For most commercial truck drivers, their job requires them to spend entire days behind the wheel of their trucks as they will be most likely driving for more than ten hours straight. As a long-haul driver, this could rise to up to 11 hours a day for several days in a row. As a result, some drivers may be fatigued, which could rapidly increase the chance of a truck accident occurring.
Trucks are a lot larger compared to average cars, this means when an accident occurs, it is more dangerous, and poses a higher risk of severe injuries or even death.
Here at The Law Place, we understand how devastating the results of a car or truck accident can be. This is why we are here to help you in any way we can to get you the compensation and justice you deserve.
Our team here at The Law Place has over 75 years of combined experience when dealing with cases just like yours. We pride ourselves on our attorney-client relationship. That is why you can trust that our team of Port Charlotte truck accident lawyers will do their utmost to secure a good outcome for your case. In addition, our law firm offers client a free consultation where we will provide you with honest and valuable legal advice regarding your unique and individual case.
So, call us today at (941) 444-4444 to schedule your free consultation.
Why Are Port Charlotte Drivers Fatigued Whilst Driving?
When a truck driver is driving, there are many reasons why they may be fatigued. Some of the reasons are more common than others. These may include:
- Employer pressure – Employers tend to urge truck drivers to try and make their deliveries on time, if not earlier. This means the truck drivers may be more hesitant to stop to take a break in case they might not be paid.
- Shortage of truck drivers – Across the country, there is a lack of truck drivers. Unfortunately, this means the drivers employed across the country are more likely to have to take on additional and longer trips to keep up with supply and demand. This is likely to lead to the truck driver feeling burnout and fatigued, which could lead to a truck accident.
- Caffeinated drinks or medication – Even though caffeine and medications are known to help keep truck drivers awake, aware, and focused, they are stimulants and can prevent truck drivers from noticing their body’s natural warning signs of being fatigued.
- Poor sleep – Just like any normal human being, everyone needs sleep, and this includes truck drivers. If you are working and you have overnight shifts, this can interrupt your body’s natural sleeping pattern, meaning drivers may not be getting the full amount of sleep they need.
According to the FMCSA regulations, drivers must be able to take regular resting breaks to reduce the risk of truck accidents that are caused by fatigue. Under these regulations, the truck drivers and the trucking company have a responsibility to ensure these regulations are followed as a part of their duty of care on the roads.
What Is the Effect Of Truck Driver Fatigue?
Here in Port Charlotte and the rest of Florida, driver fatigue is one of the greatest causes of truck accidents across the country. As fatigue can be so dangerous, there are federal trucking laws in place, which are known as Hours of Service (HOS), and they govern the following aspects including:
- The number of hours truck drivers are allowed to work every week.
- The amount of time truck drivers can drive in a single period before needing a break.
- The amount of time a truck driver should take off between their shifts.
Despite these regulations being in place, truck drivers have been known to lie on their driving logs so they can increase the number of hours they do and the amount of pay they receive. There are even some trucking companies that encourage their drivers to do this. However, this is an incredibly dangerous act as many truck accidents are caused by fatigue.
Here at The Law Place, we are here to make sure you do not fall victim to this reckless act and that you get the compensation and justice you deserve from an accident you did not cause. So, schedule your free consultation with us today so you can begin your legal journey with us.
Why Is Driving Fatigues So Dangerous For Others on the Road?
If a driver is operating a vehicle as large and dangerous as a truck, they need to be alert, precise, and constantly aware of the roads and others. If a driver is suffering from fatigue, then this will impair the driver’s cognition, focus, reaction time, and also their motor ability in many ways whilst driving on the road. This may include:
- Delayed reaction times.
- Lack of concentration.
- Reduced vision.
- Poor judgment when reacting to traffic conditions.
- Easily agitated by other road users.
- Slowed motor skills.
- Driving at an inappropriate speed.
- Drifting across lanes.
- Rolling at stops.
In some of the most extreme cases, a truck driver may fall asleep behind the wheel, and this could lead to the truck swerving off the road, and then they are likely to collide with other vehicles.
If you have endured any pain and suffering that was down to the negligence of another driver, then you may be able to claim financial compensation. Call The Law Place today to schedule a free consultation with one of our very experienced and very knowledgeable car accident attorneys.
What Are Some Common Injuries That Are Sustained in Truck Accidents?
Truck accidents can lead to some traumatic injuries, and in some cases, fatalities. However, there are some injuries in these types of accidents that are more common than others. Some of the more common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain and head injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Neck injuries, such as whiplash.
- Broken bones and fractures.
- Lacerations, cuts, bruises, soreness, and burns.
- Internal bleeding.
- Internal organ damage.
- Wrongful death.
If you have experienced any type of injury as a result of a truck accident either here in Port Charlotte or anywhere else in Florida, you should get in touch with The Law Place today. By calling our law firm, you will be able to schedule a free consultation. Whatever your injury may be, whether minor or major, then you still may be entitled to some sort of compensation. Our truck accident attorneys here at The Law Place are here to fight for your corner in the courts of Florida.
Contact The Law Place in Port Charlotte, FL. Today!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident that wasn’t your fault as a result of a fatigued truck driver, then contact The Law Place today. It is vital you acquire the help of a personal injury lawyer here in Port Charlotte as they will be able to fight for you to get the maximum amount of compensation.
After you contact The Law Place, you will be given a free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys. Our team here at The Law Place has over 75 years of combined experience when dealing with these types of cases, so you can rest assured your case in the best hands. You do not need to fight this battle on your own.
So, call The Law Place today at (941) 444-4444, where our lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Call or text 941-444-4444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form