One of the most common examples of a situation that leads to car accidents in Fort Myers, FL, is negligent driving. Negligent driving covers a wide range of situations, but improper lane changes make up a large percentage of these incidents. In 2017, over 13,000 accidents involving cars were the result of lane changes alone, according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
An improper lane change In Fort Myers is defined as a situation where a driver attempts to change from one traffic lane to another but instead collides with a car. This is usually because they failed to properly check whether or not they were safe to change lanes. However, this situation can also be caused by incorrect signaling procedures.
Causes aside, car accidents such as these can have serious consequences in Fort Myers. Statistics show a wide range of injuries, ranging from simple abrasions to permanent disfigurement or even the possibility of fatalities. Car accidents of this nature also have the possibility to cause multiple vehicle car accidents due to individuals swerving in reaction to an oncoming car.
If you have been involved in an accident such as this in the last four years and incurred injuries. As a result, you could be entitled to compensation. Selecting the right law firm to represent you in a personal injury case is very important. Therefore, The Law Place is proud to boast 75 years of combined experience dealing with Fort Myers car accidents and other personal injury claims. We operate a no-win-no-fee payment model to ensure that you do not have to take a financial risk when seeking compensation for your Fort Myers car accident. We also provide a free consultation over the telephone, fully protected by the attorney-client relationship. Our lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Don’t hesitate, call today on (941) 444-4444.
Common Causes of Improper Lane Changes Leading to Fort Myers Car Accidents
While the nature of a lane change accident is often the same, there are a variety of different reasons which can lead to this situation.
The most common reasons for a Fort Myers car accident of this kind are:
- Distracted drivers – Drivers who are distracted are much more likely to make negligent maneuvers. While mobile phones are most notorious for causing this kind of behavior, anything from a simple snack behind the wheel to an engaging conversation with a passenger can lead to distracted driving.
- Intoxicated driving – Drivers who are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol are much more likely to make mistakes whilst driving, due to decreased reaction times. These substances also often encourage other types of reckless and negligent driving, such as speeding.
- Low visibility situations – Driving at night, or in poor weather conditions, greatly increases the chances of lane related accidents. These situations can be made worse by drivers using their headlights incorrectly.
- Fatigue – Driving whilst tired increases the risk of many different types of accidents. A driver may be groggy and distracted or falling asleep behind the wheel, causing them to drift between lanes. These situations can cause an accident, which can lead to serious injuries.
- Misjudgment – A car driver may misjudge a number of elements when changing lanes. They may misjudge the speed or size of a vehicle resulting in a collision accident.
- Reckless driving – There are many situations where a reckless driving may amount to negligence. Aggressive driving or speeding are just some examples of this. Speeding is a particularly common cause, as erratic changes in speed make it incredibly hard to make the necessary predictions needed to change lanes safely.
If you have suffered from an accident due to incorrect lane changes in Fort Myers in the last four years, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
Many situations do not fit cleanly into one of the above boxes. You may have sustained injuries in a car accident where there was no single, clearly at-fault party. However, in these situations, a personal injury attorney from our law firm may still be able to achieve compensation on your behalf. This is especially true for situations that cause lifelong injuries or complications.
If you suffered in a Fort Myers car accident which was not your fault, the best course of action is to get in touch with a lawyer from The Law Place as soon as possible. Our impartial legal advice will allow you to pick the best legal path for your individual situation.
For a free legal consultation with a improper lane changes accidents lawyer serving Fort Myers, call 941-444-4444
Specific Examples of Situations Leading to Incorrect Lane Changes in Fort Myers Car Accidents
It is important to have knowledge of the most common causes of lane switching accidents, as they are so common and can lead to serious injuries.
The following is a list of the most common ways in which drivers change lanes in a dangerous manner:
- Failure to signal before a change of lane or a turn.
- The simultaneous merging of two vehicles, where both parties fail to realize the other is performing a similar maneuver.
- Failure to check a blind spot.
- Turning at a junction while another vehicle is attempting to pass.
- Moving out of parking space but failing to check for oncoming traffic.
- Merging onto a highway in a dangerous manner, leading to a sideswiping accident.
Whatever the circumstances that led to your car accident, the best course of action is to contact a Fort Myers personal injury lawyer as soon after your accident as possible. This will allow you the best chance of acting in time to maximize your compensation.
Injuries Commonly Sustained in a Fort Myers Car Accident
As with any car accident, there is a large range of possible injuries. These range in severity from minor abrasions to injuries, which can lead to lifelong impairments or even, in extreme cases, death.
The most common injuries sustained in Fort Myers car accidents include:
- Head injury, including brain damage, which can lead to permanent difficulties with motor, emotional and psychological functions.
- Damage to the back, which includes spinal damage, potentially leading to paralysis.
- Damage to the internal organs/internal bleeding.
- Permanent disfigurement or dismemberment.
- Broken bones. These may be simple to fix. However, complex fractures can lead to lifelong difficulties.
- Lacerations and abrasions.
- Wrongful death.
Unfortunately, the repercussions of a car accident are not simply limited to physical damage. Many victims of a car accident may suffer from emotional distress or anxiety for a long time after their accident. It may be the case that you are unable to drive on the road again due to residual anxiety, and this could have a great impact on your life. It is also possible that accident-related PTSD can disrupt all parts of your life.
If you have experienced any level of injury from a car accident, get in touch with an experienced attorney in Fort Myers as soon as possible. An attorney from The Law Place will talk you through the correct protocols to ensure that any injury is properly documented so that the maximum level of compensation can be pursued as painlessly as possible.
Fort Myers Improper Lane Changes Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
How to Avoid Lane-Related Accidents in Fort Myers
While it is good to know that you are in safe hands with the appropriate law firm, should you be involved in an accident, it is preferable to avoid such an accident entirely.
The following is a list of advice for minimizing your chances of having an accident in a Fort Myers lane:
- Monitor your speed to adjust to the flow of traffic around your vehicle. This will allow you additional time to react to any unexpected changes.
- Avoid stopping on a busy highway, with the exception of when there is absolutely no other choice available.
- Utilize empty lanes to prioritize moving into one which is empty or does not contain much traffic.
- Pass other vehicles on the left only. Ensure that you return to your original lane once the vehicle is visible in your rear-view mirror. As a general rule of thumb, the larger the vehicle, the greater the distance needed to ensure you pass it safely.
- Always check mirrors and blind spots before attempting any maneuver to ensure there are no other cars attempting a similar move or any other unforeseen dangers present.
Obviously, there is no way to reduce your risk of a car accident in Fort Myers to absolute zero. However, with a combination of this advice and access to a professional attorney, you are as prepared and protected from unforeseen circumstances as is possible.
Click to contact our Fort Myers Car Accident Lawyers today
Damages Commonly Awarded Following a Fort Myers Car Accident
Following a car accident, there are different types of damages that can be recovered by your attorney, reliant on the details of your accident. Depending on your case, you may qualify for several of these types of damages.
Damages commonly awarded after a Fort Myers car accident include:
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
The best way to find out which damages your attorney could help you to win is to contact us. The Law Place will provide a free consultation and explain your potential compensation as well as what steps would need to be taken by your lawyer in order to achieve it.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Comparative Fault Law in Florida
Florida Statute 768.81 sets forth the comparative fault laws in the state of Florida.
These laws mean that any party involved in your accident can be assigned a portion of the liability, as a percentage. This allows consideration for situations wherein one party may have made an incorrect maneuver but did so because of the negligent driving of another party. This comparative fault process also applies to the victim of the accident.
This is one of the many complexities of Florida law, for which it can be incredibly helpful to have the assistance of an attorney from a reputable law firm. If you choose a lawyer from The Law Place, you will be benefiting from the knowledge, skills, and experience of a team boasting over 75 years of combined experience. Allow us to handle the headaches of Florida law while you focus on your recovery.
Contact The Law Place in Fort Myers Today
If you have been involved in a car accident in the past four years, you could be entitled to compensation for any injury and the impact it may have had on your life. If this is the case, contact a lawyer from The Law Place today.
Each day that passes after your accident without you seeking representation by a reputable lawyer is a day where you risk evidence essential to maximizing your claim becoming lost. It also gives the legal teams of other parties time to get a head start, which could prove to be bad news thanks to Florida’s comparative fault laws.
We understand that when it comes to legal representation, you are often spoiled for choice. This is why The Law Place offers free, no-obligation consultations. Our telephone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so that we can work around your busy schedule. Thanks to our no-win-no-fee payment model, you will not have to worry about any expenses until your case is settled. All lawyer fees will only be subtracted from the compensation you are awarded. This also means that if, for some reason, your case should be unsuccessful, the entire process will not cost you a single cent. We believe recovering the compensation you deserve should never involve risk.
Don’t hesitate when pursuing the justice and financial compensation that you deserve following a traumatic road accident. Call The Law Place today for a free consultation on (941) 444-4444.
Call or text 941-444-4444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form