In North Port, FL., 18-wheelers are not an unusual sight. So it is not all that uncommon to be involved in or know somebody who has been involved in a truck accident. Because of the enormous size of 18-wheelers, the impact of a crash involving a semi-truck can be disastrous, resulting in massive damages, life-changing injuries, or in some unfortunate cases, death.
If you have been unfortunate enough to have been involved in a collision and incurred injuries, or know a loved one who has been fatal in a crash, then you need a highly trained accident attorney to handle your claim and fight to get you any compensation you are entitled to.
There is always an accident attorney available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, here at The Law Place to answer any queries that you may have about the process of your claim. We handle all of our claims with the utmost dedication, putting our knowledge to use for you. All of our injury attorneys have handled many claims in different areas of personal injury law, so there is not an accident case that is too tough for us.
Contact us for a free consultation at (941) 444-4444; there is always somebody available to handle your call.
Uses of 18-Wheelers
18-wheelers can also be referred to as semi-trucks or lorries and are used for carrying heavy cargo across long-distances. Because of the 18 wheels, the cargo’s weight can be evenly distributed across the wheels, making it possible to carry, import, and export, heavy-duty products with ease. This also makes it easy for them to carry heavy loads of cargo up large hills. It is typical to see 18-wheelers on highways, built-up areas, residential areas, or even car parks.
Most 18-wheeler trucks weigh tonnes, so it can be easy to understand why truck accidents can be fatal for anyone involved, leaving behind catastrophic damages or life-changing injuries for crash victims or pedestrians.
If you have endured any injuries or damages from a semi-truck accident, then you may have endured pain and suffering or financial difficulties from being unable to work whilst medical bills pile up. If so, you will need the advice of an accident attorney, who can review the accident for you and calculate any compensation that you could be owed.
Reasons for Truck Collisions
There are many different reasons for 18-wheeler collisions in North Port and many factors that can increase collision chances. Some common examples of why truck accidents occur are:
- Poor visibility – There may have been heavy rain or thick fog that made it difficult for any motorists involved to see oncoming vehicles.
- Distracted driving – The motorist may have been distracted by looking in the mirror or checking their appearance. Thousands of car crashes across America occur because of drivers checking their cellphones, texting, or talking on the phone. Not only can texting while driving cause you to receive points on your license, but it can result in disastrous consequences for you or others on the road.
- Driving under the influence – It is a known offense to drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol in Florida. Drugs are known to impair your vision, judgment, and can even cause hallucinations, which is very dangerous if you are behind the wheel. Alcohol slows reaction time and alters judgment, making it critical for the person behind the wheel or any other motorist on the road.
- Driver fatigue – Falling asleep at the wheel of a truck is a well-known cause of trucking accidents due to long hours. It can be catastrophic for both the truck driver and other motorists on the road.
- Company negligence – The owner of the trucking company can be held responsible for the accident for a number of reasons, such as making the decision to overload cargo onto the truck, which would mean that they are breaking company regulations and neglecting their duty of care.
- Dangerous driving – The motorist responsible for the accident may have been driving recklessly, speeding, or driving aggressively, putting other drivers on the road at risk.
- Vehicle malfunction – There could have been a defect on the vehicle, such as a broken tail or brake light, which may cause other drivers to be unaware of when someone is breaking, causing a rear-end accident.
You can find more information on negligent driving in the Florida Statute 768.81.
All of the above can be common causes of Florida truck accidents, and if you or somebody that you know has been involved in a big rig truck accident, then you have likely experienced much stress at this time. You need a truck accident lawyer to review the accident for you and prove your eligibility to gain compensation, so don’t hesitate. Call today.
Potential Injuries From 18-Wheeler Accidents
Semi-truck accidents can be severe for anybody involved, and if you’re unfortunate enough to have been involved in a North Port truck accident, then you might have sustained injuries ranging from minor to life-changing, such as:
- Neck or spine injuries – A rear-end crash may have caused the motorist to get whiplash, back injuries, or in some really serious cases of spine injuries, the victim may even be paralyzed.
- Damage to organs – The impact of the crash may have caused the truck accident victim to have internal bleeding or serious bruising to organs, which can be life-threatening to truck crash victims due to the weight.
- Broken/fractured bones – Broken bones can take more than several weeks to recover from, and depending on your profession, it could prevent you from being able to work, resulting in you missing wages.
- Head injury – The victim may have suffered serious head injuries, such as brain damage, a fractured skull, or traumatic brain injury, which could leave the patient in a coma or, in some cases, can be fatal.
- Amputations – The crash victim or pedestrian may have endured serious damage to limbs, resulting in amputation.
- Paralysis – In some really serious accidents, the crash may have been so severe that the victim suffered injuries that left them unable to walk.
- Death – There may have been motorists present that were killed in the semi-truck accident.
If you have been involved in a Florida truck accident, then we understand the frustration and anxiety you may be feeling at this time. But here at The Law Place, our truck accident lawyers are here to fight for any compensation you may be entitled to. Our attorneys are here to answer any questions that you may have about your North Port truck accident case and want to put your mind at rest. Contact us and schedule a free consultation with one of our injury lawyers today.
Steps to Take If You Are Involved in a Truck Accident
If you have been involved in a Florida truck accident in North Port, then it is important that you take the following important steps if you want to improve your chances of claiming the maximum amount of compensation after your accident.
- Ring the emergency services – The police will also need to be informed of the accident in order to record the crash, take statements from any pedestrians or victims, or arrange the removal of any vehicles blocking the road. Ambulances will be needed for anyone that is injured, and the fire department may even be needed to remove people from the wreckage, depending on the seriousness of the crash.
- Get evidence – It is vital to gain any evidence from the site of the crash that your accident lawyer can use as evidence for your claim. You can gain evidence by taking lots of photographs of the crash site and any damage or injuries caused by the collision. Also, make sure to get the contact details of any witnesses, as you could need to contact them for statements later on.
- Inform your insurance company – You must let your car insurance company know about the collision, but keep it brief. Don’t risk harming your claim by going into necessary detail. You usually only have 24 hours to do this.
- Hire an accident/injury lawyer – If you have suffered any injuries or undergone financial losses in a Florida truck accident, then you will need the help of an accident lawyer from a highly trusted law firm.
Types of Compensation You Could Be Entitled To
If you have been involved in a truck accident in North Port, Florida, then The Law Place understands how traumatic this will have been for you. Your suffering deserves to be compensated. You could be entitled to payments for:
- Lost wages – You may have had to take time off work due to time spent in hospital or at home recovering from injuries.
- Property damage – The repair of any vehicles or other personal property damaged as a result of the truck accident should be reimbursed.
- Medical bills – Depending on the injuries sustained, the crash victim will likely have to pay a number of fees for medical treatment.
You could also be entitled to compensation for the trauma and mental suffering you have faced following the accident. This type of compensation is almost impossible to prove without the help of a qualified personal injury lawyer. The Law Place believes that you should be reimbursed for any losses you have undergone, and our truck accident attorneys will work hard to build a strong personal injury claim on your behalf.
How Can an Accident Attorney Help Me Claim?
If you have been involved in a North Port truck accident, then you will need the assistance of a highly trained personal injury lawyer to best determine the fairest settlement amount for you.
You can take your time looking into our attorney’s records to view our past accident claims and the success rates of previous client cases. We are available at any time for you to ask us any questions that you may have about the legal processes of a personal injury claim as well as the specific circumstances of your case.
It can be difficult to understand what you are entitled to in regards to the law, but our truck accident lawyers are here to make your claim as easy for you as possible by explaining everything along the way. Our lawyers will review all of the evidence that you have collected from the collision, contact the trucking company, and put our expertise to work for you. Call today, and let us get to work on your case.
Contact The Law Place for Free
Here at The Law Place, our accident lawyers believe that no victim to truck accidents should face going through a claim alone. Our accident attorneys are here to answer your call at any hour of the day, as our lines are always open to answer any questions or queries that you may have. We will listen carefully to your experience of the accident and come to an agreement with you on how to proceed with your claim.
Our accident attorneys want to put their knowledge to work for you. Contact The Law Place today for a free consultation at (941) 444-4444.