The use of motorcycles as a means of transport is more popular now more than ever in Florida. In fact, the state has the second-highest amount of motorcycles on its roads in the whole of the U.S. However, an increased amount of motorcycles on the road can result in a high amount of motorcycle accidents. According to recent studies, approximately 20% of motor vehicle accident fatalities involve motorcyclists.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a motorcycle accident in St. Petersburg that wasn’t your fault, contact The Law Place today. Recovering from an accident involving a motorcycle can take years, and some injuries could even last a lifetime. Therefore, you could be entitled to receive compensation for your accident. Our St. Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyers have over 75 years of combined experience in navigating Florida law, and we have won thousands of personal injury cases for our clients. At The Law Place, we believe that victims of motorcycle accidents shouldn’t have to suffer financially due to another driver’s negligence. We can’t undo the injuries and trauma you may have sustained, but we can fight to get you the compensation that you deserve.
At The Law Place, we prioritize open communication with our clients. Therefore, we keep our phone lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so that someone is always ready to take your call. Contact our law firm today at (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney and take the first step in getting the compensation that you could be owed.
Statistics on Motorcycle Accidents in Florida
According to data provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcycle accidents are a common occurrence in the State of Florida. The following list offers statistics involving these accidents collected by the NHTSA from 2016:
- Over 10,000 motorcycle accidents occurred during this year.
- Of these 10,000 accidents, 600 involved at least one fatality.
- Over 8000 drivers sustained injuries.
- Over 400 of the fatal accidents involved another vehicle.
- Almost 70% of fatal motorcycle accidents involving two vehicles.
Common Causes of a St. Petersburg Motorcycle Accident
There is a wide range of causes of motorcycle accidents in St. Petersburg. Knowing the most common causes of these accidents may help to reduce the concerning number of motorcycle accidents occurring every year. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Driving under the influence – Driving while intoxicated puts you and other drivers at risk. According to the NHTSA, in nearly 80% of accidents that resulted in a fatality, at least one driver had consumed alcohol before operating their vehicle. Driving under the influence impairs normal faculties and drastically reduces the ability of the driver to drive carefully and responsibly.
- Left-turn accidents – Making a left turn can be dangerous when done incorrectly. When making a left turn, some motorcycle drivers sometimes fail to check for oncoming traffic or overtake another vehicle too quickly. Driving recklessly or doing a left turn maneuver at the wrong time can result in catastrophic consequences.
- Motorcycle lane splitting – Some motorcycle drivers attempt to weave in between traffic in order to reach their destination sooner. In many cases, other drivers fail to notice the motorcyclist’s lane splitting as they often do it quickly with little warning.
- Speeding – Driving over the speed limit can lead to devastating consequences as drivers have little time to react quickly and brake when necessary.
- High-performance motorcycles – Purchasing these motorcycles have become more and more common in recent years. These vehicles offer high speeds, sleek designs, and powerful engines. However, without receiving proper training to use these motorcycles, motorcyclists are at risk of causing a serious accident as they may be unable to operate the vehicle correctly.
If you have been involved in a St. Petersburg motorcycle accident, it is in your best interest to seek legal representation. A motorcycle accident attorney at our law firm can review the events that caused your accident in order to determine who is liable. Having to deal with the aftermath of motorcycle accidents can be taxing and frustrating, especially when the accident was someone else’s fault. Contact our law office today for a free case evaluation from a St. Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyer to get the justice you deserve.
Common Injuries From a Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycle accident injuries can be very serious and lead to life-changing consequences for the victims involved. Many people find that, after being injured, they have difficulty in carrying out normal day-to-day tasks. Also, motorcycle accident victims recovering from these injuries are often left with high medical costs to worry about after receiving medical care. Common injuries that can result from an accident involving a motorcycle include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis.
- Lacerations, bruises, and road rash.
- Fractures and broken bones.
- Internal bleeding.
- Soft tissue injuries.
Whether you have sustained a small injury or several serious ones, you may be entitled to compensation for your accident. Our personal injury lawyers in St. Petersburg will examine the injuries you have sustained in order to determine how much compensation you may be eligible to claim. Contact our office today for a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer who will be able to determine the strength of your case and how much money you could receive.
Regulations for Motorcyclists in St. Petersburg, FL.
Drivers of all vehicles in the State of Florida must adhere to regulations set out by The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV). These regulations are enforced in order to ensure that Florida’s roads are safe to use and reduce the likelihood of motor accidents occurring. A driver can find information relating to Florida’s road-related laws and information from the State of Florida’s Driver’s Handbook. The handbook outlines the process to renew or apply for a driving license, how to carry out basic maintenance to a vehicle, and how to signal correctly, amongst other things. All drivers should be aware of this information, and motorcyclists also have extra regulations to comply with. These regulations include:
- The use of a helmet is obligatory if the driver is under 21 years of age.
- Motorcycle riders must have a license or motorcycle endorsement before using the vehicle.
- It is a requirement for motorcycle riders to wear appropriate eye protection while riding a motorcycle. This prevents debris such as dust or dirt from entering a rider’s eye, which could cause you to lose your concentration and focus on the road.
- A motorcyclist’s insurance policy should cover third-party injury and property damage.
By establishing these requirements, The Florida Department of Transport hopes to reduce the number of collisions that occur every year in Florida. Nevertheless, motorcycle crashes still happen usually due to the negligence of other drivers who often don’t comply with these rules and regulations. If you have been involved in a St. Petersburg motorcycle accident, you may be able to claim compensation, especially if you have been injured due to the collision. Contact The Law Place to get in touch with our team of experienced personal injury lawyers and see how much compensation you could receive.
Duty of Care in St. Petersburg, FL.
In Florida, motor vehicle drivers owe other road users as well as pedestrians a duty of care while driving their vehicle. If a motorist fails to deliver their duty of care, they may cause an accident which they could be held liable for.
A St. Petersburg motorcycle accident attorney must prove that a party involved in your accident broke their duty of care towards you. In order to do this, they must demonstrate that:
- A duty of care was expected – Drivers in Florida owe road users a duty of care. They must follow all rules and regulations set out under the state’s traffic laws.
- The duty of care was breached – Unfortunately, drivers sometimes breach this duty of care. Speeding, failing to stop at a stop sign, and running red lights are examples of how a driver could breach their duty of care.
- The breach in duty of care caused the accident – Driving recklessly can lead to an accident. A motorcycle accident attorney must prove that a driver’s reckless driving resulted in your accident.
- The accident resulted in damages – Much like car accidents, accidents involving motorcycles can cause significant damages to those involved, including serious physical injuries as well as mental pain and suffering. A lawyer must determine that the accident caused by the driver lead to these damages occurring.
By determining who breached their duty of care, a personal injury attorney will be able to hold someone liable for your accident. At The Law Place, our motorcycle accident lawyers have handled hundreds of motorcycle accident cases and have obtained a considerable amount of compensation for our clients. Call us today for a free consultation to find out how much you may be entitled to.
What Damages Can a St. Petersburg Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help Me Claim?
A St. Petersburg motorcycle accident attorney from our law firm will be able to calculate how much compensation you may be eligible for after reviewing your motorcycle accident case. Accidents involving motorcycles can often lead to serious injuries and damages. With the help of a qualified attorney, damages you may be able to claim after an accident include:
- Medical bills – No matter what type of vehicle was involved in the crash, injuries sustained from motor vehicle accidents can be very serious. Treating these injuries with professional medical care can be very expensive. You may be able to cover medical costs, including surgery, therapy, and medicine, as well as the cost of transport to and from the place in which you received your medical care. At The Law Place, we understand how costly these debts can be. An attorney will be able to calculate how much money you have spent on medical expenses and help you to recover them.
- Lost wages – After your accident, you may have been left injured and therefore unable to work, which may have lead to a loss of income. Motorcycle accident injuries can be incredibly severe and leave victims without being able to work for months or even years. You may have the right to claim these lost wages and ease the financial worries that your accident has caused.
- Property damage – If your property was damaged due to the accident, you might be able to cover the costs of repairing or replacing your belongings. Covering the costs of broken cars, cell phones, and other gadgets that were damaged during the accident can be very expensive. Therefore, it is important to obtain the highest amount of compensation in order to cover these costs.
- Pain and suffering – This term is used to describe physical and mental trauma that victims may have sustained after an accident. It can sometimes be difficult to determine how much someone could be owed for this, which is why hiring professional and experienced legal representation is imperative in order to get the maximum amount of compensation available.
- Wrongful death – If an accident involving a motorcycle has resulted in the wrongful death of someone you love, you may be able to claim compensation. Funeral expenses, as well as dealing with the lost wages of the deceased, can leave large financial burdens on a grieving family. Under Florida Statute 768.21, the law allows family members of the deceased to claim for the accident in order to cover these often crippling debts.
After a road traffic accident, victims are sometimes unsure about what damages they may be able to cover. Our motorcycle accident lawyers in St. Petersburg understand how complex the Florida legal system can seem, which is why we review and clarify all necessary parts of the legal proceedings of your specific case with you. If we believe you deserve compensation, we won’t stop fighting until you get it. Contact our law firm as soon as possible to talk to a qualified personal injury attorney and take the first step to cover the costs of your accident.
Dealing With Insurance Companies in Florida
After being involved in an accident involving a motorcycle, you must file a claim with your insurance company normally within 24 hours of the accident occurring. By relying on their insurance company, victims run the risk of not receiving the maximum amount of compensation they may have been entitled to. This is because reducing your final settlement potential is in your insurance provider’s best interest, as by doing this, they reduce their own expenditures. In other words, it is safe to say that insurance companies rarely prioritize the interests of their clients.
Insurance companies often use the same methods to avoid paying out big sums of money when dealing with claims filed by their clients. Our team of St. Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyers has analyzed these techniques employed by these companies. Therefore, we know how to deal with them. By gathering sufficient evidence specific to your case, we can strengthen your claim and challenge any dispute your insurance company may have.
When first filing your claim with your insurance provider, it is important not to give them too much information. Your insurance company may take advantage of the information provided to them and try to hold you partially responsible for your accident so as to reduce the final settlement. For advice and guidance on how to handle these greedy insurance companies, call our law office today.
What Can Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Do for You?
At The Law Place, we offer a free case evaluation service for all our prospective clients. We do this so that our clients have an idea of how our law firm operates before they decide to allow us to represent them legally. After a free consultation, a top personal injury lawyer will review your case as well as the evidence available. If they decide that your case is strong enough, we inform you of what the next step in the legal process will be and tell you an estimated amount of compensation that you could receive.
Once your case has been reviewed, our St. Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyers will act quickly to gather all the evidence that may be valuable to strengthen your case. Our professionals will contact key eyewitnesses of your accident and review police reports and medical records in order to build a strong case for you going forward. We recommend our clients retain any evidence that may be relevant to their case, including medical records, hospital bills, and wage slips.
At our law firm, we operate on a contingency basis monitored by The State Bar Association. If we are successful in your case, you will be charged a percentage of the settlement total you have received. If not, you will not have to pay for our services. This way, you can seek justice for your accident without the fear of being left with large debts to worry about.
Contact The Law Place Today
If you have been involved in an accident with a motorcycle, call our office today. Motorcycle accidents can lead to victims facing worrying expenses to cover in addition to life-changing injuries. Therefore, it is essential to receive the compensation that you deserve from your accident.
Our attorneys have ample experience with motorcycle accident cases and have a wealth of knowledge in personal injury law. A St. Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyer at The Law Place can offer impartial and expert legal advice so that you feel confident in going forward with your claim. You won’t need to worry about tedious paperwork involving your case as we’ll handle it for you.
Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day, every day, so you can call us whenever you want. Call our law office today at (941) 444-4444 for your free case evaluation and find out if you are eligible for compensation.