The roads of Florida are often a busy and hazardous place to drive. Even more so at times when there are thousands of visitors traveling south to take advantage of the warm climate. This is why Florida is known as one of the most dangerous states to drive in across the United States. Statistics released by The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles report that over 400,000 traffic accidents happen in Florida every year, with many of those occurring in Venice. Sadly, of this number, 3,535 people lose their lives to severe car accidents in Florida annually.
The most common causes of car accidents in the United States are the negligence of drivers on the road and a loss of concentration when driving. One of the actions that result from these failures is unsafe lane changes. Much of the time, these mistakes are made accidentally and do not lead to serious consequences. However, when unsafe lane changes go wrong, the results can be severe and often fatal. Checking a message on your phone as you change lane could ultimately lead to the death of another.
If you or a loved one has suffered a personal injury due to another driver making an unsafe lane change, then you may be entitled to compensation. The best chance you have of success is to contact a reputable law firm in Venice, FL. At The Law Place, we have over 75 years of combined experience in working on personal injury cases just like yours. Call us today for a free consultation at (941) 444-4444. Phone lines are open 24/7.
Examples of Unsafe Lane Changes in Venice, Florida
The outcome of an unsafe lane change can be devastating for everyone involved. Often happening suddenly, drivers around do not have enough time to react safely, and no one can control what occurs as a result. In 2014, the SAE conducted studies from which it became clear that drivers failed to indicate 50% of the time when making lane changes. This is an extraordinary statistic that shows just how dangerous the roads can be.
So, how can we define an unsafe lane change? The following are examples of the most common mistakes that people make:
- Drivers changing lanes when others around cannot see their maneuvers or have a restricted view.
- Drivers failing to check their mirrors or blinds spots and therefore being unaware of approaching vehicles.
- A failure to check lane control signs that alert drivers to upcoming lane changes.
- Drivers spending an unreasonable amount of time between two lanes.
For a free legal consultation with a unsafe lane change accidents lawyer serving Venice, call 941-444-4444
What Damages Can I Receive Following a Car Accident?
There is a variety of penalties that one may face for causing a car accident after making an unsafe lane change. From citations to paying for the damages caused to people and property, the punishments vary. But what can a victim be compensated for?
There are many possible side-effects of car accidents, and many of them can be extremely severe. Anyone involved in a car accident can face serious injuries and damage to their property. The following is a list of possible damages that you may face, and all of these can be included in your compensation claim:
- Medical expenses – Unfortunately, medical bills can amount rapidly and become extremely expensive. However, you can receive compensation for any medical expenses you have faced since your accident.
- Future medical bills – This includes ongoing treatment that you may need to receive, including doctor’s appointments, medication, and physiotherapy.
- Lost wages – It is likely you will need time off from your job after being involved in a car accident. However, you can receive the income you have lost as a result.
- Loss of enjoyment – You can be compensated if you have suffered injuries that have affected your quality of life. Maybe you have had to give up a hobby, or maybe you cannot spend time playing with your children. A good attorney can help you make a strong claim for loss of enjoyment.
- Damage to property – You will almost certainly suffer damage to your vehicle if you are involved in a car accident. You can be compensated for both the costs of car repairs and the cost of any items damaged in the crash, such as your cell phone.
- House Alterations – Some victims may face large costs to alter their house in order to accommodate for their injuries.
- Wrongful death – Florida Statute 768.21 stipulates that the families of victims who have lost their lives in car accidents are entitled to compensation for their suffering as well as loss of consortium.
If you have suffered a personal injury in an unsafe lane change accident, then you need an experienced car accident lawyer on your side. Call The Law Place today for a free legal consultation with a member of our team.
Venice Unsafe Lane Change Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Ways to Avoid Making Unsafe Lanes Changes
Despite every driver being instructed on how to safely approach lane changes when learning to drive, many still do not apply these rules. The damage that results from car accidents can be devasting and extremely expensive. Not all costs will be covered by your insurance company, and not all injuries can be recovered from. Therefore, understanding the consequences of negligent driving is vital for keeping the roads of Venice, FL., safer. In order to avoid committing an unsafe lane change, you must remember to:
- Signal – Indicators have been installed in vehicles for this very reason. Make sure to use them every time you decide to make a lane change. For the drivers that are in your blind spot and therefore unable to see you, turn on your indicators a few seconds before making your maneuver.
- Yield to merge – Patience is key when merging between lanes. Many accidents result from two drivers impatiently attempting to merge at the same time. Wait until there is space and follow the correct signs.
Steps to Take Following an Unsafe Lane Change Accident
Following a car accident, there are some important steps that you should take. Many of these will help your personal injury attorney to strengthen your case later down the line:
- Get to safety – The first thing you must do is ensure that you are in a safe place. Move out of incoming traffic and the crash site. If there are others involved who have not been seriously injured, move them to safety also.
- Call the emergency services – Once you have reached safety, call the emergency services immediately. Florida Statute 316.062 stipulates that under certain circumstances, you have a legal responsibility to call the police to the scene. For example, if any drivers involved are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or if there has been a fatality.
- Collect evidence – After ensuring the safety of yourself and those around you, start to collect evidence. Start with the names and contact details of the other drivers, the details of their cars, and the contact details of any witnesses. If possible, also take photographs of the scene, including the lanes and road itself. If you cannot do so, a sketch can also be given as evidence to your attorney.
- Seek medical assistance – Even if you cannot initially feel any injuries, you must see a health professional after your car accident. Injuries can take time to become apparent as the shock and adrenaline wear off. Florida Statute 627.736 gives you up to 14 days to get medical attention before you can no longer receive compensation for your injuries.
- Consult a personal injury lawyer – The sooner you find the representation of a reputable law firm, the better. Take the time to speak to more than one before making any final decisions, but remember that time is of the essence. The faster you find an attorney, the faster they can begin to build you a strong case. Contact The Law Place today for a free case evaluation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Much Will a Car Accident Attorney Cost in Venice, FL?
At The Law Place, we work on a contingency basis which is closely monitored by The State Bar Association. This system sees all legal fees being paid from your settlement. Therefore, if your claim is unsuccessful, you do not need to pay us a thing. There are no hidden costs, and you have nothing to lose, so call us today for a free consultation!
What Can a Venice Car Accident Lawyer Do for Me?
When you contact The Law Place, we will initially set up a free consultation where you will have the opportunity to speak with a member of our team. This will give you the opportunity to ask every question you have and to receive trustworthy and impartial advice.
If you decide to work with us, we will ask you detailed questions in order to compile a clear picture of your accident before we go on to conduct our own investigation. At this point, we will take over all the hard work so that you can focus on your recovery.
Our investigation will help us to build a strong case that we can then present to your insurance company in order to get you a fair settlement. In the event that we do not come to an agreement, we will take your case to a judge and jury to fight for your compensation.
Contact The Law Place Today
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident due to an unsafe lane change, then call The Law Place today. We will help you get the compensation you deserve for the suffering you have faced at the hands of someone else.
Our lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so that you always have someone to call. Our team of experienced personal injury lawyers is here to help you get your life back on track, so do not hesitate to contact us now at (941) 444-4444.