If you were involved in an accident that was not your fault, then you need the help of a St. Petersburg, personal injury lawyer. You could be owed compensation for a number of injuries, such as broken bones, burns, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and much more.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of combined experience and knowledge in managing personal injury claims for clients who live in St. Petersburg and throughout the State of Florida. Our team of personal injury lawyers has the necessary skills and resources to pursue compensation on your behalf following an accident.
Our law firm has managed accidents that range from car accidents, truck accidents, slip and fall accidents, and many other types of personal injury cases. We understand the financial burden on your shoulders following an accident, and we want to help you to secure compensation for physical pain, mental anguish, emotional trauma, loss of income, property damage, and other expenses. If you put your trust in us, we will fight to achieve justice for you and for your family, no matter what.
If you have questions in regard to your St. Petersburg personal injury case, then you can speak to one of our personal injury lawyers now. Our phone lines are open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week so that you can call us when you are ready.
Contact The Law Place on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation today, and a personal injury attorney will fight for the compensation that you deserve after an accident in St. Petersburg.
In This Article
- Why Choose The Law Place in St. Petersburg, FL?
- Types of Accidents That Cause a Personal Injury Claim in St. Petersburg, FL.
- Common Injuries That Are Sustained in Serious Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL.
- The Four Parts of Negligence in St. Petersburg, FL.
- The Timeline of the Florida Personal Injury Claim Process in St. Petersburg, FL.
- Compensation for a Personal Injury Claim in St. Petersburg, FL.
- What You Should Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL.
- What Is the Purpose of a Personal Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL?
- Other Aspects That a Personal Injury Lawyer Will Handle in St. Petersburg, FL.
- Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims in St. Petersburg, FL.
- Personal Injury Claim FAQs in St. Petersburg, FL.
- Contact The Law Place Today in St. Petersburg, FL.
Why Choose The Law Place in St. Petersburg, FL?
When you are seeking the assistance of a personal injury attorney, you should consider all of the relevant factors. You can even ask one of your friends or family members to recommend a good lawyer, but it might not always be the right lawyer for you. It is important that you take the time to get to know the personal injury attorney that you have chosen, and we strongly advise that you ask the following questions during a free consultation:
- Is the personal injury attorney familiar with the type of accident and injury that you sustained?
- Has the personal injury attorney litigated cases that were similar to your case?
- What fees does the personal injury attorney charge for their services?
- Does the personal injury attorney have the time and energy to invest in your case?
- Is the personal injury attorney an experienced litigator and skilled negotiator?
Our law firm understands the difficulties of your situation, and we want to assist you in exploring all of the available legal options. You can always pick up your phone and set up a free consultation with us now, in which a personal injury attorney will learn more about you and the accident. During the free consultation, you can ask every question that you have in mind, and we will do our best to answer them. Our phone lines are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
Types of Accidents That Cause a Personal Injury Claim in St. Petersburg, FL.
Personal injuries will vary depending on the type of situation and accident. Some accidents are more serious than other accidents. However, each and every one of them deserves to be compensated. The most common types of accidents that often lead to someone filing a personal injury claim include:
- Slip and fall accidents.
- Trip and fall accidents.
- Dog bite injury.
- Back and neck injury.
- Brain injury.
- Spinal cord injury.
- Burn injury.
- Medical malpractice.
- Birth injury.
- Scooter accidents.
- Pedestrian accidents.
- Car accidents.
- Bicycle accidents.
- Motorcycle accidents.
- Truck accidents.
- Train accidents.
- Aviation accidents.
- Bus accidents.
- Boating accidents.
- SUV accidents.
- Rideshare accidents.
- Uber and Lyft accidents
- Drunk driving accidents.
- Construction accidents.
- Work-related accidents.
- Premises liability.
- Property damage.
- Cast iron pipe damage claim.
- Nursing home abuse.
- Wrongful death cases.
- Sexual assault.
Common Injuries That Are Sustained in Serious Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL.
When someone else’s negligence results in an accident that leads you to sustain a serious injury, then you have the right to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. The most common types of injuries that people suffer in serious accidents include:
- Burns – An accident that results in a burn can cause intense pain and lead to other complications, such as an infection.
- Severe lacerations – An accident that results in severe lacerations can lead to blood loss, scars, and other types of complications.
- Broken bones – An accident that results in broken bones can cause a number of limitations in the life of the victim, including not being able to engage in daily tasks or go to work.
- Back and neck injury – An accident that results in a back and neck injury can make it difficult for the victim to engage in daily activities.
- Spinal cord injury – An accident that results in a spinal cord injury can cause paralysis in the area of the injury.
- Traumatic brain injury – An accident that results in a traumatic brain injury can lead to challenges with focus, concentration, memory, and other struggles.
- Drowning – An accident that results in a near-death experience involving drowning can cause limitations in the life of the victim, such as brain damage or even death.
The Four Parts of Negligence in St. Petersburg, FL.
You have to be able to prove that the person who acted in a negligent manner is the cause of your injuries and other damages. The four parts of negligence are known as:
- The duty of care.
- The breach of duty.
Duty of Care
Every person owes everyone else a duty of care under the law in the State of Florida.
The duty of care requires every person to act with reasonable care and take the necessary precautions to avoid a potential accident or putting another person in the middle of danger.
Breach of Duty
When a person acts in a negligent manner or fails to take the necessary precautions to avoid a potential accident, then they have breached their duty of care. The main question of breaching a duty of care is whether the person created a dangerous situation or did they allow a dangerous situation to carry on and fail to fix it?
You will need to hire a St. Petersburg personal injury attorney to help you with your case and establish that the other person acted in a negligent manner and breached their duty of care. A personal injury attorney will also have a responsibility to prove causation, which means proving that the breach of duty resulted in your injuries and other damages. A personal injury attorney from The Law Place will help you every step of the way.
Once a personal injury attorney has established liability, then they have to demonstrate the types of injuries and damages that you sustained. They will help you to secure compensation for physical, mental, and emotional damages. Our law firm will prove damages by collecting evidence such as:
- Police reports from the location of the accident.
- Statements from people who witnessed the accident.
- Accident scene reconstruction.
- Photographs or videos from the location of the accident.
- Opinions from other types of professionals.
The Law Place will gather all forms of evidence and documents that will support your pursuit for compensation following an accident in St. Petersburg.
The Timeline of the Florida Personal Injury Claim Process in St. Petersburg, FL.
A personal injury lawyer from The Law Place will talk you through the process of starting a personal injury claim. Our law firm will help your case by:
- Building a personal injury claim and filing it against the parties who were involved in the accident.
- Negotiating with insurance companies and other parties to agree on a reasonable settlement.
- Filing a lawsuit in court when a negotiation is unsuccessful.
- Proving that you deserve full compensation by litigating the case in court.
- Following another resolution or trying the case when the insurance company refuses to offer a favorable settlement.
Compensation for a Personal Injury Claim in St. Petersburg, FL.
When a person is injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, they deserve compensation to avoid becoming poor after an accident. The purpose of filing a personal injury claim is to compensate the person who was injured for all of the damages that they suffered in an accident that was not their fault.
Economic damages like surgery expenses and costs to repair or replace a motor vehicle are easy to calculate because they are proven by referencing bills, receipts, and invoices. However, there are other damages, known as non-economic damages, which can be harder to prove and evaluate, like physical pain, mental anguish, and emotional trauma. Here are the most common types of compensation that people can recover:
- Medical costs – You can recover compensation for surgery, hospitalization, visits to the doctor, rehabilitation, physical therapy, and other medical-related costs (past, present, and future).
- Lost income – You can recover compensation for money that you have lost as a result of being unable to work. Lost income can also include the times that you have to leave work to attend a hospital appointment on time or money that you lose in the future because you are unable to work as hard as you could before, or a reduced earning capacity as a result of having to change your job.
- Property damage – You can recover compensation for damage that has been caused to your motor vehicle or other types of property that were damaged in the accident, along with the costs to repair or replace the property.
- Pain and suffering – You can recover compensation for physical pain and discomfort after an accident when it affects your life and daily activities. Reduced quality of life includes emotional trauma, mental anguish, PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), depression, fear, anxiety, and other forms of pain and suffering.
- Wrongful death – You can recover compensation for funeral expenses, medical bills, property damage, pain and suffering, and more when you lose a loved one in an accident. Our law firm understands that it is never easy to heal from the pain or financial burden that has been left on your shoulders when someone that you love dies. Florida Statute 768.21 explains the laws surrounding wrongful death and how you can file a wrongful death claim.
What You Should Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL.
A St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer will be at your side every step of the way when you have been involved in an accident that was not your fault. Furthermore, they will also offer you insight and support to help you during this difficult time, along with fighting for the compensation that you are owed. However, you need to choose a personal injury lawyer that understands your best interests and makes you feel comfortable. Our law firm recommends that you look for the following qualities when you are hiring a St. Petersburg, personal injury lawyer for your case:
- Experience – A capable personal injury lawyer will have a long list of experience in regard to managing personal injury cases for people who live in the State of Florida.
- Trial – A capable personal injury lawyer will be prepared to go to trial with your case when a resolution cannot be made between the parties, along with having experience in managing trials and ensuring that your personal injury case is fully developed. In addition, they will push to win the maximum amount of compensation for all of the injuries and damages that you sustained.
- Friends and family – A capable personal injury lawyer could be recommended by one of your friends or family members.
- Settlement – A capable personal injury lawyer will have years of experience in regard to settling personal injury cases that are like your case.
- Reputation – A capable personal injury lawyer will be loved and respected by their community and among their peers. You could even search the internet to find more information on St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers who have good reviews and an upstanding reputation in the area.
What Is the Purpose of a Personal Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL?
The Law Place has a dedicated team of personal injury lawyers who are trained to deal with the most challenging cases across the board. Our personal injury lawyers have the necessary experience and knowledge to guide you through every step of the legal process. A St. Petersburg, personal injury attorney from The Law Place will also:
- Provide you with advice – A personal injury lawyer will guide their client through the legal system with skill and efficiency, regardless of the nature of their case. You should always let your personal injury lawyer do all of the talking, and they will also advise you to avoid giving details to anyone in regard to your case.
- Explain your rights – A personal injury lawyer will explain your legal rights, the nature of your accident, and the differing laws in every state.
- Represent you in court – A personal injury lawyer understands exactly what to say and how to say it, which is why they will be your legal representative and engage with the judge and jury on your behalf. Most cases tend to be settled out of court with the insurance company directly. However, there are some situations where a full trial is necessary in order to win a reasonable settlement. It is crucial that you have a personal injury lawyer on your side because the litigation process can be complicated.
- Conduct an investigation – A personal injury lawyer will perform a long investigation into the accident, speak to the people who witnessed the accident, and conclude a series of independent theories about how the accident occurred. In some cases, an investigation could require help from professionals, like an accident reconstruction specialist.
- Assess the damages – A personal injury lawyer will calculate the extent of your damages and determine the amount of compensation that you deserve following an accident in St. Petersburg.
- Communicate with professionals – A personal injury lawyer will rope in other specialists to support your case, such as a medical professional or accident reconstruction specialist who will offer statements and add value to your personal injury claim.
Other Aspects That a Personal Injury Lawyer Will Handle in St. Petersburg, FL.
A personal injury lawyer from The Law Place will be able to handle many other aspects in regard to your case, including:
- Preparing interrogations.
- Conducting negotiations with the insurance company.
- Analyzing insurance policies.
- Filing motions.
- Conducting depositions.
- Negotiating medical bills for their client.
- Preparing and drafting the summons and complaints.
- Filing any necessary claim forms.
- Obtaining and reviewing medical records.
- Analyzing and addressing the validity of liens against their client’s settlement.
- Creating exhibits for trial.
- Preparing the witnesses and client for trial.
- Analyzing the verdict and, if it is necessary, getting ready to appeal.
Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims in St. Petersburg, FL.
Every state in America follows a different statute of limitations.
People who have been hurt will have four years to file a personal injury claim from the date of their accident in the State of Florida. However, if someone you love was killed in an accident, then a surviving partner or family member will have two years to file a wrongful death claim from the date of their death.
If they fail to file a personal injury claim or a wrongful death claim within the time frame as stated, then their case will get thrown out by the court.
Florida Statute 95.11 explains the statute of limitations in the State of Florida.
Personal Injury Claim FAQs in St. Petersburg, FL.
How Long Will It Take to Resolve My Case?
The circumstances and facts surrounding your case, along with the severity of your injury, will determine the length of time that it will take to resolve your case in St. Petersburg.
For example, a simple case of a minor car accident can reach a final settlement within four months. However, a case involving wrongful death can take a few years to resolve, which means that our team of personal injury attorneys will have to work for hundreds of hours and invest thousands of dollars into resolving the case.
Do I Have to Go to Trial?
No, your case will most likely not go to trial, depending on the nature of the case. More often than not, personal injury claims will reach a settlement without filing a lawsuit or going through a process of litigation. However, there are times where the only way to reach a reasonable settlement is by going to court and taking the case to trial. Before we get ready to go to trial, our team of personal injury attorneys will explain all of your options and offer you advice to help you to make the decision that is right for you and your family.
If We Settle, How Much of the Settlement Will I Get?
The amount of compensation that you will be offered in a settlement will depend on the total of your damages and how much we have invested in order to settle the case.
If you call our office now, a personal injury lawyer will set up a free consultation where they will discuss the details of your case and answer every one of your questions in regard to a settlement.
Will I Be Responsible for Any Costs if We Lose at Trial?
If your case loses at trial, then you will not be held responsible for the costs. Our team of personal injury attorneys will cover all of the costs, including the fees of filing, professionals, and discovery expenses. On the other hand, if your case wins at trial, or we settle your case with success, then we will take our costs out of the jury’s award or the settlement that you receive.
Contact The Law Place Today in St. Petersburg, FL.
If you were hurt in an accident that was not your fault, then we strongly advise that you seek legal counsel from a personal injury lawyer in St. Petersburg. We understand the difficult nature of accidents, whether it was a car accident, a truck accident, or a slip and fall accident, and we want to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation that you and your family deserve.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of collective experience when it comes to winning compensation for clients who have been involved in accidents in St. Petersburg and all over the State of Florida. Our team of personal injury attorneys is highly trained to deal with complex cases, and we will explain the laws surrounding your case.
Our law firm has a long track record of success, and we have managed cases ranging from simple slip and fall cases to extremely serious car accidents. If you are looking for the best personal injury lawyer in town, then you have come to the right law firm. It is not fair that you and your family have to suffer as a result of someone else’s negligence. We empathize with your situation, and we want to ease the pressure by handling your personal injury case so that you can relax and take the time that you need to get better following an accident.
If you call our office now, a personal injury lawyer will review your case and offer you an honest piece of advice to help you make the decision that is right for you. In a free consultation, we will explain the legal options that you have available and answer all of your questions. If you ultimately decide that you want us to represent your case, then we will put up a strong fight and aggressively pursue the compensation that you are owed.
Contact The Law Place on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation today, and a personal injury attorney will fight for the compensation that you deserve after an accident in St. Petersburg.