Slip and falls are among the most common accidents that result in over one million people taking trips to the emergency room every year. Most of the time, a slip and fall accident is caused by the negligence of another party, which means that you could be entitled to receive compensation in Venice.
If you suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident, then you might be struggling to cope with medical bills, pain and suffering, missed time at work, and other losses. You will need a personal injury lawyer who has experience working under premises liability law to handle your case and recover the compensation you are owed. Premise liability refers to property owners who have a responsibility to ensure the safety of their property. If they fail to maintain their property’s safety and someone ends up slipping and falling, then the person can hold the property owner liable for their injuries and other losses in Venice.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of collective experience when it comes to winning compensation for slip and fall accident victims in Venice and across the State of Florida. Our team of personal injury attorneys has managed hundreds of slip and fall cases, and we have the necessary skills and resources to succeed in recovering the compensation that you deserve – regardless of whether your accident was down to the negligence of another individual or business.
Contact The Law Place now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight for the compensation that you deserve after a slip and fall accident in Venice.
Reasons for Slip and Fall Injuries in Venice, FL.
A fall can happen for a variety of reasons. If there is someone who is responsible for fixing or maintaining the location, then you could be entitled to compensation to cover your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more. Here are some of the most common reasons for a Venice slip and fall accident to occur:
- Uneven floors – Ground that is not properly level can be difficult to navigate.
- Wet or slippery floors – Water is one of the biggest causes of falls. This includes leaky windows, improperly cleaned floors, and wet sidewalks
- Long cords or wires – Electricity cords and wires are dangerous, and they should not be stretched across the floor.
- Cracked sidewalks – Weather conditions and construction can result in cracked sidewalks. If this is the case, there must be warning signs posted in clear sight.
- Inadequate lighting – Every business is responsible for maintaining the safety of their property, and this also means providing proper lighting for everyone to see where they are going.
- Drop-offs – An extension or added stairway in a building can lead to a drop-off that is deeper than usual, which becomes a safety hazard. If this is the case, there must be warning signs posted in clear sight.
- Broken railings – A railing that is broken or in disrepair can provide inadequate support for people.
Common Injuries From Slip and Falls in Venice, FL.
Injuries sustained in a slip and fall accident range from minor to serious damage. It is important that you put your health and safety first by going to the doctor and getting a checkup. Otherwise, your pain could linger and develop into more severe injuries at a later date.
Here are some of the most common injuries in a slip and fall accident:
- Broken bones – In a fall accident, the bones tend to absorb the initial impact. Any person can break any bone in the human body depending on the circumstances of the fall.
- Brain injury – If a person takes a blow to the head in a fall, it can result in a brain injury, which can have serious repercussions if left undiagnosed for a long time. It is imperative that you see a doctor and get a checkup after you fall and hit your head. Most brain injuries can take time to develop symptoms, and over time they can affect your ability to make decisions.
- Spine injury – A fall that imposes an unnatural force on a person’s spine can lead to a devastating injury to the spinal cord, which is a group of nerves protected by the spine that carry messages from the brain to the body. A spinal injury can cause temporary or permanent paralysis if there is a rupture or even swelling around the spinal cord.
- Nerve and soft tissue damage – The shock of a fall can inflict tears and sprains on soft tissue, including muscles, ligaments, and tendons, and it can even cause permanent damage to nerves. The majority of these injuries will most likely heal, but they can also result in serious chronic pain and leave a catastrophic impact on a person’s life without proper medical treatment.
How to Protect Your Legal Rights After a Slip and Fall Accident in Venice, FL.
It is important that you understand your legal rights following a slip and fall accident, and you will have to take the necessary measures to protect your rights in Venice. This includes:
- Going to the hospital – You must always put your health and safety first after an accident and seek medical attention. This will ensure that your injuries are fully documented from the very beginning, which will help your personal injury claim.
- Notify the property owner – You will have to notify the property owner, regardless of where you were hurt. You might have to fill out an incident report if you were injured on a business property. In this case, remember to get a copy of the incident report for your own personal records.
- Collect evidence – Take pictures of the accident, the clothes you were wearing at the time, medical bills and records, proof of lost wages, and more.
- Keep a journal – It is beneficial for your case if you keep a journal and continue to document your injuries, treatment, the recovery process, and the impact that the accident has had on your life.
- Hire a personal injury lawyer – It is never a good idea to represent yourself in a personal injury claim. The slip and fall lawyers at The Law Place will protect your legal rights and help you to win the full amount of compensation that you are owed.
How The Law Place Will Handle Your Slip and Fall Case in Venice, FL.
If you were hurt on someone else’s property, you need to hire a personal injury lawyer that will take care of all of the details regarding building and filing your personal injury claim from beginning to end. The Law Place will offer you:
- Free consultation – Our law firm does not charge for the first consultation. During our meeting, we will review your case in full and offer you advice on the best course of action you should take following your accident. Once the consultation is over, you are free to decide which direction you want to go and if you want us to represent your case.
- Investigation – Our team of slip and fall lawyers will conduct an extensive investigation into your case in order to prove that the other party was negligent. We will gather evidence, facts, and other relevant pieces of information that will support your personal injury claim.
- Sources of compensation – We will evaluate your case and the extent of the damages caused in order to identify all of the possible sources of compensation that you could be owed. Rest assured that our team of slip and fall lawyers will fight for the maximum amount of compensation to cover all of your injuries and losses from the at-fault party.
- Documentation – Our law firm will document your case and fill you in every step of the way. We will calculate your damages and prove your losses in order to establish how much the negligent party owes you. To do this, we will collect medical bills, receipts, references, and other paperwork.
- Working with professionals – We work with a long list of professionals, such as those in the medical, vocational, and accident reconstruction fields. Our law firm will work side by side with them to build your personal injury claim.
- Negotiation – Insurance companies are widely known for wanting to pay accident victims less money than they deserve. Our team of slip and fall accident lawyers will work hard to demand the full amount of compensation that you are owed.
- Court – If the insurance company refuses to offer you a reasonable settlement for your case, then our team of slip and fall lawyers will be ready to take your case to court to increase the stakes.
Can I Sue for a Slip and Fall in Venice, FL?
You can sue for a Venice slip and fall accident, but you will need to check that your case meets the criteria before you are allowed to file a personal injury lawsuit. There are three key aspects that you have to prove in order to sue for a slip and fall accident:
- Duty of care – You need to establish that the business or property owner had a duty of care to you.
- Breach of duty – You will need to prove that the property owner did not exercise an appropriate amount of care in maintaining the safety of their property. The amount of time that the hazard existed on the property will need to be determined, along with finding out if the property owner knew or should have been aware of the hazard. In addition, you will also need to show if the property owner was given a sufficient amount of time to fix the hazard.
- Causation – You will need to prove that your injuries were caused by the property not being maintained. The intention of a personal injury claim or a lawsuit is to compensate you for your injuries and other losses, which means that you will have to provide documentation.
How Much Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth in Venice, FL?
A personal injury lawyer from The Law Place will investigate your case and calculate your injuries and other losses. Here are some of the most common losses that you might face after a slip and fall accident:
- Medical bills – Past, present, and future medical expenses, which include hospitalization, physical therapy, doctor’s visits, rehabilitation, prescription medication, and more.
- Lost wages – Time that you have had to take off work as a result of your injuries, which includes any lost future earning potential.
- Property damage – Mobile phone, clothes, and other personal property that was damaged in your slip and fall accident.
- Pain and suffering – Physical pain, mental anguish, emotional trauma, and a reduction in your quality of life since your slip and fall accident.
The comparative negligence law declares that you will be assigned a percentage of fault if you were found to be partly liable for your slip and fall accident in the State of Florida. This means that the compensation that you are awarded will be reduced by the percentage that you were at fault.
Comparative negligence law is written in Florida Statute 768.81.
How Much Compensation Can I Expect to Recover for My Slip and Fall Injuries in Venice, FL?
Our team of personal injury lawyers at The Law Place will calculate the extent of your damages to estimate the amount of compensation you can expect to recover for your slip and fall accident.
- The scale of your injuries – The most important factor is the level of injuries that you suffered. For example, a person with a broken leg will most likely receive less compensation than a person who sustained a traumatic brain injury.
- The lost time at work – The longer that you cannot work due to your injuries, the more compensation you will be entitled to receive in a personal injury claim.
- The costs of treatment – If your medical treatment is complex, then it will most likely be more expensive.
It is essential that you share every pain and ache that you experience after a slip and fall accident with your personal injury lawyer, as they will be the ones to document your case and calculate the extent of your damages.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for a Slip and Fall Accident in Venice, FL?
You will have up to four years from the time of your slip and fall accident to file a personal injury claim according to the statute of limitations in the State of Florida.
You might think that you have a lot of time to do this, but it will take a personal injury lawyer a while to conduct an investigation, gather evidence, negotiate with the insurance companies involved, calculate your losses and file your claim. If you miss the deadline, then the court will drop your case. That is why you must reach out to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after your Venice slip and fall accident.
Information on the statute of limitations is from Florida Statue 95.11.
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Slip And Fall in Venice, FL?
The bottom line is that you will need a lawyer if you were hurt in any shape or form. A personal injury lawyer is able to do many things that you will not be able to accomplish on your own.
Our team of slip and fall lawyers has the necessary experience and knowledge of personal injury law, and we are trained to take on cases like yours. We will reach out to witnesses, calculate your damages, and negotiate with insurance companies in order to recover a reasonable amount of compensation.
What Type of Accidents Are Classed as Slip and Falls in Venice, FL?
A slip and fall accident is described as any time that a person loses their balance and suffers the impact of a fall. An accident like this can happen in a number of different circumstances, such as an office floor where a tile is loose, a flat surface like a wet sidewalk that is covered with leaves, or a staircase that has a broken handrail. No matter the circumstances, a slip and fall accident can lead to serious injuries.
Where Are Slip and Fall Accidents Likely to Happen in Venice, FL?
A sidewalk near an office building, in a grocery store, a shopping center, or a parking lot are only a few examples of where a slip and fall accident can happen. Certain businesses, such as a restaurant, a hotel, an amusement park, a grocery store, or even a movie theatre, will most likely see a higher amount of slip and fall accidents. Another likely place for a slip and fall accident to occur is an office building with tile floors that are washed and polished daily by a cleaning crew.
Is the Store Always Liable for a Slip and Fall Accident in Venice, FL?
The store can technically not always be held liable for a slip and fall accident. If you are looking to establish liability for your slip and fall accident, then you must be able to prove that the property owner was aware of the problem or that they had a reasonable expectation to believe that there will be a problem.
For example, if you walk into a grocery store and someone drops a bottle of alcohol that smashes on the floor in front of you, and it causes you to slip and fall, then the owner of the property could not have had a reasonable expectation to believe that this problem would manifest.
Another example, if an employee of the grocery store was unloading new merchandise and they drop a bottle of alcohol, which smashes, and they leave the liquid on the floor for hours, then the store can be held liable as their employee had a responsibility to report or clean up the hazard.
How Do I Know Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Accident in Venice, FL?
A slip and fall lawyer from The Law Place will immediately begin to seek evidence to support your personal injury claim as soon as you make the call to us. For instance, we will start to gather statements from eyewitnesses, people who work on the property where you were injured, video footage, photographs, and more in order to identify who should be held liable for your slip and fall accident.
The owner of the property is usually the one who will be held responsible for the problem that caused your slip and fall accident. However, there could be other parties involved that contributed to your slip and fall in Venice. For example, if you slipped and fell in the workplace, but an outside company is responsible for the maintenance of the building. Our team of personal injury attorneys will help you to identify all of the parties that resulted in your accident, and we will hold them accountable for your injuries and other losses.
Contact The Law Place Today in Venice, FL.
If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident due to the negligence of another party, then you will have to seek legal representation in order to hold them liable in the court of law in Venice.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of combined experience in managing personal injury claims for clients that have suffered as a result of someone else’s negligence in Venice and throughout the State of Florida. Our law firm has successfully managed hundreds of personal injury-related cases, and we have plenty of experience in working under premises liability law.
No one should have to suffer alone in the aftermath of an accident, and our team of personal injury lawyers will be there to support you every step of the way. We will negotiate with the insurance company involved to make sure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries, medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more.
Pick up your phone to speak to one of our personal injury attorneys today, in which we will discuss the circumstances surrounding your case and offer you advice on the best move to make following your Venice slip and fall accident. The phone lines to our offices are open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
Contact The Law Place now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight for the compensation that you deserve after a slip and fall accident in Venice.
Call or text 941-444-4444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form