FedEx prides itself on its success in growing to be one of the largest and most recognizable freight companies in the United States and worldwide. Many of us rely on the services provided by FedEx. However, when it comes to road safety, the company has been accused of cutting corners for financial gain.
Truck accidents involving a FedEx truck are far too common, and unfortunately, when any large vehicle is involved in a road accident, the results can be catastrophic.
If you or a loved one have been involved in an accident in Sarasota involving a FedEx truck, we can help you recover damages for lost wages, medical costs, and more. For a free consultation with one of our Sarasota personal injury lawyers, contact The Law Place Today. Our phone number is (941) 444-4444, and our phone lines are open 24 hours a day.
Who Are FedEx?
Founded in 1971, FexEx is an American multinational delivery service that is comprised of four child companies and two grandchild companies. Two of these (FedEx Ground and FedEx Freight) are regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. They are one of the largest freight companies in the country.
How Common Are Accidents Involving a FedEx Truck?
Sadly, accidents involving a FedEx Truck are very common. Data from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration shows that between 2015 and 2017, they received almost 12,000 citations for safety violations. During the same time period, FedEx vehicles were involved in almost 3,000 crashes, of which 80 were fatal and half of which resulted in injuries.
Common causes of FedEx truck accidents in Sarasota include:
- Driving whilst texting or on the phone.
- Driving above the recommended speed limit.
- Driving a large truck whilst fatigued.
- Driving under the influence.
- Driving a truck without a commercial truck license.
- Unsafe tires.
- Driving a truck that has not had regular services or maintenance checks.
- Not checking blind spots and missing smaller vehicles.
The Devastating Results of a Truck Accident
Commercial trucks only make up five percent of the vehicles on the highways nationwide, but of all vehicle fatalities each year, over ten percent are caused by commercial trucks.
This is due to the sheer size and weight of commercial trucks. If a collision occurs, it is unlikely that the results will be minor. Drivers and passengers of smaller vehicles are likely to suffer serious harm, and the chances of fatal injuries are higher. Trucking accidents are one of the most serious incidents that can occur on the road.
Injuries sustained in a trucking accident may include:
- Blunt force trauma.
- An orthopedic injury, such as dislocation.
- Post-traumatic stress.
- Brain injury.
- Back and neck injuries.
How do Trucking Companies Make the Roads of Sarasota Less Safe?
Many truck accidents that occur on the roads of Sarasota could be easily prevented if trucking companies such as FedEx regulated their drivers and the trucks more rigorously.
Fatigue is a leading cause of truck accidents. In fact, at least 1 in 7 truck collisions are caused by a fatigued driver, and experts have argued that it is likely to be a much higher number, but driver tiredness is often not reported.
Commercial truck drivers are limited when it comes to how long they can drive and are required to have regular rest stops. FedEx pays most of their truck drivers by the mile, and this carelessly pushes them to drive for as long as possible each day on very little sleep. This arrangement benefits the trucking companies because it results in very hard-working drivers, but the results can be catastrophic for the driver and other drivers on the roads when a truck accident occurs as a result.
Non-Driving Truck Work
Commercial truck drivers only get paid for each mile they drive but are expected to perform a number of other tasks for free.
- Loading/ unloading freight safely.
- Taking mandatory rest-breaks.
- Delivery route planning.
- Driving to pick up new loads.
- Taking the vehicle for rig inspections.
Many truck drivers avoid these vital tasks or get them done as quickly as possible. Trucking companies like FedEx have been accused of failing to encourage safer working practices by not paying truck drivers for time spent performing these tasks. FedEx describes itself as a “reliable delivery service” committed to “help to save time and money.” Unfortunately, their drive to save their customers time and money may be the cause of some of the accidents their drivers have been involved in.
When an accident occurs because of poorly maintained vehicles or tired drivers, they should be held responsible for this negligence. Unfortunately, insurance companies don’t go this far, and that’s where we step in.
How Is a Sarasota FedEx Truck Accident Investigated?
At the start of the accident investigation, you should enlist the help of an experienced law firm as soon as possible.
At our law firm, a dedicated team of accident lawyers is ready to carry out a rigorous investigation into your truck accident. We will question witnesses to the accident and check the site for evidence you may have missed at the time of the accident.
Trucking companies may destroy information that could be crucial for your case, such as black box records, truck maintenance records, and employment records. Remember, companies like FedEx have experienced lawyers on their side who will seek to destroy evidence that may be used against them. Your lawyer can request this information before it’s too late. Call us for your free consultation today with our Sarasota truck accident lawyers.
Making a Claim for Compensation
Despite what you might see in advertisements, you are not automatically eligible for compensation if you are involved in a truck accident. You need help from an attorney who can fight for your rights!
In order to make a claim, you will need to establish that the other driver involved in the automobile accident, in this case, the FedEx truck driver or the trucking company, acted negligently, and this resulted in the accident and your consequent injuries.
For the court to be able to collate the sum of compensation owed to you, you will need to prove loss of income, provide medical bills, and provide evidence of pain and suffering. Sarasota personal injury lawyer can help you fight for your rights and the justice you deserve.
Damages that you may be able to claim for after an automobile accident include:
- Medical bills – You can claim compensation to cover any medical bills that you have incurred for injuries sustained in the accident that required medical attention. You can also claim for all future medical costs that are expected for rehabilitation or due to a life-long accident injury.
- Loss of earnings – You can make a claim for compensation to cover losses due to any time you have had to take off work. If you are not able to return to work due to injuries sustained in the accident, you can also make a claim for future loss of earnings.
- Property damage – It is likely that your vehicle has been damaged in the truck accident, and you will be able to claim for any necessary repairs or even a replacement vehicle.
- Pain and suffering – This covers any physical or mental suffering that you may suffer after a serious car or truck accident. These damages are hard to quantify and translate into monetary compensation. Therefore, you should hire a personal injury lawyer who will be able to quantify these losses for you in court.
- Wrongful death – Florida Statute 768.21 states that if the accident results in wrongful death, the victim’s loved ones are able to claim compensation for the funeral expenses and even loss of income that impacts a family.
- Loss of enjoyment in life – If you can no longer enjoy and take part in activities you enjoyed prior to your accident, this is known as loss of enjoyment. In this case, a lawyer can help to translate this into monetary compensation.
Florida’s no-fault laws mean that your insurance company provides the main source of coverage for an accident. In order to hold drivers and trucking companies liable for their negligence, you must file for damages for your pain and suffering.
Liability in the State of Florida is estimated by measuring the relative culpability and is determined by the court. If the fault lies mainly with the trucking company, but the truck driver also played a part, the court can find both parties liable and adjust your payout accordingly – as long as you are less than 50% liable.
How Much Will a Truck Accident Attorney Cost Me?
All of our injury attorneys at The Law Place work on a contingency basis. This means that you will not be charged anything upfront, and all fees will be deducted from your final settlement when you win your case. You will not be charged if we are unsuccessful in winning your accident case. Our fee system will be outlined in your initial free consultation so that you are fully informed from the outset and do not receive any unexpected bills when your case is settled.
Contact The Law Place Today
When a truck accident occurs, it is almost never a minor incident. After a serious accident, victims are often left unable to make a living and incur thousands of dollars in medical bills. Big trucking companies such as FedEx have their very own team of experienced accident injury attorneys, and without the right help, accident victims don’t stand a chance against them.
The experienced accident injury attorneys at The Law Place are committed to holding big companies like FedEx accountable for their negligence when insurance companies fail to adequately cover your damages.
If you or a loved one have been involved in an accident involving a FedEx truck in Sarasota, we can help you recover medical costs, lost wages, and more. For a free consultation, call us at (941) 444-4444. Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day.