It is no surprise that many catastrophic accidents that happen in Fort Myers involve a truck of some sort. The sheer weight and size of the vehicle can have devastating consequences and often results in serious injuries and major vehicle damage.
Across Florida, increasing numbers of people are using online delivery services, resulting in more and more heavy-goods trucks taking to the road every day. Whist accidents involving a commercial vehicle are less common than car accidents; they are more likely to have catastrophic and life-changing effects.
If you or a loved one have found yourself involved in a commercial vehicle accident in Fort Myers, then you could be entitled to compensation. At The Law Place, our team of attorneys has an abundance of experience in dealing with delivery truck accidents like yours. Contact us today on (941) 444-4444 and receive a free consultation from an experienced accident lawyer.
In This Article
- UPS Trucking Company Statistics
- What Are the Most Common Causes of Delivery Truck Accidents in Fort Myers, FL?
- What Are the Most Common Injuries From a Truck Accident in Fort Myers, FL?
- What Are the Most Common Damages From a Truck Accident in Fort Myers?
- Who Is Liable for a Commercial Vehicle Accident in Fort Myers, FL?
- How Can an Accident Attorney Help You?
- Get in Touch With The Law Place Today!
UPS Trucking Company Statistics
According to the UPS website, the company has over 11.5 million pick-up and delivery customers and delivers 5.5 billion packages each year. In addition, the FMCSA Safety Measurement System gathers data on commercial goods vehicles and notes that UPS has a fleet of 125,949 vehicles and 118,498 drivers. With a customer base and fleet of vehicles this large, it is unsurprising that accidents involving UPS trucks happen every year.
For a free legal consultation with a ups truck accidents lawyer serving Fort Myers, call 941-444-4444
What Are the Most Common Causes of Delivery Truck Accidents in Fort Myers, FL?
There are many reasons why commercial vehicle accidents happen in Fort Myers, FL. Some of the most common causes of delivery truck accidents are:
- Driver fatigue – Often, delivery drivers are required to work long shift patterns and spend many hours behind the wheel. When tired, the ability to concentrate becomes increasingly difficult, and reaction times slow down, making accidents more likely to occur.
- Driver’s under the influence of alcohol or drugs – These substances can interfere with the ability to react quickly and make decisions.
- Badly loaded or overloaded cargo – When cargo is poorly loaded, the vehicle becomes more difficult to control and steer, increasing the chances of an accident.
- Company negligence – Delivery companies have a duty of care to look after their staff when this is neglected, the chance of an accident happening increases.
- Stopping and standing hazard – Often, delivery drivers are given ambitious deadlines to reach required destinations in the shortest amount of time possible. As a result, drivers are regularly forced to cut corners to reach these deadlines. In these situations, moving traffic and pedestrians are often forced to navigate around the delivery truck. This presents a hazard and increases the chances of an accident.
Fort Myers UPS Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
What Are the Most Common Injuries From a Truck Accident in Fort Myers, FL?
Serious injuries are often sustained from a commercial vehicle accident due to the large size and weight of the truck. Some of the most common are:
- Burns, cuts, or lacerations.
- Head, neck, or back injury
- Fractured or broken bones.
- Internal bleeding.
- Pain and suffering.
- Wrongful death.
No matter how big or small the injury, at The Law Place in Fort Myers, an accident lawyer is here to support you and guide you through the process to ensure you get the compensation that you deserve. Our lawyers are 100% committed to developing a positive attorney-client relationship.
What Are the Most Common Damages From a Truck Accident in Fort Myers?
In Fort Myers, FL., every vehicle accident has several claims that you can file for. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, an accident lawyer can help you claim for the following damages:
- Any medical expenses from the past, present, and future.
- Any loss of income or potential loss of income.
- Pain and suffering. This takes into account the emotional trauma you have experienced as well as any suffering that may prevent you from living the life you once lived.
- Wrongful death. We know no amount of compensation can make up for the loss of life but claiming for these damages can help to cover the cost of pain and suffering, as well as any potential loss of income and funeral expenses.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Who Is Liable for a Commercial Vehicle Accident in Fort Myers, FL?
Establishing liability for an accident is a key factor in a commercial vehicle accident claim. Unlike many other accidents, finding liability for a trucking accident can be tricky as there may be more than one liable party. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, an injury lawyer will be able to establish liability against the following parties:
- Truck drivers.
- The trucking company, such as UPS.
- The truck manufacturer.
- Third-party providers.
- The insurance company.
Even if you may be partly at fault for the commercial vehicle accident in Fort Myers, under Florida Law Statue 768.81, you will still be able to make a claim as long as you are less than 50% liable. This is because Florida operates under a comparative negligence scheme meaning that each party is liable to pay for the damages according to the amount that the party is found to be at fault. For example, if you are found to be 20% responsible for the accident, then you will be liable to pay for 20% of the damages. At The Law Place, an accident lawyer can guide you through this process and support you with your case to ensure the best possible outcome is achieved.
How Can an Accident Attorney Help You?
If you have been unfortunate enough to experience an accident with a commercial vehicle in Fort Myers, FL., then it is highly recommended that you seek the help of an experienced injury lawyer as soon as possible after the injury.
Florida Statute 95.11 states that you have up to four years from the date of your accident in which to make a claim. However, the sooner a claim is made, the sooner a lawyer can work to gather evidence and information to support your case. This supportive evidence can include witness testimonials and any information gathered from the scene of the accident, such as skid marks or road signs.
In addition, it is a legal requirement in Florida for all trucks to be fitted with an Event Data Recorder (EDR), otherwise known as a black box. These black boxes collect information that can prove vital in establishing the cause of the accident and determining who is at fault.
Get in Touch With The Law Place Today!
At The Law Place in Fort Myers, we are here to offer our support and guidance through what we know can be a very stressful and traumatic experience. An injury lawyer will work hard to support you with your case and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
It is important to know that all our lawyers work on a contingency basis. This means that any legal fees will simply be deducted from your final settlement. Therefore, if, for any reason, your case is unsuccessful, you won’t owe us anything.
Our Fort Myers phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so we can be here to offer you support and advice when you need it most. Call us today on (941) 444-4444 and receive a free consultation from one of our lawyers.