Everyone has slipped or tripped and fallen over before in their lives, and they likely will again in the future. Usually, you’re able to immediately recover from the accident. However, sometimes, slip and fall accidents can leave victims with life-changing injuries, and they may struggle to recover and return to their normal life. Those who unfortunately experience this may never be able to return to their job or participate in the activities and hobbies that they once enjoyed before the accident. The most severe injuries may leave victims with permanent disabilities and limitations that affect their entire life. Particularly nasty trip and fall accidents can even lead to wrongful death.
When we walk into controlled environments, such as grocery stores, office buildings, restaurants, and even parking lots, we expect the area to be safe. However, some businesses and individuals may perform the bare minimum to ensure others’ safety as it’s cheaper to do so. When we experience these unsafe conditions, we are completely unprepared for it, and so disaster can strike. What’s worse is that often, these accidents could have easily been avoided.
The Law Place
If you or someone you loved has been the victim of a slip and fall accident through no fault of your own and suffered injuries because of this, then you may deserve compensation. It is the property owner’s duty to ensure that their property is safe for visitors, and if they neglected this responsibility, causing your fall accident, then you may be able to claim damages from them. The premises liability lawyers at The Law Place want to work alongside you to help you win the compensation you deserve. By scheduling a free consultation, our personal injury lawyers will be able to determine whether you are entitled to compensation and exactly which party was at fault for your accident. We will then offer our services to help you build a strong case for your lawsuit and fight on your behalf to win the justice that you deserve.
Contact us today at (941) 444-4444 to book a free case evaluation.
For a free legal consultation with a trip and fall lawyer serving Fort Myers, call 941-444-4444
Landowners’ Duty of Care in Florida
All property owners in Fort Myers, and the entirety of Florida, owe everyone who enters their property a duty of care. This is the duty of ensuring their property is properly maintained and remains in a safe condition. However, under Florida statute, victims are categorized in three specific ways, and the landowner owes each category a specified amount of care. The three classifications are:
- Invitees – Landowners have the highest duty of care for these people. They have the landowner’s permission to enter the property and are often their family or friends.
- Licensees – These people have been allowed by the property owner to enter the property but are going there for their own purposes.
- Trespassers – Landowners have the lowest duty of care for these people. They don’t have permission to be on the property, but in some cases, landowners can still be held liable for a trespasser’s injuries.
The Florida legal system, including the above rules and statute, can seem complicated and complex for those who do not have to deal with it frequently.
At The Law Place, our personal injury lawyers boast over 75 years of combined experience in dealing with the Florida legal system, so you can trust that we know what we’re doing. Our attorneys have worked with many victims of slip and fall accidents and have worked on many cases just like yours. So, you can be sure that they have the knowledge required to get you the best possible outcome. You deserve justice, and we are ready to fight tirelessly for you, so contact our law firm today for a free consultation.
Fort Myers Trip and Fall Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Fort Myers
According to The Center for Disease Control, one of the top three leading causes of preventable, nonfatal injury is slip and fall accidents. Not just this, but trip and fall accidents dominate nonfatal emergency department visits and are the cause of 15% of accidental deaths. This shows exactly how common they are and how dangerous they can be. However, there are some factors that make it likely for you to experience a fall that was not your fault. One of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents in Fort Myers is slippery floors caused by the rain.
Florida experiences above-average, heavy rainfall throughout the year, and so residents have to worry about slippery floors more than the average American. Water gets tracked into properties, particularly around the entrances, and this creates a slipping hazard for everyone entering the building. While this hazard is caused by the rain, and therefore arguably unavoidable, it is still the duty of the property owner to ensure puddles are mopped up, to put mats at every entrance and exit to reduce the amount of water getting tracked in, and to put up signs to warn people of the slippery floor.
This is not the only cause of Fort Myers slip and fall accidents, though. Below are just some of the many more reasons that may cause you to fall.
- Food or liquid spilled onto the floor, such as oil, water, and grease.
- Objects placed in walkways, causing them to become tripping hazards.
- Uneven surfaces, such as potholes.
- Poor lighting.
- Recently waxed floors.
- Loose rugs.
- Unsafe stair rails, balconies, or railings.
The majority of people naturally look where they’re walking, but there can be many hidden dangers. This is especially true if you are talking with friends, eating and drinking, or otherwise distracted, meaning that you may not spot the hazard ahead. Regardless of whether or not you were paying attention, it still may not be your fault if you slipped on something that should have been cleared away or properly maintained. The owner could still be held liable.
If you were injured from slipping and falling on someone’s property, then the property owner may have failed their duty of care and therefore owe you damages for your injuries. To find out whether you are owed compensation, call our law firm to speak to a personal injury lawyer. Call The Law Place today to book a free consultation.
Injuries Often Sustained in Slip and Fall Accidents in Fort Myers
Unsurprisingly, most people avoid injuring themselves wherever possible, and so it makes sense that slip and fall accidents happen when people slip unexpectedly on an object or unsafe surface that they did not realize was a hazard. Victims end up losing their balance too quickly to have enough time to react, if any at all, beyond their basic instinct. This means that the injuries sustained in a slip and fall accident are often quite severe, as there was no chance to break their fall.
Below are some common injuries that are seen in slip and fall accidents:
- Head and brain trauma, including concussions.
- Neck injuries, including sprains.
- Back and spinal cord injuries, including paralysis.
- Broken bones and fractures, usually in the arms, wrists, ankles, and legs.
- Pelvis and hip injuries.
- Nerve damage.
- Cuts, bruises, burns, sprains, and lacerations.
- And, in severe cases, wrongful death.
If you have sustained any type of physical injury, or emotional and mental impact, from a Fort Myers slip and fall accident, then you should get in touch with a law firm to speak to a lawyer about your fall case. At The Law Place, all of our personal injury lawyers have vast experience in dealing with all types of slip and fall accident cases, and so you can be sure that your case will be dealt with by the most capable lawyers in Florida. Contact us now to book a free consultation with an established slip and fall lawyer, who you can trust will fight for the maximum amount of compensation you deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How We Prove the Property Owner is Liable for Your Injuries
In order to win compensation for the injuries you sustained in a slip and fall accident, you and your lawyer must be able to prove that the property owner was negligent. In order to do that, you must be able to prove the following:
- Duty of care – You need to be able to prove that the property owner had a duty of care and therefore had to keep their property adequately safe for visitors. This is usually somewhat easy, as it is Florida law that property owners have this duty of care.
- Breach of duty – You need to be able to prove that the property owner breached this duty of care as there was a dangerous condition on their property that meant it was not reasonably safe. Even if the property owner didn’t know of the dangerous condition, they can still be held liable if you can prove that they should have known about the condition. You should also be able to prove that the property owner failed to take steps to remedy the safety issue, despite having plenty of time and chances to do so. They also will have failed to ensure that visitors were aware of the condition to prevent injury to themselves.
- Causation – It should be proved that the safety hazard was at fault for the injury.
- Damages – This refers to proving that visitors suffered damages as a result of their injuries. For example, needing medical attention because of the injury and then having to pay medical bills as a result.
It can be tricky to be able to prove all of these elements in a court of law, especially if you have no such prior experience. This is why it is crucial that you contact a law firm for help. A lawyer at The Law Place will be able to thoroughly investigate your claim and find the necessary evidence to prove the above points, giving you a higher chance of receiving the justice that you deserve. So, call The Law Place today to book a free case evaluation.
Damages Often Recovered by the Law Place in Slip and Fall Accident Cases
Our lawyers understand that not only has your accident left you having to deal with the injuries and trauma caused, but also with an unfair amount of financial burden. We know you don’t deserve this financial burden, especially when you should be focusing on healing and resting, and so, once our lawyers have established the at-fault party, we will gather evidence and use it to prove the damages you deserve compensation for.
The Law Place commonly recovers compensation for the following in Fort Myers slip and fall cases:
- Medical bills – If you required medical attention because of the injuries that you sustained in the accident, then you may deserve to be reimbursed for the cost of these expenses. Medical costs can include doctor visits, medication, surgeries, physical therapy, and even your transportation to and from any appointments and visits. This refers to any past, present, and predicted future medical costs related to your accident.
- Lost wages – If you had to miss work for a period of time because of the injury, then you should receive compensation to cover the wages that you therefore lost. If your injuries are severe, then you may also deserve financial compensation to cover any decreased future earning ability.
- Pain and suffering – If your injuries and/or trauma have left you suffering from emotional distress, and you can no longer enjoy some activities that you used to before the accident, then you may be entitled to compensation. As this can be difficult to prove, it will be vital that you have a Fort Myers slip and fall lawyer on your side who is capable of proving the extent of your suffering and ensure that you are compensated for it.
- Wrongful death – If you lost a loved one due to the property owner’s negligence, then you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. You could also receive compensation to cover the loss of their income, as well as any funeral costs and loss of consortium.
We know that, unfortunately, no amount of financial compensation can heal the injuries and trauma that your accident may have left you with. But it can act as a form of justice to you and against the liable party. It can also help you manage the financial losses you may have suffered as a result of the incident. This is why you should call The Law Place today to give yourself the opportunity to relax and focus on healing, knowing that your case is being looked over and fought for by experienced and determined personal injury lawyers.
What Our Fort Myers Slip and Fall Lawyers Can Do for You
It could prove crucial to enlist in the help of a slip and fall lawyer who has worked on cases like yours, as they will be able to build a strong case in the pursuit of compensation and give you the best chance at winning compensation. Some specific ways that an experienced Fort Myers lawyer can assist you are:
- Collecting evidence – A Fort Myers slip and fall lawyer will be able to store security footage, witness statements, and photos of the scene. This evidence will help determine which parties and factors caused the accident. Our attorneys will be able to review the details of the evidence, consult with eyewitnesses, and more, therefore helping to strengthen your claim.
- Estimate the amount of compensation you deserve – Our lawyers are incredibly experienced, and so will be able to determine the accurate amount of compensation that you deserve. The insurance company on the side of the liable party will often focus on minimizing financial liability, and so you need an experienced Fort Myers slip and fall lawyer to help work out the real value of your claim, ensuring that you only accept a sufficient settlement.
- Negotiate – A lawyer will be able to negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure that you get the best deal possible whilst you focus on healing and recovering.
You have the right to hold a negligent property owner responsible for your slip and fall accident and the injuries it caused. We want to help. Call The Law Place today to schedule a free case evaluation.
Contact Fort Myers Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Now
If you or a loved one have suffered an injury in a slip and fall accident that wasn’t your fault, call The Law Place today. Trip and fall accidents can leave victims suffering from serious injuries through no fault of their own, and so it’s important that you book a free consultation with our law firm as soon as possible. A personal injury lawyer will be able to determine whether your claim is valid, how much compensation you deserve, and can offer you legal help and guidance that you can trust.
Our lawyers are all well-equipped in helping victims like yourself, and we promise to fight to ensure you receive the compensation that you deserve, so contact us today at (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free case evaluation.