Traffic signals are used globally so that multiple people on the road have one set of rules to follow in an attempt to promote road safety. It is almost like an agreed-upon language used on the road by motorists, pedestrians, and even cyclists. Stopping at a red light, for example, gives people on the opposite side of the road a chance to cross or move. Obeying the rules ensures fewer accidents occur. Following road safety and traffic rules are compulsory, not an option, and looking at it as such can lead to unnecessary and avoidable car accidents.
In Fort Myers, FL, many car accidents occur due to driver negligence when following or disobeying road rules. Florida Statute 768.81 can be helpful when trying to determine negligence on the road. Additionally, if you or a loved one were in an auto accident or car accident, you will need the services of an accident attorney to assist you in developing a case.
Our qualified and helpful Fort Myers personal injury lawyers are available for a free consultation to help with figuring out all you might need and should know. At The Law Place, we can advise if you require the services of an injury or personal injury lawyer if you have been in a car accident. Being in any sort of car accident is scary enough. We are happy to assist you by taking some of the stress away.
Please phone us on (941) 444-4444 to see how we can assist you.
The Right of Way Law and Failure to Yield in Florida
Florida Statute 316.123 outlines which rules for which motorists or vehicle operators have “right of way” under certain conditions and who should proceed, yield or stop within them. For example, a car going through a green light would have the right of way, similarly with any vehicles that reach a four-way stop first, unless two cars get there at the same time, at which point, the car on the left yields to the one on the right. At a normal stop sign, you would give right of way to all other traffic and pedestrians, and only continue when the road is clear. If you are in a situation where you are coming up on the left-hand side of the road into a turning lane, then you should yield to the cars diving in the oncoming lane in the opposite direction. These are just some driving rules that help us avoid being in a car accident.
To prevent an accident, understanding and knowing when to use which rules on the road is crucial. Studying and attending a driving school is mandatory to obtain a license. What is learned there should be applied at all times when driving in Florida and elsewhere in the world to avoid accidents and create a safe road experience for everyone. If you do not have a valid driver’s license, you will be penalized under Florida Statute 322.03.
Failure to yield or understanding who has right of way in which context can lead to dangerous accidents resulting in people suffering injury or injuries. If this is the case, you will need an accident attorney to represent you, and if you are in this position, you should contact us at The Law Place in Fort Myers today.
For a free legal consultation with a failure to obey traffic signals accidents lawyer serving Fort Myers, call 941-444-4444
Instances Where Drivers Fail to Obey Traffic Signals in Fort Myers, Florida
Failing to follow the rules of the road in Fort Myers is sadly a common occurrence and is considered unnecessarily reckless. Some of the ways people disobey these rules, which often lead to accidents, are as follows:
- Jumping red lights or driving through stop sign intersections.
- Causing a hindrance at an intersection.
- Consciously ignoring road signs, road markings, and traffic rules.
- Purposefully slipping out of your lane and infringing on the sidewalk or other lanes.
- Speeding, tailgating, or driving too slowly.
- Not using turn signals.
- Passing in an unsafe manner.
- Illegal U-turns.
If you were involved in an auto accident or car accident where one or more of the above violations were in play by another driver, you may have cause to open a case and claim compensation. Feel free to phone our Fort Myers offices for a free initial case assessment so we can determine the rightful course of action. You may need a lawyer to represent you, especially in the case of personal injury, multiple injuries, or general injury sustained as a result.
Fort Myers Failure to Obey Traffic Signals Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Reasons That Lead Drivers to Ignore Traffic Signs and Signals in Florida
There are many things that could occur on the road and result in an accident. Some of these are the drivers’ choices or actions when driving. Some of these instances include:
- Distraction – Any kind of distraction leading the driver to take their eyes off their road. This could include looking at a phone, looking at something next too or behind them or at another person in the car, or something in the external environment. In a nutshell, anything taking the driver’s attention off the road and subsequently adding to the likelihood of the driver missing a road signal or sign, resulting in a car accident.
- Frustration – A frustrated driver can purposefully or absent-mindedly miss certain traffic signs or signals as their mind might be focused on something else, even though they are operating a vehicle.
- Intoxication – Someone driving while intoxicated is not only illegal in Florida, but it is also extremely dangerous. When under the influence, inhibitions are lowered, responses are delayed, and you can easily miss traffic signals and signs, to name a few dangers. As Florida Statute 775.083 states, a driver found guilty of driving while inebriated will be punished accordingly.
- Breaking rules – Purposefully breaking the rules due to finding them redundant for themselves or others. This is a blatant refusal of following a certain sign that is in place.
- Thoughtless or reckless driving – Thinking they will never be caught or if they are, there will be little to no consequence.
Anyone with a valid driver’s license in Florida is expected to follow all of the road rules and regulations regardless of if they think they are necessary or not. It is a serious offense to knowingly commit crimes, especially if it could lead to a car accident, personal injury, or any other injuries. If you feel that you or someone you know has been a victim of such an occurrence, please phone The Law Place to discuss your next steps as you might require the services of an accident lawyer.
Click to contact our Fort Myers Car Accident Lawyers today
Types of Accidents as a Result of Ignoring Traffic Signals in Florida
Unfortunately, there are thousands of car accidents taking place all over the world on a daily basis, all different in nature, severity, and cause. Typically, these are the most commonly described accidents:
- Vehicle accidents involving pedestrians – If a driver fails to stop at a yield sign, red light, or crossing where a pedestrian is legally allowed to be walking. Drivers who are speeding in this type of situation are generally at a greater disposition to severely striking a pedestrian which could result in multiple injuries or greater personal injury to the pedestrian.
- Head-on collision – When the fronts of two independent vehicles crash into each other. This usually happens when a vehicle occupies the path of another vehicle. These types of accidents usually result in poor outcomes for those involved, either with significant injuries or even death.
- Intersection collision – Usually because of negligent driving, especially drivers who ignore traffic signals. As they take place at intersections, usually busy places on the road, it usually involves multiple cars and, in some cases, pile-ups.
Experiencing one of these types of accidents or any other, for that matter, can be extremely traumatic with terrible consequences. If you think this could be the case for you or someone you know, The Law Place can help, simply phone us so we can make an evaluation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Types of Injuries Sustained Due to Failure to Obey Traffic Signals in Florida
Any accident can cause severe damage to the people involved, sometimes with long term or permanent consequences. Types of injuries that may occur due to a car accident include:
- Any injury to the spinal region.
- Any injury to the neck area.
- Significant head or brain trauma.
- Internal bleeding or damage to organs.
- Disfigurement of any kind.
- Injuries to the bones such as broken limbs.
- Any sort of cut, scratch, stitch, bruising, and so forth.
- Wrongful death of people involved.
If you have been in a car accident, please seek proper legal advice and representation.
How to Go About Seeking Compensation After a Car Accident in Florida
If you or someone you know has been in a car accident or any other road accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Seeking the advice of an accident attorney is a worthwhile option to explore, especially if the accident left you with life-changing consequences. Here is a list of the most common things you may be eligible to claim for:
- Expenses incurred due to medical bills – Having suffered any personal injury, you may be able to claim these expenses back after your car accident.
- Damage to your property – If your vehicle was damaged due to the accident, you may be able to claim back the costs to repair it.
- Loss to your income – If you were unable to attend work due to having been in an accident, you could be reimbursed for the days missed and lost income.
- Pain and suffering associated with being in a traumatic accident – You may need a lawyer to argue this for you as not all injuries can be quantified in the same way.
- Wrongful death – Loss of a loved one due to having been in a car accident can leave you in a position to fight for a wrongful death claim or, at the very least, compensation to cover the funeral and other related costs.
If you have suffered any of these due to having been in a car accident, The Law Place will be happy to assist you with receiving what is rightfully yours.
Why Should You Contact a Fort Myers Lawyer?
It is stressful enough, having been through the ordeal of an accident. Our legal team and group of lawyers can take away some of the stress by working your case for you and getting you the help you deserve. It is important to act swiftly to obtain all the necessary paperwork in order to begin compiling evidence and relevant information. Our team will be able to assess your case.
If you have been injured, your focus should be on recovering and/ or adjusting rather than worrying about complex legal matters. The Law Place will gladly take this off your plate and do all the necessary work for you to ensure your case is handled with care, compassion, and competence. We only take our fees when your final payout has been finalized, so you do not have to worry about paying us upfront. Allowing us to represent you means you have a better chance of putting this part of the case behind you and moving on from the ordeal of the car accident.
The Law Place at Fort Myers
If you have sadly suffered due to any sort of car accident and are subsequently dealing with a personal injury, The Law Place is able to assist in getting your life back on track as much as possible. We take care to collect all the information and build a strong case on your behalf. With decades of combined experience and a passion for what we do, you can have peace of mind knowing your case is in good hands with a team of lawyers who care about getting you the compensation you deserve after your car accident.
Contact us today on (941) 444-4444 for a free, no-obligation consultation. We can discuss your requirements, concerns, and specific details.
Call or text 941-444-4444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form