If you were injured in a rear-end collision as a result of another driver’s negligence in North Port, then you will need the assistance of a personal injury lawyer to prove fault and help you to recover compensation for your injuries and other related losses.
A rear-end collision is one of the most common car accidents in North Port. The National Transportation Safety Board reported that close to 1.7 million rear-end collisions occur every single year in the United States of America. This number accounts for 1,700 deaths and 500,000 injuries. If you were seriously hurt in a rear-end collision, then you must seek legal counsel to help you understand your legal rights under Florida law.
The Law Place has over seventy-five years of collective experience when it comes to helping clients recover compensation after they have suffered as a result of another driver’s negligence on the roadways in North Port and throughout the State of Florida. Our practice areas deal with car accident cases ranging from driving under the influence (DUI), reckless driving, tailgating, rear-end collisions, and many others.
If you are looking for the best legal advice in town, then you have come to the right place – The Law Place. Our team of North Port car accident lawyers will investigate your case and calculate the amount of compensation that you are owed while you take the time that you need to recover from your injuries. Rest assured that we will work hard to settle on a compensation amount that is satisfactory for you.
Contact The Law Place now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight to win the compensation that you deserve for your rear-end collision in North Port. Phone lines are open 24/7.
What Is a Rear-End Collision in North Port, FL?
There are many different types of road accident cases that occur in the State of Florida, but one of the main ones is a rear-end collision. This type of accident happens when a driver hits the vehicle in front of them, and it is usually caused by distracted driving, tailgating, or poor weather conditions.
No-Fault Insurance in North Port, FL.
Florida Statute 627.7407 requires every driver to first seek compensation from their own insurance company after an accident – regardless of who was determined to be at fault.
All drivers must carry a minimum of $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) insurance when they operate a vehicle, according to Florida Statute 627.736. A driver’s personal injury protection (PIP) insurance will ultimately protect them in the event that they are involved in a minor car accident.
Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance will cover a driver’s medical bills and loss of wages up to a certain limit. However, if the amount is insufficient for the damage caused, then you must seek further compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. In order to do this, you will need the help of a North Port car accident lawyer to protect your legal rights and build a strong claim against the negligent party.
Contributory Negligence in North Port, FL.
The law works according to comparative negligence when it comes to car accidents, as stated in Florida Statute 768.81. Comparative negligence laws apply if you are deemed to be partly at-fault for a car accident.
For example, if you are awarded $20,000 in compensation for your damages, but you are found to be 20 percent at fault for the car crash, then your settlement will be reduced by 20 percent, which means that you will receive only $16,000 in compensation.
What to Do if Multiple Vehicles Were Involved in a Rear-End Collision in North Port, FL.
Rear-end collisions can quickly become a pile-up on the roadways in the State of Florida. If you were hit from behind by a vehicle that was also rear-ended by another vehicle, then it can be difficult to determine which driver should be held liable for your injuries and other related losses.
In these types of cases, the court will consider all of the details for every driver involved in the car crash. It is possible that the vehicle behind the one that hit you could have been traveling at a high speed, which resulted in them rear-ending the vehicle in front of them and, as a result, your vehicle also. However, if the vehicle that they hit was also tailgating you, which ultimately lead to them colliding with your vehicle, then both drivers could be held liable for your injuries and other related losses.
It is essential that you hire a North Port car accident lawyer from The Law Place today, who will explain more about a rear-end collision involving multiple vehicles and the type of compensation that you can receive.
Common Causes of Rear-End Collisions in North Port, FL.
A rear-end collision could be prevented if all drivers were careful of changes in speed limits and allowed enough space in between vehicles in front of them on the roadways in the State of Florida. However, there are many factors that contribute to causing rear-end collisions, such as:
- Tailgating – A driver that fails to leave a safe distance between themselves and other vehicles in front of them.
- Speeding – A driver who travels above the posted speed limit will find it difficult to stop in time when they approach slower moving traffic.
- Distracted driving – A driver who uses their mobile phone, eats, drinks, engages in conversation with another passenger, or performs any activity that takes their attention away from the road can cause a rear-end collision.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) – A driver who operates their vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs will find it difficult to stop or slow down at the appropriate time in order to avoid a rear-collision.
- Weather conditions – A driver who fails to remain aware of changes in weather conditions such as heavy rain, fog, snow, or thunderstorms can cause a rear-end collision.
Determining Fault in a Rear-End Collision in North Port, FL.
Most of the time, the driver who hits the vehicle in front will be held liable for injuries and other damages caused by a rear-end collision. However, it is possible in some cases for the driver in front to cause a car accident if they were to unexpectedly slam their breaks down or pull out between two other vehicles on the road.
Nevertheless, the law will usually assume that the driver at the back is negligent in a rear-end collision. If you were involved in a rear-end collision, then you should hire a North Port car accident lawyer to investigate and analyze your case.
What to Do After a Rear-End Collision in North Port, FL.
If you were rear-ended by another driver on the road, then you must try to remain calm and carefully investigate the situation. Our law firm highly recommends that you follow these steps:
- Move to a safe place – If you are capable, move to a safe place near the location of the car accident and away from oncoming traffic.
- Check for injuries – It is essential that you prioritize your health and safety following a car accident, so check yourself for injuries. In addition, check on anyone else who was involved in the crash.
- Call an ambulance – If you or anyone else was injured, call an ambulance to the scene of the accident.
- Call the police – You must call the police to the scene of the accident in order for them to file a report. They will most likely ask you to recall how the crash happened, so remember to stick to the facts.
- Exchange information – It is crucial that you exchange information with the other driver(s) involved. Write down their names, phone numbers, addresses, and vehicle registration numbers. Remember to not say anything to them which could be misunderstood or considered an admission of guilt.
- Evidence – If you are not injured, do your best to take pictures of the scene of the accident. This will include the location, road marks, damage to the vehicles, injuries, road construction, and anything else that might be considered relevant to the crash.
- Seek medical attention – Even if you think that you feel fine, it is important that you get a check-up at the hospital as soon as possible. It is possible for some injuries to have delayed symptoms, so it is in your best interest to let a doctor determine your current medical situation.
- Notify your insurance company – You usually have up to 24 hours to inform your insurance company of a car accident. Remember to stick to the facts and do not share any unnecessary details about the crash.
- Hire a North Port car accident lawyer – If you wish to protect your legal rights, then reach out to a North Port car accident lawyer from The Law Place today. Our team of car accident attorneys will make sure that you receive the compensation you deserve for all of your injuries and other related losses.
Common Injuries From a Rear-End Collision in North Port, FL.
There are a number of different injuries that could be caused by a rear-end collision – ranging from minor injuries to long-term damage. Any type of injury can result in large medical bills and property damage costs, which can make it hard to recover from this financial loss for years to come. Our team of car accident attorneys will help you to win compensation for damages caused, such as injuries, property damage, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more. In some cases, a car accident could even result in the loss of a loved one. In this case, you must file a wrongful death lawsuit under Florida Statute 768.21 to get the justice you deserve.
- Whiplash – A whiplash injury occurs when a driver is thrown forward by a harsh impact with another vehicle. It can result in pain and stiffness in the shoulders and neck.
- Back pain – The impact of a rear-end collision can seriously affect the spine of a driver. Some of the most common back injuries include facet joint injury, disc herniation, spinal cord injury, and damage to the nerves. A back injury has the potential to cause permanent damage.
- Head and face injuries – A damaged eye socket, a broken nose, or a traumatic brain injury could be caused by a rear-end collision. Head and face injuries can even occur with an airbag in operation.
- Arm and hand injuries – A driver will usually be holding onto their steering wheel in the event that another vehicle hits them from behind. This can cause injury to the shoulders, arms, wrists, and hands.
- Seatbelt injuries – A seatbelt is an important safety feature that saves countless lives in car accidents. In a rear-end collision, a seatbelt can even prevent a driver from sustaining a serious head injury. However, a seatbelt might cause bruising and whiplash in the event that a rear-end accident occurs.
How to Avoid Rear-End Collisions in North Port, FL.
Rear-end accidents are very common. As a driver, it is important that you take the necessary steps to avoid getting involved in a car accident where possible. Here are some of the main tips to ensure your safety on the roadways in North Port and the rest of the State of Florida:
- Space – It is essential that you leave sufficient space in between you and the driver in front of you. More space means that you have more time to react to road conditions.
- Avoid distractions – One of the most common causes of road accidents happens to be distracted driving. Do not look at your phone, eat, or adjust a navigational system while you are driving.
- Weather – Remember to pay attention to the changes in weather conditions and learn to drive safely through them.
- Check mirrors – It is important that you regularly check your mirrors so that you are aware of the actions of other drivers behind you. For example, if a driver does not seem like they are about to stop in time, you might have to use your car horn to make them aware of your vehicle.
- Braking – Remember to brake with plenty of time to spare so that the drivers behind you have enough time to react to your actions.
- Traffic lights – You must slow down when you are approaching traffic lights so that you can be prepared to stop if necessary.
- Vehicle signals – Check the signals and safety features on your vehicle to make sure that they are working properly, as they are the signs that alert other drivers of your intentions. This includes your brake lights and indicators.
- Be aware – It is important that you are aware of your surroundings at all times, even when your vehicle is stopped in the middle of traffic.
Why Should I Speak to a Lawyer About My Rear-End Collision in North Port, FL?
If you were involved in a rear-end collision that resulted in serious injury or damage, then you must speak to a car accident lawyer in the State of Florida as soon as possible. It is worth noting that insurance companies have a reputation for wanting to pay out as little as possible for car accident cases. Therefore, you will need a car accident lawyer with skill and experience when it comes to handling negotiations with insurance companies.
Rest assured that a car accident lawyer from The Law Place will work hard to recover the maximum amount of compensation for your case against all odds. They will assist you in winning compensation to cover all of your damages.
How The Law Place Can Help You With Your Rear-End Collision Case in North Port, FL.
The Law Place will assist you in navigating the complex legal system so that you can file a successful personal injury claim in the State of Florida. Our team of North Port car accident lawyers will provide you with valuable insight and services, such as:
- They will investigate your accident.
- They will gather evidence to prove that the other driver was negligent.
- They will speak to eyewitnesses.
- They will calculate the value of your injuries and other related losses.
- They will negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf.
- They will be ready to take your case to court if necessary.
Contact The Law Place Today in North Port, FL.
If you were injured in a rear-end collision in the State of Florida, then you will likely be feeling overwhelmed at the thought of all of the things you need to handle in the aftermath of a car accident. You will need the support and guidance of a car accident lawyer to guide you through the legal system and file your personal injury claim on your behalf.
The Law Place has over seventy-five years of combined experience and knowledge when it comes to assisting people who have been hurt in car accidents in North Port and all over the State of Florida. Our law firm has managed hundreds of cases like yours with great success, and we will work hard to recover the compensation that you deserve from the at-fault party.
The phone lines to our offices are open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, so that you can call us at a time that is convenient for you. One of our car accident lawyers will be waiting to hear from you.
Contact The Law Place now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight to win the compensation that you deserve for your rear-end collision in North Port, Florida.