Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common personal injuries that occur in Port Charlotte and the State of Florida. Whilst common, the majority of slip and fall cases occur due to negligence from another party. Negligence can be defined as when someone fails to act with the expected duty of care that others would normally exercise in those situations. This behavior is usually shown through actions but can also consist of omissions where there is an expected duty to act.
If you have been unfortunate enough to suffer injuries as a result of a slip and fall accident, then you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Here at The Law Place, we have a highly skilled team of attorneys who have managed many slip and fall cases similar to yours. A personal injury lawyer will work alongside you to ensure you receive the best possible outcome for your case.
Contact our law firm today to arrange a free consultation with an adept personal injury lawyer. Our Port Charlotte phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don’t hesitate to call us at a time most convenient for you. Contact us at (941) 444-4444 and get started with your case today.
Common Causes for Slip and Fall Accidents in Port Charlotte, FL.
There many reasons why slip and fall accidents occur in Port Charlotte. Whilst sometimes it can be down to your own unsteady footing, on other occasions, a slip and fall accident may occur due to another party being negligent. Some of the most common causes for slip and fall accidents are:
- Wet or slippery floors – This is one of the biggest causes of slip and fall accidents and can include improperly cleaned floors, wet walkways, and leaky windows.
- Uneven floors – When the ground surface is uneven, this can lead to unsteady footing, so a slip and fall accident is likely to occur.
- Exposed wires or cables – When electrical cords travel across pathways that are used by pedestrians, this poses a dangerous risk to slip and fall accidents.
- Insufficient lighting – When there is inadequate lighting, slip and fall accidents are much more likely to occur.
- Lack of signage and warning – If walkways and paths have been damaged due to weather conditions or construction works, then it is important to ensure there are warning signs posted in clear sight so pedestrians are aware of the upcoming hazard.
- Broken railings or handrails – If a railing is broken or damaged, then this can lead to inadequate support for pedestrians, therefore meaning that accidents are more likely to occur.
What Are the Most Common Injuries Sustained From Slip and Fall Accidents?
Depending on the circumstances surrounding a slip and fall accident, injuries and damage caused can range from minor to severe. Some of the most common injuries sustained as a result of a slip and fall accident are as follows:
- Broken or fractured bones.
- Injuries to the head or neck.
- Injuries to the back or spinal cord.
- Nerve and soft tissue damage.
- Cuts or lacerations.
- Abrasions or bruises.
- Wrongful death.
No matter how minor your injuries may seem, it is important to put your health first and seek medical assistance should you need to. At The Law Place, our personal injury lawyers will work to claim compensation for any medical bills that you may face. Contact our law firm today to arrange a free consultation.
What Damages Could I Be Entitled to Following a Slip and Fall Accident in Port Charlotte, FL?
By seeking legal advice from a reputable personal injury attorney, they will work to assess the intricacies of your case. One of the most important processes with any personal injury case is to establish the negligent and therefore liable party. Once this has been established, your attorney can work to identify what damages you may be able to claim. Some of the most common damages to claim for following a personal injury accident are:
- Medical bills and expenses – This covers any medical bills from the past, present, and future, as well as any costs incurred from traveling to and from these appointments. To claim for this, it is important to keep a record of any documentation and bills as your lawyer may be able to use them as evidence.
- Property damage – If any personal items such as a mobile phone or laptop were damaged during your slip and fall accident, then you may be able to claim compensation that covers the repair or replacement of these items.
- Loss of income – If the injuries you have sustained as a result of the slip and fall accident have prevented you from being able to work, then you may be able to claim compensation for any loss of income or potential loss of income.
- Pain and suffering – Whilst hard to prove, pain and suffering account for any emotional distress and trauma that you may have suffered as a result of the accident. Likewise, if the injuries sustained have prevented you from doing something you once enjoyed before the accident, then you may be able to claim damages for this.
- Wrongful death – Unfortunately, sometimes slip, and fall accidents can prove to be fatal. Whilst we understand that no amount of money can make up for their loss, if you have lost a loved one as a result of a slip and fall accident, then you may be able to claim compensation that covers funeral expenses, the loss of companionship, and income, as well as loss of consortium.
At The Law Place, a personal injury attorney will work to assess the damages you may be entitled to claim and will do their best to ensure you receive the compensation you are deserving of. Contact our offices in Port Charlotte today to arrange a free consultation.
Florida Statute of Limitations
As noted under Florida Statue 95.11, you have up to 4 years from the date of your slip and fall accident to file a claim. Whilst it is good that you have such a long length of time to claim for, we would strongly advise that you claim for a slip and fall accident as soon as possible after the incident. The sooner you make your claim, the quicker an attorney can get to work gathering evidence and crucial information that can be used to support your case.
If you have been involved in a slip and fall accident that wasn’t your fault, then what are you waiting for? Don’t hesitate to contact our law firm today. Our personal injury lawyers will be by your side every step of the way to ensure you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
Contact The Law Place in Port Charlotte, FL., Today!
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries or damage as a result of a slip and fall accident and it wasn’t your fault, then you may be entitled to compensation. Here at The Law Place, we have a team of adept attorneys with over 75 years of collective experience between them. By seeking representation from a personal injury attorney, they will work to establish liability as well as gather evidence that can support you in the damages that you are claiming for.
We understand how daunting and stressful the Florida legal system can be, which is why our attorneys will be by your side to support you every step of the way. Our lawyers pride themselves on establishing honest and transparent attorney-client relationships built on trust. It is also worthwhile mentioning that many of our attorneys are AVVO rated 10.0, so you can rest assured that your case will be in adept and competent hands. This AVVO rating is awarded to an attorney based on a number of factors, including trial skills, their length of service, any awards received, as well as client testimonials and reviews.
At The Law Place, we also offer all our customers a free consultation where we will evaluate your case and offer comprehensive legal advice on the next best steps to take, and all at no obligation. Our Port Charlotte phone lines are open around the clock, so you can call us at any time of day and relax in the knowledge that a highly skilled attorney will be on the other end of the phone to offer valuable legal advice and support at a time when you need it most. Call our Port Charlotte offices today at (941) 444-4444, and arrange a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer.