A tow truck is a vehicle used to move disabled, improperly parked, impounded, or otherwise immovable vehicles. They are commonly called to the site of car accidents and broken down vehicles. Despite them usually being useful in such scenarios, they have sometimes been known to be the cause of an accident themselves. Because of their sheer size and unique nature of a tow truck, an accident of this degree can be much more dangerous than a regular car accident. Here at The Law Place, our attorneys recognize that the repercussions of such an accident can be life-altering, and we are here to help.
If you or a loved one have been involved in such a collision, then you could be owed financial compensation. Through contacting The Law Place, you can be confident in knowing you have an experienced and dedicated truck accident attorney on your side through these trying times. Our team possesses a combined 75 years of experience in dealing with Florida law, paired with our law firm’s resources, knowledge, and determination we are more than suitable in representing you and your case. Contact us today on (941) 444-4444 to organize a free consultation – phone lines are open 24/7.
Clearwater, FL Tow Truck Accidents
Tow truck drivers have to navigate both busy highways and residential streets to aid with broken-down vehicles or with a car accident. In doing so, they may have to maneuver within tight spaces and awkward angles, thus posing a danger to those around them.
Additionally, the process of towing a vehicle brings with it its own set of risks. Truck drivers employed to correctly use and drive these vehicles have to be properly trained and supervised in doing so to ensure their safety and that of those around them.
For a tow truck to function, it has a unique set of components to allow for towing vehicles. Therefore, if, for example, the cable that attaches the truck and vehicle malfunctions or is improperly handled the vehicle being transported can come loose. This has the potential to cause a very serious accident. Similarly, if the truck driver fails to properly connect the transported vehicle’s brake lights to the tow truck’s braking system, this will leave drivers on the road susceptible to stops without warning. This could also result in a truck accident.
If you have suffered an injury resulting from a Clearwater truck accident, which was not your fault, contact our Clearwater FL law firm today. Our accident attorneys can provide sound legal advice and dedicated representation for your case if you choose to take your case to court.
For a free legal consultation with a tow truck accidents lawyer serving Clearwater, call 941-444-4444
Common Types of Tow Trucks in Clearwater, FL
There are four common types of trucks in Clearwater, FL, these are:
- Hook and chain tow truck – This type of truck uses chains with a hook to tow vehicles.
- Wheel-lift truck – This truck is similar to a hook and chain truck, but they fasten the vehicle from the underneath so as not to damage the car, specifically the paint.
- Flatbed truck – Typically used on cars. It utilizes a hydraulically powered flatbed to move the broken-down vehicle onto the flatbed.
- Integrated truck – Integrated trucks use two different mechanisms and are commonly used to tow small vehicles, mainly cars.
Clearwater Tow Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
Common Types of Tow Truck Accidents in Clearwater
As with driving any vehicle, a truck driver can make mistakes, which can cause several types of accidents. The most common in Clearwater include:
- Head-on collisions – The front ends of two vehicles hit each other when driving in opposite directions.
- Rear-end collisions – A vehicle crashes into the one ahead of it.
- T-bone collisions – The front of a vehicle crashes into the side of another.
- Sideswipe collisions – The right side of one vehicle crashes into the side of another.
- Underride collisions – When a smaller vehicle gets stuck underneath a larger one.
No matter the type, all of these collisions have the potential to cause immense damage to yourself and your car. If you have been involved in such an accident, or something similar involving a tow truck, then contact a Clearwater Fl personal injury lawyer or one of our accident attorneys at The Law Place today. Our initial free consultation will discuss your rights following a truck accident and the likelihood of a payout from your or the other driver’s insurance company.
Click to contact our Clearwater Truck Accident Lawyers today
Common Causes of Tow Truck Accidents in Clearwater, FL
There are numerous potential causes behind a Clearwater tow truck accident, listed below are some of the most noted causes for truck accidents in Clearwater FL:
- Reckless or negligent driving – Because of the power and size of a truck, this means that the potential danger is already there. Therefore, if a truck driver makes a mistake or drives as a reasonable person wouldn’t, they could cause a truck accident that has the potential to be fatal.
- Distracted driving – In a modern world, there are multiple distractions for a truck driver in Clearwater, FL. For example, cellphones, radios, and more. If the driver isn’t paying attention to the road, a truck accident could easily occur.
- Unsecure vehicle – If the vehicle that the truck is towing becomes unsecured in transit, then the potential for a serious accident is high. This is because the car being towed has no driver in control, thus making it quickly dangerous. This could then also lead to a chain reaction accident.
- Driving under the influence – If the truck driver is driving under the influence, then their driving ability will be impaired, and their reaction times slowed, this could make them make negligent mistakes that unwillingly lead to a truck accident.
- Poor truck maintenance – A truck needs to be regularly inspected and maintained in Clearwater Fl as any issues with the truck could lead to a dangerous accident on the road.
- Poor weather conditions – Clearwater Fl witnesses multiple weather conditions throughout the year. Adverse conditions can make driving any vehicle risky, but driving a large truck can be even more so.
Regardless of the cause behind your truck accident, if you have been involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault, then you could be owed compensation. Contact The Law Place to organize a free case evaluation with a knowledgeable truck accident attorney at our Clearwater FL firm.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Determining Liability After a Tow Truck Accident
A tow truck requires routine maintenance and inspections in Clearwater FL to ensure they can legally drive on the roads. Despite this, according to the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration (NSHTA), big trucks are involved in around 4,000 accident fatalities and over 100,000 injuries annually across the United States. To establish liability following a truck accident, then the driver had to have breached their duty of care and did not act as a reasonable person. Every driver on the road owes a duty of care to others, and they must act as a reasonable person would.
Parties who could be found liable after a truck accident include:
- The truck driver.
- The trucking company.
- The truck or parts manufacturer.
- The maintenance crew.
- A government entity.
Following a Clearwater truck accident, it can be difficult to determine liability, but it is important you get the justice you deserve, and your rights are not violated by a big insurance company. An experienced truck accident attorney from The Law Place will do all of the investigative work for your case so that you get the compensation you deserve following your Clearwater truck accident.
Damages Available After a Tow Truck Accident
If you have suffered injuries or property damage in a truck accident in Clearwater FL, then you could be owed compensation. An accident attorney will be able to aid in deciding what you may be owed for, examples include:
- Medical costs – For any medical bills you encountered after your truck accident, you should receive compensation covering any of these expenses.
- Pain and suffering – This includes any emotional and mental suffering, as well as a loss of enjoyment in life caused by the truck accident. This is difficult to prove and then translate into compensation, so it important you have a personal injury attorney fighting for you.
- Property damage – It is likely that after a truck accident, your vehicle will have sustained damage, so any costs for repairs or replacement can be compensated for.
- Lost wages – For any time you had off work due to the truck accident, you will be able to claim for any wages you missed out on from this period. If you are unable to return to work, you may also be able to claim for the loss of working capabilities.
- Wrongful death – As per Florida Statute 768.21, if you lose a loved one to a Clearwater truck accident, you could file a wrongful death lawsuit, or a truck accident lawyer can do this on your behalf. A settlement from this will cover any funeral expenses and loss of consortium.
A truck accident attorney from The Law Place will be able to talk you through these damages and which ones will apply to your case. Any losses sustained from a truck accident can be considerable, and thus, you should consider enlisting a truck accident attorney to help navigate the legal system and go against the insurance company or trucking company in question on your behalf.
Time Is of the Essence
If you have been involved in a truck accident in Clearwater, FL, it is advisable you consider hiring an accident attorney as soon as possible. In Clearwater, there is a statute of limitations per Florida Statute 95.11. This statute lays out that you will have four years from the date of the truck accident to submit your case for a claim. If you miss the deadline, your case will be forever barred, and you will be unable to receive compensation. Furthermore, if you need to submit a wrongful death lawsuit, then this time limit is reduced to two years.
Additionally, it is important to get medical attention as soon as possible after a Clearwater truck accident. If two weeks elapse after your truck accident, then it could be used to devalue your claim as it appears your injuries were not severe enough to receive a payout. This can affect your rights as a victim and hinder you from getting the justice you deserve.
Contact The Law Place today if you’ve been involved in a Clearwater truck accident to organize a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys at our Clearwater, FL, office.
Call The Law Place Today!
The Law Place is a law firm operating throughout the state, with offices in Clearwater, FL, Tampa, FL, Sarasota, FL, and Orlando, FL. We have a team of experienced and committed accident attorneys on our team. Each attorney has a wealth of skill and knowledge surrounding the Florida legal system so you can be confident that your case is in the best possible hands, and your rights are being protected. Having an experienced attorney can greatly aid in receiving a suitable settlement following any tow truck accidents.
If you have suffered damages following a Clearwater truck accident, then contact The Law Place today. Phone us on (941) 444-4444, to organize a free consultation with one of our experienced accident attorneys where our attorneys will ask you some simple questions and discuss your rights as a victim. Phone lines are open 24/7, so do not hesitate to call.
Call or text 941-444-4444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form