The roads in Florida are known for being dangerous places for drivers. Aggressive drivers are responsible for a large number of accidents in Port Charlotte. When a person drives aggressively, they are putting all other road users in severe danger, including pedestrians and cyclists. It is important that a victim of this type of car accident is adequately compensated for any harm and injuries they have suffered. Additionally, it’s important that aggressive drivers are held accountable for their actions in order to make the roads in Florida a safer place for everyone.
If you have been involved in a car accident resulting from aggressive driving in Port Charlotte, it is important that you seek compensation. Here at The Law Place, we have over 75 years of experience in multiple practice areas, including car accident cases. We offer a free consultation where you can speak with one of our experienced car accident attorneys with no strings attached. They will offer you honest and skilled legal advice on how best to proceed with your case to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Don’t hesitate to contact us. The sooner you do, the more time we have to build a strong personal injury claim for your motor vehicle accident caused by an aggressive driver in Port Charlotte.
Call our law firm today for a free consultation at (941) 444-4444. Our lines are open 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Reasons for Aggressive Driving
When a person drives aggressively, they knowingly put all other road users in danger. Some examples of aggressive driving can include weaving through traffic, breaking the speed limit, disregarding traffic signs, and not letting drivers who have the right of way pass. It is common for an aggressive driver to cause a serious car accident in Port Charlotte and when a collision does happen, it can leave victims severely injured.
There is a multitude of reasons a person may get aggressive while behind the wheel. Some of these include:
- Driving under the influence (DUI) – When a person drives a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, they are a lot more likely to cause a serious accident. This is because their judgment and ability to react quickly are affected.
- Road rage – Although road rage and aggressive driving are two different things, it is one of the most common reasons a driver will be likely to drive recklessly and aggressively. A person who suffers from road rage will often be overcome with rage and unable to react coherently.
- Running late – It is common for people in Port Charlotte to drive aggressively due to them running late for work, a hospital appointment, or anything else which they deem important. A person may speed or run a red light in order to get to their destination on time which can cause a collision.
How to Spot an Aggressive Driver in Port Charlotte, Florida
If you notice a person driving aggressively on the roads of Port Charlotte, you should always do everything you can to avoid them in order to prevent a car accident from happening. There are often clear indicators that someone is either engaging in aggressive, reckless, or distracted driving. Some of the main behaviors seen include:
- Cutting off other drivers.
- Tailgating vehicles on the road.
- Weaving through traffic.
- Disregarding stop signs, red lights, or other traffic signals.
- Passing other vehicles when not permitted to do so.
- Failing to signal to other vehicles.
Most Frequent Driving Accidents Caused by Aggressive Driving in Port Charlotte
As aggressive drivers are usually disobeying a lot of safety rules on the roads, it is common for a car accident to happen. This can often result in severe collisions happening, with those involved being seriously injured. Some of the main types of car accidents caused by these road users include:
- Rollover collisions.
- Head-on accidents.
- Rear-end accidents.
- Side-impact collisions.
- Multi-vehicle collisions.
Any type of road accident can result in serious personal injuries and property damage occurring. This is particularly the case with aggressive driving accidents as the culprits are often rage-driving without any regard for other road users by speeding, weaving through traffic, or breaking the rules of the road. If you have been involved in an accident resulting from an aggressive driver, you should seek legal assistance as soon as possible. The courts in Florida can be unforgiving towards aggressive drivers, and if you have the backing of a skilled personal injury attorney, there is a higher chance you will receive compensation. Our law firm is skilled in managing cases like this and can fight for justice on your behalf. Schedule a free case evaluation today with one of our lawyers to discuss your best options.
Duty of Care in Florida
If you are a road user in Port Charlotte or anywhere in Florida, you owe a duty of care to all other drivers and pedestrians to ensure that the roads are kept safe. This means that you must obey all the rules of the road and take all reasonable measures to protect others. In order to receive any damages for injuries you’ve suffered, you must prove the following three steps:
- A duty of care – It must be demonstrated that the other party owed you a duty of care, which is an automatic duty for all road users in Florida.
- A breach of duty – You must prove that the other driver breached their duty to you by reckless or aggressive driving and by failing to take adequate steps to ensure your safety.
- The breach resulted in you being injured – A personal injury attorney will be able to demonstrate that your injuries were a direct result of the other driver’s breach of their duty of care.
- Damages suffered – It must be shown that you have been injured as a result of the accident, which could include personal injuries, property damage, pain and suffering, or wrongful death.
Damages for Port Charlotte Car Accidents
In order to receive compensation for your Port Charlotte car accident, it must be shown that you suffered damages. An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to demonstrate this on your behalf. Some of the damages that may be available to you could include:
- Medical bills – If you have a personal injury due to the crash, you can claim any medical expenses resulting from this injury. This can include bills for hospital appointments and any transport to and from the appointments.
- Property damage – You can seek compensation for any damage to your vehicle, including valuable items contained inside at the time of the collision.
- Lost wages – If you have been left unable to work because of your Port Charlotte car accident, you can claim any loss of earnings, including any potential future earnings.
- Pain and suffering – It is possible to receive compensation for any emotional or physical distress you have suffered as a result of the crash. This can include not being able to partake in a hobby that you enjoyed prior to suffering a personal injury.
- Loss of a loved one – If someone you love has died in a collision, you can claim compensation in the form of wrongful death damages. This covers funeral expenses and loss of income to a family household.
As Florida is a no-fault state, it is required that you contact your insurance company immediately following an accident. You typically have 24 hours to do this, but your particular policy will indicate the time frame you have. It is likely that you will have to deal with the other party’s insurance company in order to receive compensation.
Dealing with insurance companies alone can be a stressful process as their top priority is usually to prevent paying you out a lot of money. We recommend speaking with a Florida personal injury attorney prior to contacting your insurance company. Our law firm offers a free consultation where you can receive guidance from one of our personal injury attorneys before dealing with your insurance. We can advise you on how best to communicate with them in order to prevent them from using the information you’ve given them to devalue your claim.
If you decide to proceed with us as your legal representative, our accident lawyers will do all communicating with the insurance company on your behalf. Our priority is ensuring that you receive the compensation you are owed and that they don’t try and offer you a low settlement. Additionally, one of our personal injury attorneys will speak with the other driver’s company to prevent them from assigning any blame to you in order to reduce the settlement.
The Legal Process for Injuries Caused by an Accident
If you decide to make a claim against an aggressive driver following a collision, an experienced attorney will carry out a number of steps to ensure you receive compensation. These steps include:
- Gathering evidence – An attorney will collect all possible evidence from the accident, including police reports, witness reports, and any photographic evidence from the scene. They will examine this and use it to build a strong personal injury claim on your behalf.
- Negotiating – A lawyer will negotiate with the insurance of both you and the other party. They will also negotiate with the lawyers of the other party.
- Filing a claim – Once all of the evidence is gathered, an attorney will file a claim in court. At this stage, it is likely that the other party may offer a settlement to avoid a trial. If the settlement is sufficient, you will receive the compensation you are owed for your accident.
- Going to trial – In the event that the settlement offered is not sufficient for the damages you have suffered from the collision, an attorney will bring the case to trial and will argue in front of a judge on your behalf.
The legal process in Florida is difficult to navigate on your own and can often be a lengthy process. This is why we recommend having the assistance of an experienced accident lawyer. They can carry out all of the investigating and litigating on your behalf to ensure that you are adequately compensated.
Contact The Law Place Today
If you have been involved in a collision involving an aggressive driver in Port Charlotte, you should contact us at The Law Place today. We have over 75 years of experience in multiple practice areas, including aggressive driving collision cases. Our law firm knows how stressful these situations are, and we are here to assist you every step of the way. We always offer the highest standard of legal assistance and have established a great attorney-client relationship.
We offer a free consultation where you can receive legal advice from one of our personal injury lawyers about your case. They will discuss what compensation may be available to you, including medical bills, property damage, and wrongful death, amongst others. If you choose for us to represent you, we will fight tirelessly to ensure that you are adequately compensated for the injuries you have suffered.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a lawyer from our firm at (941) 444-4444. Our lines are open 24/7 for your convenience.