Cycling is a very popular sport in St. Petersburg and the State of Florida itself. In St. Petersburg, many residents use bikes as an essential form of travel to get to work or school, and others use bikes for leisure and exercise reasons. Although the St. Petersburg roads are generally safe to cycle on, unfortunately, bicycle accidents still occur and can sometimes cause devastating damage and injury.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a bicycle accident that has resulted in damage and injury, then it is strongly advised that you seek legal representation as soon as possible following the incident, as you may be entitled to compensation. At The Law Place, we have a team of adept accident lawyers with over 75 years of experience in handling a variety of cases and dealing with the Florida legal system. Our lawyers offer valuable and comprehensive legal advice and will work tirelessly to ensure their clients receive the best outcome possible.
Our St. Petersburg phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don’t hesitate to call us at a time most convenient for you, and rest assured a skilled personal injury lawyer will be on hand to help. Call us today to arrange a free consultation with a competent bicycle accident lawyer.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV) website, in 2018, there were over 403,000 crashes recorded in the State of Florida. From that number, 6590 of those were bicycle accidents, with 160 resulting in fatalities.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving St. Petersburg, call 941-444-4444
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL?
As noted on The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website, there are a number of reasons why bicycle accidents occur. Some of the most common reasons are as follows:
- The number of cyclists – Over recent years, road cycling has become an increasingly popular sport and mode of transport for both the residents and tourists of St. Petersburg. As a result, there are increasing numbers of cyclists taking to the roads each day, meaning that the chances of an accident occurring are greatly increased.
- Visibility – Despite many cyclists taking necessary precautions to remain visible when cycling at night by utilizing bike lights and reflective clothing, many drivers still fail to see them.
- Negligent or reckless driving – As noted in Florida Statute 768.81. if a driver is speeding, driving recklessly, or operating their vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI), bicycle accidents are increasingly likely to occur.
- Failure to yield – One of the most common reasons why bicycle accidents occur is due to another driver’s failure to yield and failure to give the right of way to a cyclist when necessary.
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident that wasn’t your fault, then you may be eligible to claim compensation. An accident lawyer will work on your behalf to ensure you receive the best possible outcome and that justice is served. Call The Law Place today to arrange a free consultation with an adept St. Petersburg bicycle accident attorney.
St. Petersburg Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
The Best Steps to Take to Prevent Bicycle Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL.
There are a number of precautionary measures that cyclists can take to avoid bicycle accidents occurring. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles published a set of guidelines to follow, which may help to prevent accidents from occurring. Such guidelines included the following tips:
- Increase visibility – Many bicycle accidents seem to occur at night time when cyclists are not easily visible to other road users. Wearing reflective clothing and ensuring the correct lights are on their bikes will help to increase visibility and thus reduce the chances of an accident.
- Use bicycle lanes – Where possible, cyclists should cycle in their designated bicycle lanes to reduce the risk of an accident occurring.
- Bicycle maintenance – As with other vehicle users, cyclists have a duty of care to check their vehicle for defective equipment and ensure their vehicle is well maintained. When this duty of care is neglected, accidents are increasingly likely to occur.
- Following the traffic laws – Just as with cars and trucks, if cyclists abide by the rules of the road and follow all road signals and markings correctly, the chances of an accident occurring are reduced.
- Acting with a duty of care – Just as with operating a motor vehicle, it is vitally important for cyclists to keep their eyes on the road and pay attention to their surroundings at all times. Cyclists should avoid using their phones, listening to music, or partaking in any other activity that may distract them whilst riding a bike. They should also avoid driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs, as similarly with a motor vehicle, your reaction times and ability to make rational decisions decreases greatly.
Common Injuries Sustained as a Result of a Bicycle Accident
Cyclists have more exposure to their surroundings and their environment in comparison to drivers of motorized vehicles. This means that the risk of sustaining physical injuries is greatly increased. Some of the most common injuries that cyclists sustain are:
- Cuts, lacerations, and abrasions.
- Burns or bruising.
- Fractured or broken bones.
- Injuries to the back or spinal cord.
- Head injuries.
- Internal bleeding or damage to internal organs.
- Loss of life.
If you have suffered from any injuries due to an accident that wasn’t your fault, then a personal injury lawyer may be able to claim compensation on your behalf. Contact The Law Place today to arrange a free consultation with an adept bicycle accident attorney.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Damages May You Be Able to Claim For Following a Bicycle Accident in St. Petersburg?
If you have been involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault but have sustained damage and injury as a result, then you may be entitled to claim for damages. Depending on the circumstances of the incident, you may be able to claim for any of the following damages:
- Medical bills – This includes any medical bills and expenses incurred from any past, present, and future appointments.
- Property damages – If your bicycle or any personal belongings have been damaged as a result of the accident, then you may be entitled to claim compensation that covers the cost of repairs or replacements.
- Loss of income or wages – If the accident has prevented you from returning to work, then you may be able to claim compensation that covers the loss of income or earning potential.
- Wrongful death – If you have lost a loved one as a result of a traffic collision, then you may be entitled to damages that cover the cost of funeral expenses, loss of income, and loss of consortium.
By seeking the expertise of a St. Petersburg bicycle accident attorney, they will work to establish the damages you are entitled to claim for. From there, they will work alongside you and fight on your behalf to ensure you receive the compensation that you are deserving of. Contact our offices today to get started with your case.
Contact The Law Place in St. Petersburg, FL., Today!
If you have been involved in a traffic collision that wasn’t your fault, then it is highly recommended to seek legal advice from a reputable bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. At The Law Place, our team of personal injury lawyers has over 75 years of collective experience in handling the Florida legal system and in dealing with cases similar to yours.
At our law firm, we understand how daunting the legal process can seem which is why our St. Petersburg bicycle accident attorneys will be there to support and guide you through the process every step of the way. Our accident attorneys pride themselves on developing trusting and open attorney-client relationships built on transparency. It is also worthwhile mentioning that many of our lawyers are AVVO rated 10.0, which is the highest possible rating. This rating is awarded based on trial skills, length of service, awards, and client reviews and testimonials.
At The Law Place, all of our lawyers work on a contingency basis. Contingency work is monitored by The State Bar Association who sets limits on the amount that lawyers can charge for their work. This means that all our accident attorneys at The Law Place do not charge upfront. Instead, any legal fees are simply deducted from your settlement once you have won your case. This also means that if, for any reason, your case is unsuccessful, you won’t have to pay any legal fees at all.
Our St. Petersburg phone lines are open around the clock, so rest assured a St. Petersburg bicycle accident lawyer will be on hand to help. Don’t hesitate to call us at a time when you need us most. We offer all our customers a free case evaluation where we will assess the legitimacy of your case and offer comprehensive and valuable legal advice on the next best steps to take. What are you waiting for? Call us today and arrange your free consultation with a St. Petersburg bicycle accident lawyer today!