A side-impact collision, also called a T-bone accident, has the potential to cause serious damage to the people involved. When a vehicle crashes into the side of another vehicle, this is recognized as a T-bone accident.
The most common place for a side-impact collision to happen is at an intersection when a driver tries to beat a red light. All it takes is one reckless decision to cause a car accident and change someone’s life. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that deaths have increased by up to 20% in the past 20 years as a result of side-impact car accidents. If you were hurt in a side-impact collision that was not your fault, then you should reach out to a car accident lawyer to recover the compensation that you deserve in Venice.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of collective experience and knowledge in managing personal injury claims for clients in Venice and all over the State of Florida. Our law firm is highly trained to deal with all types of car accident cases, including side-impact collisions, rollover crashes, head-on collisions, and much more. Our team of car accident lawyers will be prepared to take on your case and assist you in seeking compensation for your injuries and other losses in Venice.
If you call our office today, one of our car accident lawyers will explain your legal rights and help you to understand the best move to make in your current situation after a side-impact collision. Our phone lines are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week so that you can reach out to us at a time that suits you.
Contact The Law Place on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation now, and a car accident lawyer will fight for the compensation that you deserve after your side-impact collision in Venice.
In This Article
- Proving Liability in a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
- Statute of Limitations for a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
- How to Prevent a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
- Factors in Side Impact Collisions in Venice, FL.
- How Side Impact Collisions Happen in Venice, FL.
- Injuries Sustained in a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
- Negotiating With Insurance Companies in Venice, FL.
- Can I Sue for a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL?
- How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You to Win Compensation After a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
- Compensation for a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
- How Much Compensation Can I Win for My Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL?
- Contact The Law Place Today in Venice, FL.
Proving Liability in a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
It is relatively straightforward to prove liability in a side-impact collision. Usually, a T-bone accident occurs at an intersection, and the good news is that Florida Statute 316.123 explains how intersections operate throughout the state, which makes it easier to determine who is liable for a car accident.
For example, if a driver moves into the intersection and does not have the right of way, then you can hold the driver liable for a side-impact collision. In another instance, the court might hold the driver liable for your car accident if they violated other rules of the road in the State of Florida.
Statute of Limitations for a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
Florida Statute 95.11 sets the legal time limit for how long you have to file a personal injury claim after a car accident.
The statute of limitations declares that you have up to four years to recover compensation in regard to your car accident. If the four years expire, then the court will likely dismiss your claim.
How to Prevent a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
The most important part of driving is to take care on the road and operate your vehicle in line with the law. The best way to prevent a side-impact collision is to make sure that you are not distracted behind the wheel and to ensure you slow down when you approach traffic lights.
However, there is not much you can do to stop another driver from crashing into the side of your vehicle. The smartest way to protect yourself from sustaining injuries in a side-impact collision is to have modern safety features installed in your vehicle.
Most car manufacturers have developed safety features for modern vehicles due to the devastating injuries caused by side-impact collisions. Modern safety features include side airbags and steel bars built in the frames of the doors.
A driver’s duty of care is much more than simply traveling safely – it is also important to maintain a safe, working vehicle. If a driver is operating a vehicle that is low on maintenance and they know that they are posing a threat to other road users, then they can be classed as being negligent.
Here are some actions to improve the safety of your vehicle:
- Check the tire pressure to prevent a blowout.
- Check that the brakes are in good condition.
- Check that the headlights are in working order.
- Check that the windshield wipers and other visibility features are effective.
At the end of the day, the job of a car accident lawyer is to determine how your T-bone accident happened and who should be held liable for your injuries and other losses. Call The Law Place today to set up a free consultation, in which a car accident lawyer will discuss the circumstances surrounding your case in Venice.
Factors in Side Impact Collisions in Venice, FL.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reported that the second most common type of car accident is a side-impact collision. In addition, 23% of people died as a result of side-impact collisions in the year 2018.
They are deadly accidents with three main contributing factors that increase the likelihood of sustaining serious injuries and the possibility of death.
The three factors are:
- Proximity – The injuries will be more severe if the vehicle is close to the point of impact. For example, a vehicle’s bumper tends to absorb the impact in a rear-end collision. On the other hand, there is only a thin layer of metal that protects the passengers in a vehicle from harm in a side-impact collision.
- Speed – The major component in a car accident is always the speed of the vehicle. If a driver strikes your vehicle and they were traveling at high speed, then you will most likely have sustained more severe injuries than if they were driving at a slower pace.
- Size – The size of the vehicle that hit you will impact the extent of your injuries and the damage to your property. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reported that a passenger vehicle weighs only 2 tons, while some trucks can weigh up to 40 tons.
How Side Impact Collisions Happen in Venice, FL.
All road users have a duty of care, which means that they have a responsibility to operate their vehicles in a safe manner to prevent collisions. If a driver is guilty of breaking their duty of care, then they can be held liable for any injuries and damages that were caused in the crash.
A side-impact collision can happen for a number of reasons and in many different ways. It is possible for someone’s vehicle to be struck when they are waiting at a stop sign, red light, or stagnant in a parking lot. Most T-bone car accidents tend to occur when someone is parked or stopped, while other crashes happen when the vehicles are on the move.
Here are some of the main behaviors that have the potential to cause a T-bone accident:
- Distracted driving (a driver who is distracted behind the wheel might not see a red light, stop sign, or another driver that has the right of way).
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI/DWI).
- Reckless driving.
- Violating traffic laws.
- Failing to yield.
- Low visibility.
- Poor road conditions.
The severity of the injuries caused in a side-impact collision might be affected by whether the person was wearing their seatbelt or whether their airbag was active at the time of the accident. It is essential that you seek medical attention right away in order to make sure that your injuries do not worsen over time after being involved in a T-Bone accident in Venice.
A car accident lawyer from The Law Place will be able to assist you in winning compensation for your injuries, regardless of how your side-impact collision happened. Pick up your phone to call our office today to schedule a free consultation.
Injuries Sustained in a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
A T-bone accident is a highly serious case, and it can result in a number of different injuries. If you were hurt in an auto accident that was not your fault, then it is important that you speak to a car accident lawyer who can help you to determine the extent of your injuries and the amount of compensation that you are owed.
Here are some of the most common injuries sustained in a side-impact collision:
- Broken ribs – A common outcome in a T-bone accident are broken rib injuries. They are very painful injuries that can take a long time to heal. You do not need to worry, as these types of injuries are not necessarily life-threatening.
- Head injury – A severe impact to the head can cause a traumatic brain injury that alters the function of the brain. Airbags and seatbelts can prevent these types of injuries at times.
- Chest trauma – More than 70% of chest trauma injuries are the result of an auto accident, according to a study published by the U.S. National Library of Medicine. The force of the crash will impact the chest cavity and restrict the airflow.
Negotiating With Insurance Companies in Venice, FL.
You usually have up to 24 hours to inform your insurance company of your car accident in the State of Florida. However, you should try to avoid engaging with insurance companies and get your car accident lawyer to speak to them on your behalf instead. This is because insurance companies are always looking for ways to devalue your personal injury claim, and they will use anything that you say against you to limit the amount of compensation that you receive. A car accident lawyer with experience in dealing with insurance companies will make sure that you are not being taken advantage of.
Further information on insurance companies is written in Florida Statute 627.736.
Can I Sue for a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL?
A side-impact collision usually involves negligence and a breached duty of care, which means that you can sue the driver who caused your side-impact collision. However, the law requires you to first prove negligence in these types of car accident cases in order for you to receive compensation in the State of Florida.
It is mandatory for every road user to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance coverage, which will cover the driver in case of property damage and any injuries sustained in an auto accident. This means that you might have to file a claim through your own insurance company at first.
However, you might also be eligible to sue the at-fault driver if you have medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and other losses that exceed the amount of your own personal injury protection (PIP) insurance coverage.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You to Win Compensation After a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
The main goal of a personal injury lawyer is to negotiate with the insurance companies involved and recover the compensation that you deserve following a side-impact collision in Venice. To do this, a personal injury lawyer will defend your legal rights, offer you advice and protect your best interests in the case.
A personal injury lawyer will also complete the necessary steps in order to successfully file your claim. These steps might include working on documents, completing paperwork, calculating the right amount of losses, speaking to witnesses for statements, and negotiating for a reasonable settlement. In addition, a personal injury lawyer will be prepared to take your case to court if necessary. However, most personal injury cases do not require going to court.
If you were involved in a side-impact collision in Venice, then a personal injury lawyer from The Law to help you recover compensation from the at-fault party. First, they will have to prove that the party behaved in a negligent manner and that you suffered injury and other damages as a result. The process of proving negligence means that we will have to establish the following:
- A duty of care was owed – Every licensed driver takes on an implied duty of care in the State of Florida. This means that they have a responsibility to safely operate their vehicle and watch out for other road users and pedestrians.
- A duty of care was breached – If a driver violated a traffic law or showed signs of reckless behavior that resulted in hitting your car, then this can be used as evidence to prove that they breached their duty of care.
- A breached duty of care caused your injury – A personal injury lawyer from The Law Place will collect forms of evidence such as accident reports, police reports, medical bills, statements from the doctor who treated you, witness testimonies, and more in order to prove that the driver’s breached duty of care was the cause of your injuries.
- A breached duty of care caused you to suffer damages – A personal injury lawyer from The Law Place will also have to prove that your injuries caused you to suffer damages in one way or another. Damages include economic (medical bills, property damage, lost wages) or non-economic (pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, wrongful death).
Compensation for a Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL.
There are a number of different reasons for which you can recover compensation following a side-impact collision in Venice. The types of compensation available are:
- Medical bills – You can file a claim for past, present, and future medical expenses that were caused by the car accident. This includes hospitalization, physical therapy, rehabilitation, prescription medication, etc.
- Property damage – You can file a claim for the damage or destruction of your property in a car accident. This includes the vehicle, the clothes you were wearing at the time, a mobile phone, and other personal items.
- Lost wages – You can file a claim for lost income if you are unable to work as you are recovering from your injuries.
- Pain and suffering – You can file a claim for pain and suffering if you are experiencing any forms of physical pain, mental trauma, emotional anguish, and a reduction to your quality of life since the accident.
The amount of compensation that you are eligible to recover will depend on the specifics and circumstances surrounding your case in Venice. A car accident lawyer from The Law Place will be able to help you determine the amount of compensation that you should receive.
How Much Compensation Can I Win for My Side Impact Collision in Venice, FL?
If you reach out to The Law Place today, we will seek the right settlement for your side-impact collision in Venice. Our team of car accident lawyers will explain your legal rights and review all of the details in regard to your case to make sure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation.
There are a few key factors that will determine the amount of compensation that you could be awarded for a side-impact collision, such as:
- The seriousness of your injuries.
- The impact that your injuries are having on your life.
- The recovery process.
- The extent of your pain and suffering.
Contact The Law Place Today in Venice, FL.
If you were hurt in a side-impact collision as a result of someone else’s negligence, then you should seek legal representation from a law firm with the necessary resources and knowledge of car accident cases in Venice.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of combined experience in winning compensation for people who have been injured in side-impact collisions in Venice and across the State of Florida. Our law firm has an in-depth understanding of personal injury law, and we will help you to navigate the legal system.
Our team of car accident lawyers will get to work on your case as soon as possible if you put your trust in us. We will work day and night to build a strong personal injury claim, negotiate with insurance companies and settle your case with the maximum amount of compensation to cover your personal injuries, pain, and suffering, lost wages, property damage, and other losses that might have incurred.
Contact The Law Place on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation now, and a car accident lawyer will fight for the compensation that you deserve after your side-impact collision in Venice. Phone lines are open 24/7.