A left turn car accident happens when a driver collides with another vehicle as they are attempting to make a left-hand turn. A collision of this nature tends to occur when a driver tries to pass another vehicle that is waiting at an intersection, or a driver makes an improper turn when they are trying to beat a traffic light that is about to change color.
It is important to understand that every driver owes a duty of care to other road users. If one driver behaves recklessly by making an improper left turn, then it can put other road users at risk. If you were hurt in a left turn car accident due to another driver’s lack of care and attention behind the wheel, then you must seek professional legal advice from a law firm that has experience in managing car accident cases in the State of Florida.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of collective experience in representing clients who have been hurt in car accidents due to the negligence of other drivers in North Port and across the State of Florida.
We understand the difficult situation that you are in following a left turn accident, and we know that the driver must be held accountable for their actions. Our team of car accident lawyers will investigate the accident, collect facts, build a strong personal injury claim, and negotiate with the insurance companies involved to get you the compensation that you are owed.
Contact The Law Place now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight to win the compensation that you deserve for your left turn accident in North Port. Phone lines are open 24/7.
The Law on Making Left Turns in North Port, FL.
The driver who makes the left turn is usually the one who is liable for an accident due to the rules concerning left turns in the State of Florida. Florida Statute 316.122 states that the driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left must yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or vehicles lawfully passing on the left of the turning vehicle. A violation of this statute is considered a non-criminal traffic infraction, which can be punished as a moving violation.
When a driver is at an intersection, and they intend to turn right, they are required to maneuver as close as possible to the right-hand curb, sidewalk, or edge of the road. When a driver intends to make a left turn, they are required to approach the farthest edge of the left-hand lane. When the driver turning left enters the intersection, they must perform the turn in a way that leaves the intersection clear for traffic coming from either direction on the road.
Every driver is required to follow commands given by a traffic control device that has been installed by an authority from the government. This applies even if the command by a traffic signal contradicts anything that is written in Florida Statute 316.151. In simple terms, every driver is required to turn at an intersection in line with the law unless they are given another instruction by a traffic control device. However, if a driver does not carry out a left turn correctly, then the driver will be issued a ticket and will have to pay a fine. The penalties will vary depending on the type of traffic violation that they committed in North Port.
The law surrounding left turn accidents can be quite complex. That is why you must seek legal advice from a personal injury attorney who can help to ensure that your case succeeds.
Major Accidents Caused by Left Turns in North Port, FL.
Every driver must have sound judgment and a focused mind to make a left turn across a busy road or intersection. A good driver must be able to adapt to any change in road conditions and obey the traffic law. Every driver is expected to yield to oncoming traffic until it is safe for them to make a left turn. It is also equally important that the driver is aware of pedestrians.
It is not uncommon for a left turn to cause a crash due to a driver’s error in judgment. A driver who intends to make a left-hand turn might fail to notice another car, motorcycle, or truck on the road, causing them to cut off their path. The driver might even fail to notice a pedestrian or bicyclist as they are proceeding with their left turn.
U.S. Department of Transportation reported that over 53.1% of crossing-path accidents involve a left turn. In addition, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that almost half of the 5.8 million car accidents reported every year involve intersections in the United States of America.
Determining Liability in a Left-Turn Accident in North Port, FL.
A driver who turns left at an intersection can hit a vehicle that is moving in the opposite direction. If you were injured in a left-turn accident, our team of personal injury lawyers would usually have to show that the driver turning left behaved in a negligent manner and violated their duty of care in order to recover compensation for your case.
Other scenarios where different parties could be held liable for your left turn accident include:
- If a vehicle part was found to be defective, the manufacturer could be held liable for the accident.
- If a driver was working for a company at the time of the crash, then their employer could be held liable.
- If another person besides the owner was operating the vehicle at the time of the accident, then the owner of the vehicle could be held liable.
- If a mechanic serviced the vehicle in a negligent manner, then the auto shop could be held liable.
What Causes a Left-Turn Accident in North Port, FL?
- The driver who made the left turn did not see the other vehicle. They could have been distracted by using their phone, eating, or talking to another passenger.
- The driver who made the left turn ran a red light or ignored a stop sign.
- The driver who made the left turn misjudged the speed of the oncoming vehicle.
What Will a Car Accident Lawyer Do for My Case in North Port, FL?
Our team of car accident lawyers will be prepared to fully investigate your case and determine who is liable for your accident. We will also:
- Discuss your case and what happened at the scene of the accident. It is important that you share all the details with us so that we can build your personal injury claim accordingly.
- Investigate the scene of the accident and search for skid marks, road conditions, and more.
- Interview eyewitnesses of the accident.
- Examine the damage to vehicles and other property in the accident.
- Gather facts and evidence, such as video footage and photographs.
- Negotiate with the insurance company involved to settle on a reasonable amount of compensation, which will cover all your injuries and other related losses.
- Be ready to take your case to court if we are unable to agree on a settlement with the insurance company involved.
Types of Injuries in a Left-Turn Accident in North Port, FL.
There are several different injuries that could be caused by left-turn accidents in North Port. The driver making the left turn might have crashed into the left side of your vehicle, causing a T-bone accident. In this type of accident, you will usually not have sufficient protection from injury.
Here are some of the most common types of injuries sustained in a left turn accident:
- Neck and back injuries – The blow of the impact can result in neck and back pain.
- Shoulder injuries – A side collision can result in pain in your shoulder.
- Head injuries – The impact of a crash can make you hit your head against the steering wheel or the window, which can result in a head or brain injury.
- Internal injuries – The seatbelt and the airbags in a vehicle can save you from serious damage, but they can also result in injuries to your bones, organs, or soft tissue.
Compensation Available After a Left-Turn Accident in North Port, FL.
A left turn accident can cause severe injury to every person involved in the collision. Most left turn accidents can become a T-bone impact, which means that the passenger side of the vehicle that is making the left turn collides with the front-end of another vehicle at high speed.
There are many forms of compensation available for a left turn accident victim, such as:
- Medical bills – The repayment for past, present, and future medical treatment, hospitalization, prescription medication, physical therapy, rehabilitation, medical equipment, and more.
- Loss of income – The repayment for any time off work that you have had to take to recover from your left-turn accident injuries.
- Property damage – The repayment for damage to your vehicle or other personal property.
- Pain and suffering – The repayment for a loss of quality or enjoyment in your life following the left-turn accident.
Contact The Law Place Today in North Port, FL.
If you suffered injuries in a left turn accident in North Port, then you could be eligible to recover compensation for your injuries and other related losses. However, you will need a left turn accident lawyer with the necessary skills and experience. The Law Place has over seventy-five years of combined experience when it comes to winning compensation for those who have been injured in car accidents in North Port and throughout the State of Florida.
Our law firm is skilled at negotiating with insurance companies to settle a case. Our team of car accident lawyers will explain the process of filing a personal injury claim, and they will also guide you through the legal system. We understand the pressure that you might be under, and we want to be the ones to help you win the compensation that you deserve.
Speak to us today, and we will explain how we can help you in your current situation. The phone lines to our office are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week so that we can be there for you when you need it the most.
Contact The Law Place now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight to win the compensation that you deserve for your left turn accident in North Port.