Whilst in most cases, dogs are friendly and compassionate animals, in certain situations, they can become aggressive and bite, which can cause significant personal injury and damage. Whilst it is estimated that over 63 million households in the United States own at least one dog, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 4.7 million people suffer from a dog bite attack. Moreover, with increasing numbers of dog owners year on year, this number is only expected to rise.
There is no doubt that a dog bite resulting in personal injury and damage can be a traumatic and stressful experience. Fortunately, the Florida legal system has implemented dog bite laws intended to help victims of these kinds of attacks to receive the help, support, and monetary compensation they are entitled to.
At The Law Place, we have a team of highly skilled attorneys with over 75 years of combined experience between them. Our dog bite attorneys have dealt with many cases similar to yours. They will be there to support you throughout the legal process and will work alongside your case to ensure you receive any compensation you are deserving of. Our Port Charlotte offices are open around the clock, so you can call at any time of day, and rest assured someone will be on the other end of the phone. Call us today at (941) 444-4444, and arrange a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer.
Florida Dog Bite Laws
Florida Statute 767.04 sets out the laws relating to dog bites in Florida and highlights that in the majority of cases, liability for a dog bite attack will fall to their owner. However, it is worthwhile highlighting that, as noted in Florida Statute 768.81, Florida is a comparative negligent state. In relation to a dog bite attack, this, therefore, means that if there was any negligence on your part that may have contributed to the likelihood of the dog bite attack, then the compensation you receive for any damages caused may be reduced.
Due to the complexities associated with the Florida legal system, it is strongly advised to seek the expertise of a reputable personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after the incident. A competent personal injury lawyer will fight on your behalf to ensure you receive the compensation you are deserving of. Contact The Law Place in Port Charlotte today to arrange a free consultation with a highly skilled personal injury lawyer.
For a free legal consultation with a dog bite lawyer serving Port Charlotte, call 941-444-4444
What Are the Best Steps to Take Following a Dog Bite Attack in Port Charlotte, FL?
Whilst a dog bite attack is undoubtedly a traumatizing and stressful experience, there are a number of steps you can take in order to maximize your chances of a successful personal injury claim. Such steps include:
- Notifying the owner of the dog as soon as possible after the incident. Whilst it is unlikely for the owner to admit it was their fault, it is important to make them aware of the attack that has just taken place.
- If you are bitten during the course of your employment, then it is vital to inform your employer of the attack, and where applicable, record the injury in the company’s accident book.
- Make a note of the location of the incident, as well as the date and time.
- Make a note of any witnesses to the accident and take down their contact details.
- Take photos of the injuries sustained, so you have a record of the extent of the injuries.
- Seek medical assistance as soon as possible following the incident. Even if your injuries don’t appear to be particularly severe, it is important to have them checked over by a professional to prevent any future infection.
- If you intend to make a claim, then it is important to seek the expertise of a dog bite lawyer as soon as possible following the dog bite attack.
Here at our law firm in Port Charlotte, FL., we have a team of highly skilled accident attorneys with an abundance of experience in handling the Florida legal system and in dealing with cases like yours. Contact The Law Place today to arrange a free initial consultation.
Port Charlotte Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Common Injuries Sustained From a Dog Bite Attack in Port Charlotte, FL.
Depending on the size of the dog and the severity of the attack, dog bite injuries can range from minor to severe. Some of the most common injuries sustained by Florida dog bite victims are:
- Bite or teeth marks.
- Cuts and lacerations.
- Bruises and abrasions.
- Permanent scarring.
- Soft tissue injuries.
- Broken or fractured bones.
- Permanent damages.
- Pain and suffering.
- Wrongful death.
Whilst some dog bite injuries may seem minor, they are particularly susceptible to infection if not treated efficiently. In particular, this can lead to a serious bacterial infection, such as Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, and Pasteurella. Therefore, it is vital to seek medical assistance following a dog bite, no matter how minor the injuries may appear.
Here at The Law Place, we understand the huge financial impact medical bills can have. By seeking representation from a dog bite attorney, they will work to ensure you receive compensation that covers the cost of these medical bills and expenses. Contact our law firm in Port Charlotte today to receive valuable and comprehensive legal advice from a personal injury attorney.
What Damages Can I Claim Following a Dog Bite Attack in Port Charlotte?
Victims of dog bite attacks not only have to deal with the emotional distress and trauma following the attack but they are also often left with large medical bills and financial losses. By enlisting the help of a personal injury attorney, they will work to establish the negligent party, and therefore the party liable to pay for damages. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the dog bite attack, your personal injury lawyer may look to claim on your behalf for any of the following damages:
- Medical bills – This includes any medical bills from the past, present, and future, as well as any costs incurred traveling to and from those medical appointments.
- Lost wages or lost income – If the injuries from the dog bite attack have been so severe that it has prevented you from going back to work, then you may be able to claim compensation from any lost wages from the past, present, and future.
- Pain and suffering – If you have suffered emotional distress and trauma following the dog bite attack, or you have been left unable to do something you enjoyed prior to the attack, then you may be able to claim compensation. Pain and suffering are typically difficult to prove, so it is strongly recommended to seek advice from a personal injury lawyer following the attack.
- Wrongful death – If you have lost a loved one as a result of a dog bite attack, then you may be able to claim damages that cover funeral costs, as well as their lost wages, companionship, and also for loss of consortium.
At The Law Place, we understand how stressful and traumatic a dog bite attack can be and how no amount of money can fix the injuries sustained. However, our attorneys will do their utmost to make the legal process as smooth and stress-free as possible. We will fight to ensure justice is served.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact The Law Place in Port Charlotte Today!
If you have been a victim of a dog bite attack in Port Charlotte, then it is strongly advised to seek legal advice from a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after the incident, as you may be entitled to compensation. At The Law Place, we have an experienced team of attorneys with over 75 years of combined experience between them. A personal injury lawyer will assess the intricacies of your case and offer comprehensive and valuable feedback on the next best steps to take.
By seeking help from an accident lawyer, they will work to assess what damages you may be able to claim and will do their best to ensure you receive the compensation you are deserving of. Our law firm understands how daunting facing the Florida legal system can be, which is why our attorneys will be there to support and guide you every step of the way. We pride ourselves on developing trusting and open attorney-client relationships built on transparency, so you can rest assured that your case will be in competent and knowledgeable hands.
It is worthwhile mentioning that at our law firm, all our attorneys work on a contingency basis, which is regulated by the State Bar Association who set limits on how much attorneys can charge for their work. This also means that we will only deduct the cost of our legal fees once a settlement has been won and received by the client. This means that there are no upfront costs, and therefore if you are unfortunate to lose your case, then you won’t owe us a single penny.
Contact our Port Charlotte offices today. Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call us at (941) 444-4444, and arrange a free consultation with an adept accident attorney today.