the regulation and requirements of the ‘Uber/Lyft’ bill, also known as House Bill 221, which was established as law in May 2017.
The bill outlines a series of requirements for rideshare drivers and their companies. One of the requirements explains the minimum insurance coverage specifications for rideshare drivers who are logged into the rideshare app or in the middle of transporting passengers. This is an important factor for insurance coverage, as it will determine whether the rideshare driver was using their vehicle for business purposes or personal use. This is why Uber and Lyft have a company insurance plan but also require all of their drivers to hold personal car insurance. A driver who was not using their vehicle for rideshare purposes at the time of a crash will not be eligible to receive company insurance coverage from Uber or Lyft.
Statute of Limitations on Rideshare Accidents in North Port, FL.
Every state carries different laws and regulations for accidents, also known as the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations refers to the amount of time that a victim has to begin the process of taking legal action after a car accident.
A rideshare driver who wishes to file a personal injury claim must look into the relevant statute of limitations in the State of Florida. There is currently not a statute of limitations that is specific for rideshare accidents. However, there is a four-year deadline for personal injury claims. If you fail to file a personal injury claim within the set time period, you will miss out on recovering compensation for your injuries and damages in the aftermath of a car accident.
Florida Statue 95.11 outlines the statute of limitations in the State of Florida.
Steps to Take After Getting Into a Rideshare Accident in North Port, FL.
Many people would not know what to do if they were to get into a car accident as a rideshare passenger. In this case, the Uber or Lyft driver would have the responsibility to ensure the safety of their passengers and assessing any damages after the accident.
It can get tricky when it comes to determining liability for a rideshare car accident and how to seek compensation for injuries and other damages. We understand that a rideshare car accident can be overwhelming, but there are certain steps that you can take to protect your legal rights, such as:
- Safety – Your safety and other passengers’ safety should be the number one priority in the aftermath of a car accident. If you or anyone else suffered injuries or have fallen unconscious, then you must immediately call an ambulance for medical assistance.
- Information – Once you have checked yourself and others for injuries, collect the contact information of all the people involved in the car accident. This will include names, phone numbers, addresses, insurance information, and vehicle registration numbers.
- Contact the police – It is imperative that you call the police to the scene of the accident, as explained in Florida Statute 316.062. They will offer assistance and file a report of the crash, which can also be used as evidence to support your personal injury claim later.
- Evidence – It is worth taking your own personal notes at the scene of the crash, such as the time and location of the accident, any injuries sustained, pictures of the crash, damage to the vehicles, screenshot of your rideshare receipt (in the Uber or Lyft mobile application), and more.
- Hire a rideshare accident lawyer – It is essential that you seek qualified representation from a skilled rideshare accident lawyer to help get you through the challenging legal process of filing a personal injury claim. They will investigate the accident, gather facts, speak to eyewitnesses, negotiate with insurance companies and file a personal injury claim to secure the compensation that you are owed. In addition, a rideshare accident lawyer will provide you with the support and protection that you need.
How Rideshare Accidents Are Managed in North Port, FL.
Uber and Lyft drivers are regarded differently from other transportation services by the law in the State of Florida. The drivers who work for Uber and Lyft are subject to regulatory laws that are specific to rideshare cases when it comes to determining liability for a crash. The regulatory laws for rideshare accidents vary by state.
Rideshare accidents will be handled differently depending on three factors:
- If the rideshare driver was logged into the Uber or Lyft mobile application and waiting for a ride request at the time that the accident occurred.
- If the rideshare driver had passengers in the vehicle.
- If the rideshare driver is determined to be at fault for the crash.
Every Uber and Lyft driver is required to follow insurance procedures that are specific to each company before they are allowed to transport passengers through the mobile application. Each driver is also required to carry personal car insurance. In addition, the rideshare companies also provide their drivers with company insurance coverage for crashes that happen when a driver is using their vehicle for rideshare purposes.
Uber and Lyft carry up to $1 million in insurance protection for drivers in the event that an accident occurs. However, this is dependent on three factors, including whether:
- The rideshare driver has actively logged into the Uber or Lyft mobile application, and they were waiting for a ride request.
- The rideshare driver was on their way to collect a passenger.
- The rideshare driver was transporting a passenger.
It is also worth noting that the status of a ride (such as driving a passenger or waiting for a ride request) will have an impact on the type and amount of insurance coverage that a driver is eligible for, which will be further explained by the rideshare company’s policy.
It is essential that you contact a rideshare accident lawyer to help you determine who should be held liable for your injuries and damages as a result of a rideshare accident in North Port.
When Uber and Lyft’s Insurance Policies Do or Don’t Apply in North Port, FL.
Insurance companies have a reputation for paying out as little as possible for personal injury claims. You will likely have trouble recovering the full amount of your medical bills and pain and suffering in the aftermath of your rideshare accident in North Port. The types of insurance coverage that might be available to you will depend on whether the driver was logged into the rideshare app and whether they were transporting passengers at the time of the crash.
There are conditions surrounding Uber and Lyft accidents, and when their insurance policies apply:
- If the rideshare driver was not using the Uber or Lyft mobile application to offer rides, then their personal car insurance coverage will be liable for your injuries and other related losses in regard to the accident, not the insurance of the rideshare company. Each driver is required to carry insurance according to the state’s standards.
- If the rideshare driver has logged onto the Uber or Lyft mobile application, but they did not accept a ride request, then the rideshare company’s liability coverage will apply in the event that the driver was determined to be at fault
Uber and Lyft Insurance Claims in North Port, FL.
Drivers and passengers of rideshare companies, like Uber and Lyft, are allowed to file a claim under either company’s insurance policy. Uber and Lyft provide insurance for covering claims such as:
- Up to $1 million liability for injuries and property damage.
- $50,000 maximum for any injuries inflicted on each person involved in an accident caused by the rideshare driver.
- $100,000 in total for injury liability per accident. This is the limit, regardless of how many people were hurt or the severity of their injuries.
- Up to and more than $1 million in coverage for uninsured or underinsured car accidents, including hit and run cases.
- $1,000 deductible for accidents where the Uber driver is not at fault. This can cover the value of vehicle damage.
- $25,000 maximum to cover property damage to vehicles or properties as a result of a car accident.
Uber and Lyft are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, to offer support for emergencies, and they guarantee that every trip is insured under their policies. The mobile application for both rideshare services is relatively easy to use for accident claims, emergency assistance, and getting further details of the trip to help with a police report.
It is essential that you have a rideshare accident lawyer with experience to make sure that all of your losses are covered. We will fight to achieve the maximum amount of compensation for your case in North Port.
Types of Compensation Available After a Rideshare Accident in North Port, FL.
A rideshare accident can cause a number of different injuries and damages, which means that you could be entitled to many types of compensation. For personal injury cases, compensation falls into two categories: economic damages and non-economic damages.
A list of economic damages include:
- Medical bills – Hospitalization, doctor’s visits, physical therapy, rehabilitation, surgery, prescription medication, and more.
- Lost wages – Income lost due to missing work as a result of your injuries, as well as changes to income if your injuries stop you from earning your usual amount.
- Property damage – Costs to repair or replace your vehicle, clothes, mobile phone, and other damaged property.
A list of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering – Experiences of physical pain, emotional trauma, and mental anguish caused by the rideshare accident, as well as a loss of quality of life.
- Wrongful death – If you lost a loved one in a rideshare accident, then you could be entitled to file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover damages since their passing. This will include funeral costs and loss of consortium.
How to Choose a Rideshare Accident Lawyer in North Port, FL.
It is not a simple process to file a personal injury claim, and it will make a huge difference for your case if you have a rideshare accident lawyer on your side. However, it might seem difficult to find the right rideshare accident lawyer to handle your case, which is why you should look for these key aspects:
- Experience – It is not enough to simply have the title of a lawyer or attorney to prove that they are capable of handling the complexities of an Uber or Lyft accident case. The laws and regulations are completely different when compared to the laws and regulations of a normal motor vehicle accident case, which is why you will require a lawyer with the necessary skills and experience in managing rideshare accidents. It is important that you hire a lawyer to represent your best interests, and you must ensure that they have specialized experience in rideshare accident law in the State of Florida
- References – Do not be afraid to ask a lawyer for a list of references from past clients. It is certainly one of the most effective ways to find out the track record and success rate of a lawyer. It will also provide valuable insight into their communications skills, personal attitude, and trustworthiness.
Contact The Law Place Today in North Port, FL.
If you were involved in a rideshare accident, then you could be entitled to recover compensation for your injuries and other related losses in North Port. Rideshare accidents are complicated cases, and they require skills and knowledge of the rules and regulations for rideshare accident cases.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of combined experience in battling car accident cases to win compensation for accident victims in North Port and all over the State of Florida. Our law firm understands the complex nature of Uber and Lyft accident cases, and we will provide you with the support and guidance that you need.
Our team of rideshare accident lawyers will work hard to achieve justice for your case in North Port. We will investigate your accident, collect facts and information, negotiate with the rideshare company and any insurance companies involved, deal with the related paperwork, and file your personal injury claim so that you can focus on your road to recovery. We will do everything in our power to secure the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries, pain and suffering, property damage, and any other damages in the aftermath of your rideshare accident.
Contact The Law Place now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight for the compensation that you deserve after an Uber and Lyft rideshare accident in North Port. Phone lines are open 24/7.