Tow trucks are a type of vehicle used to move impounded, disabled, improperly marked, or any other immovable vehicles. These vehicles are a common sight on the scene of car accidents and when a vehicle has broken down. However, despite their usefulness in scenarios like these, they do also possess the potential to cause serious car accidents. Because of their large size and the unique structure of a tow truck, an accident involving a vehicle like this carries a higher possible degree of danger in comparison to a regular car accident. At The Law Place, our legal team realizes the severity of the repercussions following these accidents, and we are here to help.
If you or somebody you know has experienced a tow truck accident that was not their fault, then you could be owed compensation for any damages incurred. If you choose The Law Place as your legal representation, you can be confident that you have chosen an experienced and dedicated team of accident lawyers on your side in these unusual times. Our team of accident lawyers has a combined 75 years of experience in dealing with the Florida legal system, and many are AVVO 10.0 rated. Contact us today if you have been involved in a Fort Myers car accident. Call our law firm using our toll-free number, (941) 444-4444, to organize a free consultation with our accident lawyers.
In This Article
- Tow Truck Accidents in Fort Myers, FL
- Common Varieties of Tow Trucks Found in Fort Myers, FL
- Common Types of Tow Truck Accidents in Fort Myers, FL
- Prevalent Causes Behind Tow Truck Accidents in Fort Myers, FL
- Common Injuries Following a Truck Accident in Fort Myers, FL
- Who is Liable After a Tow Truck Accident in Fort Myers, FL?
- Comparative Negligence Laws
- Potential Damages Following a Tow Truck Accident
- Contact The Law Place Today!
Tow Truck Accidents in Fort Myers, FL
Tow truck drivers operate across the state, navigating busy highways to residential streets, to carry out their job. This can mean that they are required to maneuver around tight spaces and awkward angles on quiet roads, therefore posing a danger to other drivers and pedestrians around them.
As well as this, the process of towing a vehicle provides its own array of risks due to the potential complexity of the truck and job itself. Truck drivers must be properly trained and supervised in this training if they are being employed to correctly use and drive a tow truck. In doing so, this should ensure their own safety and that of those around them.
Tow trucks possess a number of unique components that allow for towing an array of vehicles. For this reason, if, for instance, the cable that attaches the tow truck to the other vehicle is improperly handled or malfunctions, then the vehicle being towed can come loose from the truck. This can potentially cause a very serious car accident. As well as this, if, for example, the truck driver fails to correctly connect the towed vehicle’s brake lights to the tow truck’s own braking system, this will leave drivers on the road unaware as to when the truck will brake. This could result in a rear-end collision or another serious car accident.
If you or a loved one have suffered injuries following a Fort Myers car accident involving a tow truck, contact our law firm today. Accident lawyers at The Law Place will be able to provide legal advice and help you receive the justice you deserve. Call us today to organize a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer at our law firm.
For a free legal consultation with a tow truck accidents lawyer serving Fort Myers, call 941-444-4444
Common Varieties of Tow Trucks Found in Fort Myers, FL
There are multiple tow trucks seen on the road of Fort Myers, FL. Depending on the type of tow truck your collision is involved with, this could also potentially affect the severity of this accident. Examples of these types of tow trucks include:
- Flatbed truck – Often used on cars. This type of truck utilizes a hydraulically powered flatbed to move the broken-down car onto the flatbed.
- Integrated truck – This type of truck uses two separate mechanisms; they are also commonly used to tow small vehicles such as cars.
- Wheel-lift truck – This truck shares similarities with a hook and chain truck, but they instead fasten the vehicle from the underneath so as not to damage the vehicle, more specifically the paintwork.
- Hook and chain truck – Hook and chain trucks use chains with a hook to tow vehicles. They’re very common.
Fort Myers Tow Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Common Types of Tow Truck Accidents in Fort Myers, FL
The most common types of accidents involving a tow truck in Fort Myers, FL, include:
- Underride accidents – This occurs when a smaller vehicle gets stuck underneath a much larger one, this is extremely dangerous.
- Rear-end accidents – The vehicle behind crashes into the one ahead of it.
- Head-on accidents – The front ends of two vehicles collide with each other when driving in opposite directions. High speeds can lead to fatalities.
- T-bone accidents – The front of a vehicle collides with the side of another.
- Sideswipe accidents – A vehicle’s right-side crashes into the side of another vehicle.
All of these types of collisions have the potential to cause a wide range of damage to yourself and your vehicle, no matter the type. If you have been involved in a Fort Myers car accident, such as those listed above, then contact a Fort Myers accident attorney or one of our accident lawyers at The Law Place as soon as possible. A free consultation with an accident attorney at our law firm will help you better understand the legalities of your case and the likelihood of a payout from the appropriate insurance company.
Prevalent Causes Behind Tow Truck Accidents in Fort Myers, FL
There are a number of potential factors that can cause a Fort Myers car accident. Listed below are some of the most noted factors that have caused accidents involving a tow truck in Fort Myers, FL:
- Unsecured vehicle – The potential for a severe truck accident increases tenfold if the vehicle that is being towed becomes unsecured in transit. This is due to the fact the vehicle being towed has no driver in control. If this car becomes unsecured, it could easily lead to a chain reaction collision.
- Driving under the influence – If a driver is inebriated, either by alcohol, drugs, or both, this can seriously impair their ability to drive safely. This increases the likelihood of a truck accident due to poor reaction times and the driver making negligent mistakes.
- Distracted driving – When driving, there is an array of potential distractions in Fort Myers, FL. Examples include texting, eating, the radio, etc. If a driver becomes distracted, this could lead to a truck accident.
- Poor truck maintenance – Trucks need to be regularly inspected and maintained in Fort Myers, FL, because any issues have the potential to cause a dangerous truck accident on the road, causing injuries to many.
- Poor weather conditions – Fort Myers, FL, experiences a range of weather conditions throughout the year. Rain and high winds can increase dangers whilst driving, leading to a truck accident in some cases.
No matter the exact cause of your Fort Myers tow truck accident, if you have received injuries or damages that were not your fault, then you could be owed compensation for your suffering. If you are in or around the Fort Myers, FL, area, then contact The Law Place law firm to organize a free consultation with a car accident attorney from our team.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Common Injuries Following a Truck Accident in Fort Myers, FL
Injuries are sadly highly likely following a truck accident, so it is important you have a dedicated personal injury lawyer on hand to help you receive compensation for any injuries you may have received. Examples include:
- Traumatic head injuries.
- Neck injuries, including whiplash.
- Broken or fractured bones.
- Cuts, scrapes, or bruises.
- Internal bleeding or organ damage.
Contact a personal injury at The Law Place today to see if you could be owed compensation for your injuries. A personal injury lawyer will act on your behalf to ensure you are rightly compensated for any suffering.
Who is Liable After a Tow Truck Accident in Fort Myers, FL?
According to data provided by the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration (NSHTA), big trucks such as tow trucks are involved in around 4,000 fatalities and over 100,000 injuries annually across America. To determine liability following such a devastating accident your accident lawyer must show there was a duty of care owed, this duty was breached, and that this breach caused damages. Every driver owes a duty of care to others to act as a reasonable person would on the roads.
Possible parties that could be found liable after a truck accident in Fort Myers, FL, include:
- The truck driver.
- The trucking company.
- The manufacturer of the truck or parts.
- The maintenance team.
- A government group in Fort Myers, FL.
After a truck accident in Fort Myers, FL, it can be difficult to determine who exactly is liable and, in some cases, multiple parties can be found at fault. It is important you get the justice and compensation you deserve following a truck accident of this caliber. An accident lawyer from The Law Place will be able to do this on your behalf if you’ve been involved in a truck accident in Fort Myers, FL.
Comparative Negligence Laws
Florida’s civil legal system operates under comparative negligence, meaning multiple parties can be found liable for a truck accident under Florida Statute 768.81. Furthermore, it means that if you demonstrated some fault in the truck accident, you might still be able to receive compensation, as long as the fault was below 50%. For example, if you demonstrated 40% of the fault as you were recklessly driving, you may still receive a settlement, but the final amount had you not been reckless will be reduced by this percentage.
Contact The Law Place today, and we will be able to help you better understand the comparative negligence laws in Florida and will ensure you get the appropriate settlement after your Fort Myers truck accident.
Potential Damages Following a Tow Truck Accident
If you or a loved one have suffered injuries or other forms of damages following a car accident in Fort Myers, FL, then you could be owed damages. A personal injury accident lawyer from The Law Place will be able to help you understand what you could be owed. Examples include:
- Medical expenses – It is likely you will have received injuries that result in an abundance of medical bills. For any costs you encounter, you will be able to receive compensation that covers these expenses. For a long-lasting injury, you will also be able to claim for any projected bills too.
- Loss of wages – For any time you missed from work because of the truck accident, you should be able to claim back any wages that were not covered by your workplace. If you are sadly unable to return to work, then you may also be able to make a claim for a loss of earning capability.
- Property damage – If your vehicle was damaged in your truck accident, then you will be able to claim back any repair or replacement costs.
- Wrongful death – Under Florida Statute 768.21, a wrongful death lawsuit can be filed if you have lost a loved one to a truck accident in Fort Myers, FL. A settlement from a lawsuit of this kind will cover any funeral expenses and a loss of consortium.
- Pain and suffering – This form of damages involves any physical or mental suffering, as well as a loss of enjoyment in life resulting from the truck accident. This is, however, hard to prove and provide evidence for due to the unfortunate subjectivity of mental suffering. Therefore, it is best to have a personal injury lawyer on your side who can do all this for you correctly.
A personal injury lawyer from The Law Place will be able to identify what damages you may be owed after your truck accident in Fort Myers, FL. Contact our local law firm to organize a no-obligation, free consultation with an accident attorney on our team. We can help you understand what your final settlement may look like and give dedicated legal advice for your accident case.
Contact The Law Place Today!
The Law Place is a law firm operating across the state of Florida. If you have been involved in a truck accident in Fort Myers, FL, contact us today. Our team of dedicated and experienced accident lawyers possesses a combined 75 years of legal experience, and many are even AVVO 10.0 rated, so you can be confident your case will be in the most capable of hands. Having an experienced accident attorney from our team can significantly help you in any legal aid you may require and in receiving the justice that you deserve.
Contact The Law Place today if you’ve been involved in a truck accident that was not your fault in Fort Myers, FL. Our team realizes how life-changing an accident of this caliber can be, and we are here for you every step of the way to ensure you get the settlement you deserve. Phone our toll-free number, (941) 444-4444, to organize a free consultation with a truck accident lawyer at our firm; phone lines are open 24/7.