Although head-on collisions aren’t the most common type of car accident in Bradenton, when they do happen, there is a huge risk of serious personal injury or death to those involved.
A head-on collision occurs when a vehicle crashes into the front of another vehicle that is driving in the opposite direction. It is common for this to happen when one driver has swerved onto the other side of the road or is driving on the other side of the road recklessly. When someone is driving on the wrong side of the road, it could be due to driving while distracted, driving under the influence, or brake failure.
When a head-on accident happens, it can be traumatizing and stressful, especially when trying to receive compensation. A personal injury attorney can help you receive any damages you are owed, including medical bills, lost wages, and damage to your property. If you or someone you love has suffered injury as a result of a head-on accident in Bradenton, Florida, get in contact with us at The Law Place today. We offer a free consultation where you can speak with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys about your case.
Call us today at (941) 444-4444 for your free case evaluation. Our lines are open 24 hours, 7 days a week, for your convenience.
In This Article
- Common Causes of Head-on Collisions
- Common Injuries in Head-on Collision Accidents
- Liability in Florida Head-on Collisions
- Recovering Damages Following a Bradenton Car Accident
- Important Steps to Take Following a Head-on Accident in Bradenton, FL.
- How Can The Law Place Help You?
- Call The Law Place Today
Common Causes of Head-on Collisions
Head-on collisions are particularly serious due to the frontal impact that occurs between the two vehicles. It is common for those involved in these types of collisions to suffer serious personal injury or death, as the vehicles are usually traveling at high speed. In Florida, the number of deaths resulting from head-on collisions is higher than any other type of car crash. Statistics by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV) show that these collisions caused over 7,000 injuries and 183 deaths in a single year.
There are a number of causes of head-on collisions on the roads in Florida. Some of these include:
- Driving distracted (e.g., texting or eating while driving)
- Bad weather that restricts visibility.
- Failing to read or obey road signs.
- Poor road conditions.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Reckless driving.
- Road rage.
- Brakes of a car failing.
- Being inexperienced on the road.
- Driving on a one-way road in the wrong direction.
When considering how much damage has occurred, a court will also take into account whether the cars were speeding at the time of the accident.
Common Injuries in Head-on Collision Accidents
Depending on the speed the cars were traveling at, the type of vehicle that was involved, and the particular safety features a vehicle has, the injuries sustained by those involved will vary. In some instances, the injuries sustained might not be too severe, but in these types of collisions, it is common for those involved to be seriously injured or to lose their life. Some common personal injuries seen in head-on collisions include:
- Fractured or broken bones and sprains.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI).
- Damage internally.
- Gashes, cuts, and bruises.
- Injuries to the back, neck, and spine.
- Herniated discs.
Injuries resulting from a head-on collision can often be life-altering or can require medical treatment for a long period of time. This can create huge medical costs for victims, and without compensation, it can be near impossible to fund all of these costs. If you have suffered serious personal injury from a head-on accident, you should seek legal help from a car accident attorney in Florida.
Liability in Florida Head-on Collisions
In order to receive compensation for any injuries sustained in a head-on collision, it is necessary to establish liability on the other party. In many instances, the other driver was acting recklessly by driving the wrong way or swerving their vehicle. If this is the case, you will have to prove that the other driver was negligent in order to claim any damages.
On the roads in Florida, all road users owe each other a duty of care to keep everyone safe. When a driver acts recklessly, including driving while under the influence or driving while distracted, they are putting other road users at risk and failing in their duty.
In order to establish liability, it is necessary that you prove four different elements. These elements are:
- Duty of care – In Florida, all drivers owe each other a duty of care to keep the roads safe. This means that drivers are required to obey the rules of the road, follow the laws and not put anyone else at risk while driving.
- Breach of duty – When a driver fails to uphold their duty of care, it can be said that they breached their duty. Examples of a breach of duty include when a person drives recklessly, fails to obey road signals, or drives under the influence.
- Causation – It is necessary to demonstrate that your injuries were a direct result of the other driver’s breach of their duty. An experienced car accident lawyer can help you prove this.
- Damages – It must be shown that you suffered damages as a result of the accident and of the driver’s negligence. Car accident attorneys are experienced in gathering evidence to prove that the car accident was the reason you sustained injuries.
Regardless of whether the other party has been cited for a traffic violation, you can still make a claim for compensation once we can satisfy all of the above elements. You should contact one of our car accident attorneys from our law firm today if you have been injured in a head-on collision. We will use our knowledge and skills to fight for damages on your behalf.
Recovering Damages Following a Bradenton Car Accident
Under Florida law, you are required to contact your insurance company following a car accident. In these types of collisions, however, it is often the case that the damages you are owed go beyond what is covered under comparative-fault insurance laws. In order to receive the full amount of compensation you deserve, it is recommended that you file a personal injury lawsuit in Bradenton. Some of the damages you may be entitled to can include:
- Medical bills, including expenses for hospital appointments and transport to and from the appointments.
- Rehabilitative medical expenses.
- Lost wages, including any potential future earnings.
- Childcare expenses.
- Pain and suffering.
In the event that a loved one has died as a result of a head-on accident, our law firm can assist you in filing a wrongful death lawsuit.
Car accidents can be extremely stressful and traumatizing, particularly when you are trying to claim compensation for the damage you have sustained. Here at The Law Place, we want to relieve any additional stress you may have and help you in your fight for justice.
Important Steps to Take Following a Head-on Accident in Bradenton, FL.
It is important that you try and avoid a car accident when possible, which can include swerving away from the vehicle or swerving off the road. However, in these situations, this is not always possible. If a car accident does happen, you should take the following steps to both keep yourself safe and to help with your personal injury claim:
- Seek medical attention as quickly as you can.
- Document everything, including paperwork and any expenses you have incurred.
- Take the details of any witnesses to the scene.
- Take photos of the scene and of any damage to property.
- Request a copy of police or accident reports.
- Seek the help of a car accident attorney.
How Can The Law Place Help You?
Following a car accident, having the assistance of a knowledgeable injury lawyer can be of huge benefit. Insurance companies will often try and devalue your claim or try and use the information you have given them in order to reduce the damages given to you. An experienced personal injury lawyer can take over completely and fight for compensation on your behalf. Some of the things our law firm will do for you include:
- Conducting an independent investigation to determine what happened.
- Consulting with accident reconstruction and engineering experts.
- Gathering and examining any evidence.
- Speaking with your insurance company and the insurance companies of the other parties.
- Building a strong claim on your behalf and fighting to get you the compensation you are owed.
Our top priority is ensuring that you do not suffer any additional stress following your accident. We are here to take over the legal side of things and get you the justice you deserve. Schedule a free consultation with us today to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer.
Call The Law Place Today
If you or a loved one has been involved in a head-on collision and have been injured as a result, call us at The Law Place Today. Our law firm has over 75 years of combined experience in multiple practice areas, including many car accident cases. Our team of accident lawyers is skilled in managing cases like this and has a lot of success in recovering damages for victims.
We offer a free consultation where a lawyer from our firm will assess your case and give you advice on how we think you should proceed. We can take over your case completely and communicate with your insurance company on your behalf. We work on a contingency basis, meaning that if we are not successful in winning your case, you won’t lose any money. Our top priority is ensuring that you have no further pain and suffering following your Bradenton car accident.
Call us today for your free consultation with an experienced lawyer at (941) 444-4444. Our lines are always open.