Boating accidents happen in the state of Florida more than you might think. Despite strict boating safety measures in place in Orlando, boating accidents happen due to someone else’s negligence, excessive speed levels, reckless behaviour or while boating when intoxicated. If you or a loved one have suffered injuries in a boating accident due to another operator, an Orlando boating accident lawyer will be able to help you. We will be able to seek compensation on your behalf for emotional, physical and financial suffering.
At The Law Place, we have years of experience in dealing with boat accidents cases similar to yours. Our team of experienced boat accident attorneys will be able to build your defense from the beginning, fighting against the negligent party to get the compensation that you deserve. Many of our attorneys have an AVVO rating of 10.0 – the highest rating. This is achieved after years of service, client reviews and rewards, so you can trust that you are in safe hands.
Book your free consultation with one of our attorneys today on (941)-444-4444.
What Are The Primary Causes of Boating Accidents?
As mentioned previously, a boating accident occurs in Orlando more often than you think. In an effort to reduce the numbers of accidents happening, the US Coast Guard Auxiliary along with the state of Florida offer programs and training. Despite this, accidents are still happening and it is important to know the primary causes in order to prevent boat collisions and significant injuries.
- Improper Lookout – A lookout is someone who is constantly on the watch during a boat trip. All boats should have a lookout in order to avoid a boating collision. If the lookout is distracted when out at sea, then their line of defense is instantly weakened.
- Operator Inattention – Operators are the people who control the boat. They at all times must be focused, following boating safety advice and be ready to react to any hazards that might come in the way.
- Boat Operator Inexperience – It is no secret that boats can be difficult to control and operate sometimes, especially in bad weather conditions. When a boat operator is inexperienced, an Orlando boat accident is more likely to happen.
- Excessive Speed – Boat operators must be in control of their speed, maintaining a safe speed at all times. Excessive speed can lead to a boating accident, as in most boat accident cases the operator loses control and is unable to avoid an upcoming hazard.
- Alcohol Use – As found in Florida law, it is illegal to operate a boat under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The reason for this is that drugs and alcohol affect a person’s reaction time, leading to irrational decision-making and boat accidents.
- Machinery Failure – If the internal machinery of the boat fails it can lead to a boating accident.
- Hazardous Weather Conditions – Although summer is usually boating season, bad weather can still cause boating accidents. Heavy rain accompanied with strong winds cause the water to be dangerous.
- Inadequate Passenger Behavior – Similar to a car accident, passengers can contribute to boating accidents. If they are distracting the operator with rowdy behaviour like pushing, it can lead to injuries and collisions.
- Falling Overboard – Falling overboard means when a passenger on the boat falls from it. This is incredibly dangerous, which can lead to serious injuries and in the worst cases, death by drowning.
- Capsizing – Strong waves in the sea or a collision with the other operator of the other party can cause a boat to capsize.
What To Do If You’re Involved in a Boating Accident
If you or a loved one has been involved in a boating accident, there are a series of steps you must follow in order to protect your legal rights. They are as follows:
- Remain at the Scene of the Accident – If possible, it is important to remain at the scene of the accident and give information to law enforcement when they arrive. You do not have to divulge all information without the presence of your boat accident attorney. As per the Fifth Amendment, you have a right to withhold any self-incriminating information also.
- Render Aid – As found in Florida Statutes, if someone requires medical treatment following the accident, you have a legal duty to seek medical aid. This includes calling emergency services and arranging transport from the scene to a medical professional to look at the injured victim.
- Report the Accident – If the accident was mine and law enforcement is not called to the scene, you will still need to report the incident to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the local police or local sheriff’s department.
- Get All Necessary Information – Necessary information is important for legal options that your Orlando boating accident attorney can use to fight your case. This information includes names and telephone numbers of any witnesses and those involved in the accident and any law enforcement that arrives at the scene.
- Take Pictures – Pictures can be used by accident lawyer as evidence in your case. Take pictures of injuries and of the vessels included in the accident.
What Damages Can I Claim In A Boating Accident Case?
In the Orlando area and across the state of Florida, auto insurance is mandatory. Boating insurance, however, is not mandatory. Although your lawyer in Orlando will attempt to settle your case through an insurance claim, they might need to file a civil lawsuit in order to recover damages from the negligent party. After an accident, you generally have four years from the accident’s date to file a lawsuit. If you are seeking compensation after an injury case, listed below are some of the compesnable losses:
If in the boat accident you have suffered head and brain injuries, broken bones or other serious injuries, your lawyer will take into account medical costs and bills, a usual requirement in personal injury cases. Boating accidents attorneys will be able to purse the costs of:
- Physical therapy
- Mental health services for emotional stress
- Assistive devices
Our group of boating accident attorneys will account for any past, present and future healthcare costs that you may need. This can be done by consulting with healthcare professionals and reviewing your treatment records following the boat accident.
Following a boat accident, your injuries could cause you to miss valuable time away from work. Whether you are in full-time or part-time employment, suffered losses can include:
- Employee benefits
- Advancement opportunities in your career for further wage increase
Your attorney will also account for any future earning losses that you must suffer as a result of your injuries.
Pain and Suffering
Pain and suffering refers to the physical and emotional distress that happens following an accident. You don’t have to be hurt to claim pain and suffering, it also refers to loss of enjoyment of life and mental illness that can occur following boating accidents. Your expenses will be based on the following:
- Your recovery period
- Amount of hospital stays needed
- Ability to work
- Changes to your physical appearance
- Your tangible losses
Serious boating accidents can cause deep lacerations, burns and the loss of one or more limbs. If your injuries have left you with any long-term physical impairments, you will be able to seek compensation for the damages to your appearance and overall health.
Wrongful Death-Related Losses
In the worst case scenarios, boating accidents can lead to death. We understand that no amount of money will ever be able to take away the pain of such loss, but it will help to relieve extra stress.
Some of the financial damages that can be recovered are as follows:
- Funeral costs
- The burial plot or urn
- Loss of consortium
- Final medical bills
We understand that every situation is unique to the families involved, and you can work with your personal injury attorney to recovering compensation that might not have been mentioned here in order to help your loved ones.
What Can an Orlando Boating Accident Lawyer Do For Me?
If you or a loved one have been involved in a boat accident in Orlando, you should seek legal assistance as soon as possible. The longer you leave it, the weaker your evidence will become.
Your boat accident attorney will be able to assist you in navigating your insurance company and helping you to avoid anything harmful towards your claim.
If you were not at fault in this accident, your lawyer will be able to help you in seeking compensation, interview witnesses, and going the extra mile to prove your innocence. This is why it is crucial to have photographic evidence and key statements and contact details from the witnesses.
On the other hand, if you are facing a boating accident lawsuit, you will need the help of an experienced attorney. At The Law Place, we have a proven track record of great experience on both sides of the courtroom and are committed to supporting our clients in any way we need to.
Contact The Law Place Orlando Today
So, if you or a loved one have been involved in an accident, contact a boat accidents lawyer at The Law Place today for a free case evaluation. Don’t wait for help; call us at