With such pristine beaches and harbors, lakes, and rivers, it’s no surprise that recreational boating in Florida, and Tampa especially, is such a popular pastime for many residents and tourists alike. Each year, thousands of people venture out on boats, jet skis, speed boats, sailboats, yachts, and more. However, with this comes dangerous and potentially lethal boating accidents if people are negligent behind the wheel or not skilled enough to control it.
According to the Coast Guard Report, Florida is the state with the highest amount of boating accidents in the United States, which have led to hundreds of injuries and preventable deaths, and so our Florida law firm is well experienced and well equipped to help you with your boating accident case.
At The Law Place, we understand how life-changing it can be when you are involved in a serious boat accident. Our personal injury lawyers have over 75 years of combined experience in dealing with the Florida legal system and will give you the best chance at receiving the compensation that you deserve by aggressively pursuing the maximum possible amount on your behalf.
So, call us today to book a free consultation with a boating accident lawyer at (941) 444-4444.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents in Tampa, FL.
When people are out boating, they must follow the admiral and maritime laws, similar to the laws that you obey whilst driving. These laws are meant to protect the safety of boat operators and their passengers. However, they are, unfortunately, not able to prevent all potential accidents. Many Florida boating accidents may occur because of the following reasons:
- Negligence – Negligence includes operators overloading the vessel, hitting a big wave at an excessive speed, and more. Boating operators have a duty of care to their passengers and fellow boaters on the water with them. By acting recklessly, they are putting everyone around them in danger and are risking a potentially fatal boat accident.
- Excessive speed – It is crucial that boat operators and jet skiers always maintain a safe speed. Even the most experienced boat operators can easily lose control of the boat and crash when they are moving at high speed.
- Alcohol use – In accordance with Florida Statute 327.35, it is illegal in Florida to operate a vessel while under the influence of either alcohol or drugs. When under the influence, our reaction times are slowed, and our decision making is irrational, making it incredibly dangerous if this is the case when operating a boat.
- Inexperience – Operating and controlling boats can be very difficult, and if boat operators do not have the skill or experience necessary, then this could lead to a boating accident.
- Poor weather conditions – High winds can make waters very dangerous, and it can be risky to go out sailing in these conditions, especially if the operator is not very experienced. By going out in poor weather conditions, they are putting themselves, their passengers, and other boaters at great risk.
These are, of course, not the only causes of boating accidents. Regardless of the reason, if you have been involved and injured in a Tampa boating accident, then you may be entitled to financial compensation. Call The Law Place today for an established accident attorney to provide you with a free case evaluation and give you advice on how we may be able to help you.
For a free legal consultation with a boating accidents lawyer serving Tampa, call 941-444-4444
Types of Boating Accidents in Tampa, FL.
No matter what the type, cause, nature, or severity of the accident, The Law Place is highly suited to represent your case, as our personal injury lawyers have over 75 years of combined experience. However, the most common types of accidents include, but are not exclusive to, the following:
- Propeller accidents – The propellers attached to boats are, unsurprisingly, incredibly dangerous. They are rapidly spinning, sharp blades, and so can cause serious and deep wounds, dismemberment, and internal injuries, and are a potential hazard to those in the water, not just those on the boat.
- Drowning accidents – Any time spent on a boat, regardless of how short, could lead to time being spent in the water when you least expect it. If a passenger cannot swim, or there is a lack of life jackets, then drowning accidents can occur. Even the strongest and most experienced swimmer could drown if the conditions are dangerous enough.
- Overboard accidents – If passengers or workers fall overboard, then the impact could seriously injure them and/or leave them unconscious. If they cannot swim, and if the water conditions are rough, then this could lead to drowning.
- Slips – Naturally, the floor of boats is often wet and slippery. If boat owners and workers do not keep their decks and other floor surfaces dry, then it could lead to serious injury.
- Run over accidents – Swimmers could potentially suffer traumatic and potentially lethal injuries if they are run over by a boat.
- Crew member accidents – The nature of the work and equipment used itself is dangerous, particularly to less experienced crew members.
There are, of course, a limitless number of different accidents that could be caused by boats. If you have been involved in any type of boating accident, then you should call us today to speak to a personal injury lawyer.
Tampa Boating Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Frequent Injuries Caused by Boating Accidents in Tampa, FL.
Any type of boating accident has the potential to cause you serious injury. However, in particular, accidents involving jet skis can be more severe because of the exposed nature of the rider. Below are some of the most common injuries sustained in boating accidents:
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Brain and head trauma.
- Broken bones and fractures.
- Lacerations, cuts, and bruises.
- Wrongful death.
The accident may also have caused you emotional and mental distress and property damage.
If you have been involved in a boating accident and have experienced any of the above injuries or others, then you may be able to claim compensation. If you contact one of our personal injury lawyers today at The Law Place, then they will be able to offer you a free consultation to review your case and give you expert advice.
Damages Commonly Won in Boat Accident Cases in Tampa, FL.
Our law firm understands that a Tampa boating accident could completely turn your life upside down. It is not fair that you should be suffering perhaps severe injuries and having to juggle with the financial burdens caused by an accident that isn’t your fault. This is why you need an experienced boat accident lawyer from The Law Place on your side to battle the legal system for you and ensure you receive all the financial compensation that you deserve.
Our Florida law firm may be able to win you compensation for the following:
- Medical bills – Any injuries that you may have sustained in the boat accident may have required extensive and costly medical treatment. If this is the case for you, then you may be entitled to compensation, which will cover past and future hospital bills, including transport to and from appointments and other related expenses.
- Disability – If the accident left you with a permanent disability, then you may be owed compensation.
- Lost wages – If you sustained an injury in the accident that is now preventing you from working, then you may be able to receive compensation that will cover the amount of money you would have earned otherwise. You could also be entitled to future lost wages.
- Property damage – If your property, perhaps your own boat, was damaged in the accident, then you may deserve compensation to repair or replace said property.
- Pain and suffering – While money may not be able to directly aid you and your family when dealing with the emotional pain and suffering caused by the crash, it may help offer you closure or pay for any expenses.
- Wrongful death – If you lost a loved one in the accident, then you may be entitled to compensation to cover funeral costs and loss of consortium.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a boating accident in Tampa or elsewhere in Florida, then you may deserve financial compensation. By calling us today to book a free case evaluation, you will be ensuring that an experienced Tampa boating accident lawyer will review your claim with no cost or obligation. If you think you deserve compensation, then don’t wait; act today.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How to Avoid a Boating Accident in Tampa, FL
While there is no sure way to guarantee the prevention of any boating accidents, there are a few tips that can help limit the possibility.
- Stay sober.
- Take a course on boating safety.
- Be aware and regularly check the weather forecast.
- Ensure there are enough floatation devices for every passenger on board.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on the boat in easy reach in case of a fire.
- Check your boat in its entirety before heading out to ensure there are no issues with it.
The Law Place
Unfortunately, it seems that boating accidents will always be frequent occurrences in Tampa and Florida as a whole. If you have been in a boating accident that wasn’t your fault, then you may deserve compensation and should act on it immediately. This compensation could vastly help you with the financial repercussions and aftermath of the accident.
To ensure you give yourself the best possible chance of winning your case and receiving the compensation that you deserve, you should contact a personal injury lawyer today. A Tampa attorney would be able to assist you in navigating the legal process in Florida and lift some of the stress from your shoulders.
So, call The Law Place today for a free case evaluation with an esteemed and tenacious personal injury lawyer. Don’t wait for help; call us today to get the justice that you deserve.
Contact us at (941) 444-4444 today.