After being involved in an accident due to the negligence of another individual, victims often seek legal representation in order to receive the highest amount of compensation possible. Relying on a team of legal professionals can significantly increase the chances of receiving a higher amount of compensation for a victim’s claim. Expenses that are usually incurred following an accident, including medical bills, can be financially draining. Therefore, many accident victims seek legal representation in order to receive compensation and recover these costs.
However, some victims of accidents are sometimes hesitant to hire a Sarasota personal injury attorney due to the high costs they assume personal injury attorneys charge. At The Law Place, we only charge for our legal services if we have been successful in winning our client’s case. In fact, most law firms in Florida operate on this no-win-no-fee system. Having said this, with over 75 years of experience in personal injury law, we believe our attorneys at The Law Place are best suited to deal with your case, and our track record of winning cases such as yours supports this.
If you would like to receive more information about our contingency fee agreement or have any other doubts or questions, don’t hesitate to contact us! Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you can call us whenever it suits you best. Contact us at (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers today.
In This Article
- What Is a Contingency Fee?
- How Are Contingency Fees Determined?
- How to Agree to a Contingency Fee
- Other Payments That Could Be Deducted From the Final Settlement
- What Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Do for Me?
- Damages You Can Claim With the Help of a Personal Injury Lawyer
- Contact The Law Place Today
What Is a Contingency Fee?
A contingency fee is a fee that can only be charged if the outcome of a case is favorable. In other words, only if a personal injury lawyer is successful in winning your case can they take a percentage of the final settlement. Normally, when a personal injury lawyer agrees to take on your case, they believe it to be strong enough to win. Once the case has been won, the attorney will take an already agreed-upon percentage of the compensation received. This ensures that victims of accidents can try to obtain compensation without having to worry about the costs that may follow.
For a free legal consultation, call 941-444-4444
How Are Contingency Fees Determined?
In the State of Florida, contingency fees and agreements are regulated by The State Bar Association. Contingency fees are regulated in order to prevent some law firms from overcharging their clients. The State Bar Association cap the amount an attorney can charge for their services depending on the circumstances surrounding the case. Factors that can determine a contingency fee include:
- Personal injury cases that are settled before a lawsuit complaint – If the case can be settled before the defendant answers the lawsuit complaint, then the maximum amount that a personal injury lawyer can charge for their services is 33% of up to $1 million. For example, if the claimant is awarded $100,000 for their case, the personal injury attorney will receive $33,000. If the final settlement is decided to be between $1 million to $2 million, the attorney will receive 30%. If the settlements rewarded surpass $2 million, they could claim a further 20% of any amount of compensation that exceeds $2 million.
- Personal injury cases that go to trial – If the case goes to trial or if the defendant answers the lawsuit complaint within 20 days of it being filed, the contingency fees will differ. In this case, an attorney is entitled to claim 40% of the compensation that a claimant is awarded up to $1 million. For example, if a judge determines the final settlement to be $50,000, the attorney can claim $20,000 of this sum. In the case that the compensation awarded to the claimant stands between $1 million and $2 million, a personal injury lawyer is entitled to claim 30% of this sum too. If the sum then surpasses $2 million, a law firm can charge a 20% contingency fee.
- Personal injury cases that are appealed – In the case that a personal injury case is appealed, an attorney will be entitled to an additional 5% of the final settlement.
How to Agree to a Contingency Fee
When discussing your case with your personal injury lawyer, you will be informed about the contingency fee that will be charged if your case is successful. All contingency agreements must be in writing and are legally binding contracts. Having said this, you have three days to cancel your contingency agreement, and you typically will not be charged for any legal services providing that the contract was canceled within the time frame and was filed in writing. Any extra expenses and payments that don’t include legal fees will be deducted from the final settlement and will be agreed upon upfront in your contingency contract.
Other Payments That Could Be Deducted From the Final Settlement
It’s important to note that other payments, as well as legal fees, could be deducted from your final settlement. If the legal team believes your case to be strong enough, the law firm will cover any costs and expenses that you incur while dealing with your case.
The following list offers an idea of expenses that are commonly deducted from the final total settlement:
- Research fees.
- Copying charges.
- Deposition costs.
- Expert witness costs.
- Fax charges.
- Filing fees.
- Investigator services.
- Mediation expenses.
- Consultation with medical professionals.
- Messenger charges.
- Travel expenses including car hire fees, gasoline, and public transport costs.
- Telephone charges.
If you have been involved in an accident and seek compensation, you will only be charged for our services if our personal injury attorneys are successful in winning your case. The legal fees, as well as other costs that may be incurred during the legal process, are agreed upon when determining your contingency fee arrangement. These fees are then deducted from the final settlement awarded to the claimant. In other words, our clients will never have to pay out of their own pocket to cover the costs of hiring legal representation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Do for Me?
Hiring legal representation is crucial to receive the highest amount of compensation possible for your accident. Our team of personal injury lawyers assists our clients with the complex Florida legal process and offers help and guidance so that they feel confident in moving forward with their cases. You will receive a free case evaluation during your initial consultation with a top lawyer in order to determine if you are eligible to receive compensation. Our attorneys at The Law Place have a combined experience of over 75 years practicing in the Florida legal system. Therefore, they have all the expertise and experience required to ensure you have the best opportunity to get the compensation that you deserve.
After your free consultation, one of our lawyers will collect all the evidence available in order to strengthen your case. Evidence that can be useful in doing this includes photos of the accident site, eyewitness statements, and information on road signs, if applicable. By gathering important evidence, an attorney may be able to prove negligence from the at-fault party, which will increase the likelihood of being successful in your case. What’s more, our legal team will deal with any paperwork and help with filing claims so that you won’t have to worry about legal documentation and the complexities of Florida’s laws and regulations involving paperwork and contracts.
Normally, if a victim of an accident files a lawsuit, insurance providers will try to avoid paying out a large payment. Our attorneys will deal with the defendant’s insurance company to ensure you do not lose the compensation that you deserve. Our attorneys lead negotiations with these insurance providers and will not hesitate to face your insurance company in court if necessary.
Damages You Can Claim With the Help of a Personal Injury Lawyer
Hiring a personal injury attorney is essential to receive compensation for your injuries. After your initial consultation, an attorney at The Law Place will be able to determine what damages you could be able to recover as a result of your accident. Receiving compensation after an accident can help cover the costs of these damages.
Damages that can be claimed following a personal injury accident include:
- Medical bills – Injuries sustained from an accident can be very serious, and medical care to treat these injuries can be very expensive. If you have been injured due to an accident and had to cover the costs of medical treatments such as medication and surgery, you may be able to recover these expenses with the help of an attorney.
- Lost wages – You may be able to recover the losses of income you have experienced as a result of not being able to work.
- Property damage – After reviewing your case, an attorney can determine how much you may be owed for damages to property such as your vehicle and other personal possessions, including a cell phone.
- Pain and suffering – Pain and suffering can involve both physical and physiological pain, including grief, anxiety, and stress. If your quality of life has significantly declined due to your accident, you may be able to claim compensation for this.
- Wrongful death – If you have lost a loved one after an accident, you may be able to receive compensation and cover expenses, including funeral costs, as per Florida Statute 768.21.
The aftermath of an accident can be financially crippling for many victims. Therefore, at The Law Place, we won’t charge for our services unless we are successful in recovering the financial damages incurred as a result of your accident. We do this so that you won’t have to worry about covering legal fees while recovering from your accident.
Contact The Law Place Today
If you have suffered from an accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be entitled to compensation. Our team of professional personal injury lawyers will work tirelessly to win compensation for your injuries, both physical and psychological. We highly recommend seeking legal representation in order to receive the highest amount of compensation possible for your case. Only if the outcome of your case is positive and we are successful in winning you compensation will you be charged legal fees.
After your free consultation, an attorney will review your case and determine if you have a personal injury claim. We understand that the Florida law system can be confusing and complex. However, with the guidance and knowledge of our experienced lawyers, you will be constantly updated and informed on the legal proceedings of your case. At our law firm, we believe it is extremely important that our clients understand and are up to date on their case’s progress.
At The Law Place, we believe in consistent and open communication with our clients. Therefore, we keep our phone lines open 24/7, so there is always a legal professional to talk to whenever you’re ready to call us and discuss your case. Contact our law office today at (941) 444-4444 for a free consultation regarding your case and to receive invaluable legal advice.