Driving a motor vehicle always carries the risk that an accident may happen. Tampa, Florida, is, unfortunately, victim to a number of trucking accidents due to the presence of the Port of Tampa. This is known as the largest tonnage port in Florida, and therefore trucks are common on Tampa roads. As well as this, the roadway system employed to aid the Port of Tampa has been found to also be the route to a number of moving van accidents. The consequences of such an accident can be devastating; thus, legal aid is advisable.
If you or a loved one have been affected by a trucking accident, then compensation may be available to you. Due to the fact it can be difficult to determine fault for an accident, it is advisable to consider enlisting a personal injury lawyer to take on insurance companies and help make sense of the Florida legal system on your fight for compensation. Our law firm, The Law Place, can provide such services if involved in a Tampa truck accident.
If you or somebody you know have experienced and sustained an injury or received other damages in a truck accident, then you could be entitled to certain financial compensation. At The Law Place, located here in Tampa, Florida, we are aware of how a moving van accident can be both potentially emotionally and physically damaging.
Our team in Tampa is dedicated to ensuring each client receives the justice they deserve. With over 75 years of experience in dealing with the Florida legal system, The Law Place can be trusted that each personal injury lawyer on our team will be committed to the fight for justice on your behalf. Don’t hesitate to get in contact. Call our law firm today on (888) 224-6114 to book a free consultation with an experienced personal injury for a free case evaluation.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Tampa
There is a range of possible causes behind a moving truck accident. In most truck accidents, however, the accident lies with the fault of the truck driver. Listed below are some of the most noted causes of truck accidents in Tampa, FL:
- Maintenance of the vehicle or cargo within – It is often found that the cause of a truck accident in Tampa is the failure to properly maintain the safety systems of the truck; this includes the tires, brakes, axles, or lights. Such instances of poor maintenance can equate to an accident. As well as this, in terms of cargo, a truck driver may fail to properly secure the cargo or overload the trailer. This could lead to the truck driver losing control of the truck due to the unbalanced weight of the cargo.
- Poor driving – Distracted driving is more and more common in this society, texting, making calls, or other dangerous behavior can all lead to an accident. As well as this, aggressive driving is also a danger which can cause a trucking accident, examples include – following too closely to the driver ahead, speeding, running through red lights, cutting off drivers, and unsafe lane changes whilst driving. Some drivers, in some cases, are even found to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, which can greatly impair your ability to drive safely through reduced reaction times and decision making.
- The fault of the trucking companies – In some Tampa truck accidents, the fault has been found in the companies too. Negligent hiring can lead to the employment of unqualified drivers or drivers with a poor track record, increasing the risk of trucking accidents. As well as this, the pressure placed upon drivers by the trucking companies to deliver quickly can lead to speeding and/or the long hours with improper breaks can cause fatigue, which hence impairs their ability to drive. Trucking companies should always be abiding by the federal motor carrier safety administration regulations at all times, or else fault can lie with them after a collision.
- Poor weather conditions – Periodic and often heavy downpours in Florida can often be a factor in causing accidents due to drivers struggling to keep control of their vehicles.
Types of Truck Accidents in Tampa
There are four types of truck accidents common in Florida, the severity of which depends on which type as does the injury acquired from such a crash. The most common types are:
- Override – When a truck rear-ends a smaller vehicle.
- Under-ride – Opposite of an override; when the smaller vehicle rear-ends a larger vehicle, i.e., the truck.
- Cargo spill – When cargo falls from a truck. This can cause a great deal of damage, either via falling directly onto cars or into the road, whereby cars then crash into the fallen cargo.
- Rollover – Trucks can tip over if drivers travel too fast around a corner. This can then cause damage if they land directly onto cars or in nearby lanes or cause blockades, which can lead to a chain-reaction crash.
No matter the type of crash type, all accidents are just as serious, so it is important to seek legal help in all cases. Our firm operates across Florida and can aid in the fight for justice after experiencing such a collision, get in contact today for a free consultation!
Common Injuries Resulting From Moving Truck Accidents
A trucking accident can lead to extremely severe, potentially long-lasting or permanent injuries, and in some cases, can be fatal. Typical injuries resulting from a trucking accident involve:
- Traumatic brain injury.
- Spinal cord injury.
- Crushed, fractured, or broken bones.
- Internal bleeding or organ damage.
- Burns to the skin.
- Whiplash and other neck injuries.
- Cuts, bruises, and soreness.
Trucking accidents can also lead to property loss and/or damage and possibly emotional distress. Instances of emotional distress include:
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
It is important that if you or somebody you know have experienced any type of injury or impact, listed or not, after an accident to seek legal help and to find a suitable accident lawyer. If in the Tampa FL area, then The Law Place is available for a free consultation.
An experienced personal injury lawyer from our firm will be able to offer a free case evaluation and begin discussing the next steps in regard to fighting for any compensation you are owed from your accident.
Common Damages Available Following a Truck Accident
If you have been involved in a Tampa truck accident, then you can claim for damages using our injury law firm. The Law Place will appoint a personal injury lawyer who will aim for the maximum amount of compensation suited to you possible. Compensation can be received as follows:
- Medical expenses – If you or your loved one have sustained an injury in a Tampa truck accident, then you should be able to claim and receive damages to cover any medical bills you had to pay after the truck accident.
- Lost wages – If any injuries you sustained in the truck accident mean that you were unable to work and thus lost wages, then because of this, you may deserve compensation for said lost income.
- Pain and suffering – If the truck accident caused pain and suffering, this equates to emotional and/or mental suffering, as well as a loss of enjoyment in activities you did regularly enjoy pre truck accident, then compensation could be claimed. Although, as these are often difficult to prove, it is important to seek out the aid of an accident lawyer who is experienced in Florida injury law.
- Wrongful death – In the very unfortunate case that a truck accident leads to the loss of a loved one, then those close to the victim may be able to claim compensation to cover funeral costs and loss of consortium.
- Property damage – If the truck accident leads to your vehicle or any other property belonging to you is damaged, then you deserve compensation for any possible repair/replacement bills you face.
An accident lawyer from The Law Place will be more than happy to discuss and explain any damages you may deserve if you call to book a free consultation with us. The losses experienced in a truck accident can often be considerable, and therefore in order to give you the greatest possible chance in receiving the damages you deserve, you should contact a specialized accident lawyer based in Tampa to aid in the navigation of Florida law in the fight for compensation and justice you so desperately deserve after your Tampa truck accident.
What Should I Do If I’m in a Truck Accident in Tampa?
Sadly in a lot of cases, you or your loved one will not be in a suitable condition at the scene of a truck accident to do anything other than cooperate with any medical attention they may need. Health is always the top priority when having been in an accident. However, if in a stable condition, it is always advisable to gather evidence to help your case succeed. Examples of ways to help your case include:
- Call 911 – In any trucking accident, the first step will be to call 911 and alert the emergency services. This will more often than not have already been done by witnesses immediately, but if not, do so yourself if stable. Do not let the truck driver persuade you; it is not necessary if you’re in pain or your vehicle is damaged.
- Be careful what you say – In some cases of trucking accidents, the driver may seek to blame you instead. It is vital not to say things that could be construed as admitting you were instead at fault for the accident. Even when talking to law enforcement, be careful what you say; you have to tell the truth at all times, but you do not have to volunteer information.
- Gather any witness information – It is unfortunate, but law enforcement can often fail to get the full names and/or contact information of vital witnesses of the truck accident. It is, therefore, important to take down names, addresses, any phone numbers of any witnesses, if at all possible in your state afterward.
- Take photos – Cases can take time, and in this time, memories may fade about key things at the scene that can aid in your case. Therefore take photos of the truck, your vehicle, and the roadway. Include pictures of every detail, even if you yourself do not find it relevant.
- Ensure you receive all follow-up medical care you may require – The driver of the truck or owning company may try to argue that if you do not seek all avenues of medical attention that you may not have been hurt as bad as you claim. Consequently, it is best to be treated for every injury you have experienced. If you do not have health insurance or have trouble finding a doctor, many law firms may be able to find you a Florida doctor to treat you.
- Get an experienced accident lawyer – It is likely that the trucking company who employs the driver or owns the truck will try to prevent the cause of the accident (e.g., negligence or not abiding by the federal motor carrier safety administration regulations) from getting back to them. In an effort to prevent this, they will act quickly and possibly offer a low-ball settlement to the victim. It is, therefore, paramount to enlist the aid of an experienced Tampa truck accident lawyer, they will understand the Florida legal system and aim to get you the highest possible compensation for your case.
The Law Place
The Law Place specializes in understanding the Florida legal system so that our clients receive the best possible service to ensure their rights to compensation are achieved after an accident. Our law firm spans across Florida, so if you have been involved in a truck collision in the Tampa, Florida area, do not hesitate to get in touch with an accident lawyer at our firm to begin the fight in receiving the compensation you so rightly deserve. Phone lines are always open to arrange a meeting or discussion – call (888) 224-6114 today!