If you were hurt in a car accident by a drunk driver, then you could be entitled to compensation to cover all of your injuries and other related losses in North Port. To protect your legal rights, reach out to a car accident lawyer today.
Drunk drivers are a danger on the road, as they threaten the safety of not only themselves but also the safety of pedestrians, motorcyclists, and other road users. It is important that you seek legal counsel from a reputable law firm to help you understand your rights after you have been involved in a drunk driving accident.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of collective experience when it comes to fighting for the rights of clients that have suffered in car accidents as a result of drunk drivers in North Port and across the State of Florida. Our law firm has managed hundreds of cases similar to yours, and we will tackle your case with skill and expertise.
Our team of car accident lawyers will help you in your fight for justice, and we will hold the drunk driver liable for their actions in North Port. Rest assured that we will work hard to secure the maximum amount of compensation to cover your injuries, pain and suffering, lost wages, property damage, and more.
If you call our office today, we can set up a free consultation in which a car accident lawyer will explain the process of filing a personal injury claim and how we can be of service to you. Our phone lines are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
Contact The Law Place now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight to win the compensation that you deserve for your drunk driving accident in North Port.
Common Types of Drunk Driving Accidents in North Port, FL.
Alcohol can seriously affect a driver’s ability to make good judgments behind the wheel. An impaired driver is unpredictable, and they pose a serious risk on the road. It is important for you to always be aware and watch for the signs of dangerous driving in North Port.
Here are some of the most common types of accidents that can occur as a result of driving under the influence:
- Rear-end collision – A drunk driver will have slow reaction times, which makes it more likely for them to rear-end another vehicle.
- Head-on collision – A drunk driver will usually swerve in and out of traffic, which can quickly end up in a head-on collision. A head-on collision tends to result in serious or life-threatening injuries.
- T-Bone collision – A drunk driver can cause a T-bone crash when they hit another vehicle from the side. This is also known as a side-impact collision. A T-bone crash tends to occur if a driver fails to stop at a red light or stop sign.
- Wrong-way collision – A drunk driver can end up in a wrong-way crash when they turn the wrong way on a one-way street or drive into a freeway off-ramp. A wrong-way crash on the freeway often tends to result in death.
For a free legal consultation with a drunk driving accidents lawyer serving North Port, call 941-444-4444
Recognizing a Drunk Driver in North Port, FL.
It is important that you always keep a lookout for dangerous driving on the roads in North Port. If you were to see someone who you think might be driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, do not wait to call the police. By acting fast, you can save lives. It is not always obvious whether someone has been drinking, but here some of the most common signs of drunk driving that you should watch for:
- Swerving – Drunk drivers tend to struggle to stay in their own lane.
- Ignoring traffic laws – Drunk drivers are usually unable to see or read traffic signs on the road, or they may choose to ignore traffic signs. Some of the most common traffic infractions include speeding, failing to signal, driving the wrong way, and running red lights or stop signs.
- Driving too fast or too slowly – Most of the time, drunk drivers are usually aware of how many drinks they have had, so they might try to drive too slowly in an attempt to be cautious and avoid causing an accident. In other cases, they might start to speed in order to reach their destination quickly. However, more often than not, drink drivers are actually unable to accurately estimate how fast they are driving due to being intoxicated.
- Tailgating – Drunk drivers tend to have a lack of depth perception, which means they cannot tell how close to another vehicle they actually are. A delayed response time can also affect their ability to slow down in time when they are in traffic.
- Wide turns – Drunk drivers often struggle with poor judgment, lack of depth perception, and reduced peripheral vision, which can lead to them making wide or high-speed turns.
North Port Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
I Was Injured in a Drunk Driving Accident in North Port, What Should I Do?
All types of car accidents are scary, so it is normal for you to feel overwhelmed by the stress of it all. However, it is important for you to understand how your actions can affect your legal rights. Remember to keep these steps in mind:
- Stay at the scene – You must stay at the scene of an accident in North Port. If possible, move away from oncoming traffic and to a safe spot near the crash.
- Check for injuries – It is important that you make your health and safety a priory after an accident. Check yourself and your passengers for any injuries.
- Call an ambulance – If anyone suffered injuries, you should immediately call an ambulance to the location of the accident.
- Call the police – You are required to call the police to the scene of the crash after a car accident in line with Florida Statute 316.062. Once they arrive at the location, a police officer will investigate and file a report, which will help when you pursue compensation at a later date.
- Evidence – It is crucial that you gather evidence while you are still at the scene of the accident. The best way to collect evidence is to take pictures, such as the location, damage to any vehicles, and any injuries.
- Eyewitnesses – If anyone saw the accident happen, make sure that you get their names and phone numbers, as their statement will help when you pursue compensation at a later date.
- Go to the hospital – It is important that you get a checkup at the hospital as soon as possible, even if you think that you survived the drunk driving accident without a scratch. You might not feel some injuries until much later, which is why you have to seek medical attention immediately. The sooner that you see the doctor, the better.
- Notify your insurance company – You will need to call your insurance company to notify them of a car accident as soon as possible. Remember not to share any details about the crash, and just stick to the basic facts. If you do not feel like talking to your insurance company, then you can always ask your car accident lawyer to speak to them on your behalf.
- Hire a north port drunk driving accident lawyer – A car accident lawyer from The Law Place will provide the support and guidance that you need after suffering a drunk driving accident. We will be your strongest advocate in pursuing compensation from the at-fault party in North Port.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for Drunk Driving Accidents in North Port, FL?
The obvious person to blame for an accident will usually be the drunk driver, but there might have been other people who contributed to the drunk driving accident in North Port. A car accident lawyer will investigate your case to determine who should be held liable for your injuries and other related losses.
In most cases, it is the drunk driver who will be held responsible for a crash. However, Florida Statute 768.125 declares that some businesses, like a bar, could be held responsible in certain situations. Here are some examples:
- Any business that willfully and unlawfully sells alcohol to a person under the age of 21, which leads to them becoming drunk and causing an accident, can be held liable for any injuries.
- Any business that knowingly serves a person habitually addicted to alcohol can be held liable for a car accident under the Florida dram shop law.
- An adult who served alcohol to a minor, which ultimately lead to a car accident, can be held partially liable.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Common Drunk Driving Injuries in North Port, FL.
There are a number of different injuries that can come out of a car accident, ranging from minor cuts and bruises to long-term pain and suffering. Some of the most common types of injuries include:
- Burns – A serious car accident can possibly cause an explosion, resulting in burns and scars.
- Soft tissue injuries – These types of injuries include strains, sprains, bruises, and inflammation.
- Broken bones – The force of a crash can make someone’s bones bend in unnatural ways.
- Spinal cord injuries – Injuries to someone’s spine can range from herniated discs to spinal cord injuries, which can possibly lead to consistent pain or even paralysis.
- Traumatic brain injuries – An impact to the head can cause sensory issues, dizziness, headaches, speech impairments, loss of consciousness, and other complications.
Compensation Available in Drunk Driving Accidents in North Port, FL.
If you have been injured in a drunk driving accident, then you will need a car accident lawyer to determine the extent of your damages and recover the compensation that you deserve in North Port. The most common types of compensation available for a personal injury case include:
- Medical bills – You will need compensation to cover your past, present, and future medical bills, such as prescription medication, physical therapy, hospitalization, surgery, visits to the doctor, long-term care, and more.
- Lost wages – You will need compensation to cover your lost time at work, which also includes any changes to your usual income since the drunk driving accident.
- Property damage – You will need compensation to cover your costs to repair or replace your vehicle and any other damaged property, such as a mobile phone.
- Pain and suffering – You will need compensation to cover your emotional trauma, mental anguish, PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), or even a reduction to your quality of life due to being unable to participate in activities that you could perform before the accident.
- Wrongful death – You will need compensation to cover funeral expenses, pain and suffering, medical bills, funeral costs, and loss of consortium after the loss of your loved one. You will be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit under Florida Statute 768.21.
What Happens to the Other Driver in a Drunk Driving Accident in North Port, FL?
The State of Florida does not tolerate drunk drivers, and there are strict laws in place to combat drunk driving. If the police officers determine that the other driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the car accident, then they will most likely face serious penalties for their actions. The consequences include large fines and spending time in jail.
It is worth noting that the outcome of their criminal case will not affect your personal injury claim, and you can still recover compensation for your losses – even if the court discovers that the other driver was not guilty of driving under the influence.
Is There a Time Limit for My Personal Injury Claim in North Port, FL?
The statute of limitations declares that you have up to four years from the time of the car accident to file a personal injury claim in the State of Florida. If the time limit passes, then the court will most likely dismiss your case. However, there are a few exceptions to this law, such as:
- The person was under the age of 21.
- You were unable to find the at-fault party.
- Fraudulent activity.
Four years might seem like a long time, but there are many components in a drunk driving accident case. That is why it is important for you to seek legal representation at the very beginning, as this gives your car accident lawyer enough time to collect evidence and develop a strong personal injury claim. The more time that your car accident lawyer has, the better the outcome will be for your case.
More information on the statute of limitations can be found in Florida Statue 95.11.
The Insurance Company Offered Me a Deal Should I Accept It?
Insurance companies have a reputation for prioritizing profit and devaluing personal injury claims. It is not unusual for them to reach out to car accident victims to offer them money at the early stages of a claim. If you receive an offer from an insurance company, this usually means that they can see the value of your case and they are trying to settle at a lower price. They are not acting out of your best interests, and you must not accept their offer without the advice of a car accident lawyer.
The first offered settlement is always less compensation than what your case is actually worth. A car accident lawyer will be able to negotiate with the insurance companies involved in order to agree on a settlement that will cover all of your injuries and other related losses. They will also be able to determine whether you should accept one of their offers or take your case to court in order to get the compensation that you deserve.
Will I Have to Go to Court in North Port, FL?
It is worth noting that most drunk driving accident cases tend to settle without having to go to court. This is usually because both parties understand that costs will increase once you go to court. However, going to court might be the only option if the insurance company is not willing to offer a reasonable settlement.
Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer in North Port, FL?
You are not required to hire a car accident lawyer after a car crash. However, it is worth speaking to a lawyer at least once in order to get an idea of how they could bring value to your case. Drunk driving accidents are very complicated cases, and you will unlikely be successful in achieving the outcome that you desire on your own.
If you suffered injuries and other damages, then you must protect your future by hiring a North Port car accident lawyer to handle your case. They will provide the support and guidance that you need to secure the best possible outcome. Get in touch with a car accident lawyer from The Law Place who can evaluate your case and help you to obtain a reasonable settlement.
Contact The Law Place Today in North Port, FL.
If you were involved in a drunk driving accident that resulted in injuries and other losses, then you could be eligible to receive compensation in North Port. Drunk driving accidents are serious and complicated cases that require the skills and knowledge of a car accident lawyer. The Law Place has over seventy-five years of combined experience in managing personal injury claims for victims of drunk driving accidents in North Port and throughout the State of Florida. Our law firm understands the complex nature of drunk driving cases, and we will guide you through the legal system with skill and efficiency.
If you choose to be represented by us, then we will fight relentlessly to secure the compensation that you are owed from the at-fault party. Rest assured that we will not settle for less than you deserve. Our team of personal injury lawyers will handle the legal side of your case while you take the necessary time that you need to recover from your injuries.
Contact The Law Place now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight to win the compensation that you deserve for your drunk driving accident in North Port. Phone lines are open 24/7.