In general, garbage trucks are renowned for driving at a slow pace and staying within the local area. You would expect that the risk of a garbage truck accident happening is quite low, yet within Bradenton, there have been numerous serious garbage truck accidents that have resulted in fatalities.
Any accident that happens on the road can create serious damage, including personal injury, property damage, and emotional distress. These situations can be extremely stressful, especially when you are trying to receive compensation for any damage you have suffered. Knowing your rights and understanding Florida’s personal injury laws in these situations can be helpful.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a garbage truck accident in Bradenton and suffered injury as a result, call us at The Law Place today. We have over 75 years of experience in multiple practice areas, including truck accident cases. Our team of personal injury lawyers can give you guidance on whether you are entitled to damages for your Bradenton truck accident. We offer a free consultation with no strings attached. The sooner you contact us, the better chance we have at winning your case.
Call us today to schedule a free consultation. Our phone lines are open 24 hours, 7 days a week.
In This Article
- Garbage Truck Accidents in Bradenton, FL.
- What Are the Main Causes of Garbage Truck Accidents in Bradenton?
- Damages Resulting From Garbage Truck Accidents in Bradenton, Florida.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) for Truck Accidents
- Who Can Be Held Liable for a Garbage Truck Accident in Bradenton, FL?
- What to Do if You’re Involved in a Garbage Truck Accident
- How Can a Garbage Truck Accident Attorney Help Me?
- Contact The Law Place Today
Garbage Truck Accidents in Bradenton, FL.
Typically, garbage truck drivers will follow a particular route and keep within a local area. In order to drive these trucks, a driver should have a special commercial license and must be trained to a high standard.
Even though they are highly trained, it is possible for an accident to happen, and when it does, it can often be quite serious. As these trucks typically operate in local and residential areas, there is a risk of both vehicles and pedestrians getting injured.
When a garbage truck accident happens, it could potentially involve:
- A person driving a moving vehicle.
- A passenger in a vehicle.
- A car which is parked on the road.
What Are the Main Causes of Garbage Truck Accidents in Bradenton?
When a garbage truck accident happens, there may be a number of causes. The Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has found that some of the main causes include:
- Distracted driving – A truck driver may be driving distracted due to a number of reasons, including fatigue, listening to the radio, or lapsing in concentration for a short time.
- Impaired driving – When a truck operator is driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs or impaired in any other way, it is possible for an accident to happen.
- Violating traffic laws – Failing to obey traffic signals or texting whilst operating a garbage truck can result in a serious accident happening.
- Vehicle malfunctions – It is often the case that internal vehicle issues such as failed brakes, hydraulic issues, worn tires, or other vehicle malfunctions are the reason for an accident happening.
- Blind spots – A lot of older waste disposal vehicles are not installed with reverse cameras, and this can make it impossible to see what is behind them. This can cause an accident when there is a pedestrian or a car in one of these blind spots.
- Other drivers failing to abide by the ‘move over act’ – Under this law, road users in Florida are required to slow down or move to one side of the road upon hearing or seeing emergency or commercial vehicles on the road, including garbage trucks. It is common for an accident to occur when a driver fails to slow down and give adequate space for a garbage truck driver to pull out.
Damages Resulting From Garbage Truck Accidents in Bradenton, Florida.
If you have been involved in a garbage truck accident and sustained an injury as a result, there may be a number of damages available to you. Some of these damages can include:
- Medical expenses – This can include bills for hospital appointments and transport to and from these appointments.
- Property damage – You may be able to claim for any damage to your property, including your vehicle and any valuable items contained inside.
- Lost wages – If you are unable to work as a result of the accident, you can claim for lost earnings, including any potential future earnings.
- Pain and suffering – This includes any physical or emotional distress you have suffered as a result of the accident.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) for Truck Accidents
Florida Statute 627.7407 provides that all drivers throughout the State of Florida must have personal injury protection (PIP), as it is a no-fault state. The compensation available under this includes:
- 80% of reasonable medical bills from the accident.
- 60% of any wages lost due to the accident.
- Benefits of $5,000 where a death has occurred.
In order to receive this, you must claim within 14 days of your accident. Your insurance company will then assess the medical benefits you are entitled to. However, in many cases, insurance companies will play down your injuries so that they only have to give you 25% of expenses.
In order for your injuries to be considered serious by insurance companies, they must:
- Create a significant risk of death.
- Cause severe disfigurement.
- Impair the function of any organ or body part.
When an insurance company gives you less compensation than you deserve for your injuries, you are entitled to dispute the amount and fight to receive more. However, this can be difficult without the assistance of an experienced truck accident lawyer.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Garbage Truck Accident in Bradenton, FL?
- Garbage truck drivers – When it can be established that the driver of the waste vehicle caused the accident, they can be held liable.
- The employer – When the employer of a truck driver acted negligently by hiring an unqualified driver, failing to provide adequate training, or failing to have the legally required brakes on the truck, they can be held liable for any damages.
- The manufacturer of the truck – If it can be established that the accident was caused by a faulty vehicle, it is possible to find the truck or parts manufacturer liable.
- The injured party – When a garbage truck accident happens, it is often the case that the injured party has some level of fault for the accident. In these situations, the person who has been injured may have to pay some amount of damages. Speaking with a personal injury lawyer from The Law Place can prevent you from having to pay damages.
What to Do if You’re Involved in a Garbage Truck Accident
There are a number of important steps you should follow to both keep you safe and help your case following an auto accident. These include:
- Receiving medical attention – If you have been injured in the accident, you should seek medical assistance straight away, regardless of how serious your injuries are. When making a personal injury claim, insurance companies and the court will use your medical records to determine how much compensation you deserve.
- Documenting everything – In personal injury cases, having comprehensive documentation will be hugely beneficial to you. Keeping all of your medical and related bills safe is important for your claim. It is also recommended that you document the incident thoroughly and take photos of everything.
- Taking the truck driver’s information – It is important that you gather all of the other driver’s information, including their full name, their vehicle registration number, and the Department of Transport (DOT) number of their vehicle. It is common for a commercial truck to have an event data recorder (EDR) installed. This device records the amount of hours the truck is on the road, whether the seatbelt has been used, and the speed of the truck. Having this information could be helpful in establishing that the truck driver was liable for the accident.
- Seeking assistance from a truck accident lawyer – Following a garbage truck accident, it is vital that you get in contact with a lawyer as soon as possible. We recommend seeking legal assistance prior to communicating with any trucking or insurance companies, as it is common for them to use the information you have given to devalue your claim.
If you have been involved in a garbage truck accident in Bradenton, it is important that you speak with a lawyer immediately. Here at The Law Place, we are experienced in dealing with insurance companies and preventing them from devaluing your claim. Following your free consultation, a lawyer from our law firm will give you the legal assistance you need to get the compensation you deserve.
How Can a Garbage Truck Accident Attorney Help Me?
When serious injuries occur as a result of an accident, it is often the case that compensation from an insurance company does not cover the full extent of your expenses. Similarly, it is common that the payout from an insurance company does not sufficiently cover any lost wages, property damage, or pain and suffering. In these situations, an experienced truck accident lawyer can help you file a personal injury claim to receive the compensation you deserve.
Some things a law firm can do for you include:
- Negotiation – A lawyer can negotiate with both insurance companies and other attorneys involved to prevent the case from going to court.
- Giving you legal advice – A lawyer can advise you on what your best options are for receiving the highest amount of compensation. This can include advice on whether the case should be settled or taken to court to be decided on by a jury.
- Bringing the case to court – In the event that the settlement offered does not adequately reflect the damage you have suffered, an attorney can take your case to court. When representing you, they will communicate with other lawyers and the jury, present any evidence relating to your case and interrogate any witnesses.
Injury cases involving truck accidents can be quite difficult, particularly when an individual has sustained serious injuries. Working with a law firm that is experienced in dealing with cases like this can make the process less stressful for you. Call our law firm today to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced injury lawyer.
Contact The Law Place Today
Receiving compensation from insurance companies can be stressful and can often leave you receiving less compensation than you deserve. If you have been involved in a garbage truck accident in Bradenton and sustained injuries as a result, you should call The Law Place today. We offer a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer from our firm who can give you skilled legal advice.
We don’t want you to battle this case on your own, and this is why we are here to fight for your justice. Don’t hesitate, call us today to schedule a free case evaluation. Our truck accident lawyers are always here to give you the help you need.
Contact us. Our phone lines are open 24 hours, 7 days a week.