Florida is a state with some of the most avid motorcycle enthusiasts and has one of the highest numbers of registered motorcycle users on its highways. Unfortunately, Florida is also one of the most dangerous places in the United States to be a motorcycle rider and motorcycle accidents happen regularly in Tampa.
When a motorcyclist is involved in a collision, they don’t have the benefit of being surrounded by a steel frame, airbags, or other automobile safety features. Even worse, insurance companies often stereotype bikers as being reckless simply for riding a motorcycle.
There are 600 motorcycle deaths in Florida each year. Of 10,331 motorcycle accidents in 2016, 600 fatalities resulted. Another 8,256 drivers suffered injuries in motorcycle accidents in the same time period, and there is little to protect riders when everything goes wrong.
If you or a loved one have suffered an injury while riding a motorcycle in Tampa, FL, you may need a Tampa motorcycle accident lawyer to represent you. At The Law Place in Florida, we have a wealth of experience in dealing with motorcycle injury cases. Let an experienced attorney from our law firm help you to seek the compensation you deserve. Contact us today on 941-444-4444 for free legal advice.
Common Causes of a Tampa Motorcycle Accident
The most common cause of a Tampa motorcycle accident is straying from the lane of travel or disobeying right of way laws. More fatal motorcycle accidents occur because of a head-on collision than any other cause. That can include a head-on crash on a two-way road or a situation where one vehicle turns in front of the other without having the right of way.
Other common causes of motorcycle accidents in Tampa, Florida include:
- Poor weather conditions. Rain, road work debris, snow, or ice are among the most common.
- Failure to check blind spots.
- Door accidents such as when a driver opens their car door without check for oncoming traffic they can impede a biker’s path of travel.
- Overcompensating the front brake, which is when the front of the motorcycle stops too hard, the rider’s momentum can quickly throw them over their handlebars.
- Lane splitting or white lining, including cutting between slower vehicles across lanes. This is extremely dangerous and often leads to disastrous results.
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI). The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that the vast majority of fatal motorcycle accidents involve at least one driver with a blood alcohol content.
- Road imperfections, potholes, or roadworks.
- Road rage.
As a motorcycle driver in Florida, you have every right to enjoy the road in a safe and carefree manner. This is why you may have the right to compensation if the motorcycle crash is caused by the negligence of somebody else. The damages an attorney could win for you include lost wages and pain and suffering.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Tampa, call 941-444-4444
Florida does not require motorcyclists over the age of 21 to wear helmets, so long as they have $10,000 in medical insurance coverage for crash injuries. Helmets may not protect a motorcyclist from every injury, but the lack of a helmet could leave a rider more susceptible to catastrophic injuries or even death.
Tampa Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Types of Injuries Caused by Motorcycle Accidents in Tampa
A motorcycle accident can occur between two motorcycles, a motorcycle and another vehicle or a motorcycle and a pedestrian, animal, or the motorcyclist alone. Since motorcyclists do not enjoy the extra protection that cars provide, an accident can result in many types of motorcycle injury, including:
- Traumatic brain injury.
- Neck Injury.
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Internal injuries.
- Severe injury to limbs.
Click to contact our Tampa Personal Injury Lawyers today
What Should You Do After Being Involved in a Tampa Motorcycle Accident?
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident in Tampa, FL, here is what we advise you to do at the scene to protect yourself and others from further injury and to give you the best possible chance at a claim later down the line.
- Prioritize your safety and that of everyone involved – First things first, you need to make sure that you are safe. When that is done, you should try and make sure that everyone else involved is safe too. Move away from oncoming traffic, crashed cars, or any other obvious danger.
- Call emergency services – As soon as you have done everything possible to make everyone involved safe, then you call the Florida emergency services. Not only will they ensure everyone is safe, but they will also compile a police report, which will be useful to your motorcycle accident case later.
- Compile evidence- As soon as you are able, take pictures of the crash scene, the vehicles involved, and any damages. You should also get the contact details for any witnesses as well as the details of the other driver. Get their address, name, phone number, insurance company details, etc. It is also a good idea to draw a sketch of how the accident happened. Draw the road and cars and the direction they were traveling.
- Contact a Tampa personal injury lawyer – This is the best time to speak to your attorney. The sooner after the crash, the sooner they can begin to compile evidence on your behalf.
Some other things you should remember:
- Never accept liability at the scene. Apart from making sure people are safe, do not talk about the accident. People may take what you say and twist it for their own needs. Lots of people end up missing out on the compensation they deserve because they apologize on the scene.
- Be careful of what you say to any insurance companies after the accident. Once again, they may try and get you to admit fault and lessen their liability. Speak to an attorney first.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Why You Should File a Florida Motorcycle Accident Personal Injury Claim
If the accident was not your fault, you should not be out of pocket for your damages or medical bills. The average cost for a visit to the trauma center for an injury after a Florida motorcycle accident is around $40,000 dollars.
When the accident isn’t your fault, this is a hefty sum to have to find. By speaking to a reputable Tampa personal injury attorney from our law firm, you can fight for compensation and avoid being left with medical and personal debts.
Injuries from an accident can stay hidden for weeks or even months, if you did not lodge a claim, to begin with, your chances of lodging one later on down the line are drastically reduced, so it is important that you contact us right away!
It is also important that those responsible are held accountable for their actions to help to prevent accidents happening in the future. An attorney from our law firm can give you legal advice and tell you if you have a claim.
What Types of Damages May Be Claimed For?
There is a huge range of variables and different ways that you can claim following a Florida motorcycle accident. Some of the most common forms of damages a lawyer may fight for are:
- Property damages – The most common and obvious form of damages you can claim for is for the cost of replacing or preparing your motorcycle after the accident.
- Medical bills – Medical expenses may quickly add up quickly after a Florida motorcycle accident, and it is unfair that you have to pay them if the accident was due to the negligence of another party. You can claim for any paid medical bills as well as any future medical costs if you can prove that you will need long term medical help.
- Lost wages – If the accident has led to you missing work if you have to take time off work for your injuries and if you are incapable of going back to work, all of this can be claimed for.
- Pain and suffering- If you need financial assistance for any emotional or physical health issues, you can claim damages for these.
- Punitive damages – Punitive damages are awarded for gross misconduct or when someone hurts you purposefully with intent.
- Wrongful death – If someone you loved has been killed by the negligence of another party, you can seek damages for their death.
Is It Necessary to Hire a Florida Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
No, it is not necessary, although it is highly recommended. When you are seeking a large payout from an insurance company, they will do everything within their power to devalue their claim or even refuse it outright. They will have strong, aggressive legal teams who know the intricacies of Florida law. This puts you at an immediate disadvantage.
By hiring a reputable Tampa personal injury lawyer, you instantly level the playing field. Your Florida motorcycle accident lawyer will have dealt with a number of cases just like yours and will know exactly how to handle the insurance companies of both parties.
Your Tampa motorcycle accident attorney will take over the fight for you, allowing you to sit back and focus on your recovery. They will do the paperwork, the negotiation, and will protect your interests.
Research has shown that 90% of cases where motorcycle accident lawyers were hired ended up with a payout, and on average, the payouts are 60% more than those who seek compensation on their own, although this also depends heavily on the case at hand.
I Was Partly at Fault. Can I Still Claim?
In some motorcycle crash cases, a driver will blame the motorcyclist for causing the accident. This should not deter you from filing a claim against the driver. Florida follows a pure comparative negligence standard in personal injury suits. This means that you can recover damages even if you are partly to blame for your injuries. The amount of damages you can recover will be reduced in proportion to your percentage of fault.
Contact an Attorney at The Law Place Today!
Making sure that you have a motorcycle accident attorney on your side straight away could be the deciding factor in whether or not you receive compensation as the result of a Tampa motorcycle accident that isn’t your fault.
Here at The Law Place, we have over 75 years of combined experience in dealing with cases just like yours. We aren’t afraid to stand toe to toe with an insurance company, and we won’t back down, we will help you seek the compensation you rightfully deserve.
If you are thinking about having an emergency motorcycle accident lawyers number in your phonebook, make sure it’s ours.
Call us on 941-444-4444 today. We are contactable 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and offer a free consultation with an attorney with no strings attached.
Call or text 941-444-4444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form