In North Port, cycling is a widely popular form of transportation. Many people cycle instead of using a car or public transportation in order to get to work and travel around their local area. Other people cycle for enjoyment, exercise, and to promote healthier wellbeing.
However, there are a lot of dangers associated with cycling. A huge number of accidents have occurred on the roads of North Port involving cyclists. In many cases, these accidents have resulted in severe personal injury, leaving victims with life-long consequences.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a bicycle accident in North Port, get in contact with a personal injury lawyer today. At The Law Place, our law firm has over 75 years of experience handling personal injury cases, including bicycle accidents. We can use our knowledge to help you win your case.
Contact our law firm today at (941) 444-4444 for a free consultation with one of our North Port personal injury attorneys. Phone lines are open 24/7.
What Causes Cycling Accidents?
There are a number of reasons cyclists get into accidents on the roads of North Port, Florida. These can include:
- The number of cyclists – Given that there are a large number of cyclists on the road, the chances of being in an accident increases. Adding to this is the amount of tourists who come and cycle in the area without proper knowledge of the roads. Many tourists cycle without much experience and, as a result, put others at risk.
- The environment – Both the weather and cycling at night can be a big factor in cycling accidents. Failing to wear adequate reflective clothing at night can put you and others at risk.
- Operator errors – Mistakes can be made by both cyclists and other road users. If you fail to take safety precautions when cycling, it is possible that bicycle accidents will happen.
- Distracted driving – Driving distracted is a huge cause of road accidents, including those involving cyclists. This includes drivers who text behind the wheel and also those who speed, drive while intoxicated, and exhibit road rage.
If a negligent driver has caused your bicycle accident in North Port, you may be able to claim compensation against them for any personal injury you have suffered. It is important that you contact a personal injury lawyer today so they can build a strong case on your behalf.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving North Port, call 941-444-4444
How to Prevent Bicycle Accidents
Although many bicycle accidents are caused by other users of the road, engaging in safe cycling can prevent accidents from happening. Some of the main safety practices you should engage in while cycling include:
- Making yourself visible – It can be difficult for other road users to see cyclists at times, particularly at night or when there is poor visibility. Ensuring that you always wear adequate reflective gear, including having lights on both the front and back of your bike, can help prevent many collisions from happening.
- Using bike lanes, paths, and trails – Not all roads are cyclist-friendly. When they are, it is important that you always use the bike lane, and you should stay away from roads that are not cyclist-friendly when possible.
- Abiding by the rules of the road – It is important to follow the rules of the road at all times, including stopping at stop signs, never cycling against traffic, and abiding by traffic signals.
- Not getting distracted – Getting distracted whilst cycling often causes accidents. Always remain focused on the road and don’t use your phone whilst cycling.
- Cycling sober – Just like when driving a vehicle, if you are intoxicated, you should never ride your bike.
- Never wear headphones while cycling – If you are wearing headphones while cycling, you are restricting your ability to hear oncoming traffic. Receiving compensation for an accident in which you had headphones on can be quite difficult.
- Respecting pedestrians – Even if there are no bike lanes, you should always avoid cycling on the sidewalk. At crosswalks, you are required to give way to pedestrians.
Engaging in safe cycling practice at all times can greatly reduce your chances of being in an accident. This includes always wearing protective and visibility gear on the road. If you are wearing a helmet, you can prevent serious personal injury from happening to you if an accident happens. Although the law in North Port doesn’t require you to wear a helmet over the age of 16, it has been shown that wearing one saves lives.
North Port Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
What Are the Consequences of Bicycle Accidents?
Depending on how severe your bicycle accident was, the injuries suffered may vary. Frequent consequences of cycling accidents include:
- Road rash – When your skin has been damaged as a result of an accident.
- Broken bones – Fractures or breaks to your bones resulting from a collision.
- Internal bleeding – When blood vessels have been damaged and cause bleeding inside your body.
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) – Damage to your brain or head as a result of the collision.
- Joint dislocation – Where joints get separated during a bicycle accident.
- Paralysis – A severe consequence of a bicycle accident that results in losing muscle or motor functions and affects your mobility.
Click to contact our North Port Personal Injury Lawyers today
Who Pays for My Injuries?
If you are involved in a bicycle accident in North Port, Florida, you should contact your insurance company first. Due to Florida being a no-fault state, insurance companies are required to cover some of your damages, including personal injury and property damage, regardless of whether your actions caused the accident.
However, in many situations, the amount of compensation awarded to you by your insurance company will not adequately reflect the damage you’ve suffered. If this is the case, you may have to make a claim to get the compensation you deserve. In these situations, we recommend speaking with a personal injury lawyer who has the relevant experience to help you win your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Do I Do at the Scene of an Accident?
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident in North Port and are unsure of what to do, these are the steps that we advise you to take:
- Firstly, get yourself and those around you to safety. It is important that you get off the road and don’t put yourself in any further danger.
- Secondly, if any party has suffered injuries, immediately call the local police and emergency services in North Port.
- Make sure that you get the information of all parties involved and write down details from the accident. This includes details of the vehicle involved, including the registration, model, and condition of the car.
- If the driver who caused the accident is still present, be sure to take all of their information. If they refuse or are hesitant to give you their details, make them aware that they are required to do this under the law in North Port, Florida.
- If at all possible, drawing a sketch of the accident will be of great help to your personal injury lawyer when they are making a claim on your behalf. This can just be a simple sketch outlining the road and the position of you and the other driver on the road at the time of the accident.
- Once you have done all this, it is important that you contact a personal injury lawyer who can assist you in building a case against the party at fault.
What to Do If You Are Injured in a Bicycle Accident in North Port
The most important thing to do if you have been in a bicycle accident is to call the emergency services. Regardless of whether you have suffered serious injuries, police need to be made aware of the accident so they can provide you with a medical assessment. Failing to get any medical attention within the first two weeks of your accident can result in you not receiving the compensation you deserve.
Following this, you should call a law firm to speak with a personal injury lawyer in North Port that can guide you through the process of claiming compensation. Make sure that you keep all documentation of the accident safe, including any personal or medical expenses you have had to pay. Having clear documentation of the incident will be a huge help to your personal injury attorney when making a claim on your behalf.
Contact a Bicycle Accident in North Port, FL., Today
Being involved in a bicycle accident can be traumatic and stressful. Having the assistance of a personal injury lawyer following an accident can make the process of claiming compensation much easier for you.
Our North Port personal injury lawyers at The Law Place have the necessary experience and skills that are needed to help you win your case. Our law firm will use our combined experience to take over your case and fight for your right to compensation.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a bicycle accident in North Port, get in contact with our law firm today. We will arrange a free consultation with no strings attached, meaning you will receive advice from one of our personal injury lawyers without having to commit to making a claim.
Call us today at (941) 444-4444. Our lines are open 24/7 for your convenience.
Call or text 941-444-4444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form