Clearwater is a well-loved beach city. However, a high number of slip and fall accidents occur here. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, then you could be entitled to compensation.
Slip and fall accidents are often associated with the elderly, but these types of accidents can happen to someone of any age, anywhere. A slip and fall can often feel embarrassing, which means that people often walk away without properly assessing what happened. Especially because the full extent of the injuries may not be apparent initially.
Injuries sustained from a slip and fall can range from damaged muscles and tendons to a traumatic brain injury or slipped disc, these can change someone’s life, and the lives of their family, forever.
If you have had a slip and fall accident in Clearwater, you may be able to seek compensation from a negligent property owner. The Law Place has a dedicated team of personal injury lawyers who will be able to gather evidence and determine the details of your case in order to secure you the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today for a free consultation on (941) 444-4444.
What to Do After a Clearwater Slip and Fall
After a slip and fall, the best thing you can do is take pictures of the scene and note any details. However, if you didn’t do this, then that isn’t a problem, your Clearwater slip and fall lawyer will do their best to gather evidence from things like witnesses, CCTV, and the nature of your injuries.
In order to hold a negligent property owner accountable, here are the steps you should try and take.
- Most importantly, seek medical attention as soon as possible, and keep all of your medical notes, bills, travel expenses, and anything else you think might be relevant.
- Try and get a clear idea of what happened, write down any details you remember as soon as you can.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses.
- Take photographs of anything that could be relevant, such as your injuries, and the area where you fell.
- Record any lost wages as a result of your accident.
- Do not take any responsibility for the accident or say that it was in any way your fault. You may not have all of the details straight away, or your judgment could be clouded.
To receive help and from a Clearwater slip and fall attorney, contact The Law Place now.
Slip and Falls: The Real Picture
Although it is rarely spoken about, slip and falls are shockingly common in Florida. Here are some shocking facts about slip and falls:
- The second leading cause of all accidental deaths in Florida are falls.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) states that the leading cause of construction-related injuries in the United States are falls.
- According to the Florida Department of Health (FDOH), falls are the leading cause of fatal and nonfatal injuries for people over 65.
- Falls are also common for children, and in Florida, there are specific programs in place to educate people on the issue and prevent them from happening.
Who Will Pay for Your Slip and Fall Accident in Clearwater, FL?
A Clearwater slip and fall attorney will assess your case and determine whether the property owner could be found negligent. Liability is based on whether the owner failed to comply with legal requirements or acted unreasonably.
When you enter someone else’s property, you fall into one of three categories:
- An Invitee – If you are invited into a property, then you are owed the highest duty of care. The owner of the property must keep their premises safe and warn you of any potential hazards. This includes customers at a store or restaurant. Invitees usually enter a property for the benefit of the property owner.
- A licensee – As a licensee, you enter a property for your own purposes or a guest with the consent of the owner. This includes house guests. The owner of the property owes licensees a duty of care.
- A trespasser – If you have no invitation or legal right to be on a property, then you are a trespasser. The owner has no duty to keep the premises safe for trespassers. However, an owner may still be liable if they are found to have intentionally created harmful conditions to endanger trespassers. Examples include setting traps.
What Can I Claim for in My Slip and Fall Case in Clearwater, FL?
Every slip fall case is different. Help from an experienced personal injury lawyer will enable you to identify what types of damages you can claim for.
Damages fall into three categories: punitive, economic, and noneconomic.
In accordance with Florida Statute 768.72, punitive damages are awarded if the owner of the property showed “intentional misconduct or gross negligence.” They are designed to punish the owner for their behavior.
- Lost income.
- Medical bills.
- Mobility devices.
- Therapy (physical or psychological).
- Funeral and burial expenses.
- Permanent impairments or limitations.
- Loss of bodily functions.
- Pain and suffering.
- Disfigurement of any kind.
- Lifestyle changes.
- Anxiety and other forms of emotional distress.
To successfully claim compensation for a slip fall accident, the risks must have been reasonably foreseeable. This includes hazards that the owner knew existed or should have known existed. They must have also had sufficient time to warn people or remove the hazard. Examples include wires, spilled liquids, and anything that could be a trip hazard.
Together We Can Bring Negligent Property Owners to Justice
When you phone The Law Place, you will receive a free case evaluation and advice from an experienced slip and fall lawyer. We will ask the right questions to determine whether you have a case against a negligent property owner and tell you what your next steps should be.
Property owners often try to place blame on the victim for their injuries, even if their property is poorly maintained. Businesses may have an insurance company on their side who will fight to devalue or dismiss your claim. Your Clearwater slip and fall lawyer will make sure that you are not taken advantage of.
After your free consultation, if we think you have a case, then we will invite you to an in-depth review. Here, we will explain what we will do for you, such as gathering evidence, liaising with insurance companies and property owners, and determining how much you are entitled to. If you agree to representation at this stage, then we will take over so you can recover.
At The Law Place, an experienced Clearwater slip and fall attorney will allow time to get to know you as an individual. We want a complete picture of your lifestyle, to understand all the ways in which your injuries have affected you. While money won’t take your injuries away, a fair settlement will help to lighten the burdens, be that financial or more personal struggles.
We emphasize with our clients and understand the difficulties they face. Our personal injury lawyers have honed their skills with their vast experience and will build as strong of a case as they can to hold those responsible accountable for their actions. We have helped people like you recover millions in public liability cases in Clearwater and across Florida. We want you to understand our process and will explain the intricacies of the law in a digestible way, so you can feel confident in how your case is moving forward.
Don’t Waste Time – Contact The Law Place Today
At The Law Place, we have a proven success rate outside and inside the courtroom. Our approach to investigation and preparation, combined with our experience, will help to secure you the compensation you deserve. Our practice areas cover Clearwater, Tampa, Sarasota, and other cities across Florida.
Contact an attorney at The Law Place today for a free consultation so that you can make an informed choice about how you want to proceed.
Call us now on (941) 444-4444.