A motorcycle is at risk on the road due to how exposed the rider is and the lack of safety features on the bike. An accident involving a motorcycle can result in disastrous consequences, with serious injuries and financial burdens, such as medical bills, loss of income, pain and suffering, property damage, and more.
A motorcycle is much smaller in size compared to other motor vehicles such as a car, which means that the danger is much greater if an accident occurs. The injuries that motorcyclists are likely to suffer in a crash will be very severe compared to other motorists. If you or a loved one were injured in a motorcycle accident in North Port, then you must seek legal counsel from a reputable law firm in order to recover the compensation that you are owed from the at-fault party.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of collective experience in working under personal injury law in North Port and across the State of Florida. Our team of motorcycle accident lawyers will defend your legal rights with skill and the kind of professionalism that you will not find at any other law firm.
Our team of motorcycle accident lawyers will dedicate themselves to your case, and work night and day to win the maximum amount of compensation for your personal injury claim. We understand the difficult situation that you are in, and we want to be the ones to help you get through it. Our law firm will defend your legal rights, and we will not let anyone take advantage of you.
If you are searching for the best law firm in town, then you have come to the right place – The Law Place. Call today to set up a free consultation with one of our esteemed North Port motorcycle accident lawyers. We will discuss the details of your case and answer your questions. We are here to protect your legal rights following an accident, so do not hesitate to pick up the phone and call our office today.
Contact The Law Place now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight to win the compensation that you deserve for your motorcycle accident case in North Port. Phone lines are open 24/7.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in North Port, FL.
The State of Florida is home to the second-highest number of motorcyclists in the entirety of America. This also means that the number of motorcycle accidents is much higher in Florida compared to other states. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV) reported that over 8,500 motorcycle accidents had already occurred between January and February 2021.
It is always important to be cautious and mindful when you are on the road. Here are some of the main causes of motorcycle accidents in North Port:
- Blind spots – Many drivers on the road fail to take notice of motorcyclists when they are merging or turning a corner, which can end up in a disastrous crash.
- Drunk driving – A drunk driver is a serious danger on the road, and they can cause damage to an innocent motorcyclist.
- Distracted driving – Drivers who are distracted behind the wheel due to using their mobile phone or talking to another passenger can easily miss a motorcyclist on the road.
- Aggressive drivers – Sometimes, a driver can become easily frustrated with slow-moving traffic, and they tend to take out their anger on the other vehicles around them. If an aggressive driver threatens a motorcyclist, then it can quickly turn into an accident.
- Tailgating – A driver that follows too closely behind another vehicle or motorcyclist can cause a terrible crash if the rider in front needs to slow down or comes to a sudden stop.
- Poor road conditions – Bad weather, potholes, or uneven surfaces can cause a motorcyclist to crash.
- Defective parts – A defective part of a motorcycle can malfunction, especially if there has been improper maintenance. In this case, the manufacturer or the maintenance team could be held liable if the defective part causes an injury.
- Traffic violations – If a driver fails to obey traffic laws by speeding, failing to yield, making improper turns, or anything else, then it could potentially cause a crash with a motorcyclist.
Types of Compensation for a Motorcycle Accident in North Port, FL.
You should not have to pay the price for someone else’s negligence on the road. You could be eligible to receive compensation for damages after a motorcycle crash, such as:
- Medical bills – Hospital stays, medical treatment, physical therapy, rehabilitation, prescription medication, health care, and more.
- Loss of wages – Any loss of income from being unable to work due to your injuries, missed opportunities at work, and any changes to your usual income since the motorcycle accident occurred.
- Property damage – Repairing or replacing your motorcycle, clothes, helmet, mobile phone, or any other property that was damaged in the accident.
- Wrongful death – If a loved one was killed in a motorcycle accident, then you can file a claim for compensation to cover all of the subsequent costs, such as funeral expenses, pain and suffering, property damage, loss of consortium, and more, as stated in Florida Statute 768.21.
Types of Injuries in a Motorcycle Accident in North Port, FL.
Motorcycle injuries can be very serious cases and the most common injuries that a rider can face include:
- Fractures – Legs, ribs, arms, collarbones, jaw, and skull fractures.
- Sprains – Ankle, knee, wrist, and elbow sprains.
- Dislocations – A dislocation can cause serious damage to the soft tissue in the joint area.
- Eye injuries – Damage to the eyes is a serious risk. Every rider is required to wear protective eye gear under Florida law when operating their bike.
- Internal damage – Internal bleeding is a very intense injury sustained in an accident, and it will require immediate medical attention.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – An impact to the head can cause a concussion or even a traumatic brain injury.
Injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident have the potential to be very serious due to the little protection that riders have on their bikes. A North Port motorcycle accident injury will range from scrapes and bruises to life-threatening injuries, such as internal damage and traumatic brain injuries. It is important for every rider to be aware of the roadways and take every safety measure necessary to keep themselves out of harm’s way.
Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident in North Port, FL.
If you or someone you know was involved in a motorcycle accident, then you must take the necessary steps to protect your legal rights and make sure that the negligent party does not get away with causing damage without paying the price.
Follow these steps:
- Check for injuries – It is important that you put your health and safety first after an accident. Check yourself for injuries and then check on anyone else. You must immediately call an ambulance to the scene of the crash so that the first responders can make sure that everyone is safe.
- Call the police – You must call the police to the scene of the motorcycle crash, according to Florida Statute 316.062. A police officer will file a report of the accident, which will include essential details about the scene of the crash and other important information. A police report will be very useful in supporting your personal injury claim later.
- Gather evidence – If you can, gather evidence from the scene of the crash by taking pictures of the scene, road marks, injuries, damaged vehicles, and more.
- Contact information – You must gather the contact information of the other drivers involved in the crash, such as names, phone numbers, insurance information, and vehicle registration numbers.
- Seek medical treatment – Get a check-up at the hospital as soon as possible following a motorcycle crash, even if you think that you survived the crash without a scratch. There are many injuries that are invisible, and they will not show signs until much later. This is why you must see a doctor right away to determine the type of damage that may have been caused.
- Hire a motorcycle accident lawyer – After an accident, you will need to seek legal representation in order to defend your rights in Florida. A motorcycle accident lawyer will provide you with the support and guidance that you need to succeed in your personal injury claim.
The Statute of Limitations in Florida
Every state in the United States of America follows different laws when it comes to the amount of time that you have to file a personal injury claim against the negligent party following an accident that caused injury and other losses.
The State of Florida declares that you have up to four years from the date of the accident to recover compensation for your personal injuries, pain and suffering, property damage, and more. In the case of a family member being killed in an accident, you will have up to two years from the date of the family member’s death to file a personal injury claim under wrongful death.
After this time has passed, you will be unable to file a claim for compensation in the State of Florida.
Motorcycle Helmet Laws in North Port, FL.
It is not always necessary for you to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle in the State of Florida. However, there are certain situations when it is mandatory for you to wear a helmet, such as:
- You are under the age of 21.
- You have less than ten thousand dollars in medical insurance.
It is always better to wear a helmet for protection, as it can save you from sustaining any serious head injuries if an accident occurs.
If you were not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, then you will not be breaking the rules as long as you were following the helmet laws as stated above. However, it is better not to share the specifics of your accident with anyone, especially if you were not wearing a helmet. Confide in your motorcycle accident lawyer to understand more clearly what you can and cannot say about your crash.
Working With a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in North Port, FL.
An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer will handle all the work for your case while you take the necessary time that you need to recover from your injuries. They will handle:
- Conducting an extensive investigation into the accident.
- Collecting evidence, such as pictures, video footage, statements, and more.
- Speaking to eyewitnesses.
- Reviewing police reports.
- Determining who is liable for the crash.
- Calculating the amount of compensation that you are owed.
- Negotiating with the insurance companies involved.
- Settling a fair deal.
- Taking your case to court, if necessary.
Contact The Law Place Today in North Port, FL.
If you or someone you know suffered injuries and damages in a motorcycle accident, then you must reach out to a North Port personal injury lawyer to understand your legal rights under Florida law.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of combined experience when it comes to winning compensation for clients who have been injured in motorcycle accidents in North Port and across the State of Florida. Our law firm has managed hundreds of cases like yours, and we know how we can help you during this difficult time.
Our team of North Port motorcycle accident lawyers will make sure that the negligent party is held liable for all your injuries and other related losses. We do not back down from difficult cases, and we are willing to take your personal injury claim to court if we cannot agree upon a reasonable settlement with the insurance company. Rest assured that we will work hard to secure the maximum amount of compensation for your case. Put your faith in us.
Call our office today to set up a free consultation, in which a motorcycle accident lawyer will talk you through the process of filing a personal injury claim. Our phone lines are open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week so that you can call us at a time that suits you.
Contact The Law Place now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight to win the compensation that you deserve for your motorcycle accident case in North Port.