Motorcycles are undoubtedly a popular mode of transport in Florida, particularly given the good weather and straight roads. However, motorcycles are involved in collisions in Sarasota and throughout Florida every day. In fact, there are over 10,000 motorcycle accidents in Florida every year. Motorcycles have a higher risk of causing catastrophic damage and serious injuries for many reasons, particularly as they are less stable and less protected than other vehicles, as well as less visible to other drivers.
If you have been involved in an accident involving a motorcycle, then you can seek compensation for any injuries or damages you suffered. For your best chance at receiving the compensation you deserve, contact The Law Place today. Our law firm has many years of experience with personal injury cases involving motorcycle accidents. Call us today to arrange a free consultation and case evaluation.
Our lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so contact us today at (941) 444-4444.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
Automobile accidents are, in general, very common in Sarasota, Florida, and can happen for many reasons. Motorcycles are even more likely to be involved in collisions than passenger vehicles due to factors such as their reduced visibility to other drivers. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle crashes are disobeying right of way laws or straying from the line of travel. The type of accident most likely to be fatal for a motorcycle is a head-on collision. This most frequently occurs on a two-way road, for example, when a motorcyclist weaves into the other lane to overtake a car or where a vehicle has turned in front of another without right of way.
Other common causes of accidents involving motorcycles are:
- A vehicle moving into the path of a motorcycle.
- A motorcycle straying from the line of travel.
- A motorcycle coming across road hazards, such as a pothole or loose gravel. As motorcycles are smaller in size and less stable, they are more likely to lose control.
- A driver failing to notice a motorcycle due to distraction.
- A driver failing to notice a motorcycle due to the effects of alcohol or drugs.
- A motorcycle rider driving recklessly.
- A motorcycle rider driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Collisions involving motorcycles can occur for different reasons other than vehicle accidents. Regardless of how the accident came about, we believe in seeking justice for victims of reckless driving. If you have suffered injuries from a collision that involved a motorcycle, you should seek the compensation you deserve. Call us today for free, no-obligation legal advice.
For a free legal consultation, call 941-444-4444
Common Injuries Following a Motorcycle Collision
Motorcycles are a particularly dangerous type of vehicle, where even minor accidents can have life-changing consequences. Motorcycle riders are more vulnerable than bigger, more robust vehicles, such as cars and trucks. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) reported that motorcyclist fatalities were 27 times more likely than passenger car occupant fatalities in 2017. One reason for this is that motorcycles are less stable than cars and have less physical protection, leaving motorcycle riders more vulnerable to the surrounding environment. The chance of suffering a fatal head injury is greatly increased if the rider is not wearing a helmet or is wearing an ill-fitting helmet. The Center for Disease Control reported that wearing a helmet while riding a motorbike reduces your risk of death by 37%. Some common injuries following a collision involving a motorcycle include:
- Broken or fractured bones.
- Cuts, lacerations, and abrasions.
- Traumatic brain injuries.
- Crush injuries.
- Permanent disability.
- Internal injuries.
If you have suffered any of these because of a motorcycle or car accident, you should seek legal advice to determine the value of your potential claim.
What Damages Are Available to Claim After Motorcycle Accidents?
Out of the automobile accidents that can occur, motorcycle collisions can be one of the most dangerous types due to the limited protection that a motorcycle provides its rider. If you were a victim of an accident in Sarasota involving a motorcycle, we know that no amount of money can repair the trauma and suffering you might have endured. However, we are here to help you. One of our experienced personal injury lawyers may be able to help you win compensation for the following damages:
- Medical bills – Crashes involving a car and motorcycle can lead to serious injury, which can mean surgery, medication, and long-term treatment. It’s an unfortunate fact that in America today, medical bills related to injuries are a leading cause of financial instability and bankruptcy. The injuries sustained from a collision are stressful enough without this added financial burden. A personal injury lawyer can help you to claim compensation for a range of costs, including physical therapy and home adjustments.
- Pain/suffering – For less tangible types of harm, such as emotional distress, our attorneys can help you to calculate the extent of this suffering and its corresponding value, as well as fight for your compensation.
- Loss of earnings and potential future earnings – If injuries sustained from a collision mean that you have to take time off work, you can seek compensation for this loss of income. If the injuries could impact your ability to work in the future, this is another type of compensation that a personal injury lawyer can help you to calculate.
- Property damage – If the crash caused damage to your clothes, helmet, vehicle, or other items, then you may be able to claim the cost of repairing or replacing them.
- Wrongful death. According to Florida Statute 768.21, if you have lost a family member in a motor accident, you deserve compensation.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Who Can Claim Compensation Following a Collision Involving a Motorcycle?
If you have been in an accident that wasn’t your fault that involved a motorbike in Sarasota, Florida, you may have the right to claim compensation. Regardless of whether the victim was a motorcycle rider or if the victim was wearing a helmet, the person that was responsible for the accident can owe compensation to the victim. In line with Florida Statute 627.736, all motorists in Florida are required by law to carry PIP coverage for themselves. However, this only covers up to 80% of your medical bills, and severe injuries following this sort of accident could leave the victim with huge expenses that this insurance couldn’t fully cover. If the accident was not your fault, we advise you to seek financial compensation through a personal injury attorney.
To be entitled to receive compensation following a motorcycle crash, you will need to have proof that the other party was to blame for the accident. Insurance companies are highly experienced in finding ways to minimize their payouts, such as claiming you were at fault. One of our experienced personal injury lawyers can help to prove that you were not at fault and will give you their full support throughout the legal process.
Reckless driving in a car or a motorbike is unacceptable and puts others on the road at serious risk. The negligent party must be expected to deal with these consequences. Call us today for a free consultation, and we will help you to calculate how much you could be owed.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help You Following a Motorcycle Accident?
Life following a motor accident can be extremely stressful, but having a personal injury lawyer can reduce that stress. After a free phone consultation with us, we hope you will let us represent your case. An attorney will then carry out an in-depth review of your case, collect relevant case evidence, and contact witnesses as well as the involved insurance companies. They will calculate the compensation that you are entitled to in order to achieve a fair court settlement from the other party’s insurance company. Our team has a lot of experience dealing with insurance firms, who will often try to minimize their payouts, for example, by downplaying your injuries. We will help you during every step of the process to give you the best chance of winning the compensation you are entitled to.
With our contingency fee payment structure, you can be assured that you won’t have to pay anything upfront, and any fees will be taken from your final settlement.
Contact The Law Place Today
We understand how stressful crashes can be, and we are here to help. We have a team of dedicated injury attorneys that have extensive experience with motorcycle collision cases. If you have been in a collision involving a motorcycle in Sarasota that wasn’t your fault, we can help you to fight for the compensation you deserve so that you can focus on your recovery. Contact our firm today for a free case evaluation and consultation.
Our lines are open 24 hours a day, so call us today at (941) 444-4444.
Call or text 941-444-4444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form