A slip and fall accident can be devastating due to the unexpected injuries that can follow; out of the one million people who fall each year, as many as 30% experience significant injuries. An example of such an injury includes a knee injury. The knee consists of a complicated combination of bones, cartilage, and ligaments, and a slip and fall can easily knock something out of place. As well as a slip and fall accident, a knee injury can also be the result of an auto accident. Any knee injury, no matter the cause, can be painful and slow to heal, it is a possibility that some may even need surgery to repair a torn ligament. For such reasons, it is important to consider employing the aid of a personal injury attorney.
At The Law Place, our law firm has a combined 75 years of experience and can direct you through the Clearwater, FL, legal system. Our personal injury lawyers at our Clearwater firm will offer a free consultation to establish as to whether you have a valid case and discuss all of the necessary legal advice that applies to your legal journey. Our firm operates across Florida, including Clearwater, FL, Tampa, FL, Orlando, FL, and Sarasota, FL. Contact us today on (941) 444-4444; our lines are open 24/7 for your convenience.
Slip and Fall Cases
A “slip and fall” is a term used to describe a personal injury case in which a person slips and falls, which results in being injured on someone else’s property. If you slip and fall and acquire a knee injury due to another person’s dangerous property conditions, then you could have a successful personal injury case. You can file a suit for a range of reasons, for example, a spill or lack of maintenance on the property, as long as this negligence was the cause of the slip and fall. If you or a loved one have been injured in a slip and fall, then do not hesitate to call us for a free consultation.
Car Accident Cases
If an auto accident was the cause of your knee injury in Clearwater, then it is advisable that you seek compensation for any medical bills you face and for any lost wages. If the car accident was considered minor, then under Florida’s no-fault law, as outlined in Florida Statute 627.7407, and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) laws, as outlined in Florida Statute 627.736, you may claim damages from your own car insurance company.
Symptoms of a Knee Injury
A knee injury is caused by trauma or damage to the underlying structure of the knee. As the knee is so complex, possessing a series of mechanisms, a lot can go wrong. Some examples of symptoms of a knee injury include, but are not limited to:
- Swelling around the knee.
- An obvious deformity – e.g. the knee jutting outward in an unnatural manner.
- Felt or heard a ‘pop’ – this often indicates a ligamentous injury. If this is paired with excessive swelling and/or instability, it could mean there is a sprain.
- A decrease in range of motion.
- Inability to straighten your knee or leg.
- The knee keeps buckling.
If you have suffered an obvious knee injury that was not your fault, get in contact with The Law Place, Clearwater, to discuss your possible personal injury case through a free consultation. Whether the cause was a slip and fall or car accident, it is important you receive the justice you deserve.
Why Can Knee Injuries Be So Damaging?
Knee injuries may not seem too serious, but if an injury is severe enough, it can possibly require surgery to repair the damage or, in the worst-case scenario, may need replacing. Furthermore, following any surgery, it can take most people around three to six weeks to return to most normal activities. However, it can stretch to six to eight weeks or longer before you are able to drive safely, and weeks to months before you are able to return back to work. Despite this, it is important to remember that these timelines are subjective to the case itself, for instance, the severity of the injury, demands of your daily life, and overall health can all affect the speed of which a person can recover fully from a knee injury.
In addition to recovery times, the cost surrounding a knee injury can be quite expensive in Clearwater and Florida as a whole. The average cost for a total knee replacement in the United States is roughly $49,500, and a partial knee replacement is only slightly less expensive. As well as this, outpatient physical therapy costs can add an additional $2,600 to your medical bills following most kinds of knee injuries. Unfortunately, once time off work for recovery, the expensive medical bills, and expenses for home modifications in severe cases are all added together, then a knee injury can become a very costly and serious occurrence.
Finally, a knee injury can greatly decrease a person’s mobility and their ability to be able to perform a lot of activities they once enjoyed. For instance, in the case of athletes, knee injuries can greatly hinder their career and ability to carry on with their chosen sport.
For these reasons, it is important to realize how impactful a knee injury can truly be and how, if it was not your fault, you should seek legal aid for seeking the compensation you may deserve.
Damages Available Following a Knee Injury
If you have sustained a knee injury through means that were not your fault, then you may be owed compensation. The Law Place will appoint an experienced personal injury attorney to your case who will aim to achieve the most suitable amount of compensation relating to your circumstances. Compensation can be received through the following forms:
- Medical costs – If you or your loved one have experienced a slip and fall or car accident which resulted in a knee injury, then it is likely you will require medical attention. Because of this, you should be able to claim compensation for the necessary costs to cover any medical bills, e.g. for surgery, hospital time, physio, etc. This is the same for any projected medical costs for more serious injuries, such as for possible future surgery costs or other forms of medical upkeep.
- Pain and suffering – If the knee injury has caused pain and suffering, this equates to emotional and/or mental suffering, as well as a loss of enjoyment in activities you once did enjoy before the slip and fall or car accident, then compensation could be owed. However, this is difficult due to the fact it is hard to prove and then to quantify. For these reasons, it is best to employ an experienced personal injury lawyer.
- Loss of enjoyment – This is a complex form of damages due to it being hard to prove and quantify. Loss of enjoyment relates to you not being able to enjoy activities you once did, e.g. a runner being unable to carry on with running.
- Loss of wages – If any knee injuries after a slip and fall or car crash lead to you being unable to work and have thus lost wages, then because of this, you may be owed this back via compensation. Similarly, you may be owed any projected loss wages, too, if you are not fit enough to return to work.
Our personal injury attorneys at The Law Place are well experienced in fighting for those who deserve compensation and will be more than happy to explain the legal journey ahead if you organize a free consultation with us. The impact on a person’s lifestyle following a knee injury can be extremely significant, and therefore it is best to get in contact with a knowledgeable lawyer based in Clearwater so that you receive the justice you deserve. Contact us today to get in contact with an experienced attorney from our Clearwater firm, following a slip and fall or car crash.
Contact The Law Place Today!
Our law firm, The Law Place, has a combined 75 years of navigating the Florida legal system and ensures that our clients receive the best possible representation when fighting for any compensation they may deserve following their accident. The Law Place operates across the state of Florida, including Clearwater FL, Tampa FL (St. Petersburg), Sarasota FL, and Orlando FL, and do not hesitate to contact your local office so we can begin your legal journey.
Whether you have been involved in a slip and fall or auto accident, our team of attorneys will be able to provide legal advice so that you understand the case ahead and can make an informed decision on choosing us as your legal representation. Call us today if you have been involved in an accident in order to organize a free consultation with an experienced injury attorney on (941) 444-4444, phone lines are open 24/7.