The aftermath of an accident that isn’t your fault can bring stress and chaos to your life. Tempers rise, stress ensues, and on top of this, you might also be dealing with the injuries caused by the accident. Feeling lost is a common side effect; the world seems to be against you.
However, it doesn’t need to be this way. Thankfully, Florida law is extremely clear on the matter. If you have been in an accident that isn’t your fault, you are entitled to compensation from anyone who has caused your situation through their own negligence.
Although the laws allow you to seek this compensation, it is by no means easy to do so alone. Without a skilled personal injury lawyer, navigating the complexities of Venice and Florida personal injury law is extremely difficult. Even more so when you are already dealing with injuries or mental trauma following the accident. This is where a good Venice personal injury lawyer will be able to step in and shoulder the burden for you.
Here at The Law Place, our knowledgeable team has been dealing with cases like yours over a span of 75 years combined. This means we know exactly how to build a case-specific to your situation. We have seen it all, and our past clients’ glowing recommendations speak for themselves.
Give us a call at (941) 444-4444. The phone lines are staffed 24/7.
In This Article
- What Types of Personal Injury Can Lead to a Lawsuit in Venice, Florida?
- What Damages Will a Personal Injury Attorney Help Me to Claim in Venice?
- The Process of Seeking Compensation in the Venice Area
- Assigning Negligence in a Personal Injury Case in Venice
- What Is the Compensation Process in Venice, Florida?
- Is Getting a Personal Injury Lawyer Worth It?
- Contact Us Here at The Law Place
What Types of Personal Injury Can Lead to a Lawsuit in Venice, Florida?
Every single year, our law firm deals with a huge variety of personal injury cases. We have seen a huge number of injuries in our time, but some are more common than others. Some injuries we see fairly often include:
- Burns, abrasions, and lacerations.
- Animal attacks.
- Drowning and choking.
- TBI’s (traumatic brain injuries).
- Injuries to the spinal cord.
- Back and neck injuries, such as whiplash and crushing.
Although these are the most common injuries that we deal with, they are by no means a comprehensive list. If you are not sure, give us a call, a free consultation will cost you nothing but could lead to compensation for your injuries.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Venice, call 941-444-4444
What Damages Will a Personal Injury Attorney Help Me to Claim in Venice?
In the majority of accidents, everyone involved gets to walk away with relatively mild injuries. Sometimes this isn’t the case, and serious life-threatening injuries, even death, can occur.
When death or life-changing injuries have been caused by the negligence of someone else, it is the job of your Venice personal injury lawyer to seek compensation for the long-lasting trauma and financial problems caused.
Your personal injury lawyer might look to seek compensation for the following damages:
- Medical bills – A high level of health insurance is not always enough to cover the most severe injuries. When the policy does not cover all of the costs, this can lead to the individual being seriously out of pocket.
- Loss of wages/earnings – If, as a result of your injury, you cannot go to work and earn money for your family in the same capacity as you did before, then you will be able to claim for the wages you will lose. You can also claim for any potential future loss of earnings too.
- Intangible losses – There is a range of different losses that cannot be calculated using normal means. Nevertheless, they can still be claimed for. Common examples are mental trauma and loss of enjoyment in life.
Venice is governed by the same series of laws that govern the rest of the State of Florida for personal injury and wrongful death. This means that in rare cases, your attorney may push for something called punitive damages. These damages are only awarded in the following circumstances:
- Purposeful misconduct – If another party has injured you with intent, the court could award punitive damages.
- Gross negligence- In rare cases, where the defendant’s accident is seen as a blatant disregard for human life, the court might also award punitive damages.
Venice Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
The Process of Seeking Compensation in the Venice Area
The very first thing that will happen in all cases is the phone call to a skilled Venice personal injury lawyer, like the ones found here at The Law Place. We offer a free consultation for a reason. When you call us up, you get immediate free legal advice and a chat with someone who will listen with a compassionate ear. We will ask some simple questions and evaluate your case. If we think you have the grounds to claim, we will then organize a more formal sit-down.
In this meeting, we will want some more detailed answers. These answers will form the foundation of your case. We will also layout our fee structure and inform you of all the potential costs you may incur along the way.
Assigning Negligence in a Personal Injury Case in Venice
Once you have agreed to representation, then your attorney will spring into action. Their first task will be to work out whether the other party acted negligently. Negligence is the word we use to describe when a person acts in a way that another normal person would not have in the same situation.
Negligence is the first step, and the second is assigning liability. If we can prove that the other party is liable for your damages, then your chances of compensation are usually pretty good.
To do this, the court will demand that the plaintiff prove the following:
- That the other individual or party had a duty of care for the victim, a common example of this is the shared use of the road, which every driver on the road assumes when they get into a car.
- That the other party did something to breach this duty of care and acted negligently, for example, speeding and failing to stop at a red light.
- The injuries of the victim are a result of that negligence.
- The incident led to the victim suffering from economic and non-economic loss.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Is the Compensation Process in Venice, Florida?
Every case that we deal with is different to some degree. Many of them differ in terms of complexity and the time it takes to settle. However, most of them, follow a rough framework:
The first stage, in most cases, is the evaluation stage. This is where you contact your lawyer and get the ball rolling. They will inform you of the best path to take and will begin to form a strong case for you. During this stage, your attorney will also lay out their fee structure. It is important that you are crystal clear on what that fee structure is before agreeing to representation.
After agreeing to representation, your attorney will begin the investigation phase. They will look at CCTV, speak to witnesses and officers, and look at any evidence you collected. They may also seek the help of an expert witness, like a car crash reconstruction expert. If you listened to us about what to do at the scene of an accident, this is where your evidence collecting will pay off.
Calculate a Reasonable Compensation Value
Using everything they have found so far, they will be able to calculate what they think is a fair and reasonable compensation figure for your case. They will send this to the other party in the hopes that they agree and decide to pay you that figure.
Filing a Lawsuit
If the other party refuses to pay that figure or undervalues your claims, your Venice accident lawyer will now begin the process of filing a lawsuit. During this stage, they will use the compelling case they have built to convince the court that you are, in fact, deserving of the sum you asked for.
Is Getting a Personal Injury Lawyer Worth It?
We often hear the same question from our clients. Usually, they have been told by someone that they will be better off not hiring a personal injury lawyer, that they will be able to seek compensation on their own. Well, they are right; there is nothing to stop you from seeking compensation on your own.
What people don’t realize is that in over 90% of cases where an attorney has been hired to deal with a personal injury case, the compensation payout was at least 50% more than those who sought compensation alone. This more than makes up for any fees that you might have to pay.
There is also a much higher chance of your claim ending up with no compensation at all. When you are facing a skilled team of aggressive lawyers, who have the sole job of reducing their liability and fighting your claim, it always helps to have a skilled Venice personal injury lawyer on your side. We can navigate the complex laws and keep the insurance companies accountable.
Contact Us Here at The Law Place
Here at The Law Place, our team has a lot of experience helping with Venice personal injury cases. We have over 75 years of experience practicing law under our belt, and we have won compensation for numerous clients. Nobody should be left out of pocket, feeling alone, and stressed following an accident that wasn’t their fault.
Call us today for a free consultation and some free legal advice. Our phone lines are always open. Call us at (941) 444-4444.