Florida is home to a very high percentage of elderly residents, as the state’s beautiful surroundings and pleasant weather make it a very attractive place to retire. In fact, it’s been estimated that by 2030, a quarter of Florida’s drivers will be 65 years old or older. An effect of this will be more elderly drivers, often with deteriorating vision and impaired hearing. Elderly drivers are responsible for a substantial amount of car accidents every year.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a North Port auto accident that involved an elderly driver, then you should get in touch with The Law Place today. Our personal injury attorneys have a combined 75+ years of experience in dealing with the Florida legal system and helping clients get the justice that they deserve. Our personal injury lawyers can offer you valuable legal advice, discuss the details of your case, and answer any queries you may have. We are ready to get started on your case and fight for the justice you deserve, so don’t hesitate! Contact The Law Place today to schedule a free consultation at (941) 444-4444!
In This Article
- Reasons for Accidents Involving Elderly Drivers in North Port, FL.
- Types of Injuries Caused by Accidents with Elderly Drivers
- Aging and Liability for Automobile Crashes in Florida
- Seeking Compensation After a Car Accident With an Elderly Driver in North Port, FL.
- What Will The Law Place Do for Me?
- Contact The Law Place for Help
Reasons for Accidents Involving Elderly Drivers in North Port, FL.
A lot of accidents caused by elderly drivers occur for the same reasons that other collisions do. For example, car accidents may be caused by reckless or aggressive driving, distracted driving, fatigued driving, or even driving under the influence.
However, a lot of accidents that include elderly drivers were caused for distinct reasons that are rarely involved in other accidents. Below are some common reasons for accidents caused by elderly drivers:
- Impaired vision.
- Difficulty in focusing.
- Limited range of motion.
- Delayed reaction times.
- Medication that may affect the ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Regardless of the cause, if you have been involved in a car accident with an elderly driver that was not your fault, then you deserve compensation. Call The Law Place today to book a free consultation with one of our experienced and accomplished car accident lawyers based in North Port, Florida. Don’t risk facing a big insurance company by yourself. Contact us for the best chance at receiving the justice you deserve.
Types of Injuries Caused by Accidents with Elderly Drivers
Any car accident can leave those involved with severe and life-changing injuries. These injuries could be even more serious if they were sustained by an older person, as they often take much longer to recover than younger people.
Injuries that can be sustained in any car accident include:
- Sprains, lacerations, cuts, burns, and bruises.
- Broken bones and fractures.
- Neck injuries, such as whiplash.
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis.
- Traumatic brain or head injuries.
- Internal organ injuries.
- Internal bleeding.
- Wrongful death.
The severity of the injuries you sustain in a car accident involving an elderly driver often impacts how much compensation you can win. But even if you sustained only minor injuries, you would still be entitled to a substantial amount of financial compensation, as you still suffered. To find out how much money you may deserve and how to get it, contact The Law Place today. Our personal injury lawyers have extensive experience in helping victims of all sorts of accidents, including car accidents caused by elderly drivers, so don’t delay! Call The Law Place to schedule a free consultation today.
Aging and Liability for Automobile Crashes in Florida
In many elderly-related car accidents, it is the elderly driver’s negligence that is responsible for the crash. Their deteriorating physical and cognitive abilities mean that they are not the safe drivers they once were, which means they are more likely to cause an accident. However, in order to prove they were at fault and that you’re a victim who deserves compensation, your Florida personal injury attorney must be able to prove negligence.
Negligence is the failure to use the reasonable and expected amount of care that any person would use under similar circumstances. To be able to prove negligence, your personal injury attorney needs to be able to establish the following:
- The defendant had a duty to exercise care.
- The defendant breached this duty of care.
- The breach was the cause of the victim’s injuries.
- The victim has incurred damages from said injuries.
Regardless of their age, all Florida drivers have a duty of care when they are operating a vehicle on a public road. This means they must obey the rules of the road, submit to vision tests conducted by qualified and licensed medical providers if necessary, and refrain from committing any potentially dangerous actions whilst driving.
To find out whether the at-fault driver of the car accident you were involved in acted negligently and is liable for your damages, contact The Law Place today and schedule a free consultation with our qualified accident attorneys.
Seeking Compensation After a Car Accident With an Elderly Driver in North Port, FL.
If you have been involved in a car accident that was caused by an elderly driver, and was not your fault, then you may be entitled to compensation. After you begin working with us, we will get to work on gathering evidence to prove the at-fault driver’s negligence, assess all the damages you’ve sustained, and calculate how much money you are entitled to. Below are some of the most common damages that you could receive financial compensation for:
- Medical expenses – It is very likely that you required medical treatment because of the injuries you suffered from the accident. You deserve compensation to cover these costs. This can include projected medical bills as well as all related expenses, such as doctor appointments, surgeries, medication costs, and even transportation to and from appointments.
- Property damage – It is also likely that your vehicle was damaged by the accident. The cost of repairs should be reimbursed.
- Loss of wages – Suffering an injury may prevent you from going back to work for a lengthy period. You may be owed money to cover your lost wages, including past, present, and future wages, as well as a loss of earning capability.
- Pain and suffering – The aftermath of car accidents can often leave you suffering from mental trauma and emotional distress, perhaps because you are no longer able to enjoy things you once did. If this is the case for you, then you could be owed compensation. However, this can be very difficult to prove in a court, and so it’s best to have an experienced accident attorney on your side to help you argue your case.
- Loss of a loved one – If the car accident ultimately meant that you lost a loved one, then you should receive compensation that covers all funeral costs and loss of consortium.
We know that compensation cannot fix what you’ve suffered and what you may have lost. However, it can help relieve you of the financial burdens you may now be experiencing and can serve as some proof that justice has been served. Therefore, if you were the victim of a car accident caused by an elderly driver in North Port, then you should contact The Law Place today to schedule a free consultation. Your chances of winning compensation will be much higher if you enlist the help of skilled Florida attorneys, like the ones at The Law Place, and the sooner you get in touch, the more time we will have to investigate and build your case.
What Will The Law Place Do for Me?
Once you have contacted our law firm about seeking compensation for a motor vehicle accident you were involved in, then we will arrange a free case evaluation with one of our experienced North Port attorneys. During this consultation, we will discuss your accident with you and calculate how much compensation you could be entitled to, based on the damages, pain, and suffering that you endured because of the crash.
After this consultation, you can decide whether you want to hire our law firm for your case. If you do, we will arrange another meeting, during which we will explore the accident and your case in more detail. Our lawyers will take charge of the case and liaise with all parties involved in the accident to collect all relevant evidence. This will take the stress off your shoulders, as you will know that your case is being dealt with by professionals.
Our law firm works on a contingency basis, which means you won’t have to pay anything upfront, and any fees incurred will simply be deducted from the final settlement that we secure for you. This means that if your case is unsuccessful, you won’t be charged for our services. Car accidents can be devastating. Seek the justice that you deserve.
Contact The Law Place for Help
With over 75 years of combined experience in helping clients just like you fight for justice, you can trust that our accomplished car accident lawyers at The Law Place will be able to guide and support you throughout the complex legal process. There’s no need to face the big insurance companies alone – give yourself the best chance at securing the compensation that you deserve by working alongside The Law Place.
Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don’t hesitate! Call us today for a free consultation at (941) 444-4444!