Bicycles are a popular form of exercise and mode of transportation in the State of Florida. Riding a bike is good for the environment, and it is also a great way to avoid traffic, especially in cities with a lot of traffic. However, not all bicyclists are safe from the danger on the road.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that there were 783 cyclists were killed in motor vehicle accidents in the year 2017. They happened mainly in urban areas, and they occurred during rush hour when people were driving between work and home. The State of Florida suffered 125 cyclist deaths, while the state of California is close behind with the second most cyclist deaths (124) in the year 2017.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of collective experience and knowledge in handling bicycle accident cases throughout the State of Florida. If you are looking for a skilled bicycle accident lawyer, then you have come to the right place. Our team of bicycle accident attorneys is ready to take on your case and fight for your legal rights. Call our office to speak to a bicycle accident lawyer now. Our phone lines are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
Contact The Law Place on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation today.
In This Article
- When Should You Hire a Bicycle Accident Attorney?
- Bicycle Laws in the State of Florida
- Tips for Biking Safely
- What Should I do After a Bicycle Accident?
- Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
- Common Injuries Suffered in Bicycle Accidents
- The Duty of Care
- Compensation After a Bicycle Accident
- Contact The Law Place Today
When Should You Hire a Bicycle Accident Attorney?
If you were involved in a bicycle accident, then you are probably wondering when the right time is to hire a bicycle accident attorney. The Law Place highly recommends that you hire a bicycle accident attorney as soon as possible following a crash, especially if you have suffered serious injuries. It is important that you have legal representation after an accident or when you are facing one of the following situations:
- You sustained major injuries in the accident – If you suffered a serious injury, like a concussion, bone fracture, or other major injuries that require surgery, then you should absolutely seek the assistance of a bicycle accident lawyer. A bicycle accident lawyer from The Law Place will help you to win the compensation that you deserve.
- Your insurance company wants to reduce your compensation – It is not uncommon for insurance companies to find ways to reduce your compensation. An experienced bicycle accident attorney from The Law Place will make sure that you receive fair compensation, and they will fight your claim with the insurance company.
- Your insurance company denies your claim – In many cases, insurance companies will deny claims for various reasons like injury denial or the inability to prove liability following an accident.
- You need to determine fault for the accident – If you are having trouble determining liability for the accident, then you will need a bicycle accident attorney on your side to figure out who is at fault, especially if the accident involves multiple parties.
- You have questions about your bicycle accident claim – An experienced bicycle accident lawyer from The Law Place will be able to make a rough estimate of the amount of compensation you could be owed, and they will explain your legal rights.
For a free legal consultation, call 941-444-4444
Bicycle Laws in the State of Florida
Here are the laws on biking in the State of Florida:
- Bicycles are seen as vehicles.
- Bicyclists have to obey all traffic controls and signals.
- Bicyclists have to use a fixed, regular seat for biking.
- Bicyclists are not allowed to carry passengers on a bike that cannot hold more than one person.
- Parents must not let their children violate Florida’s provisions.
- All bicycles have to be equipped with a braking system.
- Bicyclists have the same rights and duties as a pedestrian when biking on the sidewalk.
- Bicycles must have a lamp when biking between sunset and sunrise.
- Bicyclists have to use the designated bike path when they are not riding at the same speed as other road users.
- You can read about other bicycle laws here.
Tips for Biking Safely
It is important that you take the necessary safety measures to ensure that you are safe on your bicycle. We recommend that you:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Put lights on the front and back of your bicycle.
- Wear bright, reflective clothes.
- Use hand signals when turning.
- Use a bell or yell when you are approaching pedestrians.
- Ride with traffic and try to make eye contact with other road users to make sure that they see you.
- Avoid busy streets and slow down at intersections.
- Do not hug the curb on narrow roads and ride close to the center.
- Follow the same rules of the road as other motor vehicles.
What Should I do After a Bicycle Accident?
It is imperative that you know what to do following a bicycle accident, especially if you want to seek compensation.
- Contact information – You must carry identification when riding a bicycle, such as a mobile phone or emergency contact information.
- Call the police – You have to call the police to the scene of an accident. A police officer will write a report of the crash, which will be a valuable piece of evidence for you later.
- Leave your bicycle – It is best to leave your bicycle in the same condition following the accident so that you can use the damage as evidence.
- Exchange information – You must exchange information with the other drivers involved in the accident, including their names, phone numbers, and other relevant information.
- Evidence – You should try to take photographs and videos of your injuries, bicycle, property damage, and the scene of the accident.
- Hire a bicycle accident lawyer – It is important that you have a bicycle accident lawyer on your side following an accident. A bicycle accident lawyer from The Law Place will protect your legal rights and fight for the compensation that you deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
The most common bicycle accidents consist of motor vehicle drivers who are between the ages of 20 and 24 years old. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) stated that 30 percent of bicyclists who were injured in an accident are usually struck by a car. More often than not, a driver does not leave enough room between their motor vehicle and the bicycle. The most common causes of bicycle accidents tend to include:
- Distracted driving.
- Careless driving.
- Drunk driving.
- Failure to yield.
- Running stop signs or stoplights.
- Dangerous road conditions.
- Bad weather,
- Bicyclists riding at night.
- “Dooring” (on busy streets, the bicyclist travels closer to parked cars, and sometimes a driver opens their car door and hits the bicyclist).
Common Injuries Suffered in Bicycle Accidents
A bicyclist will probably suffer more serious injuries in a collision with a car. The most common injuries that bicyclists tend to sustain include:
- Broken bones and fractures.
- Scarring and disfigurement.
- Neck and back injuries.
- Head and brain injuries.
- Face, eye, and dental injuries.
- Soft tissue injuries.
- Internal injuries.
The Duty of Care
If you were injured in an accident while riding your bicycle, then you will need an experienced personal injury attorney to defend your legal rights and prove that the other driver was negligent by establishing:
- Duty of care – A driver has a duty of care to travel safely and protect the safety of other road users.
- Breach – A driver broke their duty of care by failing to travel safely.
- Cause – A driver caused you to get involved in an accident.
- Damages – You suffered damages as a result of the driver breaching their duty of care.
Compensation After a Bicycle Accident
You are entitled to file a personal injury claim following a bicycle accident that was not your fault. An experienced attorney from The Law Place will help you to recover:
- Medical bills.
- Lost wages.
- Property damage.
- Pain and suffering.
- Wrongful death.
Contact The Law Place Today
If you or someone you know were involved in a bicycle accident, then you should seek legal counsel with a lawyer as soon as possible. You deserve to be compensated for all of the injuries and damages that you sustained, especially if the other driver was at fault.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of combined experience when it comes to protecting the legal rights of bicyclists who live all over the State of Florida. Our law firm will discuss the details of your case and help you to win the compensation that you deserve.
Contact The Law Place on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation today.