Getting into an accident is never fun. Even without injuries, tensions and tempers can rise and bubble over, causing a situation that can be stressful for everyone. This regularly happens when the accident is a rear-end collision. This type of accident is usually very one-sided, with the person at the rear taking the blame in the majority of cases. Every single year, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV) reports around 1.7 million rear-end accidents. This makes up a staggering 29% of all accidents for the year.
The injuries caused by a high-speed rear-end collision can be life-altering, forcing a change in lifestyle and life-quality for those involved and their families. This can be both through the actual injury, which may affect the victim for life, or through the quickly rising medical bills that can follow.
We don’t think it is fair that anyone suffers this without compensation. With over 75 years of combined experience fighting for the rights of our clients, the team here at The Law Place will fight to seek the rightful compensation you deserve following an accident that wasn’t your fault.
Call us today to schedule a free consultation on (941) 444-4444. We are ready to get started on your case and fight for the justice that you deserve.
What Causes a Rear-End Collision?
In simple terms, a rear-end collision is one where a driver crashes into the back of a vehicle in front of them.
This is a common crash type and is commonly caused by:
- Tailgating – This is where a driver is following another driver too closely. This reduces the time they have to react in case of a sudden stop. Cars do not stop instantly, and no matter how alert the driver is, tailgating is a sure-fire way to cause an accident. Tailgating is so serious that the State of Florida has made it illegal.
- Distracted driving – Using your mobile phone, changing the music, eating food, and messing around with your GPS all create distracted driving. Distracted driving is defined as anything that takes your eyes or mind off the road. Distracted driving is dangerous as a driver may fail to see the events unfolding in front of them. This can cause a rear-end collision, amongst other things.
- DUI/DWI – Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can slow your reaction time and distract you from your driving.
- Speeding – The speed limit is set for a reason. This is so that cars can react quickly enough to sudden events and stop in time. As soon as you break the speed limit, you reduce your chances of doing this.
All of the above can count as negligence and may be enough reason for you to seek compensation from the other driver. Your best option is to seek the help of a skilled car accident law firm and their personal injury lawyers.
For a free legal consultation with a rear-end collisions lawyer serving South Bradenton, call 941-444-4444
What to Do if You’ve Been Involved in a South Bradenton Rear-End Collision
Here are the steps you should follow if you are in a rear-end collision as well as any other type of car accident.
The first thing you must do is to focus on your safety and wellbeing. Before you think of anything else, if you are able, get to a safe location at the side of the road and call for emergency services. If you have the ability to do so, try and ensure the safety of others too, but make sure this does not endanger you.
If you are safe and your injuries allow, make sure that you exchange information with the other driver. You should also begin to collect your own evidence. Rear-end collisions are usually pretty open and shut cases, but having evidence will always be beneficial.
Take pictures of the scene of the accident and the cars involved. Collect witness information from anyone who is willing to get it. Note the badge numbers of any law enforcement officer that arrives at the scene and draw a sketch of the accident. All of these will help ensure that your case is strong and may help you claim a higher compensatory figure.
At this point, you should call a skilled accident lawyer as soon as possible. The sooner, the better, as they will be able to act quicker and inform you of what to do next.
Following the accident, you must keep all medical bills, records of any time off, and document any pain and suffering or effects on your daily life. These will be used to calculate compensation figures later on down the line.
South Bradenton Rear-End Collisions Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Potential Injuries From a Rear-End Accident in South Bradenton
Rear-end accidents often cause injury to the driver and their passengers due to the nature of the impact. In South Bradenton, we regularly see the following injuries.
Other Potential Consequences
It isn’t just injuries that we deal with either. Rear-end collisions often cause pretty serious vehicle damage. In the most severe of cases, the car can be a total write off.
We will help you seek compensation for any damages done to your vehicle as well as your person.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Liability in Rear-End Collisions
Florida follows “rebuttable presumption.” This states that the rear driver will automatically be at-fault and will have to prove otherwise. This is different from most car-accidents but makes it a lot easier when it comes to claiming.
The other driver may try to argue that the driver in front did something wrong that played a part in the accident. Common arguments for this are:
- The front driver stops suddenly or unexpectedly.
- The leading vehicle was put in reverse.
- The car breaks down, causing the vehicle to come to a sudden stop.
- The leading driver was driving recklessly.
- The front vehicle’s brake lights were not working.
If you have suffered damage or injury following an accident where you were the front driver, you might be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, property damage, and pain and suffering. Contact an accident lawyer at The Law Place today.
Damages in a Rear-End Collisions
In the State of Florida, following an accident, you are entitled to seek compensation for the following damages:
- Special damages – Special damages are those damages that can be easily proved and added up with a calculator, like lost wages, medical bills, and damage to your car.
- General damages – General damages are non-economic losses. Instead, these damages stem from physical and mental pain and suffering.
- Multiple defendants – If a claim has multiple defendants represented by different insurance companies, it may increase the value of a settlement since there will naturally be more coverage for your injuries. Rear-end collisions often involve multiple cars, so this a very real possibility.
Contact a Florida Rear-End Collision Lawyer Today
We highly recommend you seek the help of a skilled personal injury law firm in the event of an auto accident. You have the right to seek compensation for your damages and injuries, especially when it wasn’t your fault.
Our law firm has a wealth of experience defending clients just like you. We will offer unbiased legal advice and guide you through the process in a calm and collected manner.
If you have been injured in a rear-end collision accident, contact The Law Place today at (941) 444-4444 for a free consultation. Our law firm is ready to get started on your case and fight for the justice you deserve.