With amazing beaches, gorgeous weather, and clear and uncongested highways, on paper, Fort Myers is a motorcyclist paradise. But unfortunately, the reality is pretty different.
Florida has the second-highest number of registered motorcycles in the United States but also leads in the US for bike-related deaths. Motorcycles make-up around one-fifth of all motor vehicle fatalities in the state. Despite this statistic, only one in seven motorcyclists wear a helmet, and one in five riders do not have motorcycle insurance. This is shocking information, especially when we know that a motorcycle accident is often caused by the negligence of the motorcycle driver.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a Fort Myers motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation. If you have suffered injuries through no fault of your own, contact The Law Place today at (941) 444-4444 for a free consultation.
Statistics on Florida Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents are common in Fort Myers and Florida as a whole. According to The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the year 2016:
- There were 600 fatal motorcycle accidents in Florida alone.
- Out of 10,331 motorcycle accidents, 600 were fatal.
- 8,256 drivers sustained injuries in motorcycle accidents.
- 191 were single-vehicle collisons.
- 409 of the fatal crashes involved another vehicle.
- 69.9% fatal motorcycle accidents that involved two veichles were head-on collisions.
- 11.7% of deadly, multi-vehicle motorcycle accidents were rear-end collisons.
- 31 were side-impact crashes (like side-swiping).
For a free legal consultation with a negligent motorcycle rider accidents lawyer serving Fort Myers, call 941-444-4444
Common Causes of a Fort Myers Motorcycle Accident
Driving Under the Influence
Riders who drive under the influence have the potential to cause catastrophic motorcycle accidents.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that the vast majority of fatal crashes involve at least one driver with a blood alcohol content. In fact, in 78% of accidents resulting in death, at least one of the drivers had a blood alcohol content of 0.01% or higher. In 16% of cases, one or more of the drivers’ tested with a blood alcohol content of 0.15% or higher.
Left Turn Accidents
The most common way a Fort Myers motorcycle accident can be caused is by a car turning left. It is critically important that motorcycle riders are very cautious when approaching these situations, as any wrong decision may result in a majorly severe motorcycle accident in Fort Myers.
A Fort Myers motorcycle accident will usually occur for the following reasons:
- A motorcycle will attempt to carry on straight at an intersection.
- A motorcycle will attempt to pass a car.
- A motorcycle will try to overtake a vehicle.
Motorcycle Lane Splitting
Lane splitting involves a motorcycle riding in between cars in an attempt to pass traffic. This is highly dangerous and is the cause of many Fort Myers road accidents.
A Motorcycle Rider Speeding
Exceeding the speed limit in any form is incredibly dangerous; however, when a motorcycle is involved, the consequences of a high-speed Fort Myres motorcycle accident may well be catastrophic. It is important that all drivers in Fort Myers stick to the speed limits for the safety of themselves and others on the road.
Unfortunately, when a high-performance “supersport” motorcycle is involved, things can rapidly go from bad to worse. These supersport motorcycles are racing motorcycles that have been modified for highway use and sold to the general public. They feature lightweight, powerful engines and more often than not, the rider using them lacks the training necessary to ride them safely.
These motorbikes have a startling rider fatality rate that is almost four times than that of accidents involving other types of motorcycles and, despite accounting for only 10 percent of the motorcycles in the US, they are involved in 25 percent of all fatal motorcycle crashes.
If you or someone you know have been motorcycle accident victims, you should contact The Law Place today in Florida, today. One of the motorcycle injury attorneys at our law firm will help you with your motorcycle injury case to ensure that you get the compensation that you deserve from an insurance company. You may be able to recover compensation for any medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering as a result of your accident injuries.
Fort Myers Negligent Motorcycle Rider Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
The Rules That Fort Myers Motorcyclists Must Abide By
All road users in Fort Myers, FL, must abide by the guidelines set out in The Florida Drivers Handbook. There are a few more rules that riders of a motorcycle must abide by due to their highest risk of injury.
All Fort Myers motorcycle drivers must:
- Wear a helmet if they are under the age of 21.
- Have a motorcycle license or motorcycle endorsement.
- Wear eye protection that is approved by the Florida Department of Transportation.
Unfortunately, these laws are not always followed by motorcycle riders, resulting in incredibly severe motorcycle accidents. If a motorcycle accident lawyer can prove that the motorcyclist breached any of these laws, you may be able to recover compensation from an insurance company for your motorcycle injury. Contact us today at The Law Place for a free consultation if you think you may have a case. One of our motorcycle accident attorneys will work as hard as they can to ensure that your personal injury case wins the compensation that you may be entitled to for your injuries.
What Can Motorcycle Accident Victims Claim Compensation For?
In any type of personal injury case, compensation can be awarded to victims for numerous reasons. With the help of a motorcycle accident lawyer at The Law Place, you will find out what damages your case would likely be eligible for. Most victims of motorcycle accidents may be able to recover compensation for the following:
- Medical bills – Any medical expenses that you have had to pay for injuries sustained in the accident. This may include surgery, an ambulance, and any other injury-related costs.
- Future bills – If a medical professional has identified a long-term injury as a result of the accident, this long-term injury will be accounted for.
- Loss of enjoyment – If the accident has caused you to change how you live your life, you may be owed compensation for your pain and suffering.
- Property damage – You can receive compensation for any damage to a car or to property and for anything in the vehicle that was damaged.
- House/vehicle adaptions – If the victim has had to adapt their home due to an injury, they can claim compensation for the expenses related to this.
- Wrongful death – If the accident caused the wrongful death of a loved one, then can claim for funeral expenses and sudden loss of income to a family household.
Florida’s Statute of Limitations is outlined in Florida Statutes 95.11. This law states that personal injury claims must be filed in the four years following the accident. If your Fort Myers motorcycle accident case resulted in the loss of life, you only have two years to file a compensation claim. This is why we highly recommend that you seek the help of an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer immediately after sustaining injuries in a motorcycle accident as you risk running out of time and never being able to claim for your injuries from an insurance company.
Contact us at The Law Place today and one of our personal injury lawyers in Florida will be able to give you all the legal help and guidance you may be seeking.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Determining Fault in a Fort Myers Motorcycle Accident Case
Determining who is at fault in a Fort Myers motorcycle accident is similar to any other type of road or car accident. A party will be deemed to be at fault in a Florida motorcycle accident if they have done something wrong to cause the accident.
Negligence covers actions such as speeding, distracted driving, and much more. If a party involved in an accident case is deemed to be so, the fault will likely lie with them. A party can also be found to be negligent if they have breached their duty of care or failed to exhibit the proper skill required to ride a motorcycle.
It is the duty of a personal injury lawyer to prove to an insurance company that a party was acting negligently and that it was their negligence which resulted in your accident and injury.
Contact us today if you or someone you know has suffered injuries as the result of another party’s negligence. Our law firm has a combined experience of over 75 years in dealing with accident cases, so you can be assured that your case will be in the most capable legal hands in Florida.
What to Do After Being Involved in a Road Accident in Fort Myers
After being involved in any road accident in Fort Myers, you should take the following steps to protect yourself and ensure you have enough evidence to make a personal injury claim if you need to.
- Safety – Make sure that you and any other persons involved in the accident are as safe as can be without endangering others. Move away from the scene and to the side of the road, away from on-coming traffic. When everyone is safe you can call the emergency services.
- Evidence – Once the police have been called and you are safe, you can start collecting your evidence. Begin by taking photos of everything around you, the crash scene, the other cars, and any injuries you have sustained. Ask for the other driver’s details, as well as those of any witnesses present at the time of the crash. Ask for their address, name, and in the case of the other driver, their insurance company.
- Sketch – If you can, sketch the accident scene. Draw the road you are and mark where each car was on the road at the time of the accident, and the direction they were travelling in.
- Medical aid– when you have your evidence you shoud to head to a hospital to be checked over. If you are going to claim for any injuries, they will need to be properly logged by a healthcare profesisonal. Some injuries become apparent later on and you will have a harder time claiming for them if you do not see medical professionals immediately. So even if you feel fine now you should still go.
- Consult– Now is the perfect time to get in touch with a reputable law firm. They will advise you on the best course of action to follow.
Time is always vital when you are talking about making a claim; the sooner you speak to your accident attorney, the sooner they can begin building your accident case, ready to negotiate for a better settlement. Get in touch with The Law Place today to discuss your case.
What a Motorcycle Injury Lawyer at The Law Place Can Do for You
At The Law Place, we strive to achieve the very best for our clients. Our injury lawyers work collectively on cases to ensure that our clients benefit from our mass of experience. If you contact us today, we can schedule you a free consultation with one of our accident attorneys, and you will be able to discuss your case. We will offer you some honest, unbiased, and non-obligation legal advice so you can make an informed decision on whether you would like us to be your legal representative.
If you agree and would like one of our lawyers to represent you, we will have a more in-depth case review. In this meeting, we will clearly explain our fee structure and will take over the negotiations and paperwork with the insurance companies from you. We can help lift a massive weight off your shoulders so that you can have the much-needed rest you deserve.
Many injury claims will result in a settlement. With proper legal representation, you have a far greater chance of winning compensation and achieving higher payouts. For this reason, we highly recommend that you seek legal advice. We can help you win the justice that you deserve. Contact us today at The Law Place to find out more.
Talk to The Law Place Today
If you or someone you know has been involved in a motorcycle accident in Fort Myers, FL, that wasn’t your fault, you may be entitled to compensation. Our law firm has a legal team with over 75 years of combined experience to help you win the justice that you deserve.
One of our accident lawyers will be assigned to be your legal representative. They will handle all of the paperwork and negotiations with insurance companies for you and guide you through the whole process. Our clients at The Law Place are our top priority and therefore, we will work as hard as we can to ensure that you receive the justice that you deserve for your injuries. Contact us today for a free case evaluation, the first step in you achieving compensation for your injuries.
We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call us today at (941) 444-4444.