One of the most common accidents that occur in Fort Myers is unsafe lane changes. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles states that over 13,000 car accidents in Florida were the result of unsafe lane changes. As with all car accidents, there are consequences, resulting in acute injuries, which can sometimes lead to death.
An unsafe lane change happens when a driver moves from one lane to another without making the correct checks. This ends up with them crashing into another car that is in the same lane. The below lists some examples of unsafe lane changes:
- When a driver doesn’t use their indicators before making a maneuver.
- When two cars move into the middle lane at the same time.
- When a driver doesn’t use their mirrors correctly to check their blind spot.
- When a driver is at an intersection and goes to maneuver as another vehicle is passing.
- When a driver leaves a parking space and does not check for oncoming traffic before moving into a lane, resulting in a collision with an oncoming vehicle.
- When a driver recklessly moves onto the highway and collides into the side of another vehicle.
No matter the details surrounding an accident, if an unsafe lane change maneuver has been made, it can potentially result in an accident, in turn leaving the victim with acute injuries. If you have been involved in an accident where a vehicle made an improper or unsafe turn, leading you to collide, then you may be eligible to make a claim. A Fort Myers lawyer will be able to aid you in this, ensuring that the other driver is held accountable for their recklessness.
With over 75 years of experience in handling law cases in Florida, such as accidents caused by improper lane changes, the lawyers at The Law Place have the expertise required to help you. If you are uncertain whether you have a valid claim, please do not hesitate to contact us, as you will be able to book a free consultation to determine whether you are eligible to make a claim and, in turn, receive compensation. In order to receive the support and advice you require, do not hesitate to call us today on (941) 444-4444.
The Florida Comparative Fault Law
Florida is a comparative fault state, which abides by Florida Statute 768.81. This means that, depending on the outcome from the facts of the accident, both persons involved in the accident could be deemed at fault. Meaning that even if one of the drivers made an unsafe lane change that led to the collision and this is the main cause of the accident, depending on the situation, the other person may also be partially to blame, in turn resulting in them being assigned a percentage of the blame.
This statute can be very difficult to understand and deal with when working on your own when filing a lawsuit, and this is one of the many reasons why it’s a good idea to enlist a lawyer to work with. The Florida Statute is complicated. This is why we advise contacting a lawyer to help you make sense of it. If you feel like you have a valid claim, an accident lawyer at The Law Place will be able to guide you in order to receive the best outcome and compensation you deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a unsafe lane changes accidents lawyer serving Fort Myers, call 941-444-4444
Reasons Behind a Driver Making an Unsafe Lane Change in Fort Myers
Reckless driving tends to be the main cause of drivers making unsafe lane changes. However, there are various reasons as to why they may occur. Listed below are some examples of the most common reasons:
- Driver’s poor judgment – A driver may think it is safe to change lane, but the oncoming vehicle could be traveling at a higher speed than anticipated, resulting in a collision.
- Reckless driving – Examples of reckless driving are cutting someone up or speeding to overtake. The most common causes of this tend to be from road rage, frustration, and/or being overconfident in your driving ability.
- Preoccupied driving – If a driver is preoccupied with something else whilst driving, such as a mobile phone, satnav, radio, eating, drinking, smoking, or even talking to another passenger present in the car. Any of these examples can cause the driver to be distracted, meaning they may not notice the other vehicle, resulting in an accident.
- Driving under the influence – Some drivers will still choose drive while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, even though it is illegal to do so. If you are driving under the influence of a substance, it will reduce your ability to make comprehensive decisions, and your reaction time will be reduced.
- Poor visibility – If a driver fails to turn on their headlights at night, they will have poor visibility. This can also be affected by adverse weather conditions. This will reduce the driver’s ability to see other vehicles on the road.
- Erratic driving – A driver that doesn’t keep a constant speed, and may suddenly speed up or slow down, can be unpredictable. This type of erratic driving will make it difficult for other drivers on the road to predict what maneuver they are going to make.
No matter the reason behind the cause of the accident, there will be physical and/or mental repercussions. No matter who is at fault, you may be entitled to financial compensation, especially if your injuries are going to have a long-term effect, resulting in you needing to adjust your lifestyle.
You might be entitled to make a claim and seek justice if the accident was out of your control. If you wish to seek justice, then contact The Law Place, as we have personal injury lawyers with many years’ experience that can help you. With their expertise and know-how, our lawyers will be able to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
We understand that no amount of money can undo the consequences you are suffering from the accident, but hopefully, they will appease them by helping you move forward. Phone The Law Place today, and we will offer you a free consultation. This will aid you in making a decision on how to proceed. If you wish to seek our counsel, you will not be alone in facing insurance companies, which can be daunting.
Fort Myers Unsafe Lane Changes Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Injuries That Are Commonly Sustained from Unsafe Lane Change Car Accidents in Fort Myers, FL
Any type of car accidents can lead to acute injuries; the injuries can be mild to severe. Below is an example of potential injuries that are a result of a car accident:
- Paralysis caused by a spinal or back injury
- Whiplash, leading to neck pain and discomfort
- Trauma to the head
- Internal injuries that can lead to either organ failure or internal bleeding
- Loss of a limb
- Open fractures, fractures, and/or broken bones
- Strains and ligament tears
- Most severe case; death
On some occasions, the victim may not endure physical injury from an accident but instead suffer mental trauma, leaving them emotionally unstable.
It is vital to seek immediate counsel from a lawyer if you have suffered or are suffering from an accident. Whether your injury is listed above or not, we will be able to help you in seeking the compensation you are entitled to for your pain and suffering. Do not hesitate to phone us and schedule a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Click to contact our Fort Myers Car Accident Lawyers today
Damages That Are Commonly Awarded to Victims of Car Accidents in Fort Myers
Any type of car accident can change your life. This is why we believe that you deserve justice and compensation. The Law Place can help you in recovering compensation for any of the below examples:
- Medical invoices – If you sustained serious injuries in a car accident that led to you receiving medical attention, then you may be able to claim compensation to cover the medical expenses. This is inclusive of past and present medical invoices, as well as any invoices you know you will incur in the future to cover ongoing treatments. This compensation could also cover any related expenses, such as transport to and from appointments, surgery, and any ongoing treatment such as physiotherapy or repeat medication that has been prescribed.
- Pain and suffering – Not all injuries may be visible. They can also be internal or emotional, leaving you feeling alone and in distress. Some injuries may also have a long-term effect, leaving you unable to enjoy activities you once did, in turn reducing your quality of life.
- Loss of wages – You may be entitled to compensation if the injuries you acquired in the accident were severe enough that you were unable to attend work for a period of time, and in turn, lost wages. This can also be inclusive of any future lost wages if you are no longer able to work.
- Property damage – Most car accidents will also cause damage to your vehicle; you may be entitled to compensation to cover any invoices for repairs on your car.
- Bereavement – If you lost a loved one in a car accident, then you should get compensation to cover any funeral costs, loss of their income, and loss of council.
If in the past four years you and or a loved one has suffered from a car accident, then you are entitled to file a claim for compensation. However, we highly advise that you seek legal advice while the trauma is still fresh, as access to clear evidence will support your case, giving you a higher chance of receiving the compensation you deserve. Our law firm will collate the evidence to support your case, and an accident lawyer will be assigned you, giving you time to recuperate from the car accident.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How To Avoid Lane Change Accidents in Fort Myers
If you make the reckless decision to make an unsafe lane change, this could cause a car accident, with the potential of causing serious harm that may be fatal. Due to this, it is vital to learn how to make a safe maneuverer in order to prevent accidents. Listed below are some pointers on how to make safe maneuvers and reduce the risk of causing an accident:
- Check mirrors and blind spots – Before you attempt to make a lane change, you need to ensure that you have checked your mirrors, most importantly your blind spots, before you merge. This will help you in your decision-making process to ensure you carry out a safe maneuver. This is probably the most important check you can make!
- Pass on the left – If you need to overtake a vehicle, you should always ensure it is safe to do so and always try to pass on the left of the vehicle of which you wish to overtake. Once you have overtaken the vehicle, make sure to check your rear-view mirror to ensure there is a safe distance between you and the other car. If you are overtaking a larger vehicle such as a lorry, you will need to ensure there is sufficient distance between you.
- Speed – It is important to maintain a constant speed. Unpredictable speeding is dangerous and reduces your reaction time if there are any unexpected changes to the speed limit or dangers from other vehicles on the road.
- Avoid stopping – Unless it’s unavoidable, do not come to a stop on the highway.
- Move into empty lanes – Along with the tips stated above, only move into empty lanes when you have carried out all checks, ensuring it is safe to change lane.
The above tips are common sense and are essential to carry out in order to prevent car accidents. Unfortunately, not everyone abides by them, and there will always be reckless drivers on the road.
Call The Law Place
You may deserve to receive compensation if you or a loved one has suffered from an accident from an unsafe lane change in Fort Myers. If you have been a victim of a reckless driver, then contact The Law Place today, where a personal accident injury lawyer will help you determine whether you have a valid case.
Contact us now on (941) 444-4444.
Call or text 941-444-4444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form