Fort Myers boasts some of the best beaches and island getaways in Southwest Florida. In fact, many of it’s more lauded locations are only accessible by boating. Tourists flock from all over America and the world to Florida, often to take part in boating activities.
Unfortunately, this means that Fort Myers, FL, carries an increased chance of boating accident related risks. There are many ways in which a simple boat trip can be marred by dangerous accidents. As well as the risk of drowning, boats can be dangerous machines themselves if improperly maintained or driven dangerously. It is all too common for an injury to occur due to a tourist operating a boat while intoxicated.
Florida has the unfortunate accolade of playing host to the highest number of boating accidents in the United States, according to the Coast Guard Report. Boating accidents in Fort Myers, FL, have led to countless cases of injury and have even led to tragic losses of life. As such, The Law Place in Fort Myers has much experience in dealing with personal injury cases relating to boating accidents.
Our law firm understands the serious nature of boating accidents, and our boating accident lawyers are available to help you with your personal injury case in Fort Myers, FL. There are many possible negative results from a boat accident, be it physical injury, emotional distress, or even loss of life. The personal injury lawyers at our law firm have over 75 years of combined experience working on accident cases and can provide you with the best opportunity to recover the maximum amount of compensation you deserve.
If you’ve been involved in a boating accident in Fort Myers, FL, in the last four years, get in touch with our experienced injury lawyers today. The Law Place offers a no-obligation free consultation over the telephone, around the clock. Our lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to deal with your Fort Myers boating accident claims. Don’t delay. We highly recommend you contact us for a free consultation as soon as possible on (941) 444-4444 today.
What Are Some Common Causes of Boating Accidents in Fort Myers, FL?
Much like the rules of the road being governed by specific laws, there are also admiral and maritime laws that dictate the bounds of legal conduct while driving a boat. These laws are in place to protect boaters and swimmers from any potential hazards. However, a boat accident may often occur because people do not take these laws as seriously as their land counterparts. Often, the knowledge of maritime and admiral laws is more obscure or disregarded, leading to negligence, which can result in accidents.
Common examples of situations which lead to boating accidents in Fort Myers, Florida, are:
- Speeding – Boat and jet skiers always have a duty of care to maintain a safe speed. A speeding water vehicle is much more likely to suffer from a crashing accident or lose control. Speeding boats also pose a significant injury risk to other people swimming in the body of water.
- Intoxication – The use of drugs and/or alcohol while piloting a boat is unfortunately common in Fort Myers, Florida. Often tourists get carried away with their holidays and forget that there are intoxication laws in place on the water to prevent a boat accident. Florida Statute 327.35 states it is illegal to operate a vessel while under the influence of anything which may impair judgment or reaction speed, such as alcohol, drugs, or prescription medication.
- Lack of experience – In reality, it is difficult to operate and control a boat in a skilled and safe manner. Unfortunately, it is also the case that many people, especially tourists, attempt this without any training. Inexperienced drivers are much more likely to cause a boat accident.
- Poor weather – It is often the case that a boating accident is caused by poor weather conditions. On the water, a vehicle is much more vulnerable to high-speed winds and heavy rain. Additionally, the water itself becomes more dangerous in adverse conditions. If the driver of a boat elects to go out on the water in dangerous conditions, they are putting themselves and their passengers in a dangerous situation.
- Negligence – Boat operators have a duty of care to keep those on their vessel safe. If they breach this duty, they can be found to be negligent by a personal injury lawyer. Common examples of negligence in a boating accident would include reckless or excessive speed while driving or overloading a vessel.
This is only a limited list of examples which could cause a boating accident in Fort Myers, Florida. There are many other potentially complex situations possible. If you have been involved in any form of a boating accident, contact a personal injury lawyer at our law firm today to find out if you could deserve compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a boating accidents lawyer serving Fort Myers, call 941-444-4444
What Are Some Common Types of Boating Accidents in Fort Myers, FL?
There are a number of different types of boating accidents that could occur in Fort Myers, Florida.
The most common examples of boating accidents are as follows:
- Falling overboard – There are many ways in which falling overboard can lead to a serious accident and injury. Impact with the water may cause injury before the risk of drowning is even considered. People may be caught in currents or even come into contact with dangerous parts of the boat’s outboard motor.
- Drowning – Whenever going boating, there will always be a drowning risk present, especially if someone ends up in the water unexpectedly. It is important that anyone who cannot swim is equipped with a life jacket or other flotation device, and it is highly recommended that boating be reconsidered if weather or water conditions are particularly adverse. Even the strongest of swimmers can drown in the wrong conditions.
- Propeller injury – The propellers attached to the outboard motors of many boats carry the possibility of severe accidents and injury. These blades spin rapidly and are extremely sharp. It is not uncommon for a propeller injury to result in serious injuries such as dismemberment or even death. Propeller injuries also pose a risk to other swimmers in the body of water.
- Equipment related accidents – There is lots of equipment present on boats that can cause an injury, especially if members of the boating crew have not been trained properly in its use, which is often the case. Poorly maintained equipment also increases the chance of these types of accidents.
- Slips and falls – As they are almost constantly around water, the surfaces of boats are often slippery. This may lead to slip and fall accidents, which can quickly turn into an overboard situation or worse. The risk is increased when the crew or boat owner leaves surfaces poorly maintained.
Fort Myers Boating Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
What Are Some Common Injuries From Boating Accidents in Fort Myers, FL?
There are many different injuries that could be sustained from a boating accident in Fort Myers, Florida.
Below is a list of the most common examples:
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Broken bones, fracture,s, and spinal injuries
- Dismemberment or amputation
- Head trauma, including brain damage
- Emotional distress, including PTSD
- Loss of life resulting in a wrongful death
What Damages Can I Claim Following a Boating Accident in Fort Myers, Florida?
Boating accidents have the potential to leave their victims with injuries that could impact the rest of their lives. Even if the victim receives simple physical injuries, these can lead to financial complications, thanks to medical bills and time spent off work.
With an experienced personal injury lawyer from our law firm, there are many different types of damages that could increase your level of compensation. Our personal injury lawyers will explore all possible avenues to maximize your payout. Common examples of damages awarded following a personal injury in a boating accident are as follows:
- Compensation for medical bills.
- Compensation for wages lost during time off work for the recovery process.
- Compensation for property damaged in the accident.
- Compensation for pain and suffering from your personal injury, including emotional distress, lifestyle complications, and a consideration of the duration and pain level of your healing process.
- Compensation for a wrongful death, which includes consideration for the lost wages of your family member, emotional distress, and changes in the family dynamic, among other things.
If you have been involved in a boating accident in Florida, the best way to assess which damages you could be owed is to get a free consultation from The Law Place. Our telephone lines in Florida are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your convenience. Find out what your best next legal step is for free today.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Steps Can I Take to Avoid a Boating Accident in Fort Myers, Florida?
While it is helpful to know that the personal injury lawyers at our law firm can help you to access the compensation you deserve following a boating accident, it is even better to avoid this sort of mishap entirely.
While it is impossible to carry out any activity in an entirely risk-free way, we highly recommend the following advice to minimize your chances of being involved in a boating accident in Florida:
- Avoid intoxicants
- Stay aware and mindful of weather conditions
- Receive training on boat safety
- Ensure safety equipment such as flotation devices and fire extinguishers are on board
- Ensure the boat and equipment are well maintained.
Contact The Law Place in Fort Myers, Florida Today
However beautiful the beaches and water are in Southwest Florida, it is important to remember that Florida also has the highest number of boating accidents in the United States.
If you have been involved in a boating accident in the last four years, get in touch with our law firm today. At The Law Place, our team has over 75 years of combined experience. Unlike other firms, we operate all of our cases as a team. This means that you benefit from the knowledge and experience of each personal injury lawyer under our employment.
We also offer a no-obligation free consultation and a no-win-no-fee payment model. You will not pay a cent until your settlement is complete and will not be charged if, for some reason, your case is unsuccessful. The process of getting the compensation you deserve has never been less risky.
If you have been involved in a boating accident in Florida, call us today for a free consultation. Our Florida phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to provide free legal advice on what your next move should be. Don’t hesitate, get in contact with us today on (941) 444-4444.