According to Florida Law, any driver caught driving with a suspended license will be charged with a criminal offense. Whilst many consider driving on a suspended license to be a minor offense, depending on the circumstances in which you were caught, you may find yourself facing severe punishments and penalties.
If you have been caught driving with a suspended license in Port Charlotte, FL., then it important to seek legal advice from a reputable law firm. At The Law Place, we have a team of competent criminal defense lawyers who have accumulated over 75 years of experience between them. Our criminal defense attorneys have dealt with an abundance of cases similar to yours, so you can rest assured that your case will be in knowledgeable and adept hands.
Our Port Charlotte phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you can call us at a time most convenient for you and relax in the knowledge that an adept attorney will be on the other end of the phone to offer valuable legal advice. Call us today at (941) 444-4444 to arrange a free consultation.
In This Article
- Reasons for Your License Suspension in Port Charlotte
- What Penalties Can You Face for Driving With a Suspended Licence in Port Charlotte, FL?
- What Possible Defences Can a Defence Lawyer Use if You Are Caught Driving With a Suspended License in Port Charlotte?
- Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney at The Law Place Today!
Reasons for Your License Suspension in Port Charlotte
There are numerous reasons why your driver’s license might be suspended in Florida. Some of the most common reasons for your license suspension are:
- If the driver has previously been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI).
- If the driver has obtained too many points on their driver’s license.
- If the driver has been classed as a habitual traffic offender.
- If law enforcement asks the driver to take a breathalyzer test and they refuse.
- If the driver has been ordered to appear in court and fails to do so.
- If the driver fails to pay child support payments on time.
- If you fail to pay any court payments or fines on time.
- If the driver has been previously convicted of a drug-related crime.
- If the driver fails to have the relevant insurance for the motorized vehicle.
- If the driver has a prior conviction for fleeing to elude.
- If the driver has a prior conviction for petty theft.
- If the driver has a prior conviction for racing on Florida highways.
Regardless of the reasons behind your license suspension, it is strongly recommended to seek legal advice as soon as possible following the arrest. Our team of criminal defense attorneys will be able to provide valuable legal advice on the best way to proceed with your case to ensure you receive the best possible outcome.
For a free legal consultation with a driving with suspended license lawyer serving Port Charlotte, call 941-444-4444
What Penalties Can You Face for Driving With a Suspended Licence in Port Charlotte, FL?
Florida Statute 322.34 highlights the penalties that you may face for driving with a suspended license. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your arrest, you may face any one of the following charges:
- Second-degree misdemeanor – If this is the first time that you have been caught driving with a suspended license, then you will face a second-degree misdemeanor Penalties for this charge may include up to $500 payable in fines and up to 60 days in prison.
- First-degree misdemeanor – A driver who has been caught driving on a suspended license for a second time will be convicted with a first-degree misdemeanor charge. Penalties for a first-degree misdemeanor include up to a year in jail and fines of up to $1000.
- Third-degree felony – If a driver is caught driving on a suspended license for the third time, their charge will be elevated to a third-degree felony. The penalties for this charge may include fines of up to $5,000 and up to 5 years in prison.
- Habitual traffic offender – A driver that is caught driving on a suspended license more than three times within a 5 year period will be classed as a habitual traffic offender. A habitual traffic offender will have their driver’s license revoked for up to 5 years, and they also won’t be able to obtain a hardship license for at least a year from the date of their latest conviction.
If you are currently facing criminal charges for driving on a suspended license, then it is strongly advised to seek legal representation as soon as you possibly can. At The Law Place, our attorneys will investigate your case and build a strong defense strategy that may see your charges reduced or even eliminated. Call us today to arrange a free consultation.
Port Charlotte Driving with Suspended License Lawyer Near Me 941-444-4444
What Possible Defences Can a Defence Lawyer Use if You Are Caught Driving With a Suspended License in Port Charlotte?
By seeking the advice of a reputable criminal defense attorney, you are placing your case into the best possible hands. A criminal defense attorney will investigate your case and work to develop a strong defense strategy that could stand up in court. By having a strong defense strategy, your lawyer may be able to minimize your possible conviction, and in the best cases, have your penalties and punishments reduced or even eliminated.
Depending on the situation surrounding your arrest, your defense lawyer may be able to put forward any number of the following strategies:
- Traffic stop – The traffic stop carried out by the traffic officer was unlawful.
- Mistaken identity – You have been accused of an offense that you did not carry out.
- Not a motor vehicle – The vehicle you were operating at the time of the traffic stop is not classed as a motor vehicle under Florida law.
- Reinstated license – You can prove that your license has been reinstated.
- Not driving on a public road – You were not driving on a public Florida road or highway.
- Lack of knowledge – You were unaware that your license had been suspended and therefore unaware that you were committing a crime.
At The Law Place, our lawyers have over 75 years of combined experience, so you can relax in the knowledge that your case is in knowledgeable and competent hands. Contact us today to arrange a free consultation with an adept criminal defense attorney.
Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney at The Law Place Today!
If you have been arrested for driving with a suspended license in Port Charlotte, then it is strongly advised to seek legal representation from a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible after the arrest. At The Law Place, we have a team of highly skilled defense attorneys with over 75 years of collective experience in defending the accused and handling cases similar to yours.
An adept criminal defense attorney will investigate the intricacies of your case and will work on your behalf to develop a strong defense strategy that can stand up in court. A strong defense strategy can be used to negotiate with the prosecution to persuade them to reduce or dismiss your charges entirely. Alternatively, the prosecution may also offer you a plea bargain.
At our law firm, we are fully aware of how daunting and worrying facing criminal charges can be. Our attorneys pride themselves on developing honest and open attorney-client relationships built on trust and transparency. A criminal defense lawyer will be there to support you and your case every step of the way and will do their utmost to ensure you gain the best possible outcome. It is also worthwhile noting that many of our criminal defense attorneys are AVVO rated 10.0. This is the best possible rating and is awarded based on trial skills, awards received, length of service as well as client reviews and testimonials.
At The Law Place, we offer all our customers a free consultation where we will assess the legitimacy of your case and offer valuable and comprehensive legal advice, and all at no obligation. Call our Port Charlotte offices today to schedule yours. Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you can call us at a time most suitable for you and feel confident in the knowledge that an attorney will be there to answer your call. Call us today at (941) 444-4444.