Ridesharing applications such as Lyft and Uber have grown in popularity over the years, with millions of users making use of the user-friendly services throughout the world. It is a convenient method of transportation, especially in busy states like Florida.
However, the increase in rideshare services has also caused a rise in car accidents involving Lyft drivers or Uber drivers. If you were involved in a Tampa Lyft accident, then you should seek the assistance of a Lyft accident lawyer as soon as possible.
At The Law Place, we have successfully managed hundreds of Lyft accidents for clients all over the state of Florida. Our team of Tampa personal injury lawyers understands that determining liability after an Uber accident can be very challenging, and we want to help you seek compensation.
What Is My Lyft Accident Case Worth in Tampa, FL?
The value of a Tampa Lyft accident is determined by the severity of the injuries and the aftermath. For example:
- The costs of your medical bills and treatment.
- The amount of lost wages and lost income.
- The cost of repairing or replacing damaged property.
- Emotional pain and suffering caused.
Liability for Lyft Accidents in Tampa, FL
The process of proving liability is different in Lyft accidents compared to other car accidents, mainly due to the fact that Lyft drivers are classed as independent contractors and not direct employees (which means that Lyft is not actually liable for damages caused after a car accident).
However, Lyft drivers are required to have insurance coverage for potential accidents under Florida law. The insurance coverage available through Lyft will depend on the status of the Lyft driver at the time that the accident happened.
In most cases, if the Lyft driver was not logged onto the app, then they must have personal insurance coverage to cover damages related to the car accident. In other cases, it could be that the Lyft driver or another driver could be responsible parties, or they could share fault with multiple parties.
- Not signed onto the app – If the Lyft driver was not signed onto the app when they caused the car accident, then Florida’s “no fault” insurance rules will apply. Lyft will not cover anything in this situation.
- Signed onto the app with no passenger – If the Lyft driver was signed onto the app when they caused the car accident, but did not have a passenger at the time, then the driver’s personal insurance will be the main provider, and Lyft’s insurance will also provide a limited amount of coverage in the event that the driver’s personal insurance company denies the claim or their limits have been reached.
- Carrying a passenger – If the Lyft driver was in the middle of carrying a passenger at the time of the car accident, then Lyft’s $1 million liability coverage will cover everyone involved in the car crash.
For a free legal consultation with a lyft accidents lawyer serving Tampa, call 941-444-4444
Lyft Insurance Coverage in Tampa, FL
Driver Is Available to Accept a Lyft Ride
Lyft’s insurance applies when the driver is using the app. For example, if the Lyft driver is available to accept a ride, then the following insurance coverage will apply:
- $50,000 worth of bodily injury coverage for each person.
- $100,000 worth of bodily injury coverage for each accident.
- $25,000 worth of property damage coverage for each accident.
It is important to note this coverage because personal insurance will not cover damages that occur when the driver is using their motor vehicle for commercial purposes.
Driver Has Accepted a Ride
When the Lyft driver has accepted a ride, the following insurance will be available:
- $1 million worth of third-party liability.
- Underinsured or uninsured bodily liability coverage.
- Contingent collision coverage up to the value of the motor vehicle, including a $2,500 deductible.
It is important to note this coverage applies when the Lyft driver is in the middle of transporting a passenger in their motor vehicle or when they are on their way to pick up a passenger.
Tampa Lyft Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Compensation for Lyft Accident Victims in Tampa, FL
Lyft accident victims are entitled to recover economic and non-economic damages under Florida law.
- Medical bills.
- Physical therapy.
- Lost wages.
- Lost future earning capacity.
- Property damage.
- Pain and suffering.
- Depression and anxiety.
- Reduced quality of life.
- Wrongful death.
- Loss of consortium.
Different Types of Injuries Caused in Lyft Accident Cases in Tampa, FL
Injuries caused in Lyft accidents are as serious as any other accident injury. Our team of Tampa personal injury lawyers will fight to recover compensation for all the injuries that you suffered, including:
- Severe burns.
- Cuts, lacerations, and contusions.
- Broken bones.
- Whiplash injuries.
- Seat belt injuries.
- Back injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Soft tissue damage.
- Traumatic brain injuries.
- Loss of limbs.
- Catastrophic injuries.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Causes of Lyft Accidents in Tampa, FL
Lyft is a highly convenient method of transportation around Tampa. However, it is worth noting that Lyft drivers do not receive special training, and they are just like any other driver on the road.
It is unfortunate that Lyft drivers are often distracted by their phones or are in a rush to get their passengers to their destinations.
The most common causes of Uber and Lyft accidents include:
- Running a red light or stop sign.
- Rushing to make it through a yellow light.
- Stopping to pick up or drop off passengers in unsafe areas.
- Unfamiliarity with the roads and traffic patterns.
- Failure to yield the right-of-way.
- Excessive speeding.
- Driver fatigue.
- Distracted driving.
- Aggressive driving.
- Drunk driving.
- Unsafe passing.
- Illegal lane changes.
- Illegal or unsafe turns.
It is not uncommon for Lyft accidents to occur because of conditions on the road, such as cracks or potholes in the road, malfunctioning traffic signals, and more.
Proving Negligence After a Lyft Accident in Tampa, FL
Any number of people could be held liable following a Lyft accident. Drivers, rideshare drivers, truck drivers, bicyclists, pedestrians, and more could be held responsible.
If you were injured, then you will need to prove negligence in order to recover damages. A Lyft accident attorney will have to prove:
- A duty of care existed between the parties involved.
- A breach of duty occurred between the parties involved.
- Injuries and damages were caused.
- A list of damages incurred.
The Statute of Limitations in Tampa, FL.
The statute of limitations for personal injury cases is only four years in the state of Florida.
If you were injured in a Tampa Lyft accident, then you will only have four years to file a personal injury claim following the day of the crash. However, in the case of wrongful death, you only have two years.
If you fail to hire a Tampa Lyft accident attorney and file a personal injury lawsuit within the deadline, then you are not able to recover compensation. By speaking to a Tampa Lyft accident attorney from The Law Place, we will make sure that you do not miss out on recovering the compensation that you are owed.
The statute of limitations is explained in Florida Statute 95.11.
Contact a Tampa Lyft Accident Lawyer at The Law Place in Tampa, FL
If you or someone you love were injured in a Lyft accident, then you could be entitled to file a personal injury claim in Tampa. It can be difficult to navigate the legal system on your own following a car accident, and you should reach out to a Tampa Lyft accident lawyer now.
At The Law Place, we have years of experience and knowledge when it comes to helping clients who have suffered in car accidents throughout the state of Florida. Our law firm has the necessary skills and resources to hold the responsible party liable for the injuries and damages that they caused you.
Our team of Tampa personal injury lawyers will fight for your legal rights and ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation following a Lyft accident. We will guide you through the process every step of the way.