If you have been seriously injured in a car accident in the State of Florida, then you must remember to file your lawsuit as soon as possible to ensure that you receive the compensation that you deserve.
A car accident has the potential to wreak havoc in your personal and professional life, and you could be entitled to recover compensation for your injuries, pain and suffering, property damage, medical bills, loss of income due to being left unable to work, and other types of losses. It is very important that you seek legal representation soon after your car crash so that you can focus on your return to health while your personal injury lawyer handles your case.
The Law Place has over seventy-five years of collective experience and knowledge in successfully filing car accident lawsuits for clients who have been injured in crashes across the State of Florida. Our law firm is well-versed in the art of filing a car accident claim, and we understand the seriousness of the situation that you are in. We have a dedicated team of personal injury lawyers who are skilled at negotiating with insurance companies and managing car accident claims with great success.
Get in touch with The Law Place today, and we will file a lawsuit on your behalf. Our phone lines are open 24/7, and we are waiting on your call.
Contact us now at (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight your car accident together in the State of Florida.
Statute of Limitations for a Car Accident Claim in Florida
Following an accident, you have a certain amount of time to file a lawsuit before it expires. This is also known as the statute of limitations.
The statute of limitations declares that you have up to four years from the exact date of the car crash to file a car accident claim in the State of Florida. If you miss the deadline, then your case will most likely get dismissed. However, the judge might be willing to extend the deadline for a car accident lawsuit if there was a minor in the car who was injured in the crash or if the injury went unnoticed for weeks or even months following the car accident.
A personal injury lawyer will assess the best time to file a car accident claim, as you do not want to agree to a settlement until you find out the extent of your injuries and the severity of the long-term consequences following the car crash.
In addition, you must remember that your personal injury protection (PIP) insurance requires you to seek medical treatment within two weeks of the car accident. If you were to neglect this requirement, then your car accident claim could be denied by your insurer in the State of Florida.
More information on personal injury protection (PIP) insurance can be found in Florida Statute 627.736.
For a free legal consultation, call 941-444-4444
What Is the Deadline for Filing an Insurance Claim After a Car Accident?
You must report your car accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. Most insurers will write in their policy that you have up to 24 hours to report a crash. However, they may also specify the time limit further in your agreement. The time limit only refers to reporting the car accident – this does not refer to filing a car accident or wrongful death claim.
It is always best to file a car accident claim quickly following a car accident, as insurance companies tend to become suspicious of claims that are not filed immediately after an accident has occurred. If you wait too long, then your case will become complicated, and they will likely make it harder for you to recover the compensation that you deserve.
In the end, the sooner that you make a report, the faster your personal injury claim will be processed. But above all else, you must have a personal injury lawyer on your side to explain the process to you and make sure that there are no mistakes made along the way.
The Process of a Car Accident Claim
Florida law asks you to seek compensation from your own insurance company when you have been injured in a car accident – regardless of who is at fault. However, you can still file a personal injury lawsuit to recover any damages, which includes injuries, pain and suffering, lost wages, property damage, and more.
Your insurance company has up to 30 days to accept or deny your personal injury protection (PIP) claim. If your claim is denied, you will receive a reason from your insurance company. However, you can decide to appeal this decision from your insurance company, and a personal injury lawyer will assist you in the process.
How Does a Car Accident Settlement Work?
Many of the car accidents that occur in the State of Florida will result in a settlement. The definition of a settlement is a certain amount of money that you and your insurance company will agree upon to resolve the claim. When you agree on a settlement, you give up the right to file a car accident lawsuit.
Keep in mind that the first settlement offer is usually the least amount of compensation that you could get. A personal injury lawyer will play an essential role in negotiating and making sure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation that you are owed. They will also wait until the extent of your injuries are fully formed before any settlement is agreed upon. It is important that you confide in your personal injury lawyer and let them review any offers you receive before you think about accepting them.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Do I Do Following a Car Accident?
It is very easy to become overwhelmed after you have been involved in a car accident. However, you can always contact a personal injury lawyer from The Law Place who will guide you through the legal system and give you the best possible chance of securing the highest amount of compensation.
We recommend that you follow these steps after your car crash in the State of Florida:
- Put your safety first – Remember to stay calm and make sure that your health and safety is your number one priority.
- Check on others – If you are uninjured, then offer assistance to passengers and other drivers who were injured in the accident. Do not move anyone who has sustained any serious injuries, such as to the head, neck, or spine.
- Call the police – Florida Statute 316.062 states that you are required to call the police to the scene of the accident.
- Call an ambulance – If you or anyone else is injured, then you must call an ambulance immediately.
- Collect information – If you are in a safe position to do so, gather evidence. Take pictures of the location of the accident, the damage to the vehicles, and the condition of the road. Then collect the contact information of all the drivers involved, such as their names, addresses, phone numbers, and vehicle registration numbers.
- Eyewitnesses – If there was anyone else present at the car accident, collect their contact information. Their statements could support your claim for compensation.
- Medical treatment – You might not think that going to the hospital is necessary, especially if you did not sustain any serious injuries. However, it is crucial for your case that you seek medical attention quickly, as you will need the medical records to support your personal injury claim.
- Speak to your insurance company – Following your involvement in a car crash, you must notify your insurance company of the accident within 24 hours (or the specified period written in your policy). Remember not to make any statement about your crash to your insurance company, as they can potentially use this information to offer you a lesser settlement. A personal injury lawyer from The Law Place can even speak to your insurance company on your behalf.
- Keep a journal – It is worth keeping a journal and documenting the extent of your injuries, pain and suffering, adjustments to your daily life, and more. This will be useful in the hands of the right personal injury lawyer in your claim for compensation.
- Police report – You must get a copy of the police report from the day of the accident. This will help to substantiate your claim.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer – It is very important that you hire a personal injury lawyer from The Law Place who has the necessary skills and knowledge to handle your case and fight for the compensation that you deserve.
Why Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
It is not necessary for you to file a lawsuit following a car accident. However, it is highly recommended that you seek legal representation from a reputable law firm like The Law Place to protect your best interests.
Many insurance companies and insurance adjusters are well-equipped when it comes to reducing payouts for accidents. It is not unusual for insurance companies to dismiss a legal claim over minor issues, which is why you need the support of a car accident lawyer to counter their arguments. Most insurance adjusters will pressure you into accepting a settlement offer that is a lot less than what your case is worth.
The Law Place has a team of personal injury attorneys who have the necessary knowledge and awareness of Florida law to help you navigate through the legal system. It is very important that you confide in your car accident attorney and inform them of every little detail concerning your case, as this will increase the value of your personal injury claim.
What Can The Law Place Do for Me?
The Law Place has managed to help hundreds of clients file personal injury claims and win compensation over the past seventy-five years. Our personal injury attorneys will delve into all of the aspects surrounding your case, which includes:
- Investigating the facts and circumstances of your car accident.
- Determining who was at fault for your car crash.
- Collecting every piece of evidence to develop a strong case.
- Speaking to your doctors to figure out the severity of your injuries and the potential long term effects.
- Negotiating with insurance companies.
- Keeping you up to date on the progression of your case.
- Offering you the advice that you need to make informed decisions about settlement deals and other important aspects of your case.
- Agreeing on a settlement that covers all of your past, present, and future costs.
Contact The Law Place Today
If you are under pressure to make decisions following your car accident, then we highly recommend that you seek legal counsel as soon as possible. No one should have to suffer alone, and we want to make sure that you are compensated for all of your damages.
The Law Place has over seventy-five years of combined experience in tackling insurance companies and winning compensation for clients throughout the State of Florida. Our law firm specializes in helping clients who are going through difficult times, and we want to be the ones to win the compensation that you deserve. Our team of car accident attorneys will protect your legal rights and make sure that you do not lose out on valuable compensation that you need to cover the costs following your car accident.
Rest assured that we will handle your case efficiently and fill you in every step of the way. Your recovery should be your number one priority, which is why our team of car accident lawyers will handle all of the necessary paperwork and negotiate with your insurance company on your behalf.
Reach out to The Law Place today. Our phones are open 24/7, and we are ready to take on your case.
Contact us now at (941) 444-4444to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight your car accident together in the State of Florida.