Serious bodily injury is an injury that is life-threatening or causes possible permanent disfigurement or impairment. When a serious bodily injury is caused by the negligence of another person, you should seek compensation for your financial losses and emotional suffering.
Here at The Law Place, our team of personal injury attorneys is here to help you by taking away the stress of dealing with the legal system whilst you recover. If the incident that caused your injuries was not your fault, then one of our very experienced personal injury attorneys is here to help.
Our team has over 75 years of combined experience dealing with personal injury law in Florida. In a free consultation, we will give you a professional legal opinion about your unique case. We will advise you on whether it is worth filing a lawsuit and if you should be entitled to financial compensation.
Contact The Law Place today so you can schedule a free consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers. Call us today at (941) 444-4444, where our lines are open 24 hours a day and seven days a week.
What Is a Serious Bodily Injury Defined As Under Florida Law?
According to the law of Florida, under Florida Statute 316.027, a serious bodily injury is described as the following:
“Serious bodily injury” means an injury to a person, including the driver, which consists of a physical condition that creates a substantial risk of death, serious personal disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member or organ.
What Are Some Common Causes of Serious Bodily Injury in Sarasota, FL?
There is a range of ways that a victim of an incident will be left suffering from a serious bodily injury. Some of these may include:
- Slip and fall accidents.
- Motor vehicle accidents.
- Animal attacks.
- Medical malpractice.
Here in Sarasota, the most common cause of serious bodily injuries are car accidents. However, as mentioned above, there are many other ways that serious bodily injuries can be caused.
Whatever the cause was for the serious bodily injury you or a loved one might have suffered, you still deserve some sort of financial compensation and justice. So, if you have acquired a personal injury from an accident that was not your fault and you suffered grave injuries, then you need to contact The Law Place today. Our team of personal injury lawyers is rested and ready to fight your case in the courts of Florida. Schedule your free consultation with us so our personal injury lawyers can begin your legal journey.
What Injuries Can You Get From a Serious Bodily Injury in Sarasota, FL?
In many states across the United States, there are different laws that define serious bodily injury. Here in Sarasota and the rest of Florida, a serious bodily injury is defined as a long-term injury. Common examples include:
- Severely broken bones.
- Loss of limb.
- Spinal injuries.
- Head and brain injuries.
- Neck injuries.
- Serious burns or cuts.
- Serious disfigurement.
The list mentioned above is not an absolute list. If you have suffered an injury and you are unsure whether you may be able to file a lawsuit or not, then you need to contact The Law Place today.
What Are Some Damages Commonly Awarded For Serious Bodily Injury In Sarasota, FL?
If you have suffered due to someone else’s negligence, then you should not have to suffer financially. We understand that if you are suffering from a serious bodily injury, you will be focusing on your recovery, which is why we are here to take away some of the stress and handle the legal process for you.
We also understand that when you are handling medical bills and lost wages, you may feel that paying for an attorney is impossible. At The Law Place, you pay nothing upfront, and our fee is only deducted as a percentage of your eventual settlement. That way, you are never left out of pocket. This is known as contingency work and is monitored by The State Bar Association.
There are many common damages that are recovered from cases just like yours. Here are some of the most common:
- Medical expenses – Serious bodily injury leads to large medical bills and expenses. You should be compensated for this. With the help of an attorney from The Law Place, we will ensure that you are compensated for past and future medical bills and expenses. This should also include any adjustments you have had to make to your home.
- Property damage – Property damage is also a common form of damages awarded to victims of serious bodily injury. For example, if you were injured in a road traffic accident, then you may need to pay for car repairs.
- Lost wages – If you are suffering from a serious injury, the chances are that you have had to take time away from work. At The Law Place, we will fight for your right to be compensated for both lost wages and the loss of future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering – If you have experienced any mental trauma or emotional distress after the incident, this is a form of pain and suffering. It is not easy to put a financial figure on your emotional trauma. However, it is important that you are compensated for this. With the help of a skilled and experienced Sarasota personal injury lawyer, you will be able to fight for what you deserve.
- Wrongful death – If you have lost a loved one in an accident that was not their fault, then you deserve to be compensated. We do understand that nothing will equal bringing them back. However, you should not have to suffer financially as a result of your loss. You should be able to claim damages to cover funeral costs and loss of consortium.
How to Secure Damages in Sarasota, FL?
To make sure your expenses are covered, then you will need to provide the following information:
- Records of what occurred, when you are able to, write down your recollection of what occurred.
- Photos of the injuries you sustained after the accident and as the develop over time.
- Photos of the scene of the accident.
- Medical records of examinations and hospital bills.
- Receipts of all medical expenses related to your injuries.
- Proof of lost wages.
After your claim is made, a lawyer will guide you through the following steps.
- You will make a claim against the at-fault party, and they will have a set amount of time to respond.
- You will need to be prepared to openly discuss the accident multiple times. You may have to clarify what happened and the injuries you sustained may need to be assessed.
- After some back and forth, a settlement could be reached outside of court. The Law Place will ensure you receive what you deserve and nothing less. If an agreement cannot be reached, then your case could go to court. Your attorney will be prepared for a possible court case and will have everything they need to make a strong case.
The idea of having to deal with the legal process in preparation for your claim in courts – even before getting to court – sounds stressful. But, this is why our team of Sarasota personal injury lawyers is here to help and get the compensation and justice you deserve.
Contact The Law Place in Sarasota, FL. Today!
If you or a loved one has suffered from a serious bodily injury in Sarasota or anywhere else in Florida, contact The Law Place today for a free consultation. Our Sarasota personal injury lawyers have over 75 years of combined experience dealing with cases like yours.
A Sarasota personal injury lawyer here at The Law Place will guide you through the legal system and take away this additional stress for you as you deal with your recovery.
Call us today at (941) 444-4444 to schedule your free consultation with us.