It is well known that driving a motorcycle on the roads of Florida is more dangerous than driving a regular car. This is because motorbikes are much more exposed than a car or any other motor vehicle, and they don’t usually have the same safety features. In addition, many other road users fail to take adequate care when driving alongside a biker which can result in a collision happening.
Being involved in a motorcycle crash in St. Petersburg can result in serious injuries that can alter a person’s life. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that almost 80% of motorcycle accidents result in either injury or death. When a person is seriously injured, they will likely have huge to pay huge medical bills, and they may be left unable to work, resulting in lost wages and additional pain and suffering. If your insurance policy does not cover these expenses, the only option may be to file a personal injury suit against the party responsible.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident in St. Petersburg, you should call us at The Law Place as soon as possible. Our law firm has over 75 years of combined experience in multiple practice areas, including many motorcycle collision cases. Our team of experienced St. Petersburg motorcycle accident attorneys is skilled in building strong personal injury claims to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. We offer a free consultation where you can speak to a motorcycle accident lawyer with no strings attached.
Call us today to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our injury lawyers. Our lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Causes of St. Petersburg Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle crashes are a common occurrence throughout America, but this is particularly true in Florida, as the State has the second-highest amount of bikers in the country. Statistics provided by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV) indicate that between January and May of 2021, there have been 3,436 motorcycle accidents, including 232 fatalities. These statistics demonstrate that there is a high risk of St. Petersburg motorcycle accidents happening, so it is important to take caution if you are a biker on the roads.
Some of the main causes of motorcycle accidents in St. Petersburg include:
- Blind spots – As motorcycles are smaller in size than a typical motor vehicle, many drivers fail to notice bikers when they turn a corner or merge into traffic.
- Distracted driving – It is easy for a driver to not notice a motorcyclist if they are driving while distracted. Some common distractions include texting while driving, eating or drinking, and talking to passengers.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) – Many motorcycle accidents happen due to drunk driving or driving under the influence of a controlled substance.
- Tailgating – If a driver fails to give adequate space to the motor vehicle or motorcycle in front of them and the motorcyclist stops suddenly, this can result in an accident.
- Aggressive driving – Busy life in Florida means that drivers are often rushing to get somewhere, which can result in aggressive driving. When drivers do get aggressive, it often results in a motorcycle collision happening.
- Poor road conditions – If there are uneven road surfaces or potholes present, the risk of a collision happening increases.
- Traffic violations – Many accidents on the roads of St. Petersburg are caused by drivers failing to obey the rules of the road by speeding, running red lights, or failing to yield.
- Defective parts – In many instances, defective parts of a motorcycle or poor maintenance can result in a crash happening. In these situations, it is possible to make a personal injury claim against the manufacturer or the party responsible for maintaining the bike.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving St. Petersburg, call 941-444-4444
Types of Compensation for a St. Petersburg Motorcycle Accident
If you have been involved in a St. Petersburg motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for any personal injury or property damage you have sustained. Depending on the particular circumstances of your case, an accident injury lawyer can help you claim the following:
- Medical bills – You can claim medical expenses related to any injuries from the motorbike accident, including bills for hospital appointments and transport to and from these appointments. You can also claim any future medical expenses for life-long injuries.
- Lost wages – If you have been left unable to work due to injuries you have suffered, you can claim lost wages, including any potential future earnings.
- Property damage – If your bike or any other valuable property was damaged in the accident, you could claim compensation to cover the costs of reparation.
- Pain and suffering – It’s possible to claim for any emotional or physical distress you have suffered as a result of the motorcycle accident in the form of pain and suffering damages. An example of this includes if you are now unable to participate in a hobby you previously enjoyed because of your injuries.
- Wrongful death – Losing a loved one in a motorcycle accident is tragic, and no amount of compensation will make the situation easier. Motorcycle accident lawyers can help relieve some financial stress by filing a wrongful death suit to cover funeral expenses and a loss of income to the family household.
St. Petersburg Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Types of Injuries in a St. Petersburg Motorcycle Accident
There are many different types of injuries an individual can sustain in a motorcycle accident. Depending on the particular circumstances of the accident, a biker may face serious injuries or even death. Some of the most common injuries seen by St. Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyers include:
- Broken bones, fractures, or sprains.
- Dislocation of bones and joints.
- Eye injuries from a biker not wearing protective eye gear.
- Damage to internal organs, including internal bleeding.
- Injuries to the brain, including traumatic brain injury (TBI).
Regardless of whether the motorcycle accident injuries you suffered are minor or serious, you should file a personal injury claim to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve and that the other party is held liable. Here at The Law Place, a St. Petersburg motorcycle accident attorney from our firm can help build you a strong claim to ensure that you are adequately compensated. We offer a free case evaluation where you can receive legal assistance with no strings attached.
Steps to Take Following a St. Petersburg Motorcycle Accident
There are a number of important steps you are required to take following a motorbike accident in Florida. It is necessary that you carry out these steps in order to ensure that the other party is found liable and that an insurance company cannot try and devalue your claim.
If you have been involved in a St. Petersburg motorcycle accident, you should take the following steps:
- Check for any injuries – Your first priority after an accident should be ensuring that both you and the other parties involved are safe and haven’t suffered any injuries. If anyone has been injured, it is required by law that you provide reasonable assistance or phone medical services as soon as possible.
- Call a police officer – Florida Statute 316.062 requires that you phone a police officer following a motorcycle accident. Once they arrive at the scene, they will take the details of the parties involved, any witness statements, and they will file a police report of the accident.
- Collect contact information – It is important that you get the personal information of the parties involved in the accident, including their full name, driver’s registration number, phone number, and the details of their insurance company.
- Gather evidence – You should always gather as much evidence from the scene as possible, including witness statements and photos of the accident scene, including any damage to the vehicles involved.
- Seek medical assistance – One of the most important aspects of a personal injury claim is the medical evidence you provide, including hospital bills and doctor’s reports. Regardless of whether you think you have suffered serious motorcycle accident injuries, you should always seek medical care, as it is possible for more serious injuries to come about after some time.
- Call a St. Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyer – It is recommended that you seek the assistance of a motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible following your accident. They can help you with the investigation of your case from the outset and use the evidence to build a strong injury claim on your behalf.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Statute of Limitations in St. Petersburg, FL.
Florida Statute 95.11 provides that a person has four years from the time of the accident to file a personal injury claim. When filing a claim, a victim must demonstrate that the other party’s negligence caused them to be injured. A St. Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyer can help you demonstrate that the other party is liable by proving that they owed you a duty of care, that this duty was breached, and that this breach of duty resulted in you being injured.
If you have lost a loved one as a result of a motorcycle crash, Florida law provides that you have two years to make a wrongful death claim. We recommend that you contact one of our firm’s injury lawyers as soon as possible, as it often takes a long time to process a motorcycle accident case, and navigating the Florida legal system can be a lengthy process. The longer you leave it to file a claim, the more difficult it will be to get you the compensation you are owed.
Working With Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, Florida
As stated above, motorcycle accident cases can be difficult and trying to receive compensation can be a long process. This is why we advise seeking legal assistance from a St. Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyer who can help you by doing the following:
- Gathering evidence, including witness statements, pictures, and any CCTV footage from the scene.
- Carrying out an in-depth investigation of the accident.
- Communicating with your insurance company and the insurance companies of the other parties on your behalf.
- Reviewing police reports of the accident.
- Building a strong motorcycle accident case and determining which party is liable.
- Using this strong case to get a settlement or taking the case to court if necessary.
Contact The Law Place Today
Florida motorcycle crashes can be traumatic and can cause a lot of stress, particularly when trying to receive compensation for any injury or damage to property you have sustained. Additionally, motorcycle accident victims are often left without adequate compensation due to unsympathetic insurance companies who try to devalue claims.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle crash in Florida and have suffered a serious injury as a result, we recommend speaking with a personal injury lawyer from our firm as soon as possible. Here at The Law Place, our office has over 75 years of combined experience in multiple practice areas, including many accident injury cases. Our team of motorcycle accident attorneys is experienced in managing cases like yours and has a proven track record in getting clients the compensation they are owed. We offer a free consultation where you can receive honest legal advice from one of our St. Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyers.
Our priority is always to try to recover compensation for accident victims and to ensure they receive justice for any injuries they have suffered.
Call us today to schedule a free case evaluation. Our lines are open 24/7 all year round.