Tow trucks are usually called to a location to help someone who has been involved in a car accident or is dealing with a broken-down vehicle. Although these trucks are usually at the scene of a car accident to offer assistance, sometimes they can be the cause of an accident themselves.
We know that if you’ve been involved in a tow truck accident, the results can be life-changing. Thankfully, as tow trucks aren’t so common on the roads of Tampa, and tow truck drivers require specific training and licenses, crashes with them are unlikely, but not impossible. However, when they do happen, due to the large size and unique nature of a tow truck, these truck accidents can be far more fatal and devastating than a regular car accident.
If you or a loved one have been in an accident involving a tow truck, then you could be entitled to financial compensation. By contacting The Law Place, you are ensuring that you have the best truck accident lawyer on your side fighting for your case.
With a combined 75 years of experience dealing with Florida law, our law firm has the resources, knowledge, and experience needed to represent you and your case. Call us now on (941) 444-4444 to book your free consultation with an experienced accident attorney.
Tow Truck Accidents in Tampa, FL
Tow trucks must navigate highways and streets of Tampa to help at the scene of a broken-down vehicle or car accident, and when doing so, they may be required to maneuver in tight spaces and at awkward angles.
The process of towing a vehicle comes with its own set of dangers. The drivers that are entrusted with these massive and complicated vehicles must be properly trained and supervised. This is essential in order to ensure the safety of those who rely on them, as well as others on the road.
A tow truck also has unique components that allow it to perform its function of towing other vehicles. If, for instance, the cable that attaches a vehicle to the truck malfunctions or is improperly handled, the vehicle being transported can come loose, causing a serious accident. Or, if a driver fails to properly connect the transported vehicle’s brake lights to the tow truck’s braking system, this leaves others on the road susceptible to sudden stops without warning, which may result in a car accident.
If you have been injured in an accident involving a tow truck, the driver’s employer, insurance companies, or other parties may be at fault and held liable for your injuries. Appointing a law firm that is experienced in these types of claims is essential. At The Law Place, we handle cases of this nature regularly, and a truck accident attorney is ready to help.
Common Types of Tow Trucks in Tampa
There are four most common types of trucks, and each one serves a specified purpose. The most common are listed below:
- Hook and Chain tow truck – This is a type of truck that uses chains with a hook to tow vehicles.
- Wheel-lift tow truck – This is very similar to a hook and chain truck, but they fasten the vehicle from the underneath of it to not damage the car, specifically the paint.
- Flatbed tow truck – This is typically used for cars. It uses a hydraulically powered flatbed to move the broken-down vehicle onto the flatbed.
- Integrated tow truck – These trucks use two different mechanisms and are commonly used to tow small vehicles, usually just cars.
If you have been involved in an accident with a tow truck driver in any of the above, or another type of tow truck, then you need a qualified accident attorney who can help. An accident lawyer from The Law Place can help. We will offer you a free case evaluation and will fight for you to receive compensation and justice for any impacts this truck accident may have had on your life.
Types of Tow Truck Accidents
Much like when driving any vehicle, truck drivers making mistakes can lead to several different types of accidents, and all of these can be severe. The most common collisions include:
- Head-on collisions – This is where the front ends of two vehicles hit each other when traveling in opposite directions.
- Rear-end collisions – This is where a vehicle crashes into the one in front of it.
- T-bone collisions – This is where the front of a vehicle crashes into the side of another.
- Sideswipe collisions – This is where the right side of one vehicle impacts with the left side of the other.
- Underride collisions – This is where a smaller vehicle gets stuck under a larger one.
Any of these types of collisions can cause you serious harm and extensive property damage. If you have been involved in one of these collisions, or similar, then you could be entitled to compensation to cover your medical care and other costs. Call The Law Place today for a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Common Causes of Tow Truck Accidents in Tampa, FL
While there are countless reasons that a tow truck may crash and cause an accident, listed below are some of the most common causes in Tampa:
- Reckless or negligent driving – The power and size of a tow truck means that the vehicle is automatically dangerous to drive, and so if tow truck drivers make a mistake or drive carelessly, they can cause fatal accidents.
- Distracted driving – In today’s world, there are lots of distractions for drivers, in the way of cellphones, radios, and more. If the tow truck driver isn’t paying attention, accidents can easily occur.
- Unsecure vehicle – Should the vehicle that the tow truck is towing becomes unsecured, then serious accidents can happen. This is because the car has no driver to control it, and so it becomes quickly dangerous. It could also potentially cause a chain reaction of crashes.
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI) – If a tow truck driver is driving under the influence, then their reaction times are slowed, and they could make mistakes unwittingly leading to a car accident.
- Unfavorable weather conditions – Rain, snow, sleet, and other similar weather conditions can make driving in any vehicle dangerous, but driving a large and heavy truck in such conditions is even more precarious.
- Poor truck maintenance – Tow trucks in Tampa need to be regularly inspected as any problems with the truck could create a dangerous situation on the roads.
Regardless of the reason why the crash might have occurred, if you have been involved in an accident with a tow truck, then you may deserve compensation. Call The Law Place today for a free consultation and a free case evaluation with an experienced and accomplished Tampa truck accident lawyer.
Common Injuries Caused by Tow Truck Accidents
Any vehicle accident can lead to serious and devastating injuries; however, because of the size of trucks, a truck accident can often lead to more severe, and sometimes even fatal, injuries that require extensive medical care. Below are some of the most common injuries caused by truck accidents in Tampa:
- Whiplash and similar neck injuries.
- Head and brain injuries, such as a concussion.
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Broken bones, fractures, or crushed bones.
- Burns, cuts, lacerations, or bruises.
- Internal bleeding.
- Wrongful death.
In addition to physical injuries that require medical care, tow truck accidents could also cause you and other passengers emotional distress, as well as damage to your vehicle.
If you or a loved one have sustained injuries in a tow truck accident in Tampa, then you may be entitled to financial compensation. Call The Law Place today for a free case evaluation with one of our personal injury lawyers.
Liability in a Tampa Truck Accident Case
Tow trucks, like all other vehicles, require routine maintenance and must be inspected before they can legally drive on the road in Tampa. However, according to the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration (NHSTA), big trucks/semi are involved in about 4,000 accident fatalities and over 100,000 injuries every year in the United States.
Truck accidents can occur due to improperly attached trailers, brake failures, overly worn tires, and improper load distribution. It is not always the truck driver who is at fault in the case of an improperly maintained truck. Several parties have a responsibility to ensure the safety of these vehicles; they include:
- The driver.
- The company that owns the truck.
- The truck manufacturer.
- The truck loader.
- The brake manufacturer.
- The company is responsible for the maintenance of the truck.
When a truck accident occurs, it can be difficult to determine who should be held accountable, but it is important that big trucking companies are held liable for their negligence if they have failed to maintain their vehicles. This needs to happen to improve safety measures and protect drivers from future accidents. An experienced truck accident lawyer from The Law Place will do all the investigative work necessary in your case to get the compensation you deserve from those who were at fault.
Types of Damages
If you have been involved in a tow truck accident in Tampa, then you may be able to claim for damages. At The Law Place, our truck accident lawyers will be able to seek compensation for the following:
- Medical bills – If you have had to seek medical help for injuries sustained in the accident, then you should receive damages to help to cover the cost of any medical expenses.
- Loss of wages – If you lost wages because you couldn’t go to work for a period of time because of the accident, then you deserve compensation.
- Pain and suffering – This covers emotional and mental suffering, as well as a loss of enjoyment in activities you may no longer be able to partake in because of the accident. As these are difficult to prove, it’s important you have an experienced and local injury lawyer fighting for you.
- Damage to property – If your vehicle or any other property you may have was damaged in the accident, then you deserve compensation to pay for any repair bills.
- Wrongful death – If you have lost a loved one because of the accident, then you deserve compensation to cover funeral costs and loss of consortium.
An accident attorney from our injury law firm, The Law Place, will be able to talk you through the damages you are entitled to following a truck accident. The losses sustained in a tow truck accident can often be substantial, and so, you should enlist a personal injury lawyer to help you navigate Florida law and fight your truck accident case.
Contact The Law Place Today
Our law firm is fully equipped to ensure that you have the best chance of receiving the justice you deserve. If you have been in a tow truck accident around in Tampa Fl, then call us today for a free consultation. Don’t wait and risk losing out on your chance at securing justice; phone The Law Place today to fight for your compensation with an experienced and tenacious accident lawyer on your side.
We ready to help you with your truck accident case. Contact us now on (941) 444-4444 to book your free consultation. Our practice areas cover Tampa and the rest of Florida.
We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.