Florida, otherwise known as the Sunshine State, welcomes outdoor enthusiasts all year round. It is not uncommon to see lots of bicyclists on the road at any point throughout the year. People in Florida, due to the optimal weather conditions, cycle for exercise, avoid traffic or parking, save money, and soak up the sun. Unfortunately, because of the high amounts of cyclists on the road, this means that Florida has the most bicycle accident deaths in the United States.
A lot of cyclists are unsure whether they are entitled to pursue a personal injury case when in a cycling accident. They don’t know if hiring a bicycle accident lawyer is worth it. We are here to tell you that you should hire a bicycle accident lawyer, as they will be able to help you get the compensation you rightfully deserve.
At The Law Place, we have over 75 years of combined experience in helping people in cases that are similar to yours. Throughout the years of service, our law firm has built a strong attorney-client relationship. We strive to put our clients at the heart of the work we do. If you or a loved one have been involved in a bicycle accident, do not hesitate to get in touch with us. You will receive a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer. They will be able to guide you through the legal process, offering legal advice for your personal injury case.
Call us today to schedule a free consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer from our law firm at (941) 444-4444. Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What Should I Do if I’ve Been Involved in a Bicycle Accident?
Following an accident, there are steps that you should follow in order to ensure that you are successful in your insurance claim. They are also in place to keep you safe. These include the following:
- Seek medical attention – This is the most important step for your safety following the accident. Even if you appear to be lightly scratched or do not have any severe injuries, it is still important to seek medical attention as soon as possible to make sure you are well.
- Contact law enforcement – Once you have ensured your own safety, you should call the police to report the accident as soon as possible. Upon arrival, they will draw up a police report that will include your personal details and the at-fault party’s details also. They will also take statements from the other parties involved about what occurred.
- Remain at the accident scene – It is important that you remain at the accident scene until law enforcement arrives. This is to ensure your own safety and to make sure you can give an adequate account of what happened to them.
- Gather evidence – It is important that you gather as much evidence from the accident scene as possible. This includes photographs of physical injuries, your bicycle, and any other physical evidence that might be important at the scene. Additionally, you should take the contact information from any witnesses at the scene and the insurance contact information from the other parties involved.
- Contact a legal professional – Once you have done the above steps, you should call a personal injury attorney immediately. They can advise you on whether or not you can seek financial compensation for your biking accident.
What Are the Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Florida?
Listed below are some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents in Florida:
- A driver’s negligence – If another driver is driving under the influence (DUI), speeding, tailgating, or otherwise not following the rules of the road, it is likely for an accident to occur.
- Failure to yield – This is one of the most common causes. Many drivers fail to yield and do not look for bicycle riders when turning. This results in a serious road accident happening.
- Poor visibility – At night or in poor weather conditions, visibility on the road decreases. As a bicycle rider, it is crucial that you make yourself visible at all times. This can be done by having lights on your bicycle and wearing reflective cycling gear.
- Poor road conditions – It is possible for bike accidents to be caused by bad road conditions such as potholes and poor surfacing.
- A lack of bike lanes – If there is no cycle lane present, riders are required to cycle on the main road. As a car driver, you must leave enough room for cyclists. Many often fail to do so, which results in an accident.
No matter the cause of your accident, you may still be entitled to compensation. If you have been hit by a car while riding your bicycle, get in contact with a bicycle accident lawyer from The Law Place. You can schedule a free consultation and decide if you would like to pursue legal representation.
Insurance Companies in Florida
Following an accident in the State of Florida, you are required to seek compensation from your own insurance company. This is found in the state’s no-fault laws.
If you have your own personal injury protection in place, your insurance company will cover up to 80% of your medical expenses and property damage. If your insurance does not cover enough, then, as found in Florida Statute 627.736, the insurance company of the at-fault party could also compensate your damages. In order for this to happen, you must be successful in proving their negligence.
It is no secret that insurance companies can be difficult to deal with. Their top priority is to make a profit, and they will not have the client’s best interests at heart. It is important that you do not divulge too much information to them, as they can use this to devalue your claim entirely, and you do not want this extra financial risk. For this reason, it is important to have a bike accident lawyer on your side. They are well-versed in the law surrounding these cases and will be able to negotiate on your behalf.
What Type of Damages Can Be Claimed in a Bicycle Accident Case?
In most cycling accidents, the compensation you can recover will depend on the damages it has caused. An experienced bike accident lawyer will be able to guide you through the entire process, ensuring you receive the maximum claim you are entitled to. Listed below are some of the damages a bike accident lawyer can help you with:
- Medical bills – If you have sustained injuries as a result of the accident, you are entitled to compensation. It is important to keep any medical records, bills, etc., as your personal injury lawyer can use these as evidence for your compensation.
- Lost wages – You can get compensation to cover any wages you’ve lost as a result of missing work due to injuries. This can also include any potential future earnings.
- Property damage – If your bicycle was damaged in the accident, you could recover damages to cover repair costs or bike repairs.
- Pain and suffering – Getting hit by a car is traumatic, and most cyclists suffer much more than physical injuries. By suing for pain and suffering damages, you can get compensated for any emotional or physical distress you have suffered from the crash, which can include a general loss of enjoyment in life or mental anguish. Although pain and suffering seem harder to prove, it does not mean you do not deserve this financial support.
- Wrongful death – In the worst cases, lives can be lost in motor vehicle accidents. While we understand that no amount of compensation will take away this pain, it is important to avoid any added financial burden. An experienced lawyer will be able to win this case for you, and that money can go towards funeral costs and a loss of consortium to relieve some of the financial stress of losing a family member.
If you or a loved one have been hit by a car while riding a bicycle, it is important that you receive the fair settlement that you deserve. At The Law Place, we are here to help you. A bicycle accident lawyer will be able to recover any damages from your accident. So, do not hesitate to contact us. Call us for a free case review in order to talk about the damages available from your case.
Why Should I Hire a Lawyer for My Personal Injury Lawsuit?
You might be wondering if hiring a lawyer for your personal injury case is the right decision. Following an accident, it is likely that you have been left financially strained because of medical bills or lost wages, and the idea of dealing with attorneys only seems more stressful.
This is where you are wrong. We at The Law Place work on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning that if we are unsuccessful in winning your case, you will not lose any money. If we are successful and you are awarded compensation for your injuries, we will deduct our fees from your settlement, which are always guaranteed to be at a fair and reasonable rate.
The Florida legal system can be complicated, especially when trying to navigate it on your own. If you have support from a personal injury lawyer, you run less risk of losing your case. They can take care of all the legal aspects, so you don’t have to. Gathering evidence, being able to discuss the case with insurance companies – they will do all of this on your behalf so you can stay safe legally and recover from this stressful ordeal. Although it is possible to pursue a personal injury case without legal assistance, it is highly recommended that you hire one of our personal injury lawyers to help you with your case.
Contact The Law Place Today
Unfortunately, bicycle accidents occur daily, and the victims are often left to pay huge costs for their injuries without receiving the compensation they rightfully deserve.
If you or a loved one have been involved in a bike accident in Florida and believes you are entitled to compensation for your injuries or damages, you should contact The Law Place immediately. We are a reputable law firm who have over 75 years of experience. Once you get in touch with us, we will explain your legal rights and help you begin to seek damages from the other parties involved.
We offer everyone a free consultation so that they can have honest legal advice. Call us today at (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free case review with one of our attorneys. Our phone lines are always open, so there is never a bad time to contact us.